|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
2. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
3. What does Clavdia threaten to do when Hans praises her arms?
4. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
5. What is Hans particularly interested in seeing at Dr. Behrens' apartments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
2. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
3. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
5. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
6. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
7. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
8. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
9. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
10. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in "The Magic Mountain"? What different classes are represented and by which characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
Essay Topic 3
Investigate "The Magic Mountain" as a bildungsroman. How does it adhere to and differ from the bildungsroman novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a bildungsroman? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a bildungsroman?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)