|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
(a) There are no sounds.
(b) Avoid his neighbor.
(d) Consider leaving the Berghof.
2. What does Dr. Krokowski lecture about in Chapter 4?
3. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) A village girl.
(b) No one.
(c) Frau Stohr.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
4. Who does Settembrini say music is especially dangerous for?
5. What kind of conversation does Settembrini use?
(b) All answers are correct.
6. What does Hans' mother die from?
(a) An embolism.
7. Who feels like he has been at the Berghof for an eternity?
8. Where do the cousins meet Settembrini?
(a) At Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
(b) At a bench on the path.
(c) At a tavern in town.
(d) At the beach.
9. What does Hans plan to do on Monday in Chapter 4?
(a) Attend Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
(b) Propose to Clavdia.
(c) Play "king in a meadow."
(d) Get his x-rays taken.
10. Where is the concert in Chapter 4 held?
(a) In the dining hall at the Berghof sanatorium.
(b) On the verandah.
(c) In Davos.
(d) In Hans' room.
11. Who are Minos and Rhadamanthus in Greek mythology?
(c) Judges of the dead.
12. What causes Hans to hallucinate in Chapter 4?
(a) Lack of sleep.
(c) Drug use.
(d) Blood loss.
13. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
14. What does Hans muse about while lying on his deck chair?
15. What wears Hans down at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) His thwarted romance.
(b) His ill health.
(c) The deaths surrounding him.
(d) The concentrated study for his college exams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter 2 detail?
2. Who thinks that music can perform the reasonable function of measuring time?
3. Who does Hans and Joachim overhear complaining about their stay at the Berghof and other prospects in October?
4. Who whistles at Hans on the mountain path?
5. What do Joachim and Settembrini agree that music can awaken?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)