|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chogana tell Pug he must seek?
2. Who is caught when Amos gets in a fight and Martin, Arutha and Amos run?
3. What does Arutha say when he asks why Radburn wants him?
4. Who is Prince Arutha's father?
5. What has happened to the flags the Tsurani fly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hokanu tell his father about Pug and Laurie?
2. Who is Kasumi and what do they want Pug and Laurie to do with him?
3. What was the dream the young man had and what did he do about it?
4. Who brings news to Arutha about the Tsurani and who is winning the war?
5. What does Pug see on his last test?
6. What does Milamber undo in secret?
7. What does Charles tell Arutha about the Tsurani?
8. What does the queen do after the battle in relationship to Thomas? Explain why the queen's actions may be a foreshadowing of future events.
9. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
10. Who are the Valheru and why would anyone want any of their artifacts? What can you infer about the Valheru from their artifacts effect on people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
Essay Topic 2
A man stands outside a plain cell room. The man is dressed in a plain white robe, as are the other young men there. There are men in black robes that appear and nod to one of the young men meaning for them to follow. The man stands and waits on a man in black for him to follow. He is not allowed to talk. He doesn't remember being told that, but he knows he isn't allowed. He can't remember anything before waking in his cell, but it doesn't worry him.
1. Discuss in detail what a reader might infer about the man in white and his situation based only on the above paragraph.
2. Do you think it is a normal response for someone to not care if she/he can't remember anything and even knows he's not supposed to talk? Why or why not?
3. Explain in detail how you think you would feel in the above situation using examples from the book and your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)