|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
2. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
3. As winter arrives, what does Hans believe is the reason for his increasing temperature?
4. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
5. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
Short Essay Questions
1. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
2. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
3. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
4. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
5. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
6. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
7. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
8. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
9. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
10. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would the story be different if Joachim were not present at the Berghof when Hans arrived?
Essay Topic 2
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (mountains and magic, connection to "Death in Venice", illness and death, etc..) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)