|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Hans and Clavdia exchange as tokens?
(a) Their x-ray plates.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A vow.
2. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
(a) Hans' balcony.
(b) On an outside path.
(d) The dining hall.
3. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(d) Tropical medicines.
4. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
(a) Classical languages.
(d) English literature.
5. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
(a) Not at all.
(b) In all black and white.
6. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
7. In Chapter 6, what does Hans praise ascetically?
(b) Military life.
(c) The Berghof.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
8. As winter arrives, what does Hans believe is the reason for his increasing temperature?
(a) His arguments with Settembrini.
(b) His love for Clavdia.
(c) His new studies.
(d) His anger at Joachim.
9. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
(a) The International League for the Organization of Progress.
(b) The Freemasons.
(c) The Medical Association of the Berghof.
(d) The Musical Affiliation.
10. What passes without comment in October?
(a) Hans' marriage to Clavdia.
(b) Naphta's birthday.
(c) Joachim's discharge deadline.
(d) Settembrini's death.
11. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(a) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
(c) Closets near the dining hall.
(d) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
12. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
(b) Has nightmares repeatedly.
(c) Begins to cry.
(d) Hastily closes the coffin.
13. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
(a) Joachim's desire to return to a soldier's life
(b) An innocent joke about Virgil.
(c) Caring for Hans.
(d) There is no argument.
14. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
(a) A new blanket.
(b) Too many grand ideas.
(c) Clavdia as a partner.
(d) An infection in his lungs.
15. What does Hans use to argue against Settembrini?
(a) His literary knowledge.
(b) Naphta's arguments.
(c) Hans does not argue against Settembrini.
(d) Settembrini's own arguments.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, who performs a parlor trick of drawing a pig blindfolded in one long stroke?
2. What does Peeperkorn propose to Hans in Chapter 7 shortly after Clavdia introduces them?
3. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
5. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)