|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two physical characteristics make Pete seem formidable?
2. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
3. Where does Chapter 4 say Jimmie stands to watch the world go by?
4. In the opening scene of Chapter 1, what are the boys throwing at each other?
5. Which group of boys is winning the street fight before it is broken up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
2. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
3. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
4. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
5. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
6. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
7. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
8. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
9. Why do Jimmie and Blue Billie fight in Chapter 1?
10. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the saloon in Chapter 11 a metaphor for Pete's life? Discuss both internal and external characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Pete's reappearance in Jimmie's life so dramatically impact Maggie's satisfaction with her own life? List and describe at least four areas of life that become increasingly unsatisfactory to Maggie as her relationship with Pete develops. What steps does Maggie take to improve these areas of her life? What does this say about her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss each of the following actions in terms of their reflection on Pete's character and their impact on his relationship with Maggie:
A) Pete's rudeness toward waiters and other staff.
B) Pete's disinterest in all of the things that entertain Maggie.
C) Pete's constant need to impress Maggie with new things.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)