|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
(a) The Berghof.
(b) At the wharf.
2. After his bed rest ends, what does Hans accompany Joachim to do?
(a) Watch a concert.
(b) Get their x-rays.
(c) Attend a carnival.
3. What does Joachim say is not taken seriously at the Berghof?
(b) Illness and death.
(c) Love and relationships.
(d) Hard work.
4. What does Chapter 2 detail?
(a) Hans' future.
(b) Hans' backstory.
(c) Hans' nightmare.
(d) Hans' fears.
5. Who does Settembrini compare to Odysseus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Hans stops by a brook?
2. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
3. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
4. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
5. What does Hans do on his first full day at the Berghof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
2. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
3. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
4. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
5. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
6. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
7. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
8. How does Hans react when Clavdia returns to the Berghof in Chapter 7, and why?
9. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
10. Describe the final scene of the novel.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)