|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who expresses satisfaction that Hans has come to the Berghof?
2. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
3. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
4. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
5. Who does the object of Hans' hallucination remind him of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Barbara Hujus?
2. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
3. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
4. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
5. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
6. Who is Tienappel?
7. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
8. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
9. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
10. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of the novel affect the characters and their actions? What is Mann suggesting about the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hans and Joachim.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)