|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the queen do for Thomas?
2. Who were the Valheru?
3. What did Guy tell Anita?
4. Who is attacking the elves?
5. In what is the man standing outside a cell room dressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pug see on his last test?
2. Who is the small boy that misled Arutha and what does he say about himself?
3. What does Arutha decide to do?
4. What does Milamber undo in secret?
5. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
6. What does Hochopepa tell Milamber he will have to do to stay alive?
7. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
8. What does the queen do after the battle in relationship to Thomas? Explain why the queen's actions may be a foreshadowing of future events.
9. What is the man standing outside a room doing and wearing? What can you infer from his dress and manner?
10. What happens when Amos wakes and what is the gist of his and Trevor's conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
Essay Topic 2
Amos Trask is a former pirate who commits many crimes during his days of piracy. Discuss the following:
1. Amos is pardoned for his crimes by Lyam when Lyam becomes king. Does this seem fair that Amos can just be forgiven his past because he helped Arutha and Anita?
2. Should a king or President or other head of state have the right of pardon? Why or why not.
3. Is there a place in the legal system for pardons? Argue for or against the idea.
Essay Topic 3
Hokanu saves Laurie and Pug and it seems to the reader that he tries to befriend them. Laurie seems to be learning to trust in Hokanu as he talks to them but you see that Pug doesn't trust the Tsurani and may feel that he is trying to use them.
1. Do you think you could be friends with someone who has enslaved you? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Pug is right in his suspicions about Hokanu? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. What kind of friendship can be had between people of two different classes, such as a slave and an owner, a very wealthy person and a factory worker, etc. Do you think friendship between two widely dispersed classes is possible? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)