Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Hans in Chapter 5 as Hans daydreams about Clavdia?
2. What time period does Hans hallucinate about?
3. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
4. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
5. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
2. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
3. How does Settembrini feel about music?
4. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
5. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
6. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
7. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
8. Describe the final scene of the novel.
9. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
10. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
How does the setting of the novel affect the characters and their actions? What is Mann suggesting about the setting?
What is the significance of the time period that this novel was written? How does the pending First World War affect the novel's plot?
How is time portrayed in "The Magic Mountain"? How is this concept addressed, and what does this mean?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)