|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Ask her on a date.
(c) Borrow a mechanical pencil.
(d) Kill him.
2. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(a) Hans' grandfather.
3. What is Hans doing by his third day at the Berghof?
(a) Wanting to leave the Berghof.
(b) Becoming accustomed to the routine.
(c) Falling in love with Clavdia.
(d) Studying astronomy.
4. Whose always-late, door-slamming entrances to the dining hall does Hans watch?
5. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
(d) The water.
6. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
7. Who feels like he has been at the Berghof for an eternity?
8. Who does Settembrini compare to Minos and Rhadamanthus?
(a) Behrens and Krokowski.
(b) Himself and Naphta.
(c) Hans and Joachim.
(d) Clavdia and Peeperkorn.
9. Who listens to a concert in Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Behrens and Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Settembrini and Naphta.
(c) Hans and Joachim.
(d) Hans and Clavdia.
10. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
11. When does Hans feel healthy?
(a) When he is doing nothing.
(d) When he watches Clavdia.
12. What are the opposing forces to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
(a) Enemity and anger.
(b) Shame and disgust.
(c) Health and happiness.
(d) Life and health.
13. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
(a) There is no such portrait.
(b) It makes him appear handsome.
(c) It is frightening.
(d) It is his real image.
14. Who raises Hans for a year and a half after his parents' deaths?
(a) His great-aunt.
(b) His great-uncle.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His grandmother.
15. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
(c) Drug abuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans and Joachim overhear complaining about their stay at the Berghof and other prospects in October?
2. What does Hans' mother die from?
3. What month does it snow in Chapter 4?
4. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
5. What does Joachim say is not taken seriously at the Berghof?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)