|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Four months.
(d) Four weeks.
2. Where does Hans sometimes follow his caretaker after dinner?
(a) Into the garden.
(b) To the neighbor's house.
(c) Into the den.
(d) To bed.
3. Who thinks that music can perform the reasonable function of measuring time?
4. Who whistles at Hans on the mountain path?
(a) A female patient.
(b) A male patient.
(c) A male doctor.
(d) A female doctor.
5. Whose glance distracts Hans near the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Behrens'.
(c) Dr. Krokowski's.
6. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
(a) Someone being constrained from fighting.
(c) The sounds of lovemaking.
(d) An argument.
7. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
(a) They laugh.
(b) There are no other patients around.
(c) They whistle at him also.
(d) They stare in bewilderment.
8. What does the whistler use to whistle?
(a) His/her pneumothorax.
(b) A whistle on a string.
(c) His/her lungs.
(d) His/her nose.
9. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
(b) Drug abuse.
10. What is Settembrini's reason for his feelings about music?
(a) It makes him happy.
(b) It attracts young women.
(c) He has no feelings about music.
(d) It inflames the emotions.
11. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
(a) An American woman's.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat's.
(d) An Austrian horseman's.
12. What does the whistler's group call themselves?
(a) The Half-Heart Gang.
(b) There is no group with the whistler.
(c) The Half-Lung Club.
(d) The Berghof Patience.
13. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) No one.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Frau Stohr.
(d) A village girl.
14. Where do the cousins meet Settembrini?
(a) At a tavern in town.
(b) At Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
(c) At a bench on the path.
(d) At the beach.
15. What does Hans' mother die from?
(b) An embolism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
2. What is removed during meals and at night?
3. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
4. What is the name of the whistler?
5. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)