|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of situations does Hans do best with?
(a) Those connected to nothing.
(b) Those connected to the future.
(c) Those connected to romance.
(d) Those connected to death.
2. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
(a) The spoken word.
(c) The written word.
3. Who says that work does not agree with him?
4. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Four months.
(d) Two months.
5. What does Hans plan to do on Monday in Chapter 4?
(a) Play "king in a meadow."
(b) Propose to Clavdia.
(c) Attend Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
(d) Get his x-rays taken.
6. What is Hans' talent that allows him to move ahead in his education?
7. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
8. Who does Settembrini call "lieutenant"?
9. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
(a) An Austrian horseman
(b) His aunt.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) An American woman.
10. Who visits Hans in Chapter 5 as Hans daydreams about Clavdia?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
11. What does Dr. Krokowski's gesture at the end of his lecture remind Hans of?
12. How should Hans live while is at the Berghof, according to Dr. Behrens?
(a) As though he is going to die soon.
(b) As if he had tuberculosis himself.
(c) He should not stay at the Berghof at all.
(d) As though he is on vacation.
13. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
(a) Joachim Niemssen.
(b) Hans does not smoke cigars.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Maria Mancini.
14. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
(a) Avoid his neighbor.
(c) Consider leaving the Berghof.
(d) There are no sounds.
15. What does Hans' father die from?
(b) An embolism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Hans' temperature to decline in Chapter 5?
2. What preoccupies Hans during Dr. Krokowski's lecture?
3. How does Hans feel about the image of his grandfather in his coffin?
4. What kind of conversation does Settembrini use?
5. What is engraved with the names of Hans' family patriarchs for the past few hundred years?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)