|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Naphta's rooms decorated?
(a) Naphta's rooms are never described.
(b) Poorly due to his destitution.
(c) Lavishly with red and purple silk brocade.
(d) In black and white decor.
2. As Walpurgis Night approaches, who reproaches Hans for playing fast and loose with time in his conversation?
3. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
4. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
(c) The pomegranate.
(d) The apple.
5. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
(b) Grateful and devoted.
(c) She loves him as well.
(d) Peeperkorn does not love Clavdia.
6. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
(b) To escape from the Berghof.
(c) To go on an excursion.
(d) To become friends.
7. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
(a) Its treatment of women.
(b) The royalty.
(c) Its tortures.
8. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
(a) Hans' infatuation with Clavdia.
(b) Behrens' sexual relationship with Clavdia.
(d) Joachim's illness.
9. What is Hans particularly interested in seeing at Dr. Behrens' apartments?
(a) Clavdia's medical records.
(b) His self-portrait.
(c) His medical records.
(d) A portrait of Clavdia.
10. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
(a) Ask Clavdia on a date.
(b) Leave the Berghof.
(c) Take psychoanalytical sessions with Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Allow Dr. Behrens to examine him.
11. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
12. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
13. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
(a) On an outside path.
(b) The dining hall.
(c) Hans' balcony.
14. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(c) Leo Naphta.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
15. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
(a) Frau Stohr.
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
2. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
3. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
4. What does Hans accuse Settembrini of offering?
5. What does Peeperkorn propose to Hans in Chapter 7 shortly after Clavdia introduces them?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)