Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
2. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
3. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
4. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
5. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
Essay Topic 1
How is the saloon in Chapter 11 a metaphor for Pete's life? Discuss both internal and external characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the concept of hypocrisy. Where do you see hypocrisy at work in the story? Identify and explain at least two examples of hypocrisy in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the concept of poetic justice. Find an example of poetic justice from the text and elaborate on it, pointing out exactly what happens and why it qualifies as poetic justice.
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)