|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
(a) An extended illness.
(b) An argument with Dr. Krokowski.
(c) A successful attempt to get Clavdia's attention.
(d) A failed attempt to get Clavdia's attention.
2. Where does Hans walk after first breakfast in Chapter 3?
(a) To a lecture.
(b) To Joachim's room.
(d) A mountain path.
3. Who does Settembrini compare to Odysseus?
4. What is the old woman in black called?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Frau Stohr.
(d) Madame Chauchat.
5. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Frau Stohr.
(b) No one.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) A village girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
2. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
3. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
4. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
5. What is the name of the Catholic patient that Joachim tells Hans about in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
2. Who is Tienappel?
3. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
4. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
5. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
6. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
7. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
8. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
9. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
10. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)