|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
2. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
3. What is the name of the Catholic patient that Joachim tells Hans about in Chapter 3?
4. What is the old woman doing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. Where does Hans go on Monday in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
2. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
3. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
4. How does Settembrini feel about music?
5. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
6. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
7. Who is Tienappel?
8. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
9. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
10. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hans and Joachim.
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hans and Peeperkorn. How are their relationships with Clavdia similar and different?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)