|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
2. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
3. What does Naphta say is the instrument of the Kingdom of God?
4. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
3. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
4. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
5. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
6. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
7. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
9. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
10. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the time period that this novel was written? How does the pending First World War affect the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hans and Joachim.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (mountains and magic, connection to "Death in Venice", illness and death, etc..) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)