|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
(c) Not at all.
(d) In all black and white.
2. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
(a) Joachim's illness.
(b) Behrens' sexual relationship with Clavdia.
(d) Hans' infatuation with Clavdia.
3. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(b) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(c) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
(d) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
4. What do Hans and Clavdia exchange as tokens?
(a) A vow.
(c) A kiss.
(d) Their x-ray plates.
5. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
6. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
(a) A blindfold.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A piece of paper.
7. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
8. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
9. As winter arrives, what does Hans believe is the reason for his increasing temperature?
(a) His love for Clavdia.
(b) His arguments with Settembrini.
(c) His new studies.
(d) His anger at Joachim.
10. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
(a) Peeperkorn's anger at Hans.
(b) Hans' friendship with Settembrini.
(c) Clavdia ignoring Hans.
(d) Hans' relationship with Clavdia.
11. What does Joachim deride about Naphta?
(a) His pathological lying.
(b) His Jewish appearance.
(c) His inappropriate comments.
12. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
(a) Begins to cry.
(c) Has nightmares repeatedly.
(d) Hastily closes the coffin.
13. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
(b) English literature.
(d) Classical languages.
14. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
(a) Before tea begins.
(c) As Hans is leaving.
(d) Before Hans arrives.
15. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
(a) A rope hung from his closet.
(b) A hypodermic needle filled with tropical poison.
(c) A knife.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
2. What does Hans use to argue against Settembrini?
3. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
4. Where does Clavdia say that morality is to be found?
5. Who does Clavdia return to the Berghof with?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)