|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
(a) His persistent rise in temperature.
(b) Uncontrollable vomiting.
(c) He is not allowed to return to the Berghof.
(d) He chooses to return to the Berghof.
2. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
(b) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(c) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(d) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
3. As Walpurgis Night approaches, who reproaches Hans for playing fast and loose with time in his conversation?
4. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
(b) The apple.
(d) The pomegranate.
5. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
(a) Because Hans will not witness Joachim's death.
(b) Because Joachim is avoiding unpleasant complications and will have a swift passing.
(c) Because Joachim's death will be more painful.
(d) Because he hates Joachim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
2. What passes without comment in October?
3. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
4. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
5. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
2. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
3. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
4. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
6. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
7. Describe Naphta's apartment.
8. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
9. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
10. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)