|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the opposing forces to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
(a) Enemity and anger.
(b) Shame and disgust.
(c) Health and happiness.
(d) Life and health.
2. What does Hans' mother die from?
(b) An embolism.
3. Who is Tienappel?
(a) Hans' grandfather.
(b) Hans' cousin.
(c) Hans' great-uncle.
(d) Hans' father.
4. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
(b) Clavdia Chauchat's.
(c) An Austrian horseman's.
(d) An American woman's.
5. Who thinks that music can perform the reasonable function of measuring time?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the whistler's group call themselves?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
3. What does the whistler use to whistle?
4. Who does Settembrini say music is especially dangerous for?
5. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Krokowski's lecture about in Chapter 4?
2. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
3. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
4. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
5. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
6. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
7. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
8. How does Settembrini feel about music?
9. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
10. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)