|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Settembrini's reason for his feelings about music?
(a) He has no feelings about music.
(b) It attracts young women.
(c) It inflames the emotions.
(d) It makes him happy.
2. What does Hans muse about while lying on his deck chair?
3. What happens when Hans stops by a brook?
(a) He suffers a nosebleed.
(b) He nearly drowns.
(c) He cries.
(d) He trips and falls.
4. Where does Hans sometimes follow his caretaker after dinner?
(a) To the neighbor's house.
(b) Into the den.
(c) To bed.
(d) Into the garden.
5. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Catholic patient that Joachim tells Hans about in Chapter 3?
2. What is engraved with the names of Hans' family patriarchs for the past few hundred years?
3. What are the opposing forces to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
4. Where does Hans go on Monday in Chapter 4?
5. What preoccupies Hans during Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
2. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
3. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
4. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
5. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
6. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
7. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
8. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
9. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
10. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)