|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
2. What is the name of the whistler?
3. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
4. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
5. What does Hans tell Joachim is really his element?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dr. Behrens visits Hans' table in Chapter 3, what does he notice, and what does he prescribe?
2. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
3. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
4. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
5. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
6. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
7. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
8. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
9. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
10. Who is Tienappel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would the story be different if Joachim were not present at the Berghof when Hans arrived?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hans and Peeperkorn. How are their relationships with Clavdia similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hans and Joachim.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)