|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is getting worse but leaves the Berghof without authorization anyway because they cannot stand it anymore?
(c) Frau Salomon.
2. What does Peeperkorn propose to Hans in Chapter 7 shortly after Clavdia introduces them?
(a) Clavdia's death.
(b) A trip to Fluela Valley.
(c) That Hans leave Clavdia alone.
(d) Drinks and games.
3. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
4. Where does Hans "play king" and muse over his recent experiences?
(a) In his room.
(b) In the dining hall.
(c) He does not "play king".
(d) In a little alpine meadow.
5. In Chapter 5, who performs a parlor trick of drawing a pig blindfolded in one long stroke?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
6. What does Naphta claim has only resulted in the dehumanizing rule of money?
(a) The Berghof.
(b) The Kingdom of God.
(c) Settembrini's humanistic concept of freedom.
7. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
(a) Because Joachim is avoiding unpleasant complications and will have a swift passing.
(b) Because he hates Joachim.
(c) Because Joachim's death will be more painful.
(d) Because Hans will not witness Joachim's death.
8. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
(a) Too many grand ideas.
(b) Clavdia as a partner.
(c) A new blanket.
(d) An infection in his lungs.
9. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
(a) Hastily closes the coffin.
(b) Has nightmares repeatedly.
(c) Begins to cry.
10. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
(a) Classical languages.
(d) English literature.
11. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
12. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
(a) To be careful on their return to the Berghof.
(b) To never mention seeing them.
(c) To carry a message to Clavdia.
(d) To visit again.
13. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
(a) That Naphta is dying.
(b) That Naphta is a homosexual.
(c) That Naphta is a Jesuit.
(d) That Naphta has a relationship with Clavdia.
14. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
(a) Caring for Hans.
(b) An innocent joke about Virgil.
(c) There is no argument.
(d) Joachim's desire to return to a soldier's life
15. In Chapter 6, what does Hans praise ascetically?
(a) The Berghof.
(b) Military life.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clavdia threaten to do when Hans praises her arms?
2. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
3. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
4. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
5. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)