|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
2. What happens when Hans stops by a brook?
3. What does the whistler use to whistle?
4. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
5. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
2. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
3. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
4. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
5. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
6. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
7. What is Dr. Krokowski's lecture about in Chapter 4?
8. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
9. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
10. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Thomas Mann's experiences in real life affect the way that this story is written?
Essay Topic 2
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of death in this novel? What events are driven by illness and death? How are characters viewed based on their health?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)