|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
2. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
3. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
4. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
5. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
2. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
4. Describe Naphta's apartment.
5. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
6. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
7. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
8. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
9. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
10. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? What do these differences indicate?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of the novel affect the characters and their actions? What is Mann suggesting about the setting?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)