|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
2. When Jimmie passes the group of women in the dark hallway, about whom are they talking?
3. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
4. To whom in the crowd does the "painted" girl throw her glances?
5. How does Maggie feel when Pete and Nellie leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do attitudes change toward the "painted" girl as she moves through the various districts of the city?
2. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
3. Why is Mudder raving when Jimmie finally comes home after his saloon fight?
4. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
5. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
6. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
7. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
8. What does Jimmie do when the policeman arrives to break up the saloon fight?
9. How does Nellie's attitude toward Pete in Chapter 18 reflect a sort of poetic justice?
10. As the fight between Jimmie and his companion and Pete progresses, a beer glass is thrown. What happens next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plays Pete and Maggie go to see as metaphors for Maggie's life. Identify the three main characters in these plays and explain how each serves as a metaphor for people in Maggie's life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effectiveness of the book in each of the following areas:
A) Overall theme.
D) Use of literary devices (symbolism, metaphor, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
The book opens with a fight scene. How does this fact foreshadow the path of the entire book? Discuss at least three specific fight scenes from the book, concentrating on motives and outcomes.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)