|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who expresses satisfaction that Hans has come to the Berghof?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
2. What do Joachim and Settembrini agree that music can awaken?
(a) The heart.
(b) The soul.
(c) The intellect.
(d) The body.
3. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
(a) There are no sounds.
(c) Avoid his neighbor.
(d) Consider leaving the Berghof.
4. What does Hans muse about while lying on his deck chair?
5. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
(a) A ski-lift.
(b) A boat.
(c) His narrow-gauge railroad car.
(d) The Berghof's personal plane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans hallucinate about?
2. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
3. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
5. Where do the cousins meet Settembrini?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Barbara Hujus?
2. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
3. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
4. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
5. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
6. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
7. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
8. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
9. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
10. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)