|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the old woman doing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Reading a book of poetry.
(b) Pacing in the garden.
(c) Crying with her face in her hands.
(d) Sitting on a bench, gazing at the sky.
2. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(b) Hans' grandfather.
3. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
4. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
(a) They whistle at him also.
(b) They laugh.
(c) They stare in bewilderment.
(d) There are no other patients around.
5. Who does Hans and Joachim overhear complaining about their stay at the Berghof and other prospects in October?
(a) Dr. Behrens and Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Hermine Kleefeld and other patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
2. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
3. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. Whose glance distracts Hans near the end of Chapter 4?
5. What does Hans tell Joachim is really his element?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
2. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
3. What annoys Hans during first breakfast in Chapter 3?
4. Who is Pribislav Hippe, and how does Hans feel about him?
5. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
6. How does Joachim say death and illness are treated at the Berghof?
7. What does Joachim explain to Hans about the woman called Tous-les-deux at their first breakfast in Chapter 3?
8. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
9. What happens when Hans arrives late to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
10. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)