|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hans feel about someone slamming the door behind his back?
2. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
(a) An Austrian horseman
(b) His aunt.
(c) An American woman.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
3. Who does Hans hallucinate about?
(a) Hanz Lorenz Castorp.
(b) Pribislav Hippe.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Joachim Niemssen.
4. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(c) Frau Stohr.
5. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
(a) He feels Joachim criticizes him, not Settembrini.
(b) Loving Clavdia.
(c) Being at the Berghof.
(d) Buying blankets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
2. Whose comical mispronunciations provide endless amusement?
3. Who refers to the written word as "the bearer of the human intellect"?
4. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
5. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
2. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
3. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
4. How does Settembrini feel about music?
5. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
6. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
7. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
8. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
9. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
10. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)