Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amos do with the ship?
2. What does the man in charge ask Arutha?
3. In what is the man standing outside a cell room dressed?
4. What does a ranger tell Thomas and Dolgan one night?
5. Who is the foe Chogana tells Pug he must face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Milamber makes it through the rift?
2. What happens when Milamber gets angry at the arena?
3. What is the man standing outside a room doing and wearing? What can you infer from his dress and manner?
4. What happens to Arutha when he runs to escape?
5. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
6. Where are Martin and Garret going and what does Martin tell Garret he wants from him?
7. What does Charles tell Arutha about the Tsurani?
8. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
9. What does Princess Anita do when she enters the room and what does she say?
10. What does the Warlord want from the Great Ones and what is their response?
Essay Topic 1
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 10 when Kasumi and Laurie finally manage an audience with King Rodric, they realize the king is either insane or so ill that he cannot carry out his royal duties. Discuss the following:
1. How does King Rodric's mental and/or physical health impact the hope for peace with the Tsurani?
2. A number of insane rulers have been tolerated in the "real" world who have wrecked havoc with their people's lives and country's well being. Should a king/queen retain sovereignty if it is obvious they are not fit to rule?
3. Why do you think insane rulers are often allowed to make poor decisions that affect a great number of people?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)