|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hans feel about someone slamming the door behind his back?
2. Who does Settembrini compare to Odysseus?
3. What kind of situations does Hans do best with?
4. What does Hans do on his first full day at the Berghof?
5. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
2. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
3. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
4. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
5. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
6. What is Dr. Krokowski's lecture about in Chapter 4?
7. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
8. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
9. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
10. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols (the x-ray plates, the Maria Mancini cigars, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (mountains and magic, connection to "Death in Venice", illness and death, etc..) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)