|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Pug fall in love?
2. What is anyone that is not Tsurani called in this land?
3. Why do the armies obey Thomas?
4. What does the captain do with the crew?
5. What kind of news does Martin bring Arutha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
2. What was the dream the young man had and what did he do about it?
3. Who are the Valheru and why would anyone want any of their artifacts? What can you infer about the Valheru from their artifacts effect on people?
4. What does Pug see on his last test?
5. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
6. Why is Aglaragnna discussing Thomas? How do you think a person who had been given some great power would change
7. What do Pug and the others first find when they go to Macros' island?
8. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
9. What does the queen decide? What does that decision tell you about the queen?
10. What happens when Laurie and Kasumi reach Krondor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Magician, Master is difficult to gage its success because it is one in a series of books about Midkemia. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of the book that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of the book that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
Essay Topic 2
Hokanu saves Laurie and Pug and it seems to the reader that he tries to befriend them. Laurie seems to be learning to trust in Hokanu as he talks to them but you see that Pug doesn't trust the Tsurani and may feel that he is trying to use them.
1. Do you think you could be friends with someone who has enslaved you? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Pug is right in his suspicions about Hokanu? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. What kind of friendship can be had between people of two different classes, such as a slave and an owner, a very wealthy person and a factory worker, etc. Do you think friendship between two widely dispersed classes is possible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Amos Trask is a former pirate who commits many crimes during his days of piracy. Discuss the following:
1. Amos is pardoned for his crimes by Lyam when Lyam becomes king. Does this seem fair that Amos can just be forgiven his past because he helped Arutha and Anita?
2. Should a king or President or other head of state have the right of pardon? Why or why not.
3. Is there a place in the legal system for pardons? Argue for or against the idea.
This section contains 3,359 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)