|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
(a) Buying blankets.
(b) He feels Joachim criticizes him, not Settembrini.
(c) Being at the Berghof.
(d) Loving Clavdia.
2. What does Joachim say is not taken seriously at the Berghof?
(a) Illness and death.
(c) Hard work.
(d) Love and relationships.
3. Who refers to the written word as "the bearer of the human intellect"?
4. What month does it snow in Chapter 4?
5. Who does the object of Hans' hallucination remind him of?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans' mother die from?
2. Who says that work does not agree with him?
3. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
4. Who raises Hans for a year and a half after his parents' deaths?
5. Who are Minos and Rhadamanthus in Greek mythology?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
2. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
3. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
4. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
6. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
7. What is Dr. Krokowski's lecture about in Chapter 4?
8. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
9. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
10. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)