|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
(b) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(c) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
(d) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
2. Who questions Hans about Hans' relationship with Clavdia?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
3. Who offers to allow Hans to use informal pronouns with him?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
4. As winter arrives, what does Hans believe is the reason for his increasing temperature?
(a) His new studies.
(b) His love for Clavdia.
(c) His anger at Joachim.
(d) His arguments with Settembrini.
5. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
6. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
7. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
(a) An innocent joke about Virgil.
(b) There is no argument.
(c) Joachim's desire to return to a soldier's life
(d) Caring for Hans.
8. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
(b) A heart attack.
(c) An aneurism.
(d) A fever attack.
9. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
10. Where does Clavdia say that morality is to be found?
(a) In loyalty and friendship.
(b) In honesty.
(c) In love and marriage.
(d) In losing oneself in sin and danger.
11. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
12. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
13. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
(b) Classical languages.
(d) English literature.
14. What does Clavdia threaten to do when Hans praises her arms?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Marry Peeperkorn.
(c) Cry herself to sleep.
15. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
(b) Fluela Valley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Settembrini and Naphta resent Peeperkorn?
2. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
3. What is Hans particularly interested in seeing at Dr. Behrens' apartments?
4. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
5. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)