|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
(b) The royalty.
(c) Its tortures.
(d) Its treatment of women.
2. What passes without comment in October?
(a) Joachim's discharge deadline.
(b) Naphta's birthday.
(c) Settembrini's death.
(d) Hans' marriage to Clavdia.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
(a) The narrator.
4. Who does Hans ask to explain the biochemical processes behind sweating and blushing?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
5. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
(a) The Musical Affiliation.
(b) The Medical Association of the Berghof.
(c) The International League for the Organization of Progress.
(d) The Freemasons.
6. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
(a) Because Joachim's death will be more painful.
(b) Because Hans will not witness Joachim's death.
(c) Because he hates Joachim.
(d) Because Joachim is avoiding unpleasant complications and will have a swift passing.
7. How are Naphta's rooms decorated?
(a) Poorly due to his destitution.
(b) In black and white decor.
(c) Naphta's rooms are never described.
(d) Lavishly with red and purple silk brocade.
8. What does Joachim deride about Naphta?
(a) His inappropriate comments.
(b) His Jewish appearance.
(c) His pathological lying.
9. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(d) Tropical medicines.
10. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
11. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
12. When does Settembrini reproach Hans for having symbolically said goodbye to him on Walpurgis Night?
(b) New Years Day.
(d) New Years Eve.
13. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
(b) Classical languages.
(d) English literature.
14. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
(a) His persistent rise in temperature.
(b) He chooses to return to the Berghof.
(c) He is not allowed to return to the Berghof.
(d) Uncontrollable vomiting.
15. What question does Hans try to find the answer to in Chapter 5?
(a) "Who am I?"
(b) "How did the world begin?"
(c) "What is life?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
2. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
3. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
4. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
5. Who questions Hans about Hans' relationship with Clavdia?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)