|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans hallucinate about?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
3. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
4. Where is the concert in Chapter 4 held?
5. After his bed rest ends, what does Hans accompany Joachim to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
2. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
3. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
4. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
5. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
6. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
7. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
8. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
9. Describe the final scene of the novel.
10. What is Dr. Krokowski's lecture about in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 3
What role does social class play in "The Magic Mountain"? What different classes are represented and by which characters?
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)