|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Settembrini compare to Minos and Rhadamanthus?
(a) Hans and Joachim.
(b) Clavdia and Peeperkorn.
(c) Behrens and Krokowski.
(d) Himself and Naphta.
2. When does Hans feel healthy?
(a) When he is doing nothing.
(c) When he watches Clavdia.
3. Who does Settembrini mock for inventing the "summer season"?
4. What is Hans' talent that allows him to move ahead in his education?
5. What do Joachim and Settembrini agree that music can awaken?
(a) The heart.
(b) The soul.
(c) The intellect.
(d) The body.
6. Who does Hans mention when Settembrini complains about his ignorant tablemates?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(b) Frau Stohr.
(d) Dr. Behrens.
7. Whose comical mispronunciations provide endless amusement?
(b) Frau Stohr.
(d) Dr. Krokowski.
8. What kind of conversation does Settembrini use?
(d) All answers are correct.
9. Who slams the door behind Hans' back?
(a) Dr. Krokowski.
(c) Dr. Behrens.
(d) He cannot see who does it.
10. In Chapter 3, what does Hans hear from the room next door?
(a) Someone being constrained from fighting.
(b) The sounds of lovemaking.
(c) An argument.
11. Whose always-late, door-slamming entrances to the dining hall does Hans watch?
12. What does Hans do for days and weeks after hearing the sounds from the room next door?
(a) Consider leaving the Berghof.
(b) There are no sounds.
(c) Avoid his neighbor.
13. What is the name of the private nurse whom Hans meets in Chapter 4?
(a) Frau Stohr.
(b) Sister Berta.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat.
14. Why did the Catholic patient scream?
(a) Because he/she saw the priest arriving for last rites.
(b) Because he/she was in so much pain.
(c) He/she never screamed.
(d) Because he/she was not allowed to leave the Berghof.
15. What is the name of the whistler?
(a) Lodovic Settembrini.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) Hermine Kleefeld.
(d) Leo Naphta.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hans describe the old woman in the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. Who do Hans and Joachim encounter at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What does the whistler's group call themselves?
4. How does Hans feel about his cigars losing their flavor?
5. What is the name of Hans' favorite cigar?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)