|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose glance distracts Hans near the end of Chapter 4?
2. When does Hans feel healthy?
3. What is engraved with the names of Hans' family patriarchs for the past few hundred years?
4. How does Hans feel about his cigars losing their flavor?
5. What is Settembrini's reason for his feelings about music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
2. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
3. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
4. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
5. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
6. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
7. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
8. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
9. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
10. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (mountains and magic, connection to "Death in Venice", illness and death, etc..) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (the x-ray plates, the Maria Mancini cigars, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)