|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
2. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
3. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
4. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
5. Who offers to allow Hans to use informal pronouns with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
2. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
3. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
4. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
5. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
6. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
7. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
8. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
9. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
10. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of the novel affect the characters and their actions? What is Mann suggesting about the setting?
Essay Topic 2
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (the x-ray plates, the Maria Mancini cigars, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)