|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Naphta say is the instrument of the Kingdom of God?
(b) The proletariat.
2. Who do Settembrini and Naphta argue about first as Joachim and Hans visit Naphta's rooms?
3. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
4. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
(b) To become friends.
(c) To escape from the Berghof.
(d) To go on an excursion.
5. What passes without comment in October?
(a) Hans' marriage to Clavdia.
(b) Naphta's birthday.
(c) Joachim's discharge deadline.
(d) Settembrini's death.
6. What do many patients become aware of in Chapter 5?
(b) Joachim's illness.
(c) Behrens' sexual relationship with Clavdia.
(d) Hans' infatuation with Clavdia.
7. Where do Hans and Joachim meet Dr. Behrens later in October?
(b) The dining hall.
(c) Hans' balcony.
(d) On an outside path.
8. What do the patients having affairs use to visit one another?
(a) The woods surrounding the Berghof.
(c) Closets near the dining hall.
(d) Space extending beyond connecting balconies.
9. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
(a) Frau Stohr.
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
10. Where does Hans "play king" and muse over his recent experiences?
(a) In a little alpine meadow.
(b) In the dining hall.
(c) In his room.
(d) He does not "play king".
11. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
(a) Watching Joachim leave.
(b) There is no argument.
(c) Discussing Clavdia.
(d) Waiting for the Sunday mail.
12. What do Hans and Clavdia exchange as tokens?
(a) Their x-ray plates.
(b) A vow.
(c) A kiss.
13. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(a) Tropical medicines.
14. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
(a) A gun.
(b) A knife.
(c) A rope hung from his closet.
(d) A hypodermic needle filled with tropical poison.
15. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
2. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
3. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
4. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
5. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)