|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of conversation does Settembrini use?
(d) All answers are correct.
2. What does Hans muse about while lying on his deck chair?
3. Who does Settembrini compare to Minos and Rhadamanthus?
(a) Hans and Joachim.
(b) Behrens and Krokowski.
(c) Himself and Naphta.
(d) Clavdia and Peeperkorn.
4. What wears Hans down at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) His ill health.
(b) The concentrated study for his college exams.
(c) The deaths surrounding him.
(d) His thwarted romance.
5. Where does Hans sometimes follow his caretaker after dinner?
(a) Into the den.
(b) Into the garden.
(c) To the neighbor's house.
(d) To bed.
6. How does Hans feel about his cigars losing their flavor?
7. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
(b) Someone being constrained from fighting.
(c) The sounds of lovemaking.
(d) An argument.
8. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
(a) An Austrian horseman
(b) His aunt.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) An American woman.
9. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
(a) An Austrian horseman's.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat's.
(d) An American woman's.
10. Where does Hans walk after first breakfast in Chapter 3?
(a) To Joachim's room.
(b) A mountain path.
(c) To a lecture.
11. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
(a) Lack of sleep.
(c) Drug use.
(d) Blood loss.
12. Whose always-late, door-slamming entrances to the dining hall does Hans watch?
13. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
14. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
(a) His attraction to Clavdia.
(b) The fact that he did not eat.
(c) His anxiety.
(d) The thin air.
15. What does Hans do on his first full day at the Berghof?
(a) Decide to return home.
(b) Read a book.
(c) Look out from his room.
(d) Write to his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hans feel about someone slamming the door behind his back?
2. What is Hans late for in Chapter 4?
3. What is Hans' talent that allows him to move ahead in his education?
4. What is the name of the private nurse whom Hans meets in Chapter 4?
5. What does Dr. Krokowski's gesture at the end of his lecture remind Hans of?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)