|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
2. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
3. What does Hans' mother die from?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
5. How does Hans describe the old woman in the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dr. Behrens visits Hans' table in Chapter 3, what does he notice, and what does he prescribe?
2. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
3. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
4. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
5. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
6. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
7. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
8. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
9. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
10. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
Essay Topic 2
Investigate "The Magic Mountain" as a bildungsroman. How does it adhere to and differ from the bildungsroman novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a bildungsroman? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a bildungsroman?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hans change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)