|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is attacking the elves?
2. Why do people search out the magic items that belonged to the Valheru?
3. What does Arutha say when he asks why Radburn wants him?
4. With whom does Pug fall in love?
5. What does Milamber's true name in the Tsurani tongue mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the gist of Anita and Arutha's conversation about Pug?
2. What does the queen decide? What does that decision tell you about the queen?
3. Why is Aglaragnna discussing Thomas? How do you think a person who had been given some great power would change
4. What does Hochopepa tell Milamber he will have to do to stay alive?
5. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
6. What happens to Arutha when he runs to escape?
7. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
8. What happens when Amos wakes and what is the gist of his and Trevor's conversation?
9. What does Milamber undo in secret?
10. What does the man in black give the young man everyday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas is in a sense possessed when he dons the Valheru suit of armor. When in chapter 9, he starts beheading the Tsurani guards and slaves, he does so not as Thomas but as the Valheru who used to own the suit. Discuss the following:
1. Should Thomas be held responsible for the murders he commits when possessed by the Valheru?
2. In our culture, someone who commits a crime such as murder who is proven to be insane is remanded to a psychiatric institution rather than prison. Do you think this is the best way to handle the criminally insane?
3. Is anyone who murders sane? Is the act of murder in and of itself insane?
Essay Topic 3
Amos Trask is a former pirate who commits many crimes during his days of piracy. Discuss the following:
1. Amos is pardoned for his crimes by Lyam when Lyam becomes king. Does this seem fair that Amos can just be forgiven his past because he helped Arutha and Anita?
2. Should a king or President or other head of state have the right of pardon? Why or why not.
3. Is there a place in the legal system for pardons? Argue for or against the idea.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)