|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
2. What three characters figure prominently in every play that Maggie and Pete go to see?
3. Who does Jimmie storm at, denounce, and compare to pestering flies in Chapter 4?
4. What heroic figure is Pete likened to in Chapter 6?
5. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
2. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
3. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
4. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
5. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
6. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
7. Why do Jimmie and Blue Billie fight in Chapter 1?
8. Describe the old woman who lives near Jimmie and Maggie.
9. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
10. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss each of the following actions in terms of their reflection on Pete's character and their impact on his relationship with Maggie:
A) Pete's rudeness toward waiters and other staff.
B) Pete's disinterest in all of the things that entertain Maggie.
C) Pete's constant need to impress Maggie with new things.
Essay Topic 2
Maggie emerges into young adulthood as the indisputable beauty of Rum Alley. The "philosophers" of Rum Alley debate how Maggie underwent such a dramatic physical transformation. They also discuss her beauty in terms of its potential consequences. Is Maggie's beauty an asset or a liability for her? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Both police and firefighters are in positions of authority, but Jimmie has very different emotions and reactions toward these two groups. Compare and contrast Jimmie's hostility towards police and his admiration for fire engines.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)