|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Ask her on a date.
(d) Borrow a mechanical pencil.
2. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
(a) The written word.
(d) The spoken word.
3. Who raises Hans for a year and a half after his parents' deaths?
(a) His great-uncle.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His great-aunt.
(d) His grandmother.
4. What does Dr. Krokowski's gesture at the end of his lecture remind Hans of?
5. What does Hans plan to do on Monday in Chapter 4?
(a) Propose to Clavdia.
(b) Play "king in a meadow."
(c) Get his x-rays taken.
(d) Attend Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans' father die from?
2. What does Joachim say is not taken seriously at the Berghof?
3. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
4. Who whistles at Hans on the mountain path?
5. Whose always-late, door-slamming entrances to the dining hall does Hans watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
2. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
3. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
4. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
5. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
6. What is Dr. Krokowski's lecture about in Chapter 4?
7. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
8. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
9. How does Settembrini feel about music?
10. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)