|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
2. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
(a) Turns his back on her.
(b) Hits her.
(c) Pulls away from her.
(d) Runs to her.
3. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
(a) They leave.
(b) They mock him.
(c) They continue to order drinks.
(d) They fall asleep, too.
4. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) Several hours.
(b) A month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A number of days.
5. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
(a) A beer glass.
(b) A lemon.
(c) A tin pail.
(d) A chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
2. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
3. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
4. How do the men staring at Maggie make her feel?
5. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Maggie's story be different if the stout gentleman she encounters in the suburbs stops to help her?
2. How does Pete rationalize his lack of guilt in the situation with Maggie?
3. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
4. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
5. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
6. Why does the "painted" girl direct her glances toward the rural, less educated men?
7. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
8. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
9. As the fight between Jimmie and his companion and Pete progresses, a beer glass is thrown. What happens next?
10. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)