|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
2. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
(a) There is no argument.
(b) Watching Joachim leave.
(c) Waiting for the Sunday mail.
(d) Discussing Clavdia.
3. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
(a) Grateful and devoted.
(b) She loves him as well.
(d) Peeperkorn does not love Clavdia.
4. Who does Clavdia return to the Berghof with?
(a) Pieter Peeperkorn.
(b) Joachim Ziemssen.
(c) Hans Castorp.
(d) No one.
5. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
6. Who offers to allow Hans to use informal pronouns with him?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
7. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
(a) To never mention seeing them.
(b) To visit again.
(c) To carry a message to Clavdia.
(d) To be careful on their return to the Berghof.
8. What does Clavdia threaten to do when Hans praises her arms?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Cry herself to sleep.
(d) Marry Peeperkorn.
9. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(a) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
(c) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
(d) Closets near the dining hall.
10. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(b) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(c) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
(d) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
11. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
(a) A pencil.
(b) A blindfold.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A piece of paper.
12. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To become friends.
(b) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
(c) To escape from the Berghof.
(d) To go on an excursion.
13. What do Hans and Clavdia exchange as tokens?
(b) A vow.
(c) Their x-ray plates.
(d) A kiss.
14. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
15. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
(b) Fluela Valley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
2. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
3. Who questions Hans about Hans' relationship with Clavdia?
4. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
5. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)