|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
2. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
3. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
4. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
5. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
2. How do attitudes change toward the "painted" girl as she moves through the various districts of the city?
3. What does Jimmie do when the policeman arrives to break up the saloon fight?
4. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
5. Why does the old woman stop Jimmie to report what she witnessed in the hallway?
6. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
7. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
8. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
9. Why does the "painted" girl direct her glances toward the rural, less educated men?
10. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women in Chapter 12 is one of the most obvious examples of foreshadowing in this book. Discuss the concept of foreshadowing and explain how Maggie's reaction is an example of foreshadowing. Use specific citations from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
The book opens with a fight scene. How does this fact foreshadow the path of the entire book? Discuss at least three specific fight scenes from the book, concentrating on motives and outcomes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effectiveness of the book in each of the following areas:
A) Overall theme.
D) Use of literary devices (symbolism, metaphor, etc.).
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)