|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Milamber undo in secret?
2. Who comes up to the man and nods at him to follow?
3. What has happened to the flags the Tsurani fly?
4. What does Amos do with the ship?
5. Who is Radburn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
2. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
3. What does the man in black give the young man everyday?
4. Who is the small boy that misled Arutha and what does he say about himself?
5. How does Pug end up being taken from Kotmasu's estate?
6. What does the queen do after the battle in relationship to Thomas? Explain why the queen's actions may be a foreshadowing of future events.
7. Who appears at the queen's abode and what does he tell the queen about their enemy and himself?
8. What is known about Pug and Laurie in the opening of the book?
9. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
10. What does Princess Anita do when she enters the room and what does she say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
A man stands outside a plain cell room. The man is dressed in a plain white robe, as are the other young men there. There are men in black robes that appear and nod to one of the young men meaning for them to follow. The man stands and waits on a man in black for him to follow. He is not allowed to talk. He doesn't remember being told that, but he knows he isn't allowed. He can't remember anything before waking in his cell, but it doesn't worry him.
1. Discuss in detail what a reader might infer about the man in white and his situation based only on the above paragraph.
2. Do you think it is a normal response for someone to not care if she/he can't remember anything and even knows he's not supposed to talk? Why or why not?
3. Explain in detail how you think you would feel in the above situation using examples from the book and your own life.
Essay Topic 3
The trip will be dangerous because of the time of year. The captain of the boat is fired and Amos, the prince's captain, volunteers to take charge. He tells Arutha to tell his family goodbye before he leaves and to put things in order in case he doesn't make it back.
1. Discuss what courage is and what it means in light of the above statements.
2. Do you think every person would have the courage to get on Amos' boat willingly? Why or why not?
3. In view of the above statement, explain how desperation will make people do dangerous tasks. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)