1. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
(a) The Berghof's personal plane.
(b) A ski-lift.
(c) His narrow-gauge railroad car.
(d) A boat.
2. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
(a) The fact that he did not eat.
(b) His attraction to Clavdia.
(c) His anxiety.
(d) The thin air.
3. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
(c) At the wharf.
(d) The Berghof.
4. What is the relationship between Hans and Joachim?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They do not know each other.
5. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
(d) The water.
6. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
(a) A spectum bottle.
(b) His red herring.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His blue Henry.
7. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
(a) His aunt.
(b) Clavdia Chauchat.
(c) An American woman.
(d) An Austrian horseman
8. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
(b) An American woman's.
(c) Clavdia Chauchat's.
(d) An Austrian horseman's.
This section contains 3,666 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)