|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hans and Joachim overhear complaining about their stay at the Berghof and other prospects in October?
(c) Dr. Behrens and Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Hermine Kleefeld and other patients.
2. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
(a) Borrow a mechanical pencil.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Ask her on a date.
(d) Kill him.
3. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
(a) They whistle at him also.
(b) They laugh.
(c) They stare in bewilderment.
(d) There are no other patients around.
4. What does Hans plan to do on Monday in Chapter 4?
(a) Attend Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
(b) Get his x-rays taken.
(c) Play "king in a meadow."
(d) Propose to Clavdia.
5. After his bed rest ends, what does Hans accompany Joachim to do?
(b) Attend a carnival.
(c) Watch a concert.
(d) Get their x-rays.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who expresses satisfaction that Hans has come to the Berghof?
2. Whose comical mispronunciations provide endless amusement?
3. How does Hans feel about someone slamming the door behind his back?
4. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
5. Who does Settembrini say music is especially dangerous for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hans' interactions with Clavdia affect his health?
2. Why does Settembrini interrupt his learned banter at the end of Chapter 3?
3. What does a female patient do in Chapter 3 that annoys Hans?
4. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
5. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
6. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
7. On Monday in Chapter 4, what does Hans do before attending Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
8. What does Settembrini say about music in relation to Hans?
9. What is Hans' life like in Hamburg?
10. What does Hans see and hear on his first full day at the Berghof?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)