|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
2. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
3. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
4. Who claims that his love for Clavdia is a burning torment?
5. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of the novel affect the characters and their actions? What is Mann suggesting about the setting?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)