|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amos suggest Martin do?
2. What does the man in charge ask Arutha?
3. What kind of news does Martin bring Arutha?
4. Why does the crew begin to mutiny on Amos?
5. Who does Thomas want to capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cook tell Arutha about why they took him, Martin and Amos?
2. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
3. What does the queen decide? What does that decision tell you about the queen?
4. What does Milamber undo in secret?
5. Who is Kasumi and what do they want Pug and Laurie to do with him?
6. What happens to Arutha when he runs to escape?
7. What does Pug see on his last test?
8. What does Princess Anita do when she enters the room and what does she say?
9. Who is the small boy that misled Arutha and what does he say about himself?
10. What was the dream the young man had and what did he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Magician, Master is difficult to gage its success because it is one in a series of books about Midkemia. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of the book that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of the book that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)