|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
2. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
3. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
4. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
5. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
2. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
3. How do Jimmie and his companion get Pete's attention after they sit down at the bar?
4. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
5. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
6. As the fight between Jimmie and his companion and Pete progresses, a beer glass is thrown. What happens next?
7. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
8. Why is Mudder raving when Jimmie finally comes home after his saloon fight?
9. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
10. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women in Chapter 12 is one of the most obvious examples of foreshadowing in this book. Discuss the concept of foreshadowing and explain how Maggie's reaction is an example of foreshadowing. Use specific citations from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the morality of Rum Alley based on each of the following scenarios:
A) Fader and Mudder disciplining violence with more violence.
B) The old woman trading her kindness for favors.
C) Jimmie fighting to protect the old woman's beer.
Essay Topic 3
What event represents the turning point of the story? Identify the climax and explain its significance to any three of the following characters:
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)