|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Amos called when he was a pirate?
2. Who is the foe Chogana tells Pug he must face?
3. Who does Thomas want to capture?
4. What does Amos do with the ship?
5. What do Martin and Amos think about Arutha with Anita on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man in black give the young man everyday?
2. What does the queen decide? What does that decision tell you about the queen?
3. Who is Kasumi and what do they want Pug and Laurie to do with him?
4. Who brings news to Arutha about the Tsurani and who is winning the war?
5. What does Cook ask Arutha and what does Arutha tell him? What does Cook do when Arutha answers him?
6. What does Milamber undo in secret?
7. What does Pug see on his last test?
8. What does Charles tell Arutha about the Tsurani?
9. What is known about Pug and Laurie in the opening of the book?
10. What does Cook tell Arutha about why they took him, Martin and Amos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calin is resolved to kill Thomas if need be. It seems the Queen has held Calin off but is told by Macros that pushing Thomas too far away may drive Thomas toward the darkness because of the emotions it will invoke.
1. Why do you think the queen pushing Thomas away might push him towards the darkness? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Calin has for killing Thomas and why you agree or disagree with those reasons.
3. Discuss thoroughly what can you infer about Marcos based on his interactions and words with the Queen and others.
Essay Topic 2
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
Essay Topic 3
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)