|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hans feel about the image of his grandfather in his coffin?
2. Who does Settembrini compare to Minos and Rhadamanthus?
3. What does Hans sing at the top of his voice in Chapter 4?
4. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
5. Where does Hans sometimes follow his caretaker after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
2. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
3. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
4. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
5. How does Settembrini feel about music?
6. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
7. Who is Tienappel?
8. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
9. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
10. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (mountains and magic, connection to "Death in Venice", illness and death, etc..) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 2
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
Essay Topic 3
What role does social class play in "The Magic Mountain"? What different classes are represented and by which characters?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)