|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
2. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
(a) A fever attack.
(b) A heart attack.
(d) An aneurism.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
(c) The narrator.
4. What does Clavdia threaten to do when Hans praises her arms?
(a) Kill herself.
(c) Cry herself to sleep.
(d) Marry Peeperkorn.
5. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
(a) A kiss.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A blindfold.
(d) A piece of paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
2. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
3. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
4. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
5. Where does Hans "play king" and muse over his recent experiences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
2. What do Settembrini and Naphta argue about in Naphta's apartment, and what does each man say?
3. Why is Hans summoned the day after an excursion to a famous waterfall in the nearby Fluela Valley?
4. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
5. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
6. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
7. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
8. As winter arrives, what does Hans study, and why?
9. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
10. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)