|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
2. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
(a) Begins to cry.
(c) Has nightmares repeatedly.
(d) Hastily closes the coffin.
3. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
4. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
(b) Having a baby.
(c) Leaving the Berghof.
(d) Marrying Dr. Behrens.
5. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(b) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
(c) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(d) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clavdia threaten to do when Hans praises her arms?
2. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
3. Where does Hans "play king" and muse over his recent experiences?
4. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
5. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
2. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. Describe Naphta's apartment.
4. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
5. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
6. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
7. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
8. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
9. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
10. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)