|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the dress Maggie wears to go out with Pete on Friday night?
2. Who is Mudder trying to start a fight with after she enters the tenement building?
3. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
4. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
5. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
2. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
3. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
4. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
5. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
6. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
7. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
8. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
9. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
10. When the author uses the phrase "a young man of leather" to describe Jimmie, what does he mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After a particularly combative day, Mudder and Jimmie have a brawl in the apartment in Chapter 9. At the end of this fight, Pete arrives to take Maggie out for the evening. There is a moment of decision as Maggie surveys the chaos and listens to Mudder's curses. Finally, Maggie decides to leave with Pete. Evaluate this decision based on at least two of the following factors:
A) The significance of the decision.
B) The ways Pete, Mudder, and Jimmie affect the decision.
C) The motives behind the decision.
D) The effects of the decision.
Essay Topic 2
Although Maggie makes a conscious decision to be with Pete, she still clearly has feelings for Mudder and Jimmie. Identify at least two instances where Maggie makes an effort to reconnect with her family. Discuss the steps Maggie takes and the reactions she meets with from Jimmie and Mudder. What does this say about their family dynamics and values?
Essay Topic 3
Maggie emerges into young adulthood as the indisputable beauty of Rum Alley. The "philosophers" of Rum Alley debate how Maggie underwent such a dramatic physical transformation. They also discuss her beauty in terms of its potential consequences. Is Maggie's beauty an asset or a liability for her? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)