|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Minos and Rhadamanthus in Greek mythology?
(b) Judges of the dead.
2. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
(a) Two months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
3. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
(b) An American woman's.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat's.
(d) An Austrian horseman's.
4. What month does it snow in Chapter 4?
5. What are the opposing forces to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
(a) Health and happiness.
(b) Enemity and anger.
(c) Shame and disgust.
(d) Life and health.
6. What is the name of the Catholic patient that Joachim tells Hans about in Chapter 3?
(a) Leo Naphta.
(b) Barbara Hujus.
(c) Ludovico Settembrini.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
7. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
(a) An extended illness.
(b) A failed attempt to get Clavdia's attention.
(c) An argument with Dr. Krokowski.
(d) A successful attempt to get Clavdia's attention.
8. According to Settembrini, how were sickness and infirmity regarded during medieval times?
(a) As bad luck.
(b) They did not view it as anything.
(c) As passports to heaven.
(d) As angering God.
9. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) No one.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Frau Stohr.
(d) A village girl.
10. What is the old woman doing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Sitting on a bench, gazing at the sky.
(b) Crying with her face in her hands.
(c) Pacing in the garden.
(d) Reading a book of poetry.
11. How does Settembrini feel about music?
(a) He has a political distaste for it.
(b) He feels that it is dangerous for Joachim.
(c) He is a musician himself.
(d) He enjoys it.
12. After his bed rest ends, what does Hans accompany Joachim to do?
(b) Attend a carnival.
(c) Watch a concert.
(d) Get their x-rays.
13. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
14. What do Joachim and Settembrini agree that music can awaken?
(a) The soul.
(b) The heart.
(c) The intellect.
(d) The body.
15. What is Hans late for in Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Behrens' lecture.
(b) A date with Frau Stohr.
(c) Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
(d) A date with Clavdia Chauchat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans and Joachim overhear complaining about their stay at the Berghof and other prospects in October?
2. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
3. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
4. Where do the cousins meet Settembrini?
5. What does Hans plan to do on Monday in Chapter 4?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)