|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Settembrini's garret decorated?
(a) In all black and white.
(d) Not at all.
2. Who does Hans begin being analyzed by in Chapter 6?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
3. What request does Peeperkorn make that Hans refuses?
(a) To kiss Clavdia on the brow.
(b) To escape from the Berghof.
(c) To go on an excursion.
(d) To become friends.
4. Who is a Freemason?
5. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
(a) A gun.
(b) A rope hung from his closet.
(c) A hypodermic needle filled with tropical poison.
(d) A knife.
6. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(b) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(c) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
(d) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
7. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
8. When Settembrini greets Hans after weeks of silence, what does he ask if Hans liked?
(a) The apple.
(c) The pomegranate.
9. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
10. What does Settembrini criticize about the medieval tortures?
(b) Its tortures.
(c) The royalty.
(d) Its treatment of women.
11. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
12. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
13. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
(a) Before tea begins.
(b) Before Hans arrives.
(d) As Hans is leaving.
14. What are Hans and Settembrini doing when they fall into an open argument?
(a) Discussing Clavdia.
(b) Watching Joachim leave.
(c) There is no argument.
(d) Waiting for the Sunday mail.
15. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
(a) To never mention seeing them.
(b) To carry a message to Clavdia.
(c) To visit again.
(d) To be careful on their return to the Berghof.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Settembrini and Naphta resent Peeperkorn?
2. On Walpurgis Night, what does Clavdia tell Hans that she is doing the next day?
3. How are Naphta's rooms decorated?
4. What do Hans and Clavdia exchange as tokens?
5. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)