|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
2. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
3. Where does Clavdia say that morality is to be found?
4. What does Naphta say is the instrument of the Kingdom of God?
5. What passes without comment in October?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hans summoned the day after an excursion to a famous waterfall in the nearby Fluela Valley?
2. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
3. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
4. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
5. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
6. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
7. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
8. Describe Naphta's apartment.
9. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
10. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (mountains and magic, connection to "Death in Venice", illness and death, etc..) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)