|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Leo Naphta.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
2. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
(a) "How did the world begin?"
(b) "Who am I?"
(c) "What is life?"
3. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
(b) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(c) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(d) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
4. In Chapter 5, who performs a parlor trick of drawing a pig blindfolded in one long stroke?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
5. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
6. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To become friends.
(b) To go on an excursion.
(c) To escape from the Berghof.
(d) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
7. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
8. Who offers to allow Hans to use informal pronouns with him?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
9. What does Hans accuse Settembrini of offering?
(a) False friendship.
(c) Hypocritical advice.
10. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
(a) There is no argument.
(b) Discussing Clavdia.
(c) Watching Joachim leave.
(d) Waiting for the Sunday mail.
11. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
(a) Clavdia as a partner.
(b) Too many grand ideas.
(c) A new blanket.
(d) An infection in his lungs.
12. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
(a) His persistent rise in temperature.
(b) He chooses to return to the Berghof.
(c) He is not allowed to return to the Berghof.
(d) Uncontrollable vomiting.
13. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
(a) She loves him as well.
(b) Grateful and devoted.
(c) Peeperkorn does not love Clavdia.
14. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
(a) To carry a message to Clavdia.
(b) To visit again.
(c) To never mention seeing them.
(d) To be careful on their return to the Berghof.
15. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(c) Tropical medicines.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
2. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
4. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
5. Who does Naphta mock as a champion of progressive idealism and utopian notions?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)