Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
2. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
3. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
4. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
5. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the concept of hypocrisy. Where do you see hypocrisy at work in the story? Identify and explain at least two examples of hypocrisy in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the morality of Rum Alley based on each of the following scenarios:
A) Fader and Mudder disciplining violence with more violence.
B) The old woman trading her kindness for favors.
C) Jimmie fighting to protect the old woman's beer.
Essay Topic 3
Although Maggie makes a conscious decision to be with Pete, she still clearly has feelings for Mudder and Jimmie. Identify at least two instances where Maggie makes an effort to reconnect with her family. Discuss the steps Maggie takes and the reactions she meets with from Jimmie and Mudder. What does this say about their family dynamics and values?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)