|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of conversation does Settembrini use?
2. How should Hans live while is at the Berghof, according to Dr. Behrens?
3. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
4. What does Hans do on his first full day at the Berghof?
5. What is removed during meals and at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
2. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
3. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
4. Who is Barbara Hujus?
5. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
6. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
7. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
8. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
9. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
10. When Dr. Behrens visits Hans' table in Chapter 3, what does he notice, and what does he prescribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 3
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)