|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink do Jimmie and his companion order?
2. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
3. Who does Jimmie meet on the street when he leaves the apartment?
4. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
5. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
2. Why does the "painted" girl direct her glances toward the rural, less educated men?
3. How do Jimmie and his companion get Pete's attention after they sit down at the bar?
4. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
5. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
6. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
7. How might Maggie's story be different if the stout gentleman she encounters in the suburbs stops to help her?
8. What does Jimmie do when the policeman arrives to break up the saloon fight?
9. Why does the old woman stop Jimmie to report what she witnessed in the hallway?
10. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Maggie makes a conscious decision to be with Pete, she still clearly has feelings for Mudder and Jimmie. Identify at least two instances where Maggie makes an effort to reconnect with her family. Discuss the steps Maggie takes and the reactions she meets with from Jimmie and Mudder. What does this say about their family dynamics and values?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the concept of hypocrisy. Where do you see hypocrisy at work in the story? Identify and explain at least two examples of hypocrisy in the text.
Essay Topic 3
After a particularly combative day, Mudder and Jimmie have a brawl in the apartment in Chapter 9. At the end of this fight, Pete arrives to take Maggie out for the evening. There is a moment of decision as Maggie surveys the chaos and listens to Mudder's curses. Finally, Maggie decides to leave with Pete. Evaluate this decision based on at least two of the following factors:
A) The significance of the decision.
B) The ways Pete, Mudder, and Jimmie affect the decision.
C) The motives behind the decision.
D) The effects of the decision.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)