|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans sing at the top of his voice in Chapter 4?
(a) Rock songs.
(c) Love songs.
(d) Patriotic songs.
2. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
(a) Dr. Behrens.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Frau Stohr.
3. According to Settembrini, how were sickness and infirmity regarded during medieval times?
(a) They did not view it as anything.
(b) As bad luck.
(c) As passports to heaven.
(d) As angering God.
4. Who does Settembrini call "lieutenant"?
5. What is Hans late for in Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Behrens' lecture.
(b) Dr. Krokowski's lecture.
(c) A date with Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) A date with Frau Stohr.
6. Who refers to the written word as "the bearer of the human intellect"?
7. How do the other patients react to Hans being whistle at?
(a) They stare in bewilderment.
(b) They whistle at him also.
(c) There are no other patients around.
(d) They laugh.
8. Who claims that he has never met a perfectly healthy person?
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
9. Who is the executor of Hans' parents' estate?
(b) Hans' grandfather.
10. How long is Hans confined to bed rest in Chapter 5?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Four months.
11. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
(b) He cannot see who does it.
(c) Dr. Krokowski.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
12. What did Hans finally get the nerve to do after observing the object of his hallucination for nearly a year?
(a) Ask her on a date.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Borrow a mechanical pencil.
(d) Kill him.
13. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
(a) Joachim Niemssen.
(b) Hans does not smoke cigars.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) Maria Mancini.
14. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
(a) He/she never screamed.
(b) Because he/she saw the priest arriving for last rites.
(c) Because he/she was in so much pain.
(d) Because he/she was not allowed to leave the Berghof.
15. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
(a) The water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans and Joachim overhear complaining about their stay at the Berghof and other prospects in October?
2. Who does Settembrini flirt with at the end of Chapter 3?
3. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
4. What does Hans think about the portrait of his grandfather in his civic costume as town councilor?
5. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)