|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
2. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
3. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
4. How are Naphta's rooms decorated?
5. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
2. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
3. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
4. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
6. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
7. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
8. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
9. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
10. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)