|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arutha say when he asks why Radburn wants him?
2. Why does Hokanu hang Nogamu?
3. What does a ranger tell Thomas and Dolgan one night?
4. Who is Radburn?
5. What does Milamber's true name in the Tsurani tongue mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Valheru and why would anyone want any of their artifacts? What can you infer about the Valheru from their artifacts effect on people?
2. What does Cook tell Arutha about why they took him, Martin and Amos?
3. Who is Kasumi and what do they want Pug and Laurie to do with him?
4. How does Pug end up being taken from Kotmasu's estate?
5. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
6. What does Hokanu tell his father about Pug and Laurie?
7. Why is the boat trip Amos will be doing dangerous, what do they do about that and how does it turn out?
8. What is the gist of Anita and Arutha's conversation about Pug?
9. What does Milamber undo in secret?
10. Who brings news to Arutha about the Tsurani and who is winning the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 10 when Kasumi and Laurie finally manage an audience with King Rodric, they realize the king is either insane or so ill that he cannot carry out his royal duties. Discuss the following:
1. How does King Rodric's mental and/or physical health impact the hope for peace with the Tsurani?
2. A number of insane rulers have been tolerated in the "real" world who have wrecked havoc with their people's lives and country's well being. Should a king/queen retain sovereignty if it is obvious they are not fit to rule?
3. Why do you think insane rulers are often allowed to make poor decisions that affect a great number of people?
Essay Topic 2
Amos Trask is a former pirate who commits many crimes during his days of piracy. Discuss the following:
1. Amos is pardoned for his crimes by Lyam when Lyam becomes king. Does this seem fair that Amos can just be forgiven his past because he helped Arutha and Anita?
2. Should a king or President or other head of state have the right of pardon? Why or why not.
3. Is there a place in the legal system for pardons? Argue for or against the idea.
Essay Topic 3
It appears the queen cares very much for Thomas. Many of the elves seem to fear the magic that he possesses because of the Valheru the magic came from. She has set up her magicians to cast helping spells on Thomas, and it appears to help him in keeping the darkness from taking him over. She doesn't want him to be her husband. The reader sees that she is afraid of what would happen if he does go toward the dark magic. The reader also sees she is afraid of watching him grow old while she remains young.
1. Given the situation with Thomas the queen seems to have quite a dilemma. Discuss what you think are her options and if you were in her place what you would do.
2. Discuss thoroughly the implications of becoming the spouse of someone immortal if you are mortal.
3. Discuss in depth the qualities we know are in Thomas that would help him fight the darkness and the qualities he has that might push him towards the darkness.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)