|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Dr. Behrens.
2. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
(a) His blue Henry.
(b) His red herring.
(c) A spectum bottle.
(d) His best friend.
3. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
(a) His family at home.
(b) His poor health.
(c) The sanatorium and its patients.
4. Who does Settembrini mock for inventing the "summer season"?
5. How does Hans feel about someone slamming the door behind his back?
6. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
(a) It is his real image.
(b) It makes him appear handsome.
(c) There is no such portrait.
(d) It is frightening.
7. Whose always-late, door-slamming entrances to the dining hall does Hans watch?
8. What time period does Hans hallucinate about?
(a) Middle school.
(b) High school.
(c) His future.
(d) His time at the Berghof.
9. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
(a) Je aime.
(c) Un, dos, trois.
(d) None at all.
10. What does Dr. Krokowski's gesture at the end of his lecture remind Hans of?
11. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
(a) A ski-lift.
(b) A boat.
(c) His narrow-gauge railroad car.
(d) The Berghof's personal plane.
12. What preoccupies Hans during Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
(a) Clavdia's arms in gauzy sleeves.
(c) His nausea.
(d) Joachim motioning for him.
13. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Frau Stohr.
14. Where does Hans sometimes follow his caretaker after dinner?
(a) To bed.
(b) Into the garden.
(c) To the neighbor's house.
(d) Into the den.
15. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
(d) The water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
2. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
3. Whose glance distracts Hans near the end of Chapter 4?
4. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
5. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)