|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, who performs a parlor trick of drawing a pig blindfolded in one long stroke?
2. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
3. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
4. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
5. Who claims that his love for Clavdia is a burning torment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
2. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
3. Describe Naphta's apartment.
4. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
5. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
6. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
7. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
8. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
9. Why is Hans summoned the day after an excursion to a famous waterfall in the nearby Fluela Valley?
10. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Investigate "The Magic Mountain" as a bildungsroman. How does it adhere to and differ from the bildungsroman novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a bildungsroman? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a bildungsroman?
Essay Topic 2
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hans and Joachim.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)