|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hans sometimes follow his caretaker after dinner?
(a) To bed.
(b) Into the garden.
(c) Into the den.
(d) To the neighbor's house.
2. What is Hans' talent that allows him to move ahead in his education?
3. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
4. Whose comical mispronunciations provide endless amusement?
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Frau Stohr.
5. What preoccupies Hans during Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
(a) His nausea.
(b) Clavdia's arms in gauzy sleeves.
(c) Joachim motioning for him.
6. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) A village girl.
(b) Frau Stohr.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) No one.
7. Who does Hans and Joachim overhear complaining about their stay at the Berghof and other prospects in October?
(a) Hermine Kleefeld and other patients.
(d) Dr. Behrens and Dr. Krokowski.
8. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
(a) His family at home.
(c) The sanatorium and its patients.
(d) His poor health.
9. What does Hans muse about while lying on his deck chair?
10. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
(a) Because he/she was not allowed to leave the Berghof.
(b) He/she never screamed.
(c) Because he/she saw the priest arriving for last rites.
(d) Because he/she was in so much pain.
11. What happens when Hans stops by a brook?
(a) He nearly drowns.
(b) He cries.
(c) He trips and falls.
(d) He suffers a nosebleed.
12. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
(a) Maria Mancini.
(b) Hans does not smoke cigars.
(c) Joachim Niemssen.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
13. Who does Settembrini mock for inventing the "summer season"?
14. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
(a) His narrow-gauge railroad car.
(b) A ski-lift.
(c) The Berghof's personal plane.
(d) A boat.
15. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(d) Hans' grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Settembrini say music is especially dangerous for?
2. What does the whistler use to whistle?
3. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
4. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
5. What does Hans' mother die from?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)