|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that his love for Clavdia is a burning torment?
2. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
3. When does Settembrini reproach Hans for having symbolically said goodbye to him on Walpurgis Night?
4. Where does Hans "play king" and muse over his recent experiences?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
2. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
3. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
4. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
5. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
6. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
7. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
8. Describe Naphta's apartment.
9. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
10. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the time period that this novel was written? How does the pending First World War affect the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Mann discloses Hans' past? How does this affect the reader? What does this clarify or confuse within the text?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)