|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
(c) The museum.
(d) The theater.
2. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Between Pete and Nellie.
(b) Behind Nellie.
(c) Between Pete and Freddie.
(d) Between Nellie and Freddie.
3. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) His beer glass.
(b) Two or three bills.
(c) A used cocktail napkin.
(d) A handful of coins.
4. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
5. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Come inside the saloon.
(b) Come back in a few hours.
(c) Meet him on Friday night.
(d) Go away and stay away.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
2. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
3. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
4. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
5. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nellie's attitude toward Pete in Chapter 18 reflect a sort of poetic justice?
2. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
3. Based on the insights given in Chapter 12, how does Maggie feel about Pete? How does Pete feel about Maggie?
4. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
5. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
6. How might Maggie's story be different if the stout gentleman she encounters in the suburbs stops to help her?
7. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
8. How do attitudes change toward the "painted" girl as she moves through the various districts of the city?
9. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
10. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)