|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
(a) There are no sounds.
(b) Consider leaving the Berghof.
(d) Avoid his neighbor.
2. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
3. Who raises Hans for a year and a half after his parents' deaths?
(a) His great-uncle.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His great-aunt.
4. Where does Hans go on Monday in Chapter 4?
(a) A long hike in the mountains.
(b) The dining hall.
5. Who is Tienappel?
(a) Hans' cousin.
(b) Hans' father.
(c) Hans' great-uncle.
(d) Hans' grandfather.
6. What does the whistler use to whistle?
(a) A whistle on a string.
(b) His/her lungs.
(c) His/her nose.
(d) His/her pneumothorax.
7. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(c) Hans' grandfather.
8. What are the old woman's sons dying from?
9. Whose always-late, door-slamming entrances to the dining hall does Hans watch?
10. Who does Settembrini compare to Minos and Rhadamanthus?
(a) Clavdia and Peeperkorn.
(b) Himself and Naphta.
(c) Behrens and Krokowski.
(d) Hans and Joachim.
11. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
(b) The sounds of lovemaking.
(c) An argument.
(d) Someone being constrained from fighting.
12. What kind of conversation does Settembrini use?
(b) All answers are correct.
13. What does Hans' father die from?
(b) An embolism.
14. What does Dr. Krokowski's gesture at the end of his lecture remind Hans of?
15. What does Joachim say is not taken seriously at the Berghof?
(a) Hard work.
(b) Love and relationships.
(d) Illness and death.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what is contrasted with music?
2. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
3. Who thinks that music can perform the reasonable function of measuring time?
4. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
5. What is the name of the Catholic patient that Joachim tells Hans about in Chapter 3?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)