|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
2. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
3. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
4. How does Pete treat Maggie as they watch the beginning of the show?
5. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
How is the saloon in Chapter 11 a metaphor for Pete's life? Discuss both internal and external characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Pete's reappearance in Jimmie's life so dramatically impact Maggie's satisfaction with her own life? List and describe at least four areas of life that become increasingly unsatisfactory to Maggie as her relationship with Pete develops. What steps does Maggie take to improve these areas of her life? What does this say about her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plays Pete and Maggie go to see as metaphors for Maggie's life. Identify the three main characters in these plays and explain how each serves as a metaphor for people in Maggie's life.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)