|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the bartender at the saloon from which Mudder is removed?
2. As young men start to notice Maggie, what does Jimmie tell her she should do?
3. What color socks does the foreign owner of the cuff and collar factory wear?
4. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
5. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
2. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
3. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
4. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
6. What is Maggie's reaction to the show? Give specific examples of her behavior.
7. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
8. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
9. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
10. How is Jimmie's turn as "head of the family" similar to the reign of Fader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maggie emerges into young adulthood as the indisputable beauty of Rum Alley. The "philosophers" of Rum Alley debate how Maggie underwent such a dramatic physical transformation. They also discuss her beauty in terms of its potential consequences. Is Maggie's beauty an asset or a liability for her? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the concept of hypocrisy. Where do you see hypocrisy at work in the story? Identify and explain at least two examples of hypocrisy in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plays Pete and Maggie go to see as metaphors for Maggie's life. Identify the three main characters in these plays and explain how each serves as a metaphor for people in Maggie's life.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)