|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
2. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
3. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
4. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
5. What do Hans and Clavdia exchange as tokens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
2. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
3. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
4. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
5. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
6. Describe Naphta's apartment.
7. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
8. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
9. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
10. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hans and Peeperkorn. How are their relationships with Clavdia similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)