|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clavdia threaten to do when Hans praises her arms?
(a) Cry herself to sleep.
(b) Marry Peeperkorn.
(d) Kill herself.
2. Who does Naphta mock as a champion of progressive idealism and utopian notions?
3. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
4. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
5. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
6. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
(a) A gun.
(b) A hypodermic needle filled with tropical poison.
(c) A knife.
(d) A rope hung from his closet.
7. What passes without comment in October?
(a) Joachim's discharge deadline.
(b) Settembrini's death.
(c) Naphta's birthday.
(d) Hans' marriage to Clavdia.
8. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
9. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To escape from the Berghof.
(b) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
(c) To go on an excursion.
(d) To become friends.
10. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
(a) Frau Stohr.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
11. What does Joachim deride about Naphta?
(a) His pathological lying.
(b) His inappropriate comments.
(d) His Jewish appearance.
12. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
(a) He is not allowed to return to the Berghof.
(b) His persistent rise in temperature.
(c) He chooses to return to the Berghof.
(d) Uncontrollable vomiting.
13. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
(b) The pomegranate.
(d) The apple.
14. Who does Clavdia return to the Berghof with?
(a) Pieter Peeperkorn.
(b) Joachim Ziemssen.
(c) No one.
(d) Hans Castorp.
15. What does Peeperkorn propose to Hans in Chapter 7 shortly after Clavdia introduces them?
(a) Clavdia's death.
(b) That Hans leave Clavdia alone.
(c) A trip to Fluela Valley.
(d) Drinks and games.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Naphta say is the instrument of the Kingdom of God?
2. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
3. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
4. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
5. Who is a Freemason?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)