|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
2. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
3. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
4. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
5. How are Naphta's rooms decorated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
2. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
3. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
4. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
5. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
6. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
7. Describe Naphta's apartment.
8. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
9. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
10. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (mountains and magic, connection to "Death in Venice", illness and death, etc..) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hans and Joachim.
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (the x-ray plates, the Maria Mancini cigars, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)