|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
(a) Drug use.
(c) Lack of sleep.
(d) Blood loss.
2. What is Hans doing by his third day at the Berghof?
(a) Falling in love with Clavdia.
(b) Studying astronomy.
(c) Wanting to leave the Berghof.
(d) Becoming accustomed to the routine.
3. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
(a) Ask her on a date.
(b) Borrow a mechanical pencil.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Kill him.
4. What is the old woman in black called?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(b) Madame Chauchat.
(d) Frau Stohr.
5. What does Hans' mother die from?
(d) An embolism.
6. Whose comical mispronunciations provide endless amusement?
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Frau Stohr.
7. What is the old woman doing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Pacing in the garden.
(b) Crying with her face in her hands.
(c) Sitting on a bench, gazing at the sky.
(d) Reading a book of poetry.
8. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
(a) It makes him appear handsome.
(b) It is his real image.
(c) It is frightening.
(d) There is no such portrait.
9. What does Hans feel that Settembrini criticizes him for in Chapter 4?
(a) Loving Clavdia.
(b) He feels Joachim criticizes him, not Settembrini.
(c) Buying blankets.
(d) Being at the Berghof.
10. How does Hans feel about the image of his grandfather in his coffin?
(a) He is terrified by it.
(b) He reveres it.
(c) Hans does not see his grandfather in his coffin.
(d) He finds his grandfather hideous.
11. Who notices that Hans is anemic?
(b) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
12. Who tells Hans the name of the whistler?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
13. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
(d) The water.
14. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
(a) Because he/she saw the priest arriving for last rites.
(b) Because he/she was in so much pain.
(c) He/she never screamed.
(d) Because he/she was not allowed to leave the Berghof.
15. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
(d) Drug abuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
2. Where does Hans walk after first breakfast in Chapter 3?
3. What does Hans turn the conversation toward on his first day at the Berghof?
4. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
5. What is Hans' talent that allows him to move ahead in his education?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)