|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
(a) With suspicion and jealousy.
(b) With anger and remorse.
(c) With fear and respect.
(d) With wonder and reliance.
2. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
3. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
(b) A dozen.
(c) A half dozen.
4. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Through the side door.
(b) Just inside the saloon.
(c) Through the windows.
(d) Under the saloon doors.
5. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Meet him on Friday night.
(b) Come back in a few hours.
(c) Go away and stay away.
(d) Come inside the saloon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
2. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
3. How do the men staring at Maggie make her feel?
4. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
5. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
2. Why does the "painted" girl direct her glances toward the rural, less educated men?
3. As the fight between Jimmie and his companion and Pete progresses, a beer glass is thrown. What happens next?
4. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
5. How does Pete rationalize his lack of guilt in the situation with Maggie?
6. How might Maggie's story be different if the stout gentleman she encounters in the suburbs stops to help her?
7. How do attitudes change toward the "painted" girl as she moves through the various districts of the city?
8. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
9. How does Nellie's attitude toward Pete in Chapter 18 reflect a sort of poetic justice?
10. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)