Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
2. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
3. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
4. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
5. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plays Pete and Maggie go to see as metaphors for Maggie's life. Identify the three main characters in these plays and explain how each serves as a metaphor for people in Maggie's life.
Essay Topic 2
Our perceptions of people and things are often dictated by our social class and cultural norms. As Maggie travels through the various districts mentioned in Chapter 17, we see a variety of different perceptions. Trace Maggie's path through the city and comment on the attitudes and perceptions she experiences. Identify at least three distinct social classes or districts.
Essay Topic 3
Both police and firefighters are in positions of authority, but Jimmie has very different emotions and reactions toward these two groups. Compare and contrast Jimmie's hostility towards police and his admiration for fire engines.
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)