|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) Mudder has died.
(b) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
(c) Maggie has returned.
(d) The old woman has fallen.
2. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
(a) An old fat man.
(b) A young man in a light overcoat and derby hat.
(c) A laboring man.
(d) A boy with blond curls.
3. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
(a) Runs to her.
(b) Pulls away from her.
(c) Turns his back on her.
(d) Hits her.
4. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
5. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Behind Nellie.
(b) Between Pete and Freddie.
(c) Between Nellie and Freddie.
(d) Between Pete and Nellie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
2. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
3. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
4. How does Pete treat Maggie as they watch the beginning of the show?
5. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mudder raving when Jimmie finally comes home after his saloon fight?
2. Why does the old woman stop Jimmie to report what she witnessed in the hallway?
3. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
4. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
5. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
6. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
7. How do Jimmie and his companion get Pete's attention after they sit down at the bar?
8. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
9. How does Mudder treat Maggie when Maggie finally returns home? What is Maggie's reaction to Mudder's treatment?
10. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)