|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
2. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
(a) An old fat man.
(b) A young man in a light overcoat and derby hat.
(c) A boy with blond curls.
(d) A laboring man.
3. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Between Pete and Nellie.
(b) Between Pete and Freddie.
(c) Between Nellie and Freddie.
(d) Behind Nellie.
4. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
(a) To a show.
(b) To Jimmie's.
(c) To Pete's saloon.
(d) To Billie's.
5. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
(a) The theater.
(c) The museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
2. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
3. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
4. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
5. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
2. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
3. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
4. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
5. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
6. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
7. Why does the old woman stop Jimmie to report what she witnessed in the hallway?
8. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
9. How do Jimmie and his companion get Pete's attention after they sit down at the bar?
10. Describe the decor of the saloon where Pete works as a bartender.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)