|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie believe fine clothing represents?
2. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
3. What is Mudder's real name?
4. What is Mudder doing when Jimmie, Maggie, and Fader arrive home?
5. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
2. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
3. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
4. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
5. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
6. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
7. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
8. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
9. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
10. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book opens with a fight scene. How does this fact foreshadow the path of the entire book? Discuss at least three specific fight scenes from the book, concentrating on motives and outcomes.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss each of the following actions in terms of their reflection on Pete's character and their impact on his relationship with Maggie:
A) Pete's rudeness toward waiters and other staff.
B) Pete's disinterest in all of the things that entertain Maggie.
C) Pete's constant need to impress Maggie with new things.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the morality of Rum Alley based on each of the following scenarios:
A) Fader and Mudder disciplining violence with more violence.
B) The old woman trading her kindness for favors.
C) Jimmie fighting to protect the old woman's beer.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)