|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
(a) The thin air.
(b) His attraction to Clavdia.
(c) His anxiety.
(d) The fact that he did not eat.
2. What does Hans sing at the top of his voice in Chapter 4?
(b) Love songs.
(c) Patriotic songs.
(d) Rock songs.
3. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
(a) Loving Clavdia.
(b) Buying blankets.
(c) Being at the Berghof.
(d) He feels Joachim criticizes him, not Settembrini.
4. What time period does Hans hallucinate about?
(a) His time at the Berghof.
(b) His future.
(c) Middle school.
(d) High school.
5. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(c) Hans' grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hans feel about the image of his grandfather in his coffin?
2. Where do the cousins meet Settembrini?
3. Who feels like he has been at the Berghof for an eternity?
4. What happens when Hans stops by a brook?
5. What does Hans muse about while lying on his deck chair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
2. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
3. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
4. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
5. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
6. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
7. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
8. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
9. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
10. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)