|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who steals the pail from Jimmie as he carries it back to the old woman?
2. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
3. What heroic figure is Pete likened to in Chapter 6?
4. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
5. During the scuffle in the hallway, who opens the door to the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
2. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
3. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
4. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
5. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
6. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
7. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
8. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
9. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
10. When the author uses the phrase "a young man of leather" to describe Jimmie, what does he mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the concept of poetic justice. Find an example of poetic justice from the text and elaborate on it, pointing out exactly what happens and why it qualifies as poetic justice.
Essay Topic 2
Maggie is ultimately responsible for her decisions and the path of her life, but several other characters play a role in Maggie's development. Identify at least three characters that have an impact on Maggie's life and analyze their level of responsibility for Maggie's tragic end.
Essay Topic 3
After a particularly combative day, Mudder and Jimmie have a brawl in the apartment in Chapter 9. At the end of this fight, Pete arrives to take Maggie out for the evening. There is a moment of decision as Maggie surveys the chaos and listens to Mudder's curses. Finally, Maggie decides to leave with Pete. Evaluate this decision based on at least two of the following factors:
A) The significance of the decision.
B) The ways Pete, Mudder, and Jimmie affect the decision.
C) The motives behind the decision.
D) The effects of the decision.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)