|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
(a) Drug use.
(c) Blood loss.
(d) Lack of sleep.
2. Who does Settembrini mock for inventing the "summer season"?
3. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(b) Hans' grandfather.
4. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
5. How does Hans describe the old woman in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) As tragic-looking.
(b) As hideous.
(c) He does not see an old woman.
(d) As beautiful.
6. How does Hans feel about his cigars losing their flavor?
7. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
(a) Because he/she saw the priest arriving for last rites.
(b) He/she never screamed.
(c) Because he/she was in so much pain.
(d) Because he/she was not allowed to leave the Berghof.
8. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
(b) The spoken word.
(c) The written word.
9. Who does Hans hallucinate about?
(a) Pribislav Hippe.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Hanz Lorenz Castorp.
(d) Joachim Niemssen.
10. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
(a) He feels Joachim criticizes him, not Settembrini.
(b) Being at the Berghof.
(c) Buying blankets.
(d) Loving Clavdia.
11. What time period does Hans hallucinate about?
(a) His future.
(b) Middle school.
(c) High school.
(d) His time at the Berghof.
12. What preoccupies Hans during Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
(a) His nausea.
(c) Joachim motioning for him.
(d) Clavdia's arms in gauzy sleeves.
13. Who thinks that music can perform the reasonable function of measuring time?
14. What is Settembrini's reason for his feelings about music?
(a) He has no feelings about music.
(b) It inflames the emotions.
(c) It attracts young women.
(d) It makes him happy.
15. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
(a) His narrow-gauge railroad car.
(b) A ski-lift.
(c) The Berghof's personal plane.
(d) A boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
2. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
3. What is Hans doing by his third day at the Berghof?
4. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
5. How should Hans live while is at the Berghof, according to Dr. Behrens?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)