|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clavdia return to the Berghof with?
(a) Hans Castorp.
(b) Joachim Ziemssen.
(c) Pieter Peeperkorn.
(d) No one.
2. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
3. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
4. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Frau Stohr.
5. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(a) Closets near the dining hall.
(b) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
(c) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
6. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
(a) Peeperkorn's anger at Hans.
(b) Hans' relationship with Clavdia.
(c) Hans' friendship with Settembrini.
(d) Clavdia ignoring Hans.
7. Who is a Freemason?
8. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(b) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(c) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
(d) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
9. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
10. In Chapter 6, what does Hans praise ascetically?
(a) Military life.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) The Berghof.
11. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
(a) The pomegranate.
(b) The apple.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
(c) The narrator.
13. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
(a) A blindfold.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A piece of paper.
(d) A kiss.
14. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
(a) Joachim's illness.
(c) Behrens' sexual relationship with Clavdia.
(d) Hans' infatuation with Clavdia.
15. What does Peeperkorn propose to Hans in Chapter 7 shortly after Clavdia introduces them?
(a) Drinks and games.
(b) Clavdia's death.
(c) A trip to Fluela Valley.
(d) That Hans leave Clavdia alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
2. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
3. What does Settembrini explain that his companion used to teach at a nearby prep school?
4. What does Naphta say is the instrument of the Kingdom of God?
5. What is Hans particularly interested in seeing at Dr. Behrens' apartments?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)