|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
2. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
(a) Hans' relationship with Clavdia.
(b) Clavdia ignoring Hans.
(c) Peeperkorn's anger at Hans.
(d) Hans' friendship with Settembrini.
3. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
(a) To visit again.
(b) To carry a message to Clavdia.
(c) To never mention seeing them.
(d) To be careful on their return to the Berghof.
4. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
5. What does Naphta say is the instrument of the Kingdom of God?
(d) The proletariat.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Hans praise ascetically?
2. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
3. Who claims that his love for Clavdia is a burning torment?
4. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
5. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hans summoned the day after an excursion to a famous waterfall in the nearby Fluela Valley?
2. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
3. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
4. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
5. Describe Naphta's apartment.
6. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
7. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
8. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
9. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
10. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)