|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the whistler use to whistle?
(a) His/her nose.
(b) A whistle on a string.
(c) His/her lungs.
(d) His/her pneumothorax.
2. What is the relationship between Hans and Joachim?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) They do not know each other.
(d) They are friends.
3. Whose glance distracts Hans near the end of Chapter 4?
(b) Dr. Krokowski's.
(c) Dr. Behrens'.
4. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
(a) Because he/she was in so much pain.
(b) He/she never screamed.
(c) Because he/she saw the priest arriving for last rites.
(d) Because he/she was not allowed to leave the Berghof.
5. Who are Minos and Rhadamanthus in Greek mythology?
(d) Judges of the dead.
6. Where does Hans walk after first breakfast in Chapter 3?
(a) To a lecture.
(b) To Joachim's room.
(d) A mountain path.
7. Where do the cousins meet Settembrini?
(a) At a tavern in town.
(b) At a bench on the path.
(c) At the beach.
(d) At Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
8. How should Hans live while is at the Berghof, according to Dr. Behrens?
(a) He should not stay at the Berghof at all.
(b) As though he is on vacation.
(c) As if he had tuberculosis himself.
(d) As though he is going to die soon.
9. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
(a) His red herring.
(b) His blue Henry.
(c) His best friend.
(d) A spectum bottle.
10. Who does Settembrini compare to Minos and Rhadamanthus?
(a) Himself and Naphta.
(b) Hans and Joachim.
(c) Clavdia and Peeperkorn.
(d) Behrens and Krokowski.
11. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
(c) The water.
12. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
13. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
(a) An Austrian horseman's.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat's.
(d) An American woman's.
14. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
(a) His poor health.
(b) His family at home.
(c) The sanatorium and its patients.
15. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who listens to a concert in Chapter 4?
2. What is Hans doing by his third day at the Berghof?
3. Who does Hans hallucinate about?
4. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
5. Who whistles at Hans on the mountain path?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)