|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in black tell him to do?
2. Why does the Association wish to put Milamber to death?
3. Who is the foe Chogana tells Pug he must face?
4. Why does Nogamu want to kill Laurie?
5. With whom does Pug fall in love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charles tell Arutha about the Tsurani?
2. What does Arutha decide to do?
3. What was the dream the young man had and what did he do about it?
4. Why is the boat trip Amos will be doing dangerous, what do they do about that and how does it turn out?
5. Who appears at the queen's abode and what does he tell the queen about their enemy and himself?
6. What does Hochopepa tell Milamber he will have to do to stay alive?
7. What does Hokanu tell his father about Pug and Laurie?
8. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
9. What is the man standing outside a room doing and wearing? What can you infer from his dress and manner?
10. What does Chogana tell Pug before Pug leaves the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amos Trask is a former pirate who commits many crimes during his days of piracy. Discuss the following:
1. Amos is pardoned for his crimes by Lyam when Lyam becomes king. Does this seem fair that Amos can just be forgiven his past because he helped Arutha and Anita?
2. Should a king or President or other head of state have the right of pardon? Why or why not.
3. Is there a place in the legal system for pardons? Argue for or against the idea.
Essay Topic 2
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Magician, Master is difficult to gage its success because it is one in a series of books about Midkemia. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of the book that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of the book that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
Essay Topic 3
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)