|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Settembrini say music is especially dangerous for?
2. Who visits Hans in Chapter 5 as Hans daydreams about Clavdia?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
3. What does the whistler use to whistle?
(a) A whistle on a string.
(b) His/her nose.
(c) His/her pneumothorax.
(d) His/her lungs.
4. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
5. Who are Minos and Rhadamanthus in Greek mythology?
(a) Judges of the dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Joachim and Settembrini agree that music can awaken?
2. What is removed during meals and at night?
3. How does Hans feel about someone slamming the door behind his back?
4. What is the name of the whistler?
5. What happens when Hans stops by a brook?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tienappel?
2. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
3. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
4. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
5. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
6. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
7. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
8. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
9. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
10. When Dr. Behrens visits Hans' table in Chapter 3, what does he notice, and what does he prescribe?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)