|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
2. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
3. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
5. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
2. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
3. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
4. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
5. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
6. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
7. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
8. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
9. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
10. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
Essay Topic 2
How would the story be different if Joachim were not present at the Berghof when Hans arrived?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hans and Joachim.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)