|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hans feel about someone slamming the door behind his back?
2. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
3. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
4. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
5. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
2. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
3. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
4. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
5. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
6. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
7. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
8. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
9. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
10. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in "The Magic Mountain"? What different classes are represented and by which characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Mann discloses Hans' past? How does this affect the reader? What does this clarify or confuse within the text?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
This section contains 1,730 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)