|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans use to argue against Settembrini?
(a) Hans does not argue against Settembrini.
(b) His literary knowledge.
(c) Naphta's arguments.
(d) Settembrini's own arguments.
2. Who praises scientific knowledge and truth?
3. What does Clavdia threaten to do when Hans praises her arms?
(a) Marry Peeperkorn.
(b) Cry herself to sleep.
(c) Kill herself.
4. Who does Hans suspect of having had a physical relationship with Clavdia?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Frau Stohr.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
5. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
(a) His persistent rise in temperature.
(b) He chooses to return to the Berghof.
(c) He is not allowed to return to the Berghof.
(d) Uncontrollable vomiting.
6. When does Settembrini appear in Chapter 6?
(a) Before tea begins.
(b) Before Hans arrives.
(d) As Hans is leaving.
7. What does Joachim think Hans has picked up while lying on his balcony?
(a) A new blanket.
(b) Too many grand ideas.
(c) Clavdia as a partner.
(d) An infection in his lungs.
8. What causes the tensions and rivalries amongst Hans' group of friends?
(a) Hans' relationship with Clavdia.
(b) Clavdia ignoring Hans.
(c) Hans' friendship with Settembrini.
(d) Peeperkorn's anger at Hans.
9. Who questions Hans about Hans' relationship with Clavdia?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
10. What does Hans do when Joachim's corpse begins to smile inside the coffin?
(a) Begins to cry.
(b) Hastily closes the coffin.
(c) Has nightmares repeatedly.
11. What does Peeperkorn use to commit suicide?
(a) A knife.
(b) A hypodermic needle filled with tropical poison.
(c) A gun.
(d) A rope hung from his closet.
12. What do Hans and Joachim promise before leaving Settembrini and Naphta?
(a) To never mention seeing them.
(b) To be careful on their return to the Berghof.
(c) To carry a message to Clavdia.
(d) To visit again.
13. What does Hans do when he realizes that Settembrini does not want him to see Naphta again?
(a) Yields to Settembrini's opinion.
(b) Settembrini does not feel that way.
(c) Confronts Settembrini to learn his reasoning
(d) Feigns innocence and visits Naphta's room in town.
14. Who is a Freemason?
15. Who claims that classicism furthers the human enterprise?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the evening that Dr. Behrens entertains patients with a musical parlor trick, what does Clavdia ask Hans about?
2. What is Hans surprised to learn about Naphta while he is in Settembrini's garret?
3. What is Peeperkorn recovering from when Hans visits him?
4. Who does Settembrini say is justifying a totalitarian state?
5. Who does Hans ask to explain the biochemical processes behind sweating and blushing?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)