Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
2. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
3. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
4. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
5. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
Essay Topic 1
Maggie is ultimately responsible for her decisions and the path of her life, but several other characters play a role in Maggie's development. Identify at least three characters that have an impact on Maggie's life and analyze their level of responsibility for Maggie's tragic end.
Essay Topic 2
Our perceptions of people and things are often dictated by our social class and cultural norms. As Maggie travels through the various districts mentioned in Chapter 17, we see a variety of different perceptions. Trace Maggie's path through the city and comment on the attitudes and perceptions she experiences. Identify at least three distinct social classes or districts.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the concept of poetic justice. Find an example of poetic justice from the text and elaborate on it, pointing out exactly what happens and why it qualifies as poetic justice.
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)