|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
2. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
3. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
4. When does Settembrini reproach Hans for having symbolically said goodbye to him on Walpurgis Night?
5. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? What do these differences indicate?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hans and Settembrini's friendship affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (the x-ray plates, the Maria Mancini cigars, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)