|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
2. Who questions Hans about Hans' relationship with Clavdia?
3. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
4. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
5. Who does Hans ask to explain the biochemical processes behind sweating and blushing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
2. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
3. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
4. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
5. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
6. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
7. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
8. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
9. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
10. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hans and Joachim.
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)