|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie in the summer?
2. Who steals the pail from Jimmie as he carries it back to the old woman?
3. When Pete reappears in the story, where does he promise to take Jimmie?
4. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
5. Which boy does Jimmie fight with over his performance in the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
2. How is Jimmie's turn as "head of the family" similar to the reign of Fader?
3. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
4. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
5. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
6. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
7. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
8. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
9. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
10. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Our perceptions of people and things are often dictated by our social class and cultural norms. As Maggie travels through the various districts mentioned in Chapter 17, we see a variety of different perceptions. Trace Maggie's path through the city and comment on the attitudes and perceptions she experiences. Identify at least three distinct social classes or districts.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Pete's reappearance in Jimmie's life so dramatically impact Maggie's satisfaction with her own life? List and describe at least four areas of life that become increasingly unsatisfactory to Maggie as her relationship with Pete develops. What steps does Maggie take to improve these areas of her life? What does this say about her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plays Pete and Maggie go to see as metaphors for Maggie's life. Identify the three main characters in these plays and explain how each serves as a metaphor for people in Maggie's life.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)