|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy say about himself?
2. Why do the armies obey Thomas?
3. What does Arutha finally tell his captors?
4. What does the Great One do with Pug?
5. What do the crew members do after they make it through the bad area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
2. Who are the Valheru and why would anyone want any of their artifacts? What can you infer about the Valheru from their artifacts effect on people?
3. Who appears at the queen's abode and what does he tell the queen about their enemy and himself?
4. How does Pug end up being taken from Kotmasu's estate?
5. What does Hochopepa tell Milamber he will have to do to stay alive?
6. What does the man in black give the young man everyday?
7. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
8. What does the queen decide? What does that decision tell you about the queen?
9. What does Chogana tell Pug before Pug leaves the camp?
10. What does Pug see on his last test?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The trip will be dangerous because of the time of year. The captain of the boat is fired and Amos, the prince's captain, volunteers to take charge. He tells Arutha to tell his family goodbye before he leaves and to put things in order in case he doesn't make it back.
1. Discuss what courage is and what it means in light of the above statements.
2. Do you think every person would have the courage to get on Amos' boat willingly? Why or why not?
3. In view of the above statement, explain how desperation will make people do dangerous tasks. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the characters in this book undergo great changes. Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast Thomas to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book.
2. Compare and contrast Pug to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Consider his name change in your analysis.
3. Compare and contrast Arutha to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Does he grow into the potential to be a king?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)