|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
2. Who does Naphta mock as a champion of progressive idealism and utopian notions?
3. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
4. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
5. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
2. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
3. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
5. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
6. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
7. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
8. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
9. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
10. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
Essay Topic 2
What role does social class play in "The Magic Mountain"? What different classes are represented and by which characters?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)