|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hokanu hang Nogamu?
2. What happens when they leave the harbor?
3. What does Milamber mean?
4. Why do people search out the magic items that belonged to the Valheru?
5. Why was Chogana at the swamp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the gist of Anita and Arutha's conversation about Pug?
2. What happens when Milamber gets angry at the arena?
3. Where do Kasumi and Laurie go and what happens when they first arrive there?
4. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
5. What does Milamber undo in secret?
6. What happens when King Rodric arrives?
7. What do Pug and the others first find when they go to Macros' island?
8. What does he say about Pug and the Tsurani home world? What does he do with his library?
9. Who brings news to Arutha about the Tsurani and who is winning the war?
10. What does the queen decide? What does that decision tell you about the queen?
Essay Topic 1
Calin is resolved to kill Thomas if need be. It seems the Queen has held Calin off but is told by Macros that pushing Thomas too far away may drive Thomas toward the darkness because of the emotions it will invoke.
1. Why do you think the queen pushing Thomas away might push him towards the darkness? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Calin has for killing Thomas and why you agree or disagree with those reasons.
3. Discuss thoroughly what can you infer about Marcos based on his interactions and words with the Queen and others.
Essay Topic 2
A man stands outside a plain cell room. The man is dressed in a plain white robe, as are the other young men there. There are men in black robes that appear and nod to one of the young men meaning for them to follow. The man stands and waits on a man in black for him to follow. He is not allowed to talk. He doesn't remember being told that, but he knows he isn't allowed. He can't remember anything before waking in his cell, but it doesn't worry him.
1. Discuss in detail what a reader might infer about the man in white and his situation based only on the above paragraph.
2. Do you think it is a normal response for someone to not care if she/he can't remember anything and even knows he's not supposed to talk? Why or why not?
3. Explain in detail how you think you would feel in the above situation using examples from the book and your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)