|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the old woman in black called?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Madame Chauchat.
(c) Frau Stohr.
2. Who thinks that music can perform the reasonable function of measuring time?
3. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(b) Frau Stohr.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
4. What does Chapter 2 detail?
(a) Hans' backstory.
(b) Hans' future.
(c) Hans' fears.
(d) Hans' nightmare.
5. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
(a) They stare in bewilderment.
(b) They laugh.
(c) There are no other patients around.
(d) They whistle at him also.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans do on his first full day at the Berghof?
2. What is the name of the whistler?
3. What is Hans late for in Chapter 4?
4. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
5. Whose glance distracts Hans near the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
2. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
3. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
4. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
5. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
6. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
7. When Hans and Joachim join Settembrini in his apartment, what does Settembrini say about Naphta?
8. Describe the final scene of the novel.
9. Who is Tienappel?
10. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)