|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is getting worse but leaves the Berghof without authorization anyway because they cannot stand it anymore?
(b) Frau Salomon.
2. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
(a) Watching Joachim leave.
(b) Discussing Clavdia.
(c) There is no argument.
(d) Waiting for the Sunday mail.
3. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Leo Naphta.
4. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
(a) To visit again.
(b) To be careful on their return to the Berghof.
(c) To never mention seeing them.
(d) To carry a message to Clavdia.
5. Who does Naphta mock as a champion of progressive idealism and utopian notions?
6. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
7. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
(a) Too many grand ideas.
(b) A new blanket.
(c) An infection in his lungs.
(d) Clavdia as a partner.
8. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(a) Tropical medicines.
9. Who does Clavdia return to the Berghof with?
(a) Pieter Peeperkorn.
(b) Joachim Ziemssen.
(c) No one.
(d) Hans Castorp.
10. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
11. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
(a) The pomegranate.
(c) The apple.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
(a) The narrator.
13. What passes without comment in October?
(a) Joachim's discharge deadline.
(b) Naphta's birthday.
(c) Hans' marriage to Clavdia.
(d) Settembrini's death.
14. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
15. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
(a) A pencil.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A blindfold.
(d) A piece of paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who questions Hans about Hans' relationship with Clavdia?
2. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
3. What does Hans accuse Settembrini of offering?
4. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
5. Where does Clavdia say that morality is to be found?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)