|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
2. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
3. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
4. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
5. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
2. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
3. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
4. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
5. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
6. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
7. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
8. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
9. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
10. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the time period that this novel was written? How does the pending First World War affect the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? What do these differences indicate?
Essay Topic 3
Investigate "The Magic Mountain" as a bildungsroman. How does it adhere to and differ from the bildungsroman novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a bildungsroman? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a bildungsroman?
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)