|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who expresses satisfaction that Hans has come to the Berghof?
2. What happens when Hans stops by a brook?
3. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
4. What is the old woman in black called?
5. Where is the concert in Chapter 4 held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
2. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
3. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
4. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
5. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
6. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
7. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
8. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
9. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
10. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Mann discloses Hans' past? How does this affect the reader? What does this clarify or confuse within the text?
Essay Topic 3
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)