|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
2. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie in the summer?
3. What heroic figure is Pete likened to in Chapter 6?
4. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
5. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
2. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
3. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
4. How does Mudder's behavior on Friday foreshadow the coming path of Maggie's life?
5. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
6. How does Mudder express her anger with Jimmie's fighting?
7. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
8. Why are Maggie's spirits so lifted by the plays she and Pete attend?
9. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
10. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plays Pete and Maggie go to see as metaphors for Maggie's life. Identify the three main characters in these plays and explain how each serves as a metaphor for people in Maggie's life.
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the concept of hypocrisy. Where do you see hypocrisy at work in the story? Identify and explain at least two examples of hypocrisy in the text.
Essay Topic 3
After a particularly combative day, Mudder and Jimmie have a brawl in the apartment in Chapter 9. At the end of this fight, Pete arrives to take Maggie out for the evening. There is a moment of decision as Maggie surveys the chaos and listens to Mudder's curses. Finally, Maggie decides to leave with Pete. Evaluate this decision based on at least two of the following factors:
A) The significance of the decision.
B) The ways Pete, Mudder, and Jimmie affect the decision.
C) The motives behind the decision.
D) The effects of the decision.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)