|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
2. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
3. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
4. Who else is drinking at the bar during the verbal exchange between Jimmie, his companion, and Pete?
5. When Maggie asks "Who?" as she wanders, who tries to answer her question?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effectiveness of the book in each of the following areas:
A) Overall theme.
D) Use of literary devices (symbolism, metaphor, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
What event represents the turning point of the story? Identify the climax and explain its significance to any three of the following characters:
Essay Topic 3
Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women in Chapter 12 is one of the most obvious examples of foreshadowing in this book. Discuss the concept of foreshadowing and explain how Maggie's reaction is an example of foreshadowing. Use specific citations from the text to support your points.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)