|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maggie feel when Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) Dazed and astounded.
(b) Anxious and worried.
(c) Relieved and relaxed.
(d) Angry and hurt.
2. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Between Pete and Freddie.
(b) Between Pete and Nellie.
(c) Between Nellie and Freddie.
(d) Behind Nellie.
3. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
4. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
(a) Several days.
(b) Several years.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
2. To whom in the crowd does the "painted" girl throw her glances?
3. What material is used for the saloon doors?
4. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
5. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the insights given in Chapter 12, how does Maggie feel about Pete? How does Pete feel about Maggie?
2. As the fight between Jimmie and his companion and Pete progresses, a beer glass is thrown. What happens next?
3. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
4. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
5. How does Pete rationalize his lack of guilt in the situation with Maggie?
6. What does Jimmie do when the policeman arrives to break up the saloon fight?
7. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
8. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
9. How does Nellie's attitude toward Pete in Chapter 18 reflect a sort of poetic justice?
10. Why does the old woman stop Jimmie to report what she witnessed in the hallway?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)