|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Krokowski's gesture at the end of his lecture remind Hans of?
2. What kind of situations does Hans do best with?
(a) Those connected to romance.
(b) Those connected to nothing.
(c) Those connected to the future.
(d) Those connected to death.
3. Who raises Hans for a year and a half after his parents' deaths?
(a) His great-aunt.
(b) His great-uncle.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His grandmother.
4. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
5. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
(a) Maria Mancini.
(b) Joachim Niemssen.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Hans does not smoke cigars.
6. What does Hans do on his first full day at the Berghof?
(a) Look out from his room.
(b) Write to his parents.
(c) Decide to return home.
(d) Read a book.
7. Where do the cousins meet Settembrini?
(a) At Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
(b) At the beach.
(c) At a tavern in town.
(d) At a bench on the path.
8. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
(a) Consider leaving the Berghof.
(b) There are no sounds.
(d) Avoid his neighbor.
9. Who does Settembrini say music is especially dangerous for?
10. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
11. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(d) Hans' grandfather.
12. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
13. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) He cannot see who does it.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
14. Whose always-late, door-slamming entrances to the dining hall does Hans watch?
15. What do Joachim and Settembrini agree that music can awaken?
(a) The body.
(b) The intellect.
(c) The heart.
(d) The soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
3. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
4. What is the name of the private nurse whom Hans meets in Chapter 4?
5. What does the whistler's group call themselves?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)