Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Hans in Chapter 5 as Hans daydreams about Clavdia?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
2. What time period does Hans hallucinate about?
(a) His time at the Berghof.
(b) Middle school.
(c) High school.
(d) His future.
3. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
4. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
5. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
(b) The sanatorium and its patients.
(c) His poor health.
(d) His family at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
2. What is the name of the Catholic patient that Joachim tells Hans about in Chapter 3?
3. Where is the concert in Chapter 4 held?
4. Who does Settembrini say music is especially dangerous for?
5. Who expresses satisfaction that Hans has come to the Berghof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
2. What role does the "military life" play in the conversation between Hans, Joachim, Settembrini and Naphta in Chapter 6?
3. How does Settembrini feel about music?
4. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
5. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
6. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
7. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
8. Describe the final scene of the novel.
9. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
10. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)