|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
(a) Je aime.
(b) Un, dos, trois.
(d) None at all.
2. Who listens to a concert in Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Behrens and Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Hans and Joachim.
(c) Settembrini and Naphta.
(d) Hans and Clavdia.
3. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Frau Stohr.
(b) A village girl.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) No one.
4. Who does Settembrini mock for inventing the "summer season"?
5. What does the whistler's group call themselves?
(a) The Berghof Patience.
(b) The Half-Heart Gang.
(c) The Half-Lung Club.
(d) There is no group with the whistler.
6. Where does Hans go on Monday in Chapter 4?
(a) The dining hall.
(d) A long hike in the mountains.
7. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
(a) The spoken word.
(b) The written word.
8. Who notices that Hans is anemic?
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
9. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
(b) The water.
10. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
(a) It makes him appear handsome.
(b) There is no such portrait.
(c) It is frightening.
(d) It is his real image.
11. What kind of situations does Hans do best with?
(a) Those connected to nothing.
(b) Those connected to romance.
(c) Those connected to death.
(d) Those connected to the future.
12. What is the name of the whistler?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(b) Lodovic Settembrini.
(c) Leo Naphta.
(d) Hermine Kleefeld.
13. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
14. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Ask her on a date.
(c) Borrow a mechanical pencil.
(d) Marry her.
15. What is removed during meals and at night?
(a) Newborn babies.
(b) Unruly patients.
(d) Newlywed couples.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
2. What wears Hans down at the end of Chapter 2?
3. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
4. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
5. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)