Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Hans in Chapter 5 as Hans daydreams about Clavdia?
2. What time period does Hans hallucinate about?
3. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
4. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
5. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
2. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
3. How does Settembrini feel about music?
4. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
5. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
6. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
7. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
8. Describe the final scene of the novel.
9. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
10. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
How would the story be different if Joachim were not present at the Berghof when Hans arrived?
Investigate "The Magic Mountain" as a bildungsroman. How does it adhere to and differ from the bildungsroman novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a bildungsroman? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a bildungsroman?
How does Hans and Settembrini's friendship affect the story?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)