|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Hans feel healthy?
(b) When he watches Clavdia.
(c) When he is doing nothing.
2. What is the name of the private nurse whom Hans meets in Chapter 4?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Frau Stohr.
(d) Sister Berta.
3. How does Hans feel about his cigars losing their flavor?
4. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
5. How does Hans describe the old woman in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) As beautiful.
(b) He does not see an old woman.
(c) As hideous.
(d) As tragic-looking.
6. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
(a) Ask her on a date.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Borrow a mechanical pencil.
7. Where does Hans walk after first breakfast in Chapter 3?
(a) To a lecture.
(b) To Joachim's room.
(d) A mountain path.
8. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
(a) They stare in bewilderment.
(b) There are no other patients around.
(c) They whistle at him also.
(d) They laugh.
9. What preoccupies Hans during Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
(a) Joachim motioning for him.
(b) Clavdia's arms in gauzy sleeves.
(d) His nausea.
10. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
(c) Drug abuse.
11. What is the name of the whistler?
(a) Hermine Kleefeld.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Lodovic Settembrini.
(d) Leo Naphta.
12. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(b) He cannot see who does it.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
13. Who thinks that music can perform the reasonable function of measuring time?
14. What month does it snow in Chapter 4?
15. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
(a) Consider leaving the Berghof.
(b) Avoid his neighbor.
(c) There are no sounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
2. What is removed during meals and at night?
3. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
4. How does Hans feel about someone slamming the door behind his back?
5. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)