|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
2. What is the name of the private nurse whom Hans meets in Chapter 4?
3. After his bed rest ends, what does Hans accompany Joachim to do?
4. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
5. How does Hans describe the old woman in the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
2. Describe Naphta's apartment.
3. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
4. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
5. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
6. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
7. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
8. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
9. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
10. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hans and Peeperkorn. How are their relationships with Clavdia similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
How would the story be different if Joachim were not present at the Berghof when Hans arrived?
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)