|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
(d) Fluela Valley.
2. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
(a) Hans' balcony.
(b) The dining hall.
(d) On an outside path.
3. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
4. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
(a) Because Joachim's death will be more painful.
(b) Because Joachim is avoiding unpleasant complications and will have a swift passing.
(c) Because he hates Joachim.
(d) Because Hans will not witness Joachim's death.
5. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
6. What does Settembrini explain about his and Naphta's arguments?
(a) They often argue in good fellowship.
(b) Settembrini is always right.
(c) Naphta is always right.
(d) They are never in earnest.
7. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
(a) Marrying Dr. Behrens.
(c) Having a baby.
(d) Leaving the Berghof.
8. Who claims that his love for Clavdia is a burning torment?
(a) Ludovico Settembrini.
(b) Ferdinand Wehsal.
(c) Leo Naphta.
(d) Hans Castorp.
9. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
(a) A rope hung from his closet.
(b) A gun.
(c) A hypodermic needle filled with tropical poison.
(d) A knife.
10. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To escape from the Berghof.
(b) To go on an excursion.
(c) To become friends.
(d) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
11. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
12. Who does Settembrini introduce Hans and Joachim to in Chapter 6?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Leo Naphta.
13. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
14. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(d) Tropical medicines.
15. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
(b) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
(c) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(d) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
2. What does Naphta claim has only resulted in the dehumanizing rule of money?
3. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
4. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
5. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)