|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Martin and Amos think about Arutha with Anita on the ship?
2. Why do the armies obey Thomas?
3. What does Arutha say when he asks why Radburn wants him?
4. What does Amos tell Arutha when he brings up his piracy?
5. What has happened in Krondor by the time Arutha arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arutha decide to do?
2. What happens to Arutha when he runs to escape?
3. Who is Kasumi and what do they want Pug and Laurie to do with him?
4. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
5. What does Princess Anita do when she enters the room and what does she say?
6. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
7. Who are the Valheru and why would anyone want any of their artifacts? What can you infer about the Valheru from their artifacts effect on people?
8. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
9. How does Pug end up being taken from Kotmasu's estate?
10. What does Cook tell Arutha about why they took him, Martin and Amos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Pug falls in love with a servant girl in the house and wants to marry her but is forbidden. You aren't told why but that it goes back to the secrets they are keeping from Pug and Laurie.
1. Do you think the above situation is a foreshadow of something later in the book? Why or why not?
2. Do you think two slaves should be allowed to marry each other? Why or why not?
3. How closely do you think the slave situation in this book resembles the one that used to be in place before the Civil War in America? Discuss in detail the differences and similarities.
Essay Topic 3
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)