|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
(a) Allow Dr. Behrens to examine him.
(b) Take psychoanalytical sessions with Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Ask Clavdia on a date.
(d) Leave the Berghof.
2. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
3. What does Hans accuse Settembrini of offering?
(b) False friendship.
(d) Hypocritical advice.
4. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
(a) Because he hates Joachim.
(b) Because Joachim's death will be more painful.
(c) Because Joachim is avoiding unpleasant complications and will have a swift passing.
(d) Because Hans will not witness Joachim's death.
5. As Walpurgis Night approaches, who reproaches Hans for playing fast and loose with time in his conversation?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
2. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
3. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
4. What passes without comment in October?
5. Where does Clavdia say that morality is to be found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
2. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
4. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
5. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
6. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
7. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
8. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
9. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
10. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)