|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has this man been at this place?
2. What does the man in charge ask Arutha?
3. What does Milamber's true name in the Tsurani tongue mean?
4. What does a ranger tell Thomas and Dolgan one night?
5. Who is Hokanu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who appears at the queen's abode and what does he tell the queen about their enemy and himself?
2. What does Arutha decide to do?
3. What is the man standing outside a room doing and wearing? What can you infer from his dress and manner?
4. What happens when Amos wakes and what is the gist of his and Trevor's conversation?
5. What does Charles tell Arutha about the Tsurani?
6. What was the dream the young man had and what did he do about it?
7. How does Pug end up being taken from Kotmasu's estate?
8. What does Hochopepa tell Milamber he will have to do to stay alive?
9. What does Pug see on his last test?
10. What has happened in Krondor by the time they arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
Essay Topic 2
Calin is resolved to kill Thomas if need be. It seems the Queen has held Calin off but is told by Macros that pushing Thomas too far away may drive Thomas toward the darkness because of the emotions it will invoke.
1. Why do you think the queen pushing Thomas away might push him towards the darkness? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Calin has for killing Thomas and why you agree or disagree with those reasons.
3. Discuss thoroughly what can you infer about Marcos based on his interactions and words with the Queen and others.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the characters in this book undergo great changes. Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast Thomas to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book.
2. Compare and contrast Pug to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Consider his name change in your analysis.
3. Compare and contrast Arutha to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Does he grow into the potential to be a king?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)