|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the concert in Chapter 4 held?
(a) In Hans' room.
(b) In the dining hall at the Berghof sanatorium.
(c) In Davos.
(d) On the verandah.
2. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
3. Who expresses satisfaction that Hans has come to the Berghof?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
4. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
(b) The written word.
(d) The spoken word.
5. Who does Settembrini compare to Odysseus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of conversation does Settembrini use?
2. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
3. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
4. Who does Settembrini mock for inventing the "summer season"?
5. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
2. How does Settembrini feel about music?
3. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
4. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
5. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
6. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
7. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
8. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
9. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
10. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)