|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the queen's abode to speak with her?
2. Why do people search out the magic items that belonged to the Valheru?
3. Why can't they leave Krondor right away?
4. What does a ranger tell Thomas and Dolgan one night?
5. Who is caught when Amos gets in a fight and Martin, Arutha and Amos run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the man standing outside a room doing and wearing? What can you infer from his dress and manner?
2. Who are the Valheru and why would anyone want any of their artifacts? What can you infer about the Valheru from their artifacts effect on people?
3. Why is the boat trip Amos will be doing dangerous, what do they do about that and how does it turn out?
4. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
5. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
6. What does Milamber undo in secret?
7. Who is the small boy that misled Arutha and what does he say about himself?
8. What does Pug see on his last test?
9. Who appears at the queen's abode and what does he tell the queen about their enemy and himself?
10. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
Essay Topic 2
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Magician, Master is difficult to gage its success because it is one in a series of books about Midkemia. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of the book that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of the book that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
Essay Topic 3
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)