|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
2. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie in the summer?
3. When Maggie sees that Jimmie has been fighting, what does she warn him that Mudder will do?
4. Where is Maggie while Pete and Jimmie exchange tales of valor in Chapter 5?
5. When they attend the show in Chapter 7, where do Pete and Maggie sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
2. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
3. What is Maggie's impression of Pete as she listens to his tales?
4. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
5. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
6. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
7. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
8. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
9. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
10. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the morality of Rum Alley based on each of the following scenarios:
A) Fader and Mudder disciplining violence with more violence.
B) The old woman trading her kindness for favors.
C) Jimmie fighting to protect the old woman's beer.
Essay Topic 2
Maggie emerges into young adulthood as the indisputable beauty of Rum Alley. The "philosophers" of Rum Alley debate how Maggie underwent such a dramatic physical transformation. They also discuss her beauty in terms of its potential consequences. Is Maggie's beauty an asset or a liability for her? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
After a particularly combative day, Mudder and Jimmie have a brawl in the apartment in Chapter 9. At the end of this fight, Pete arrives to take Maggie out for the evening. There is a moment of decision as Maggie surveys the chaos and listens to Mudder's curses. Finally, Maggie decides to leave with Pete. Evaluate this decision based on at least two of the following factors:
A) The significance of the decision.
B) The ways Pete, Mudder, and Jimmie affect the decision.
C) The motives behind the decision.
D) The effects of the decision.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)