|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Settembrini call "lieutenant"?
2. Who does Settembrini mock for inventing the "summer season"?
3. What is the name of the private nurse whom Hans meets in Chapter 4?
4. What does Joachim say is not taken seriously at the Berghof?
5. Who are Minos and Rhadamanthus in Greek mythology?
Short Essay Questions
1. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
2. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
3. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
4. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
5. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
6. Describe the final scene of the novel.
7. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
8. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
9. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
10. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
Essay Topic 1
Why is it significant that Mann discloses Hans' past? How does this affect the reader? What does this clarify or confuse within the text?
Essay Topic 2
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
Essay Topic 3
Investigate "The Magic Mountain" as a bildungsroman. How does it adhere to and differ from the bildungsroman novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a bildungsroman? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a bildungsroman?
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)