1. What does Hans Castorp ride to ascend the Alps?
(a) A boat.
(b) A ski-lift.
(c) The Berghof's personal plane.
(d) His narrow-gauge railroad car.
2. What makes Hans dizzy in Chapter 1?
(a) The fact that he did not eat.
(b) His attraction to Clavdia.
(c) His anxiety.
(d) The thin air.
3. Where does Hans first arrive in Chapter 1?
(a) The Berghof.
(c) At the wharf.
4. What is the relationship between Hans and Joachim?
(a) They do not know each other.
(b) They are friends.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are cousins.
5. What does Joachim say is different in the mountains?
(d) The water.
6. What does Joachim call the spectum bottle that most Berghof patients carry?
(a) A spectum bottle.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His red herring.
(d) His blue Henry.
7. Who does Hans learn has recently died in his room?
(a) Clavdia Chauchat.
(b) His aunt.
(c) An Austrian horseman
(d) An American woman.
8. Whose sickly cough horrifies Hans?
(b) An American woman's.
(c) An Austrian horseman's.
(d) Clavdia Chauchat's.
This section contains 3,666 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)