|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Maggie asks "Who?" as she wanders, who tries to answer her question?
(b) A man passing by.
(c) A beggar woman.
(d) A well-dressed gentleman.
2. How many daughters does the bespectacled, mocking police justice say that Mudder has a record of ruining?
3. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
(a) He is grieving.
(b) He is mildly drunk.
(c) He is very drunk.
(d) He is sober.
4. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
5. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
(a) Fight with him.
(b) Break his nose.
(c) Report him to the police.
(d) Kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
2. How does Pete treat Maggie as they watch the beginning of the show?
3. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
4. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
5. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
2. Why does the "painted" girl direct her glances toward the rural, less educated men?
3. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
4. How do attitudes change toward the "painted" girl as she moves through the various districts of the city?
5. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
6. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
7. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
8. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
9. Based on the insights given in Chapter 12, how does Maggie feel about Pete? How does Pete feel about Maggie?
10. How do Jimmie and his companion get Pete's attention after they sit down at the bar?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)