|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that work does not agree with him?
2. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
(a) Hans does not smoke cigars.
(b) Maria Mancini.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Joachim Niemssen.
3. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
4. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
(c) The spoken word.
(d) The written word.
5. How should Hans live while is at the Berghof, according to Dr. Behrens?
(a) He should not stay at the Berghof at all.
(b) As though he is on vacation.
(c) As if he had tuberculosis himself.
(d) As though he is going to die soon.
6. What is engraved with the names of Hans' family patriarchs for the past few hundred years?
(a) The family Bible.
(c) The family baptismal bowl.
(d) The portrait of Hans' grandfather.
7. Who whistles at Hans on the mountain path?
(a) A male patient.
(b) A female patient.
(c) A female doctor.
(d) A male doctor.
8. What does Chapter 2 detail?
(a) Hans' future.
(b) Hans' nightmare.
(c) Hans' backstory.
(d) Hans' fears.
9. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(b) A village girl.
(c) Frau Stohr.
(d) No one.
10. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Frau Stohr.
11. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
(a) He/she never screamed.
(b) Because he/she was in so much pain.
(c) Because he/she saw the priest arriving for last rites.
(d) Because he/she was not allowed to leave the Berghof.
12. Who is Tienappel?
(a) Hans' cousin.
(b) Hans' grandfather.
(c) Hans' great-uncle.
(d) Hans' father.
13. Who raises Hans for a year and a half after his parents' deaths?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His great-aunt.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His great-uncle.
14. What is the old woman doing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Pacing in the garden.
(b) Sitting on a bench, gazing at the sky.
(c) Reading a book of poetry.
(d) Crying with her face in her hands.
15. What is the name of the whistler?
(a) Lodovic Settembrini.
(b) Leo Naphta.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Hermine Kleefeld.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
2. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
3. What is removed during meals and at night?
4. What time period does Hans hallucinate about?
5. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)