Short Answer Questions Key
1. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
His narrow-gauge railroad car.
2. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
The thin air.
3. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
4. What is the relationship between Hans and Joachim?
They are cousins.
5. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
6. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
His blue Henry.
7. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
An American woman.
8. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
An Austrian horseman's.
This section contains 3,666 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)