|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
(a) His red herring.
(b) A spectum bottle.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His blue Henry.
2. What is removed during meals and at night?
(a) Newlywed couples.
(c) Newborn babies.
(d) Unruly patients.
3. Who is Tienappel?
(a) Hans' father.
(b) Hans' cousin.
(c) Hans' grandfather.
(d) Hans' great-uncle.
4. What does Hans muse about while lying on his deck chair?
5. Who notices that Hans is anemic?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
2. Who says that work does not agree with him?
3. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
4. Who does Settembrini compare to Minos and Rhadamanthus?
5. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
2. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
3. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
4. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
5. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
6. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
7. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
8. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
9. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
10. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)