|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Settembrini mock for inventing the "summer season"?
2. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
3. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
4. What is the relationship between Hans and Joachim?
5. How should Hans live while is at the Berghof, according to Dr. Behrens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
2. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
3. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
4. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
5. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
6. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
7. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
8. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
9. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
10. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Investigate "The Magic Mountain" as a bildungsroman. How does it adhere to and differ from the bildungsroman novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a bildungsroman? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a bildungsroman?
Essay Topic 2
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)