|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
2. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
3. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
4. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
2. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
3. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
4. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
5. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
6. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
7. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
8. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
9. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
10. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hans and Joachim.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of the novel affect the characters and their actions? What is Mann suggesting about the setting?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)