|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How should Hans live while is at the Berghof, according to Dr. Behrens?
2. What does the whistler use to whistle?
3. What does Hans muse about while lying on his deck chair?
4. Who expresses satisfaction that Hans has come to the Berghof?
5. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dr. Behrens visits Hans' table in Chapter 3, what does he notice, and what does he prescribe?
2. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
3. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
4. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
5. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
6. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
7. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
8. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
9. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
10. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hans and Settembrini's friendship affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? What do these differences indicate?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)