|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
3. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
4. Why do Settembrini and Naphta resent Peeperkorn?
5. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
2. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
3. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
4. Why is Hans summoned the day after an excursion to a famous waterfall in the nearby Fluela Valley?
5. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
6. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
7. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
9. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
10. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
Essay Topic 2
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the time period that this novel was written? How does the pending First World War affect the novel's plot?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)