|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the person who breaks up the street fight in Chapter 1?
2. When the dancing girl first appears in the show, what is she wearing?
3. What does Mudder do to Jimmie in Chapter 2 that makes him scream in pain?
4. What is Pete's occupation?
5. Which of the following expressions is used in Chapter 3 to describe the old woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
2. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
3. How does Mudder express her anger with Jimmie's fighting?
4. How does Mudder's behavior on Friday foreshadow the coming path of Maggie's life?
5. What is Maggie's reaction to the show? Give specific examples of her behavior.
6. Briefly describe Mudder's appearance and demeanor when she is thrown out of the saloon.
7. When the author uses the phrase "a young man of leather" to describe Jimmie, what does he mean?
8. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
9. What is Maggie's impression of Pete as she listens to his tales?
10. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the saloon in Chapter 11 a metaphor for Pete's life? Discuss both internal and external characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
What event represents the turning point of the story? Identify the climax and explain its significance to any three of the following characters:
Essay Topic 3
The book opens with a fight scene. How does this fact foreshadow the path of the entire book? Discuss at least three specific fight scenes from the book, concentrating on motives and outcomes.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)