|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Four months.
2. Who expresses satisfaction that Hans has come to the Berghof?
(b) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
3. When does Hans feel healthy?
(c) When he watches Clavdia.
(d) When he is doing nothing.
4. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(d) Hans' grandfather.
5. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
6. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
(a) None at all.
(c) Je aime.
(d) Un, dos, trois.
7. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
(a) Because he/she saw the priest arriving for last rites.
(b) Because he/she was not allowed to leave the Berghof.
(c) He/she never screamed.
(d) Because he/she was in so much pain.
8. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
(a) The spoken word.
(b) The written word.
9. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
(a) His best friend.
(b) A spectum bottle.
(c) His blue Henry.
(d) His red herring.
10. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
(a) Consider leaving the Berghof.
(c) Avoid his neighbor.
(d) There are no sounds.
11. How does Hans describe the old woman in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) As tragic-looking.
(b) As beautiful.
(c) As hideous.
(d) He does not see an old woman.
12. What are the opposing forces to Dr. Krokowski's lecture in Chapter 4?
(a) Life and health.
(b) Enemity and anger.
(c) Health and happiness.
(d) Shame and disgust.
13. What do Joachim and Settembrini agree that music can awaken?
(a) The body.
(b) The intellect.
(c) The heart.
(d) The soul.
14. What is the relationship between Hans and Joachim?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They do not know each other.
(d) They are friends.
15. What is Hans late for in Chapter 4?
(a) A date with Frau Stohr.
(b) A date with Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
(d) Dr. Behrens' lecture.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
2. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
3. What is the old woman in black called?
4. What kind of conversation does Settembrini use?
5. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)