|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans use to argue against Settembrini?
(a) Naphta's arguments.
(b) Hans does not argue against Settembrini.
(c) His literary knowledge.
(d) Settembrini's own arguments.
2. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
(a) Having a baby.
(c) Marrying Dr. Behrens.
(d) Leaving the Berghof.
3. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
(b) To go on an excursion.
(c) To escape from the Berghof.
(d) To become friends.
4. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
(a) That Naphta is a Jesuit.
(b) That Naphta is a homosexual.
(c) That Naphta is dying.
(d) That Naphta has a relationship with Clavdia.
5. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
(a) A rope hung from his closet.
(b) A knife.
(c) A hypodermic needle filled with tropical poison.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
2. What does Naphta claim has only resulted in the dehumanizing rule of money?
3. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
4. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
5. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
2. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
3. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
4. Describe Peeperkorn's group outings and Settembrini's opinion of Hans' relationship with Peeperkorn.
5. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
6. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
7. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
8. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
9. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
10. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)