|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
(a) He is very drunk.
(b) He is mildly drunk.
(c) He is sober.
(d) He is grieving.
2. What material is used for the saloon doors?
3. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
(a) A stout, well-dressed gentleman.
(b) A working man with a load of firewood.
(c) A woman in stylish clothes.
(d) A small boy selling newspapers.
5. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
(a) Break his nose.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Fight with him.
(d) Report him to the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
2. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
3. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
4. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
5. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
2. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
3. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
4. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
5. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
6. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
7. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
8. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
9. Why does the old woman stop Jimmie to report what she witnessed in the hallway?
10. What does Jimmie do when the policeman arrives to break up the saloon fight?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)