|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
2. Where does the "painted" girl end up in her wandering?
3. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
4. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
5. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
2. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
3. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
4. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
5. How might Maggie's story be different if the stout gentleman she encounters in the suburbs stops to help her?
6. How do Jimmie and his companion get Pete's attention after they sit down at the bar?
7. How does Pete rationalize his lack of guilt in the situation with Maggie?
8. Why does the old woman stop Jimmie to report what she witnessed in the hallway?
9. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
10. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Maggie makes a conscious decision to be with Pete, she still clearly has feelings for Mudder and Jimmie. Identify at least two instances where Maggie makes an effort to reconnect with her family. Discuss the steps Maggie takes and the reactions she meets with from Jimmie and Mudder. What does this say about their family dynamics and values?
Essay Topic 2
The poverty and chaos of the Rum Alley tenement unite its residents. Discuss in detail at least three examples or Rum Alley unity, including the circumstances of the unity, the motive behind the unity, and the purpose the unity serves to accomplish.
Essay Topic 3
How is the saloon in Chapter 11 a metaphor for Pete's life? Discuss both internal and external characteristics.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)