|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Joachim forced to return to the Berghof?
(a) His persistent rise in temperature.
(b) He chooses to return to the Berghof.
(c) He is not allowed to return to the Berghof.
(d) Uncontrollable vomiting.
2. Who does Settembrini say is an intellectual servant of the kingdom of death and lust?
3. Who does Settembrini compare Clavdia to in Chapter 5?
4. When does Settembrini reproach Hans for having symbolically said goodbye to him on Walpurgis Night?
(a) New Years Eve.
(b) New Years Day.
5. Who is getting worse but leaves the Berghof without authorization anyway because they cannot stand it anymore?
(d) Frau Salomon.
6. Who does Hans ask to explain the biochemical processes behind sweating and blushing?
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
7. What image does Hans fall asleep to while sitting on his balcony?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
8. What does Settembrini urge Hans to do?
(a) Leave the Berghof.
(b) Take psychoanalytical sessions with Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Allow Dr. Behrens to examine him.
(d) Ask Clavdia on a date.
9. Why do Settembrini and Naphta resent Peeperkorn?
(a) For his relationship with Clavdia.
(b) For interfering in their pedagogical rivalry over Hans.
(c) They do not.
(d) For his ignorance.
10. What does Naphta claim has only resulted in the dehumanizing rule of money?
(a) The Berghof.
(b) Settembrini's humanistic concept of freedom.
(c) The Kingdom of God.
11. How are Naphta's rooms decorated?
(a) Lavishly with red and purple silk brocade.
(b) In black and white decor.
(c) Naphta's rooms are never described.
(d) Poorly due to his destitution.
12. What passes without comment in October?
(a) Joachim's discharge deadline.
(b) Settembrini's death.
(c) Naphta's birthday.
(d) Hans' marriage to Clavdia.
13. What does Peeperkorn tell Hans that he takes for his ailments?
(d) Tropical medicines.
14. Where does Peeperkorn host an excursion to in May?
(c) Fluela Valley.
15. Who will not acknowledge Hans, despite his best efforts?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Walpurgis Night approaches, who reproaches Hans for playing fast and loose with time in his conversation?
2. Why is Dr. Behrens happy that Joachim's heart is giving out?
3. What do Hans and Clavdia exchange as tokens?
4. What does Hans ask Clavdia for when he finally approaches her in Chapter 5?
5. Who hosts parties and outings to local sites?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)