|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joachim deride about Naphta?
(a) His pathological lying.
(c) His inappropriate comments.
(d) His Jewish appearance.
2. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
(a) Behrens' sexual relationship with Clavdia.
(b) Joachim's illness.
(d) Hans' infatuation with Clavdia.
3. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
(a) They often argue in good fellowship.
(b) Naphta is always right.
(c) Settembrini is always right.
(d) They are never in earnest.
4. Who does Naphta mock as a champion of progressive idealism and utopian notions?
5. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
(a) On an outside path.
(b) The dining hall.
(c) Hans' balcony.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
3. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
4. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
5. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
2. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
4. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
5. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
6. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
7. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
8. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
9. Describe Naphta's apartment.
10. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)