|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
2. Where does Hans walk after first breakfast in Chapter 3?
3. What is Settembrini's reason for his feelings about music?
4. What is the name of the private nurse whom Hans meets in Chapter 4?
5. After his bed rest ends, what does Hans accompany Joachim to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
2. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
3. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
4. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
5. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
6. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
7. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
8. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
9. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
10. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Investigate "The Magic Mountain" as a bildungsroman. How does it adhere to and differ from the bildungsroman novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a bildungsroman? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a bildungsroman?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hans and Peeperkorn. How are their relationships with Clavdia similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the time period that this novel was written? How does the pending First World War affect the novel's plot?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)