|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
2. Who thinks that music can perform the reasonable function of measuring time?
3. Where is the concert in Chapter 4 held?
4. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
5. What is Hans doing by his third day at the Berghof?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
2. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
3. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
4. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
5. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
6. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
7. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
8. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
9. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
10. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the time period that this novel was written? How does the pending First World War affect the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? What do these differences indicate?
Essay Topic 3
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)