|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Arutha see when he was completely in the room?
2. Who is Prince Arutha's father?
3. Who does Thomas want to capture?
4. What does the queen do for Thomas?
5. Why does the Association wish to put Milamber to death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about Pug and Laurie in the opening of the book?
2. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
3. Who brings news to Arutha about the Tsurani and who is winning the war?
4. Who is Kasumi and what do they want Pug and Laurie to do with him?
5. What does Princess Anita do when she enters the room and what does she say?
6. What does Cook tell Arutha about why they took him, Martin and Amos?
7. How does Pug end up being taken from Kotmasu's estate?
8. What is the gist of Anita and Arutha's conversation about Pug?
9. Why is the boat trip Amos will be doing dangerous, what do they do about that and how does it turn out?
10. What is the man standing outside a room doing and wearing? What can you infer from his dress and manner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
Essay Topic 2
Calin is resolved to kill Thomas if need be. It seems the Queen has held Calin off but is told by Macros that pushing Thomas too far away may drive Thomas toward the darkness because of the emotions it will invoke.
1. Why do you think the queen pushing Thomas away might push him towards the darkness? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Calin has for killing Thomas and why you agree or disagree with those reasons.
3. Discuss thoroughly what can you infer about Marcos based on his interactions and words with the Queen and others.
Essay Topic 3
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)