|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
(b) At the wharf.
(d) The Berghof.
2. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) No one.
(b) A village girl.
(c) Frau Stohr.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
3. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
4. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(b) His aunt.
(c) An Austrian horseman
(d) An American woman.
5. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(a) Hans' grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Settembrini, how were sickness and infirmity regarded during medieval times?
2. Who notices that Hans is anemic?
3. Where does Hans sometimes follow his caretaker after dinner?
4. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
5. Who does the object of Hans' hallucination remind him of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Settembrini tell Hans that he plans to do in Chapter 6, and why?
2. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
3. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
4. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
5. What do Hans and Clavdia discuss in the salon in Chapter 7?
6. What happens at the Berghof as spring approaches?
7. How does Settembrini feel about music?
8. Describe Joachim's death and the illness leading to it.
9. What role does the concept of time play at the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)