|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
(b) The apple.
(d) The pomegranate.
2. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
(a) A gun.
(b) A hypodermic needle filled with tropical poison.
(c) A knife.
(d) A rope hung from his closet.
3. How does Clavdia feel about the fact that Peeperkorn loves her?
(a) She loves him as well.
(b) Peeperkorn does not love Clavdia.
(d) Grateful and devoted.
4. What begins a heated argument between Settembrini and Naphta at a tavern?
(a) There is no argument.
(b) Joachim's desire to return to a soldier's life
(c) An innocent joke about Virgil.
(d) Caring for Hans.
5. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
(a) The Medical Association of the Berghof.
(b) The International League for the Organization of Progress.
(c) The Freemasons.
(d) The Musical Affiliation.
6. As Walpurgis Night approaches, who reproaches Hans for playing fast and loose with time in his conversation?
7. In Chapter 6, what does Hans praise ascetically?
(a) The Berghof.
(c) Military life.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
8. What does Peeperkorn propose to Hans in Chapter 7 shortly after Clavdia introduces them?
(a) Drinks and games.
(b) That Hans leave Clavdia alone.
(c) A trip to Fluela Valley.
(d) Clavdia's death.
9. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To go on an excursion.
(b) To become friends.
(c) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
(d) To escape from the Berghof.
10. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
(a) Leo Naphta.
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
11. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
(a) A pencil.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A piece of paper.
(d) A blindfold.
12. Who questions Hans about Hans' relationship with Clavdia?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
13. Who is a Freemason?
14. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
15. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
(a) To carry a message to Clavdia.
(b) To never mention seeing them.
(c) To visit again.
(d) To be careful on their return to the Berghof.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Settembrini and Naphta resent Peeperkorn?
2. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
3. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
4. In Chapter 5, who performs a parlor trick of drawing a pig blindfolded in one long stroke?
5. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)