|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
2. As young men start to notice Maggie, what does Jimmie tell her she should do?
3. Where is Maggie while Pete and Jimmie exchange tales of valor in Chapter 5?
4. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
5. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
2. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
3. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
4. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
5. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
6. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
7. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
8. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
9. Why do Jimmie and Blue Billie fight in Chapter 1?
10. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both police and firefighters are in positions of authority, but Jimmie has very different emotions and reactions toward these two groups. Compare and contrast Jimmie's hostility towards police and his admiration for fire engines.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plays Pete and Maggie go to see as metaphors for Maggie's life. Identify the three main characters in these plays and explain how each serves as a metaphor for people in Maggie's life.
Essay Topic 3
After a particularly combative day, Mudder and Jimmie have a brawl in the apartment in Chapter 9. At the end of this fight, Pete arrives to take Maggie out for the evening. There is a moment of decision as Maggie surveys the chaos and listens to Mudder's curses. Finally, Maggie decides to leave with Pete. Evaluate this decision based on at least two of the following factors:
A) The significance of the decision.
B) The ways Pete, Mudder, and Jimmie affect the decision.
C) The motives behind the decision.
D) The effects of the decision.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)