|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Milamber mean?
2. What kind of news does Martin bring Arutha?
3. Who is the foe Chogana tells Pug he must face?
4. Why does the crew begin to mutiny on Amos?
5. What does Milamber's true name in the Tsurani tongue mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the man standing outside a room doing and wearing? What can you infer from his dress and manner?
2. What does Hokanu tell his father about Pug and Laurie?
3. What happens when Amos wakes and what is the gist of his and Trevor's conversation?
4. Why is Aglaragnna discussing Thomas? How do you think a person who had been given some great power would change
5. What is known about Pug and Laurie in the opening of the book?
6. Who is the small boy that misled Arutha and what does he say about himself?
7. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
8. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
9. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
10. What does Thomas tell the council about his ambitions and what do he and the queen do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A man stands outside a plain cell room. The man is dressed in a plain white robe, as are the other young men there. There are men in black robes that appear and nod to one of the young men meaning for them to follow. The man stands and waits on a man in black for him to follow. He is not allowed to talk. He doesn't remember being told that, but he knows he isn't allowed. He can't remember anything before waking in his cell, but it doesn't worry him.
1. Discuss in detail what a reader might infer about the man in white and his situation based only on the above paragraph.
2. Do you think it is a normal response for someone to not care if she/he can't remember anything and even knows he's not supposed to talk? Why or why not?
3. Explain in detail how you think you would feel in the above situation using examples from the book and your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
The ship manages to make it through the Straights of Darkness after which every member of the crew pledges their loyalty to Amos.
1. Discuss the meaning of loyalty in view of the statement above.
2. Why do you think the men are willing to be loyal to Amos because he brought them through the Straits of Darkness?
3. Do you think loyalty that can go and come so easily is strong loyalty? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,366 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)