|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
(b) Drinking beer.
(d) Taking a walk.
2. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
(a) Break his nose.
(b) Report him to the police.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Fight with him.
3. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To the devil.
(b) To the saloon.
(c) To Pete's house.
(d) To the show.
4. Who else is drinking at the bar during the verbal exchange between Jimmie, his companion, and Pete?
(a) An old man.
(b) A quiet stranger.
(d) An old woman.
5. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
(c) The museum.
(d) The theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
2. How many daughters does the bespectacled, mocking police justice say that Mudder has a record of ruining?
3. What is the name of the next door neighbor who Mudder says she warned Maggie about?
4. How many customers are in the saloon while Pete polishes the beer glass?
5. When she thinks about Maggie begging to come home at some future date, what does Mudder do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jimmie do when the policeman arrives to break up the saloon fight?
2. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
3. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
4. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
5. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
6. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
7. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
8. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
9. How does Pete rationalize his lack of guilt in the situation with Maggie?
10. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)