|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amos do with the ship?
2. What does the man in charge ask Arutha?
3. In what is the man standing outside a cell room dressed?
4. What does a ranger tell Thomas and Dolgan one night?
5. Who is the foe Chogana tells Pug he must face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Milamber makes it through the rift?
2. What happens when Milamber gets angry at the arena?
3. What is the man standing outside a room doing and wearing? What can you infer from his dress and manner?
4. What happens to Arutha when he runs to escape?
5. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
6. Where are Martin and Garret going and what does Martin tell Garret he wants from him?
7. What does Charles tell Arutha about the Tsurani?
8. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
9. What does Princess Anita do when she enters the room and what does she say?
10. What does the Warlord want from the Great Ones and what is their response?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
Essay Topic 2
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
Essay Topic 3
Calin is resolved to kill Thomas if need be. It seems the Queen has held Calin off but is told by Macros that pushing Thomas too far away may drive Thomas toward the darkness because of the emotions it will invoke.
1. Why do you think the queen pushing Thomas away might push him towards the darkness? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Calin has for killing Thomas and why you agree or disagree with those reasons.
3. Discuss thoroughly what can you infer about Marcos based on his interactions and words with the Queen and others.
This section contains 3,280 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)