|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Naphta's rooms decorated?
(a) In black and white decor.
(b) Lavishly with red and purple silk brocade.
(c) Naphta's rooms are never described.
(d) Poorly due to his destitution.
2. What do Hans and Clavdia exchange as tokens?
(a) A vow.
(b) A kiss.
(c) Their x-ray plates.
3. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
(a) Hans' relationship with Clavdia.
(b) Hans' friendship with Settembrini.
(c) Peeperkorn's anger at Hans.
(d) Clavdia ignoring Hans.
4. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
(a) Peeperkorn does not love Clavdia.
(c) Grateful and devoted.
(d) She loves him as well.
5. Who does Naphta mock as a champion of progressive idealism and utopian notions?
Short Answer Questions
1. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
2. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
3. What does Peeperkorn propose to Hans in Chapter 7 shortly after Clavdia introduces them?
4. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
5. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
2. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
3. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
4. Why is Hans summoned the day after an excursion to a famous waterfall in the nearby Fluela Valley?
5. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
6. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
7. Describe Naphta's apartment.
8. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
9. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
10. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)