Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1
1. Who is Hans Castorp, where is he at the beginning of Chapter 1, and how does it make him feel?
2. Who is Joachim Ziemssen, what does he look like, and what does he explain to Hans?
3. What happens as Hans settles into his room at the Berghof?
4. Describe Hans' welcome meal at the Berghof.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 2
5. Describe Hans' grandfather, Hans Lorenz Castorp.
6. What does Hans believe portrays the real image of his grandfather, and how...
This section contains 900 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)