|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
(a) Has nightmares repeatedly.
(b) Begins to cry.
(c) Hastily closes the coffin.
2. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
(b) To go on an excursion.
(c) To escape from the Berghof.
(d) To become friends.
3. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
(a) Joachim's desire to return to a soldier's life
(b) An innocent joke about Virgil.
(c) Caring for Hans.
(d) There is no argument.
4. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
5. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
(a) Because Hans will not witness Joachim's death.
(b) Because Joachim is avoiding unpleasant complications and will have a swift passing.
(c) Because Joachim's death will be more painful.
(d) Because he hates Joachim.
6. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(b) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
(c) Closets near the dining hall.
(d) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
7. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
(a) Hans' balcony.
(c) The dining hall.
(d) On an outside path.
8. What does Joachim deride about Naphta?
(b) His Jewish appearance.
(c) His pathological lying.
(d) His inappropriate comments.
9. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
(a) They often argue in good fellowship.
(b) They are never in earnest.
(c) Settembrini is always right.
(d) Naphta is always right.
10. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
(a) Marrying Dr. Behrens.
(c) Having a baby.
(d) Leaving the Berghof.
11. How are Naphta's rooms decorated?
(a) Poorly due to his destitution.
(b) Naphta's rooms are never described.
(c) In black and white decor.
(d) Lavishly with red and purple silk brocade.
12. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
(b) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(c) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
(d) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
13. What does Naphta say is the instrument of the Kingdom of God?
(b) The proletariat.
14. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
(a) Hans' friendship with Settembrini.
(b) Clavdia ignoring Hans.
(c) Peeperkorn's anger at Hans.
(d) Hans' relationship with Clavdia.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
(a) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
2. What is Hans particularly interested in seeing at Dr. Behrens' apartments?
3. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
4. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
5. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)