1. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
(a) A boat.
(b) A ski-lift.
(c) His narrow-gauge railroad car.
(d) The Berghof's personal plane.
2. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
(a) The thin air.
(b) His attraction to Clavdia.
(c) The fact that he did not eat.
(d) His anxiety.
3. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
(b) The Berghof.
(c) At the wharf.
4. What is the relationship between Hans and Joachim?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) They are friends.
(d) They do not know each other.
5. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
(a) The water.
6. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
(a) His best friend.
(b) A spectum bottle.
(c) His red herring.
(d) His blue Henry.
7. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
(a) His aunt.
(b) An American woman.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat.
(d) An Austrian horseman
8. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
(a) An American woman's.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat's.
(d) An Austrian horseman's.
This section contains 3,666 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)