|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans muse about while lying on his deck chair?
2. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
3. Who notices that Hans is anemic?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
4. What is Hans doing by his third day at the Berghof?
(a) Becoming accustomed to the routine.
(b) Falling in love with Clavdia.
(c) Studying astronomy.
(d) Wanting to leave the Berghof.
5. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
(a) Drug use.
(b) Lack of sleep.
(c) Blood loss.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the concert in Chapter 4 held?
2. Where does Hans walk after first breakfast in Chapter 3?
3. According to Settembrini, how were sickness and infirmity regarded during medieval times?
4. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
5. What happens when Hans stops by a brook?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
2. How does Settembrini feel about music?
3. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
4. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
5. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
6. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
7. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
8. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
9. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
10. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)