|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
2. Where does Hans "play king" and muse over his recent experiences?
(a) He does not "play king".
(b) In his room.
(c) In the dining hall.
(d) In a little alpine meadow.
3. Who offers to allow Hans to use informal pronouns with him?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
4. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
(b) Its treatment of women.
(c) The royalty.
(d) Its tortures.
5. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
(a) In all black and white.
(b) Not at all.
6. Who does Naphta mock as a champion of progressive idealism and utopian notions?
7. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
8. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
(a) The apple.
(d) The pomegranate.
9. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
(a) Peeperkorn does not love Clavdia.
(b) She loves him as well.
(d) Grateful and devoted.
10. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
(a) There is no argument.
(b) Caring for Hans.
(c) An innocent joke about Virgil.
(d) Joachim's desire to return to a soldier's life
11. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(a) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
(b) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
(d) Closets near the dining hall.
12. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
(a) Behrens' sexual relationship with Clavdia.
(c) Joachim's illness.
(d) Hans' infatuation with Clavdia.
13. What does Naphta claim has only resulted in the dehumanizing rule of money?
(a) Settembrini's humanistic concept of freedom.
(b) The Kingdom of God.
(d) The Berghof.
14. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
(a) Watching Joachim leave.
(b) There is no argument.
(c) Waiting for the Sunday mail.
(d) Discussing Clavdia.
15. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
2. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
3. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
4. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
5. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)