|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(a) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
(c) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
(d) Closets near the dining hall.
2. Who is getting worse but leaves the Berghof without authorization anyway because they cannot stand it anymore?
(b) Frau Salomon.
3. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
(a) Clavdia as a partner.
(b) An infection in his lungs.
(c) Too many grand ideas.
(d) A new blanket.
4. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
(a) That Naphta is a homosexual.
(b) That Naphta is a Jesuit.
(c) That Naphta has a relationship with Clavdia.
(d) That Naphta is dying.
5. In Chapter 6, what does Hans praise ascetically?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Military life.
(d) The Berghof.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
2. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
4. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
5. When does Settembrini reproach Hans for having symbolically said goodbye to him on Walpurgis Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
2. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
3. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
4. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
5. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
6. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
7. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
8. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
9. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
10. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)