|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(c) Tropical medicines.
2. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
(a) Leave the Berghof.
(b) Allow Dr. Behrens to examine him.
(c) Take psychoanalytical sessions with Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Ask Clavdia on a date.
3. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
4. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
5. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
6. Who is getting worse but leaves the Berghof without authorization anyway because they cannot stand it anymore?
(a) Frau Salomon.
7. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
8. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Leo Naphta.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
9. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
10. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
(a) Before Hans arrives.
(b) Before tea begins.
(c) As Hans is leaving.
11. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
(c) Fluela Valley.
12. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
(a) Because Joachim is avoiding unpleasant complications and will have a swift passing.
(b) Because Joachim's death will be more painful.
(c) Because Hans will not witness Joachim's death.
(d) Because he hates Joachim.
13. When does Settembrini reproach Hans for having symbolically said goodbye to him on Walpurgis Night?
(a) New Years Day.
(c) New Years Eve.
14. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
(a) He is not allowed to return to the Berghof.
(b) Uncontrollable vomiting.
(c) His persistent rise in temperature.
(d) He chooses to return to the Berghof.
15. As winter arrives, what does Hans believe is the reason for his increasing temperature?
(a) His anger at Joachim.
(b) His new studies.
(c) His arguments with Settembrini.
(d) His love for Clavdia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Hans praise ascetically?
3. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
4. What does Naphta claim has only resulted in the dehumanizing rule of money?
5. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)