|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans' father die from?
(b) An embolism.
2. Who does Settembrini compare to Odysseus?
3. Who expresses satisfaction that Hans has come to the Berghof?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
4. How does Hans describe the old woman in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) As tragic-looking.
(b) As hideous.
(c) As beautiful.
(d) He does not see an old woman.
5. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
(a) Drug use.
(b) Lack of sleep.
(d) Blood loss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time period does Hans hallucinate about?
2. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
3. What does Chapter 2 detail?
4. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
5. Whose glance distracts Hans near the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
2. How does Hans tell Joachim that he feels about death in Chapter 4?
3. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
4. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
5. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
6. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how does Hans feel that his grandfather reverts to his real self?
7. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
8. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
9. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
10. How does Settembrini feel about music?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)