|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hans feel about his cigars losing their flavor?
2. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
3. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
5. Who is Tienappel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
2. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
3. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
4. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
5. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
6. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
7. Who is Tienappel?
8. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
9. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
10. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 2
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)