|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
2. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
3. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
(b) English literature.
(d) Classical languages.
4. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
(a) He chooses to return to the Berghof.
(b) He is not allowed to return to the Berghof.
(c) His persistent rise in temperature.
(d) Uncontrollable vomiting.
5. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
(b) "How did the world begin?"
(c) "What is life?"
(d) "Who am I?"
Short Answer Questions
1. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
2. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
3. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
4. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
5. What passes without comment in October?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what occurs with Hans' letters home, and what does he write about?
2. What do Hans and Settembrini argue about that causes Hans to accuse Settembrini of offering hypocritical advice?
3. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
4. What do Hans and Peeperkorn say about Clavdia during their conversation in early spring?
5. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
6. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
7. Describe Naphta's apartment.
8. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
9. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)