|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Princess Anita with Trevor?
2. What do they plan on Pug and Laurie teaching Kasumi?
3. Who is Prince Arutha's father?
4. What does Anita tell Arutha about Pug?
5. Who is Ashen-Shugar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the queen decide? What does that decision tell you about the queen?
2. Why is Aglaragnna discussing Thomas? How do you think a person who had been given some great power would change
3. Who are the Valheru and why would anyone want any of their artifacts? What can you infer about the Valheru from their artifacts effect on people?
4. What does Hokanu tell his father about Pug and Laurie?
5. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
6. Who appears at the queen's abode and what does he tell the queen about their enemy and himself?
7. What is known about Pug and Laurie in the opening of the book?
8. What happens to Arutha when he runs to escape?
9. What does Charles tell Arutha about the Tsurani?
10. Who is Kasumi and what do they want Pug and Laurie to do with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
A man stands outside a plain cell room. The man is dressed in a plain white robe, as are the other young men there. There are men in black robes that appear and nod to one of the young men meaning for them to follow. The man stands and waits on a man in black for him to follow. He is not allowed to talk. He doesn't remember being told that, but he knows he isn't allowed. He can't remember anything before waking in his cell, but it doesn't worry him.
1. Discuss in detail what a reader might infer about the man in white and his situation based only on the above paragraph.
2. Do you think it is a normal response for someone to not care if she/he can't remember anything and even knows he's not supposed to talk? Why or why not?
3. Explain in detail how you think you would feel in the above situation using examples from the book and your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the characters in this book undergo great changes. Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast Thomas to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book.
2. Compare and contrast Pug to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Consider his name change in your analysis.
3. Compare and contrast Arutha to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Does he grow into the potential to be a king?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)