|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
3. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
4. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
5. Who does Settembrini compare to Odysseus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
2. When Dr. Behrens visits Hans' table in Chapter 3, what does he notice, and what does he prescribe?
3. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
4. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
5. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
6. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
7. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
8. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
9. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
10. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it significant that Mann discloses Hans' past? How does this affect the reader? What does this clarify or confuse within the text?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 3
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)