|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
(a) Joachim's illness.
(c) Behrens' sexual relationship with Clavdia.
(d) Hans' infatuation with Clavdia.
2. Why do Settembrini and Naphta resent Peeperkorn?
(a) For his relationship with Clavdia.
(b) They do not.
(c) For interfering in their pedagogical rivalry over Hans.
(d) For his ignorance.
3. What passes without comment in October?
(a) Settembrini's death.
(b) Naphta's birthday.
(c) Joachim's discharge deadline.
(d) Hans' marriage to Clavdia.
4. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
5. When does Settembrini reproach Hans for having symbolically said goodbye to him on Walpurgis Night?
(a) New Years Day.
(c) New Years Eve.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, who performs a parlor trick of drawing a pig blindfolded in one long stroke?
2. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
3. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
4. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
5. Who does Hans ask to explain the biochemical processes behind sweating and blushing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
3. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
4. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
5. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
6. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
7. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
8. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
9. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
10. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)