|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
(a) English literature.
(b) Classical languages.
2. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
3. Where does Clavdia say that morality is to be found?
(a) In loyalty and friendship.
(b) In honesty.
(c) In losing oneself in sin and danger.
(d) In love and marriage.
4. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
5. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
2. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
3. What does Hans use to argue against Settembrini?
4. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
5. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
2. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
3. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
5. How does Hans insult Settembrini on Walpurgis Night?
6. Who is Naphta, what does he look like, and how do Hans and Joachim meet him?
7. What does Hans become aware of in Chapter 5, and what do the other patients learn about Hans?
8. Why is Hans summoned the day after an excursion to a famous waterfall in the nearby Fluela Valley?
9. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
10. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)