|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
(a) Drinking beer.
(c) Taking a walk.
2. How many daughters does the bespectacled, mocking police justice say that Mudder has a record of ruining?
3. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) A number of days.
(b) A month.
(c) Several hours.
(d) Two weeks.
4. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Mudder and the old woman.
(b) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
(c) Mudder and Fader.
(d) Jimmie and Mudder.
5. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) In a dark corner.
(b) Under a table.
(c) In the park.
(d) At the apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
2. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
3. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
4. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
5. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
2. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
3. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
4. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
5. Why does the "painted" girl direct her glances toward the rural, less educated men?
6. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
7. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
8. Based on the insights given in Chapter 12, how does Maggie feel about Pete? How does Pete feel about Maggie?
9. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
10. Why is Mudder raving when Jimmie finally comes home after his saloon fight?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)