|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the Tsurani add to the war in the spring?
2. What does Amos tell Arutha when he brings up his piracy?
3. What do Martin and Amos think about Arutha with Anita on the ship?
4. What does Milamber mean?
5. Why does Amos volunteer to take charge of Prince Arutha's boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the boat trip Amos will be doing dangerous, what do they do about that and how does it turn out?
2. What happens to Arutha when he runs to escape?
3. What does Pug see on his last test?
4. How does Pug end up being taken from Kotmasu's estate?
5. What does Cook tell Arutha about why they took him, Martin and Amos?
6. Why do the soldiers in the army tend to obey Thomas? What can you infer about Thomas from this?
7. What does Charles tell Arutha about the Tsurani?
8. What does Arutha decide to do?
9. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
10. What does the man in black give the young man everyday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
Essay Topic 3
A man stands outside a plain cell room. The man is dressed in a plain white robe, as are the other young men there. There are men in black robes that appear and nod to one of the young men meaning for them to follow. The man stands and waits on a man in black for him to follow. He is not allowed to talk. He doesn't remember being told that, but he knows he isn't allowed. He can't remember anything before waking in his cell, but it doesn't worry him.
1. Discuss in detail what a reader might infer about the man in white and his situation based only on the above paragraph.
2. Do you think it is a normal response for someone to not care if she/he can't remember anything and even knows he's not supposed to talk? Why or why not?
3. Explain in detail how you think you would feel in the above situation using examples from the book and your own life.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)