|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hans and Joachim overhear complaining about their stay at the Berghof and other prospects in October?
(a) Hermine Kleefeld and other patients.
(d) Dr. Behrens and Dr. Krokowski.
2. Who refers to the written word as "the bearer of the human intellect"?
3. What is removed during meals and at night?
(b) Newlywed couples.
(c) Unruly patients.
(d) Newborn babies.
4. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
(b) At the wharf.
(d) The Berghof.
5. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Dr. Behrens.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
2. Whose comical mispronunciations provide endless amusement?
3. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
4. How does Hans feel about someone slamming the door behind his back?
5. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 3, what does Hans say about work?
2. Who is Barbara Hujus?
3. What does Hans muse upon while sitting on his balcony, and what does he say about what he muses on?
4. Describe Hans and Settembrini's encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4.
5. Describe Hans and Settembrini's conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5.
6. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
7. Who does Hans meet during his first few weeks at the Berghof?
8. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
9. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
10. What does Dr. Krokowski do at the end of his lecture in Chapter 4, and what does it remind Hans of?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)