|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
2. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
3. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
4. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
5. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
2. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
3. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
4. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
5. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
6. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
7. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
8. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
9. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
10. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the time period that this novel was written? How does the pending First World War affect the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)