|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(b) To the saloon.
(c) To look for Pete.
2. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(c) The spectators.
(d) A policeman.
3. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Freddie's house.
(b) The old woman's apartment.
(c) Pete's house.
(d) The hallway on the second floor.
4. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
(a) They mock him.
(b) They leave.
(c) They continue to order drinks.
(d) They fall asleep, too.
5. Who does Jimmie meet on the street when he leaves the apartment?
(a) A policeman.
(d) A friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
2. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
3. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
4. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
5. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
2. How might Maggie's story be different if the stout gentleman she encounters in the suburbs stops to help her?
3. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
4. How does Pete rationalize his lack of guilt in the situation with Maggie?
5. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
6. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
7. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
8. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
9. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
10. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)