|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Settembrini feel about music?
(a) He feels that it is dangerous for Joachim.
(b) He enjoys it.
(c) He has a political distaste for it.
(d) He is a musician himself.
2. What does Hans' mother die from?
(a) An embolism.
3. Whose glance distracts Hans near the end of Chapter 4?
(b) Dr. Krokowski's.
(c) Dr. Behrens'.
4. What is the old woman doing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Reading a book of poetry.
(b) Crying with her face in her hands.
(c) Pacing in the garden.
(d) Sitting on a bench, gazing at the sky.
5. Who does Settembrini compare to Odysseus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
3. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
4. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
5. What is Settembrini's reason for his feelings about music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
2. What is Dr. Krokowski's lecture about in Chapter 4?
3. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter during their walk, and what does he say?
4. What does Hans notice on a walk along a mountain path in Chapter 3, and how does it make him feel?
5. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
6. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
7. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
8. When Dr. Behrens visits Hans' table in Chapter 3, what does he notice, and what does he prescribe?
9. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
10. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)