|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which boy ends up a bloody mess at the conclusion of the street fight?
2. What does Pete say about Maggie's shape at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. Who is the bartender at the saloon from which Mudder is removed?
4. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
5. How does the air in the collar and cuff factory make Maggie feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the author uses the phrase "a young man of leather" to describe Jimmie, what does he mean?
2. Why do Jimmie and Blue Billie fight in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
4. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
5. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
6. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
7. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
8. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
9. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
10. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maggie emerges into young adulthood as the indisputable beauty of Rum Alley. The "philosophers" of Rum Alley debate how Maggie underwent such a dramatic physical transformation. They also discuss her beauty in terms of its potential consequences. Is Maggie's beauty an asset or a liability for her? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the concept of hypocrisy. Where do you see hypocrisy at work in the story? Identify and explain at least two examples of hypocrisy in the text.
Essay Topic 3
How is the saloon in Chapter 11 a metaphor for Pete's life? Discuss both internal and external characteristics.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)