|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clavdia return to the Berghof with?
(a) Hans Castorp.
(b) No one.
(c) Joachim Ziemssen.
(d) Pieter Peeperkorn.
2. What does Peeperkorn propose to Hans in Chapter 7 shortly after Clavdia introduces them?
(a) A trip to Fluela Valley.
(b) That Hans leave Clavdia alone.
(c) Clavdia's death.
(d) Drinks and games.
3. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
(a) A piece of paper.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A blindfold.
(d) A pencil.
4. What does Hans use to argue against Settembrini?
(a) Settembrini's own arguments.
(b) His literary knowledge.
(c) Hans does not argue against Settembrini.
(d) Naphta's arguments.
5. What does Joachim deride about Naphta?
(b) His inappropriate comments.
(c) His pathological lying.
(d) His Jewish appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
2. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
3. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
4. Who is a Freemason?
5. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Joachim and Hans discuss on their way back to the Berghof after leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
2. How do Joachim's letters to Hans change, and what eventually occurs?
3. Due to his studies, what does Hans frequently refer to in conversation, and how does Joachim respond?
4. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
5. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
6. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
7. Describe Hans' interactions with Clavdia on Walpurgis Night.
8. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
9. What happens when Joachim and Hans encounter Dr. Behrens on a mountain path in October, and why does Hans react this way?
10. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)