|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The women and children of Rum Alley.
(b) The men of Rum Alley.
(c) The police.
(d) The old woman.
2. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
(b) The saloon owner.
(d) Jimmie's companion.
3. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) Under a table.
(b) In the park.
(c) At the apartment.
(d) In a dark corner.
4. When Jimmie passes the group of women in the dark hallway, about whom are they talking?
(c) The old woman.
5. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
(a) The broom and dustpan.
(b) Maggie's jacket and hat.
(c) The frying pan and spatula.
(d) Mudders scarf and coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
2. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
3. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
4. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
5. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
2. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
3. How do attitudes change toward the "painted" girl as she moves through the various districts of the city?
4. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
5. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
6. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
7. Based on the insights given in Chapter 12, how does Maggie feel about Pete? How does Pete feel about Maggie?
8. Why does the "painted" girl direct her glances toward the rural, less educated men?
9. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
10. How does Nellie's attitude toward Pete in Chapter 18 reflect a sort of poetic justice?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)