Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Hans in Chapter 5 as Hans daydreams about Clavdia?
2. What time period does Hans hallucinate about?
3. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
4. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
5. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
2. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
3. How does Settembrini feel about music?
4. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
5. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
6. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
7. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
8. Describe the final scene of the novel.
9. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
10. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
Essay Topic 1
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the time period that this novel was written? How does the pending First World War affect the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? What do these differences indicate?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)