|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
2. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
3. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
4. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
5. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
Both police and firefighters are in positions of authority, but Jimmie has very different emotions and reactions toward these two groups. Compare and contrast Jimmie's hostility towards police and his admiration for fire engines.
Essay Topic 2
Maggie emerges into young adulthood as the indisputable beauty of Rum Alley. The "philosophers" of Rum Alley debate how Maggie underwent such a dramatic physical transformation. They also discuss her beauty in terms of its potential consequences. Is Maggie's beauty an asset or a liability for her? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the morality of Rum Alley based on each of the following scenarios:
A) Fader and Mudder disciplining violence with more violence.
B) The old woman trading her kindness for favors.
C) Jimmie fighting to protect the old woman's beer.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)