|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
2. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
3. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
(b) Before tea begins.
(c) As Hans is leaving.
(d) Before Hans arrives.
4. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
(b) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
(c) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(d) Settembrini does not feel that way.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
(a) The narrator.
6. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
(a) Uncontrollable vomiting.
(b) He chooses to return to the Berghof.
(c) He is not allowed to return to the Berghof.
(d) His persistent rise in temperature.
7. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
(a) Ask Clavdia on a date.
(b) Allow Dr. Behrens to examine him.
(c) Leave the Berghof.
(d) Take psychoanalytical sessions with Dr. Krokowski.
8. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
(a) Having a baby.
(c) Marrying Dr. Behrens.
(d) Leaving the Berghof.
9. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Leo Naphta.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
10. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
(a) Naphta is always right.
(b) Settembrini is always right.
(c) They are never in earnest.
(d) They often argue in good fellowship.
11. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
(a) Fluela Valley.
12. What does Hans use to argue against Settembrini?
(a) Naphta's arguments.
(b) Hans does not argue against Settembrini.
(c) Settembrini's own arguments.
(d) His literary knowledge.
13. As winter arrives, what does Hans believe is the reason for his increasing temperature?
(a) His new studies.
(b) His love for Clavdia.
(c) His arguments with Settembrini.
(d) His anger at Joachim.
14. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
15. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
2. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
3. Who offers to allow Hans to use informal pronouns with him?
4. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
5. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)