|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
2. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
3. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
4. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
5. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the saloon in Chapter 11 a metaphor for Pete's life? Discuss both internal and external characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Although Maggie makes a conscious decision to be with Pete, she still clearly has feelings for Mudder and Jimmie. Identify at least two instances where Maggie makes an effort to reconnect with her family. Discuss the steps Maggie takes and the reactions she meets with from Jimmie and Mudder. What does this say about their family dynamics and values?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Pete's reappearance in Jimmie's life so dramatically impact Maggie's satisfaction with her own life? List and describe at least four areas of life that become increasingly unsatisfactory to Maggie as her relationship with Pete develops. What steps does Maggie take to improve these areas of her life? What does this say about her?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)