|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of situations does Hans do best with?
(a) Those connected to death.
(b) Those connected to nothing.
(c) Those connected to romance.
(d) Those connected to the future.
2. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
(a) An Austrian horseman
(b) An American woman.
(c) His aunt.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
3. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(d) Dr. Behrens.
4. Where does Hans go on Monday in Chapter 4?
(c) The dining hall.
(d) A long hike in the mountains.
5. What does Chapter 2 detail?
(a) Hans' fears.
(b) Hans' backstory.
(c) Hans' future.
(d) Hans' nightmare.
6. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
(a) Maria Mancini.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Hans does not smoke cigars.
(d) Joachim Niemssen.
7. Who feels like he has been at the Berghof for an eternity?
8. Who are Minos and Rhadamanthus in Greek mythology?
(c) Judges of the dead.
9. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
(a) At the wharf.
(b) The Berghof.
10. What do Joachim and Settembrini agree that music can awaken?
(a) The intellect.
(b) The heart.
(c) The soul.
(d) The body.
11. What is the only French that the old woman knows?
(a) Un, dos, trois.
(b) None at all.
(c) Je aime.
12. How does Hans feel about the image of his grandfather in his coffin?
(a) He finds his grandfather hideous.
(b) He reveres it.
(c) He is terrified by it.
(d) Hans does not see his grandfather in his coffin.
13. Where does Hans sometimes follow his caretaker after dinner?
(a) Into the den.
(b) To the neighbor's house.
(c) To bed.
(d) Into the garden.
14. Who does Hans hallucinate about?
(a) Hanz Lorenz Castorp.
(b) Joachim Niemssen.
(c) Pribislav Hippe.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
15. How does Settembrini feel about music?
(a) He feels that it is dangerous for Joachim.
(b) He enjoys it.
(c) He is a musician himself.
(d) He has a political distaste for it.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his bed rest ends, what does Hans accompany Joachim to do?
2. What is the relationship between Hans and Joachim?
3. What is kept very discreet at the Berghof?
4. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
5. What does Hans sing at the top of his voice in Chapter 4?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)