|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
(b) Fluela Valley.
2. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
(a) A heart attack.
(c) An aneurism.
(d) A fever attack.
3. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
(a) They often argue in good fellowship.
(b) Settembrini is always right.
(c) Naphta is always right.
(d) They are never in earnest.
4. When does Settembrini reproach Hans for having symbolically said goodbye to him on Walpurgis Night?
(a) New Years Eve.
(c) New Years Day.
5. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
(b) The dining hall.
(c) On an outside path.
(d) Hans' balcony.
6. As Walpurgis Night approaches, who reproaches Hans for playing fast and loose with time in his conversation?
7. Where does Hans "play king" and muse over his recent experiences?
(a) He does not "play king".
(b) In a little alpine meadow.
(c) In his room.
(d) In the dining hall.
8. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
(a) An innocent joke about Virgil.
(b) Joachim's desire to return to a soldier's life
(c) There is no argument.
(d) Caring for Hans.
9. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
(a) Begins to cry.
(c) Has nightmares repeatedly.
(d) Hastily closes the coffin.
10. What does Hans accuse Settembrini of offering?
(a) Hypocritical advice.
(c) False friendship.
11. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
12. As winter arrives, what does Hans believe is the reason for his increasing temperature?
(a) His new studies.
(b) His love for Clavdia.
(c) His arguments with Settembrini.
(d) His anger at Joachim.
13. Who offers to allow Hans to use informal pronouns with him?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
14. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
(a) Allow Dr. Behrens to examine him.
(b) Ask Clavdia on a date.
(c) Take psychoanalytical sessions with Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Leave the Berghof.
15. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
2. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
3. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
4. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
5. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)