|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
2. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Frau Stohr.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
3. Who claims that his love for Clavdia is a burning torment?
(a) Ludovico Settembrini.
(b) Ferdinand Wehsal.
(c) Leo Naphta.
(d) Hans Castorp.
4. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
5. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
(b) A fever attack.
(c) An aneurism.
(d) A heart attack.
6. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To become friends.
(b) To escape from the Berghof.
(c) To go on an excursion.
(d) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
7. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
8. What does Hans use to argue against Settembrini?
(a) His literary knowledge.
(b) Hans does not argue against Settembrini.
(c) Naphta's arguments.
(d) Settembrini's own arguments.
9. What does Naphta claim has only resulted in the dehumanizing rule of money?
(a) The Berghof.
(b) The Kingdom of God.
(c) Settembrini's humanistic concept of freedom.
10. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(b) Tropical medicines.
11. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
(a) The International League for the Organization of Progress.
(b) The Freemasons.
(c) The Medical Association of the Berghof.
(d) The Musical Affiliation.
12. As Walpurgis Night approaches, who reproaches Hans for playing fast and loose with time in his conversation?
13. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
(a) Naphta is always right.
(b) They often argue in good fellowship.
(c) They are never in earnest.
(d) Settembrini is always right.
14. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
15. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
(a) An infection in his lungs.
(b) Clavdia as a partner.
(c) A new blanket.
(d) Too many grand ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is getting worse but leaves the Berghof without authorization anyway because they cannot stand it anymore?
2. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
3. As winter arrives, what does Hans believe is the reason for his increasing temperature?
4. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
5. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)