|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Mudder and Fader.
(b) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
(c) Mudder and the old woman.
(d) Jimmie and Mudder.
2. How does Maggie feel when Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) Anxious and worried.
(b) Angry and hurt.
(c) Dazed and astounded.
(d) Relieved and relaxed.
3. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
(a) To Pete's saloon.
(b) To Billie's.
(c) To Jimmie's.
(d) To a show.
4. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
5. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(a) To look for Pete.
(c) To the saloon.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
2. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
3. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
4. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
5. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
2. As the fight between Jimmie and his companion and Pete progresses, a beer glass is thrown. What happens next?
3. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
4. How does Pete rationalize his lack of guilt in the situation with Maggie?
5. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
6. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
7. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
8. Why does the old woman stop Jimmie to report what she witnessed in the hallway?
9. How do Jimmie and his companion get Pete's attention after they sit down at the bar?
10. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)