|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hans feel about his cigars losing their flavor?
2. What is Hans doing by his third day at the Berghof?
(a) Becoming accustomed to the routine.
(b) Studying astronomy.
(c) Wanting to leave the Berghof.
(d) Falling in love with Clavdia.
3. Who does Settembrini say music is especially dangerous for?
4. Who refers to the written word as "the bearer of the human intellect"?
5. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(b) He cannot see who does it.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Joachim and Settembrini agree that music can awaken?
2. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
3. What is the old woman doing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
5. What kind of situations does Hans do best with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
2. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
3. What does Joachim explain about Hermine Kleefield?
4. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
5. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
6. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
7. When Dr. Behrens visits Hans' table in Chapter 3, what does he notice, and what does he prescribe?
8. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
9. Who is Barbara Hujus?
10. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)