|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Prince Arutha's father?
2. Where are Pug and Laurie working at the opening of the book?
3. Why do they fear Thomas' artifact?
4. Why was Chogana at the swamp?
5. What does Amos tell Arutha when he brings up his piracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hochopepa tell Milamber he will have to do to stay alive?
2. What does the queen decide? What does that decision tell you about the queen?
3. What does Cook tell Arutha about why they took him, Martin and Amos?
4. How does Pug end up being taken from Kotmasu's estate?
5. What happens when Amos wakes and what is the gist of his and Trevor's conversation?
6. What does Pug see on his last test?
7. What does Hokanu tell his father about Pug and Laurie?
8. Who is Kasumi and what do they want Pug and Laurie to do with him?
9. What was the dream the young man had and what did he do about it?
10. What does the man in black give the young man everyday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
Essay Topic 2
It appears the queen cares very much for Thomas. Many of the elves seem to fear the magic that he possesses because of the Valheru the magic came from. She has set up her magicians to cast helping spells on Thomas, and it appears to help him in keeping the darkness from taking him over. She doesn't want him to be her husband. The reader sees that she is afraid of what would happen if he does go toward the dark magic. The reader also sees she is afraid of watching him grow old while she remains young.
1. Given the situation with Thomas the queen seems to have quite a dilemma. Discuss what you think are her options and if you were in her place what you would do.
2. Discuss thoroughly the implications of becoming the spouse of someone immortal if you are mortal.
3. Discuss in depth the qualities we know are in Thomas that would help him fight the darkness and the qualities he has that might push him towards the darkness.
Essay Topic 3
One of the common elements of fantasy is the presence of some sort of magic. Discuss the following:
1. Is it fair that Pug (Milamber) is honored and elevated in position from that of a slave when it is discovered that he has great magical abilities?
2. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed magical abilities similar to that which Pug (Milamber) has?
3. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population that possesses magical abilities? Why or why not?
4. Do you think most people would use their magical abilities for good or evil? Explain.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)