|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
2. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
3. What does Pete say about Maggie's shape at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
5. In addition to dancing, what is the girl who starts the show in Chapter 7 doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
2. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
3. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
4. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
5. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
6. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
7. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
8. Why are Maggie's spirits so lifted by the plays she and Pete attend?
9. What is Maggie's impression of Pete as she listens to his tales?
10. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the saloon in Chapter 11 a metaphor for Pete's life? Discuss both internal and external characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the morality of Rum Alley based on each of the following scenarios:
A) Fader and Mudder disciplining violence with more violence.
B) The old woman trading her kindness for favors.
C) Jimmie fighting to protect the old woman's beer.
Essay Topic 3
Maggie emerges into young adulthood as the indisputable beauty of Rum Alley. The "philosophers" of Rum Alley debate how Maggie underwent such a dramatic physical transformation. They also discuss her beauty in terms of its potential consequences. Is Maggie's beauty an asset or a liability for her? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)