|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
2. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
(a) Leave the Berghof.
(b) Take psychoanalytical sessions with Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Allow Dr. Behrens to examine him.
(d) Ask Clavdia on a date.
3. How do Hans and Joachim feel when debate between Settembrini and Naphta grows heated?
4. When does Settembrini reproach Hans for having symbolically said goodbye to him on Walpurgis Night?
(a) New Years Eve.
(d) New Years Day.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who indulges in a long reflection on time?
(c) The narrator.
6. What does Clavdia threaten to do when Hans praises her arms?
(a) Cry herself to sleep.
(b) Kill herself.
(c) Marry Peeperkorn.
7. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
(a) That Naphta has a relationship with Clavdia.
(b) That Naphta is a homosexual.
(c) That Naphta is a Jesuit.
(d) That Naphta is dying.
8. What does Naphta claim has only resulted in the dehumanizing rule of money?
(b) The Berghof.
(c) Settembrini's humanistic concept of freedom.
(d) The Kingdom of God.
9. What does Settembrini reveal that he belongs to?
(a) The International League for the Organization of Progress.
(b) The Medical Association of the Berghof.
(c) The Musical Affiliation.
(d) The Freemasons.
10. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(a) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
(b) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
(d) Closets near the dining hall.
11. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
(a) Joachim's illness.
(b) Hans' infatuation with Clavdia.
(d) Behrens' sexual relationship with Clavdia.
12. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
(a) The dining hall.
(c) On an outside path.
(d) Hans' balcony.
13. What passes without comment in October?
(a) Joachim's discharge deadline.
(b) Hans' marriage to Clavdia.
(c) Settembrini's death.
(d) Naphta's birthday.
14. How are Naphta's rooms decorated?
(a) Naphta's rooms are never described.
(b) In black and white decor.
(c) Lavishly with red and purple silk brocade.
(d) Poorly due to his destitution.
15. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
2. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
3. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
4. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
5. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)