|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the whistler's group call themselves?
2. Who are Minos and Rhadamanthus in Greek mythology?
3. Whose always-late, door-slamming entrances to the dining hall does Hans watch?
4. Where do the cousins meet Settembrini?
5. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
2. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
3. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
4. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
5. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
6. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
7. Who is Tienappel?
8. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
9. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
10. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
Essay Topic 2
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)