|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
(a) Leo Naphta.
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
2. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
3. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
(a) Not at all.
(b) In all black and white.
4. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
5. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
6. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(b) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
(c) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
(d) Closets near the dining hall.
7. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
(b) Having a baby.
(c) Leaving the Berghof.
(d) Marrying Dr. Behrens.
8. Who is a Freemason?
9. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
(a) A pencil.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A piece of paper.
(d) A blindfold.
10. What is Hans particularly interested in seeing at Dr. Behrens' apartments?
(a) A portrait of Clavdia.
(b) His medical records.
(c) His self-portrait.
(d) Clavdia's medical records.
11. What does Joachim deride about Naphta?
(a) His inappropriate comments.
(c) His Jewish appearance.
(d) His pathological lying.
12. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
(a) Joachim's illness.
(c) Behrens' sexual relationship with Clavdia.
(d) Hans' infatuation with Clavdia.
13. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
(a) Its treatment of women.
(b) Its tortures.
(c) The royalty.
14. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
15. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
Short Answer Questions
1. As winter arrives, what does Hans believe is the reason for his increasing temperature?
2. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
3. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
4. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
5. What do Hans and Clavdia exchange as tokens?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)