|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
(a) Before tea begins.
(b) As Hans is leaving.
(c) Before Hans arrives.
2. What is Hans particularly interested in seeing at Dr. Behrens' apartments?
(a) His self-portrait.
(b) Clavdia's medical records.
(c) A portrait of Clavdia.
(d) His medical records.
3. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
(a) There is no argument.
(b) An innocent joke about Virgil.
(c) Caring for Hans.
(d) Joachim's desire to return to a soldier's life
4. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
(a) That Naphta has a relationship with Clavdia.
(b) That Naphta is a homosexual.
(c) That Naphta is dying.
(d) That Naphta is a Jesuit.
5. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
(a) Leaving the Berghof.
(b) Having a baby.
(c) Marrying Dr. Behrens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
2. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
3. What does Peeperkorn propose to Hans in Chapter 7 shortly after Clavdia introduces them?
4. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
5. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
2. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
3. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
4. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
5. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
6. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
7. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
8. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
9. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
10. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)