|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who listens to a concert in Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Behrens and Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Hans and Clavdia.
(c) Settembrini and Naphta.
(d) Hans and Joachim.
2. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Borrow a mechanical pencil.
(d) Ask her on a date.
3. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(b) His aunt.
(c) An Austrian horseman
(d) An American woman.
4. Whose comical mispronunciations provide endless amusement?
(a) Frau Stohr.
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
5. Who thinks that music can perform the reasonable function of measuring time?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
2. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
3. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
4. What is removed during meals and at night?
5. How does Settembrini feel about music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
2. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
3. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
4. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
5. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
6. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
7. How does Settembrini feel about music?
8. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
9. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
10. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)