|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans use to argue against Settembrini?
(a) His literary knowledge.
(b) Naphta's arguments.
(c) Hans does not argue against Settembrini.
(d) Settembrini's own arguments.
2. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(a) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
(c) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
(d) Closets near the dining hall.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
(c) The narrator.
4. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
(a) They are never in earnest.
(b) Settembrini is always right.
(c) They often argue in good fellowship.
(d) Naphta is always right.
5. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
6. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
(a) Ask Clavdia on a date.
(b) Leave the Berghof.
(c) Take psychoanalytical sessions with Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Allow Dr. Behrens to examine him.
7. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
(a) The Freemasons.
(b) The Medical Association of the Berghof.
(c) The International League for the Organization of Progress.
(d) The Musical Affiliation.
8. What does Joachim deride about Naphta?
(a) His Jewish appearance.
(b) His pathological lying.
(c) His inappropriate comments.
9. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
(a) She loves him as well.
(b) Peeperkorn does not love Clavdia.
(c) Grateful and devoted.
10. What passes without comment in October?
(a) Naphta's birthday.
(b) Settembrini's death.
(c) Joachim's discharge deadline.
(d) Hans' marriage to Clavdia.
11. Who claims that his love for Clavdia is a burning torment?
(a) Ferdinand Wehsal.
(b) Leo Naphta.
(c) Ludovico Settembrini.
(d) Hans Castorp.
12. Who does Clavdia return to the Berghof with?
(a) Pieter Peeperkorn.
(b) No one.
(c) Hans Castorp.
(d) Joachim Ziemssen.
13. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
(a) Watching Joachim leave.
(b) There is no argument.
(c) Waiting for the Sunday mail.
(d) Discussing Clavdia.
14. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
(a) Its tortures.
(c) Its treatment of women.
(d) The royalty.
15. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(c) Tropical medicines.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Hans praise ascetically?
2. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
3. Who is a Freemason?
4. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
5. Where does Clavdia say that morality is to be found?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)