|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
2. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
3. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
4. Whose always-late, door-slamming entrances to the dining hall does Hans watch?
5. Where does Hans sometimes follow his caretaker after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
2. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
3. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
4. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
5. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
6. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
7. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
8. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
9. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
10. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
Essay Topic 3
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)