|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
2. Who does Hans ask to explain the biochemical processes behind sweating and blushing?
3. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
4. What is Hans particularly interested in seeing at Dr. Behrens' apartments?
5. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
2. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
4. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
5. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
6. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
7. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
8. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
9. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
10. Why is Hans summoned the day after an excursion to a famous waterfall in the nearby Fluela Valley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of the novel affect the characters and their actions? What is Mann suggesting about the setting?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 3
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)