|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hans hallucinate about?
(a) Hanz Lorenz Castorp.
(b) Joachim Niemssen.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Pribislav Hippe.
2. What does Joachim say is not taken seriously at the Berghof?
(a) Hard work.
(b) Love and relationships.
(c) Illness and death.
3. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
(a) His family at home.
(b) His poor health.
(d) The sanatorium and its patients.
4. Who feels like he has been at the Berghof for an eternity?
5. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
(a) At the wharf.
(c) The Berghof.
6. What does Hans' mother die from?
(b) An embolism.
7. Who whistles at Hans on the mountain path?
(a) A male doctor.
(b) A female patient.
(c) A male patient.
(d) A female doctor.
8. Who refers to the written word as "the bearer of the human intellect"?
9. Who does Settembrini call "lieutenant"?
10. Who does Settembrini compare to Odysseus?
11. Who states that there is something edifying about death?
12. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
13. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
(b) Clavdia Chauchat's.
(c) An American woman's.
(d) An Austrian horseman's.
14. What does Hans sing at the top of his voice in Chapter 4?
(a) Love songs.
(b) Rock songs.
(c) Patriotic songs.
15. What is Settembrini's reason for his feelings about music?
(a) He has no feelings about music.
(b) It makes him happy.
(c) It inflames the emotions.
(d) It attracts young women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans' father die from?
2. According to Settembrini, how were sickness and infirmity regarded during medieval times?
3. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
4. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
5. Who does the object of Hans' hallucination remind him of?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)