|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the brutal fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, how long do Jimmie and Maggie huddle in the corner of the apartment?
2. What two physical characteristics make Pete seem formidable?
3. While out with Maggie, where does Pete see a little monkey to which he takes a liking?
4. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
5. What is Mudder's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
2. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
3. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
4. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
5. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
6. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
7. How does Mudder's behavior on Friday foreshadow the coming path of Maggie's life?
8. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
9. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
10. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Pete's reappearance in Jimmie's life so dramatically impact Maggie's satisfaction with her own life? List and describe at least four areas of life that become increasingly unsatisfactory to Maggie as her relationship with Pete develops. What steps does Maggie take to improve these areas of her life? What does this say about her?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the concept of poetic justice. Find an example of poetic justice from the text and elaborate on it, pointing out exactly what happens and why it qualifies as poetic justice.
Essay Topic 3
In the early chapters of the book, we see the disciplinary styles of both Mudder and Fader. How do we see these things reemerge in the adult lives of Jimmie and Maggie? Cite at least four specific examples from the text.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)