|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Nogamu tries to kill Pug and Laurie?
2. Who is caught when Amos gets in a fight and Martin, Arutha and Amos run?
3. Why can't they leave Krondor right away?
4. What does the visitor tell the queen about Thomas?
5. What kind of news does Martin bring Arutha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cook tell Arutha about why they took him, Martin and Amos?
2. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
3. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
4. What does Hochopepa tell Milamber he will have to do to stay alive?
5. Who brings news to Arutha about the Tsurani and who is winning the war?
6. What does the queen decide? What does that decision tell you about the queen?
7. What is the gist of Anita and Arutha's conversation about Pug?
8. What does Milamber undo in secret?
9. What has happened in Krondor by the time they arrive?
10. What is known about Pug and Laurie in the opening of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 7, Princess Anita is smuggled on board in order to escape a forced marriage with Guy du Bas-Tyra, who wants to use Anita as a means to gain the throne. Anita announces to her cousin, Arutha, that their parents had intended them to marry for the sake of the kingdom ever since the two were quite young. In many cultures both in fantasy and the "real" world, women have no say over who they marry--even in the Western world up until the 20th century, women were often forced to marry for political or social expediency. Discuss one of the following:
1. How would you react if you were told at a very early age who you would marry? Would you be willing to obey your parents knowing that there is very little future for an unmarried woman.
2. Even though women have been controlled as far as marriage for centuries, some men are just as "stuck" with an unwanted marriage partner as a women--these are usually nobles who must marry to keep or raise the standing of their families. If you are a man and are told who you would marry and you found that person quite unacceptable, would you give up money and position to defy your parents?
3. Why do you think forced marriages are occurring less and less often even in countries where woman are still quite oppressed?
Essay Topic 3
Pug falls in love with a servant girl in the house and wants to marry her but is forbidden. You aren't told why but that it goes back to the secrets they are keeping from Pug and Laurie.
1. Do you think the above situation is a foreshadow of something later in the book? Why or why not?
2. Do you think two slaves should be allowed to marry each other? Why or why not?
3. How closely do you think the slave situation in this book resembles the one that used to be in place before the Civil War in America? Discuss in detail the differences and similarities.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)