|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
2. What does Hans do on his first full day at the Berghof?
3. Who listens to a concert in Chapter 4?
4. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of the Catholic patient that Joachim tells Hans about in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
2. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
3. Who is Tienappel?
4. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
5. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
6. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
7. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
8. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
9. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
10. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hans and Settembrini's friendship affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of the novel affect the characters and their actions? What is Mann suggesting about the setting?
Essay Topic 3
How would the story be different if Joachim were not present at the Berghof when Hans arrived?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)