|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
2. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
3. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. What does Hans sing at the top of his voice in Chapter 4?
5. Who notices that Hans is anemic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
2. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
3. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
4. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
5. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
6. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
7. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
8. Who is Tienappel?
9. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
10. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in "The Magic Mountain"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 2
What role does social class play in "The Magic Mountain"? What different classes are represented and by which characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hans and Settembrini's friendship affect the story?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)