|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Tsurani view the conducting of war?
2. Why was Chogana at the swamp?
3. How long has this man been at this place?
4. What does Thomas decide they must do to win the war?
5. What has happened in Krondor by the time Arutha arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pug go when he reaches Midkemia and who does he see? What does the man tell him?
2. What is to be done about Guy du Bas-Tyra and what does Guy do?
3. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
4. What happens when Thomas confronts the Tsurani prisoners?
5. What has happened to Thomas since he was free from Ashen-Shugar? How does the Queen feel about that?
6. Who is Kasumi and what do they want Pug and Laurie to do with him?
7. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
8. How does Lyam feel about being king and what does he think about Martin?
9. What happens when Milamber first arrives at the Shinzawai Lords house?
10. What happens when King Rodric arrives?
Essay Topic 1
Amos Trask is a former pirate who commits many crimes during his days of piracy. Discuss the following:
1. Amos is pardoned for his crimes by Lyam when Lyam becomes king. Does this seem fair that Amos can just be forgiven his past because he helped Arutha and Anita?
2. Should a king or President or other head of state have the right of pardon? Why or why not.
3. Is there a place in the legal system for pardons? Argue for or against the idea.
Essay Topic 2
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
Essay Topic 3
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
This section contains 3,403 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)