|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Catholic patient that Joachim tells Hans about in Chapter 3?
(a) Ludovico Settembrini.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Leo Naphta.
(d) Barbara Hujus.
2. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
3. What is the old woman in black called?
(a) Frau Stohr.
(b) Madame Chauchat.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
4. What is Hans doing by his third day at the Berghof?
(a) Becoming accustomed to the routine.
(b) Studying astronomy.
(c) Wanting to leave the Berghof.
(d) Falling in love with Clavdia.
5. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
(a) A boat.
(b) A ski-lift.
(c) The Berghof's personal plane.
(d) His narrow-gauge railroad car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who whistles at Hans on the mountain path?
2. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. Who states that there is something edifying about death?
4. What does Chapter 2 detail?
5. What does Hans plan to do on Monday in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
2. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
3. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
4. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
5. What do Hans and Joachim do on Sunday in Chapter 4?
6. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
7. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
8. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
9. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
10. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)