|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hokanu ask Pug and Laurie?
2. What does Thomas decide they must do to win the war?
3. Why can't they leave Krondor right away?
4. Why do they fear Thomas' artifact?
5. What relation is the Great One to Komatsu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the gist of Anita and Arutha's conversation about Pug?
2. Who brings news to Arutha about the Tsurani and who is winning the war?
3. What does Hochopepa tell Milamber he will have to do to stay alive?
4. What does Princess Anita do when she enters the room and what does she say?
5. What does the queen do after the battle in relationship to Thomas? Explain why the queen's actions may be a foreshadowing of future events.
6. Who are the Valheru and why would anyone want any of their artifacts? What can you infer about the Valheru from their artifacts effect on people?
7. What was the dream the young man had and what did he do about it?
8. What does Milamber undo in secret?
9. What did Nogamu try to do to Pug and Laurie and how did that turn out?
10. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tsurani slaves are captured along with Tsurani guards, the slaves suffer the same punishment as the guards--at least until Thomas is stopped from killing any more of either group. Discuss the following:
1. If one is a slave, should s/he be held accountable for an action s/he takes when ordered to do so by his/her master?
2. Should a slave refuse to commit something such as murder even if the refusal would result in the slave's death?
3. Who is morally responsible for a slave's actions who is following the orders of the master--the slave, the master or both?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 7, Princess Anita is smuggled on board in order to escape a forced marriage with Guy du Bas-Tyra, who wants to use Anita as a means to gain the throne. Anita announces to her cousin, Arutha, that their parents had intended them to marry for the sake of the kingdom ever since the two were quite young. In many cultures both in fantasy and the "real" world, women have no say over who they marry--even in the Western world up until the 20th century, women were often forced to marry for political or social expediency. Discuss one of the following:
1. How would you react if you were told at a very early age who you would marry? Would you be willing to obey your parents knowing that there is very little future for an unmarried woman.
2. Even though women have been controlled as far as marriage for centuries, some men are just as "stuck" with an unwanted marriage partner as a women--these are usually nobles who must marry to keep or raise the standing of their families. If you are a man and are told who you would marry and you found that person quite unacceptable, would you give up money and position to defy your parents?
3. Why do you think forced marriages are occurring less and less often even in countries where woman are still quite oppressed?
Essay Topic 3
The trip will be dangerous because of the time of year. The captain of the boat is fired and Amos, the prince's captain, volunteers to take charge. He tells Arutha to tell his family goodbye before he leaves and to put things in order in case he doesn't make it back.
1. Discuss what courage is and what it means in light of the above statements.
2. Do you think every person would have the courage to get on Amos' boat willingly? Why or why not?
3. In view of the above statement, explain how desperation will make people do dangerous tasks. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)