|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
2. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
(a) Clavdia as a partner.
(b) Too many grand ideas.
(c) A new blanket.
(d) An infection in his lungs.
3. Where does Clavdia say that morality is to be found?
(a) In honesty.
(b) In love and marriage.
(c) In loyalty and friendship.
(d) In losing oneself in sin and danger.
4. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
5. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
(a) The apple.
(d) The pomegranate.
6. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Frau Stohr.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
7. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
(a) "What is life?"
(c) "How did the world begin?"
(d) "Who am I?"
8. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
(a) A kiss.
(b) A piece of paper.
(c) A blindfold.
(d) A pencil.
9. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
(a) Peeperkorn does not love Clavdia.
(b) Grateful and devoted.
(c) She loves him as well.
10. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
(a) To never mention seeing them.
(b) To visit again.
(c) To carry a message to Clavdia.
(d) To be careful on their return to the Berghof.
11. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(b) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
(c) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
(d) Settembrini does not feel that way.
12. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
(a) Its treatment of women.
(c) The royalty.
(d) Its tortures.
13. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
(a) Marrying Dr. Behrens.
(b) Leaving the Berghof.
(d) Having a baby.
14. As Walpurgis Night approaches, who reproaches Hans for playing fast and loose with time in his conversation?
15. Who is a Freemason?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
2. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
3. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
4. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
5. Who questions Hans about Hans' relationship with Clavdia?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)