|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the cousins meet Settembrini?
2. Who does Settembrini compare to Odysseus?
3. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
4. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
5. What does Joachim say is not taken seriously at the Berghof?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
2. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
3. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
4. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
5. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
6. Who is Tienappel?
7. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
8. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
9. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
10. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? What do these differences indicate?
Essay Topic 2
Investigate "The Magic Mountain" as a bildungsroman. How does it adhere to and differ from the bildungsroman novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a bildungsroman? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a bildungsroman?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)