|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What preoccupies Hans during Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
(a) His nausea.
(b) Joachim motioning for him.
(d) Clavdia's arms in gauzy sleeves.
2. What is engraved with the names of Hans' family patriarchs for the past few hundred years?
(a) The portrait of Hans' grandfather.
(c) The family Bible.
(d) The family baptismal bowl.
3. According to Settembrini, how were sickness and infirmity regarded during medieval times?
(a) As angering God.
(b) As bad luck.
(c) As passports to heaven.
(d) They did not view it as anything.
4. What kind of situations does Hans do best with?
(a) Those connected to romance.
(b) Those connected to death.
(c) Those connected to nothing.
(d) Those connected to the future.
5. What does Hans do on his first full day at the Berghof?
(a) Decide to return home.
(b) Read a book.
(c) Look out from his room.
(d) Write to his parents.
6. How does Settembrini feel about music?
(a) He has a political distaste for it.
(b) He enjoys it.
(c) He feels that it is dangerous for Joachim.
(d) He is a musician himself.
7. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
(a) They laugh.
(b) There are no other patients around.
(c) They whistle at him also.
(d) They stare in bewilderment.
8. What does Dr. Krokowski's gesture at the end of his lecture remind Hans of?
9. Who notices that Hans is anemic?
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
10. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
(a) Lack of sleep.
(b) Drug use.
(d) Blood loss.
11. Who does Settembrini say music is especially dangerous for?
12. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Frau Stohr.
(b) A village girl.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) No one.
13. Who visits Hans in Chapter 5 as Hans daydreams about Clavdia?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
14. What does Hans tell Joachim is really his element?
15. What is Settembrini's reason for his feelings about music?
(a) It makes him happy.
(b) He has no feelings about music.
(c) It inflames the emotions.
(d) It attracts young women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Catholic patient that Joachim tells Hans about in Chapter 3?
2. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
3. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
4. What does Hans plan to do on Monday in Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)