|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What passes without comment in October?
2. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
3. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
4. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
2. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
3. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
4. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
5. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
6. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
7. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
8. Why is Hans summoned the day after an excursion to a famous waterfall in the nearby Fluela Valley?
9. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
10. Describe Naphta's apartment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 2
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? What do these differences indicate?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)