|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Prince Arutha's father?
2. What does the queen do for Thomas?
3. What kind of news does Martin bring Arutha?
4. What has happened in Krondor by the time Arutha arrives?
5. What happens when they leave the harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hokanu tell his father about Pug and Laurie?
2. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
3. Why is Aglaragnna discussing Thomas? How do you think a person who had been given some great power would change
4. Why is the boat trip Amos will be doing dangerous, what do they do about that and how does it turn out?
5. Who are the Valheru and why would anyone want any of their artifacts? What can you infer about the Valheru from their artifacts effect on people?
6. What happens to Arutha when he runs to escape?
7. What does the queen do after the battle in relationship to Thomas? Explain why the queen's actions may be a foreshadowing of future events.
8. What does Hochopepa tell Milamber he will have to do to stay alive?
9. What happens when Amos wakes and what is the gist of his and Trevor's conversation?
10. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hokanu saves Laurie and Pug and it seems to the reader that he tries to befriend them. Laurie seems to be learning to trust in Hokanu as he talks to them but you see that Pug doesn't trust the Tsurani and may feel that he is trying to use them.
1. Do you think you could be friends with someone who has enslaved you? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Pug is right in his suspicions about Hokanu? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. What kind of friendship can be had between people of two different classes, such as a slave and an owner, a very wealthy person and a factory worker, etc. Do you think friendship between two widely dispersed classes is possible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The ship manages to make it through the Straights of Darkness after which every member of the crew pledges their loyalty to Amos.
1. Discuss the meaning of loyalty in view of the statement above.
2. Why do you think the men are willing to be loyal to Amos because he brought them through the Straits of Darkness?
3. Do you think loyalty that can go and come so easily is strong loyalty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Pug falls in love with a servant girl in the house and wants to marry her but is forbidden. You aren't told why but that it goes back to the secrets they are keeping from Pug and Laurie.
1. Do you think the above situation is a foreshadow of something later in the book? Why or why not?
2. Do you think two slaves should be allowed to marry each other? Why or why not?
3. How closely do you think the slave situation in this book resembles the one that used to be in place before the Civil War in America? Discuss in detail the differences and similarities.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)