|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(c) Frau Stohr.
2. What is engraved with the names of Hans' family patriarchs for the past few hundred years?
(a) The portrait of Hans' grandfather.
(c) The family baptismal bowl.
(d) The family Bible.
3. Who raises Hans for a year and a half after his parents' deaths?
(a) His great-aunt.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His great-uncle.
(d) His grandmother.
4. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
(a) It is frightening.
(b) It is his real image.
(c) It makes him appear handsome.
(d) There is no such portrait.
5. What is the old woman in black called?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Madame Chauchat.
(d) Frau Stohr.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his bed rest ends, what does Hans accompany Joachim to do?
2. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
3. What wears Hans down at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
5. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
2. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
3. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
4. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
5. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
6. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
7. Who is Tienappel?
8. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
9. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
10. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)