|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raises Hans for a year and a half after his parents' deaths?
2. How does Hans feel about the image of his grandfather in his coffin?
3. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
4. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
5. How should Hans live while is at the Berghof, according to Dr. Behrens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
2. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
3. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
4. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What is Dr. Krokowski's lecture about in Chapter 4?
6. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
7. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
8. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
9. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
10. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 3
How would the story be different if Joachim were not present at the Berghof when Hans arrived?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)