|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
(a) Several days.
(b) Several years.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several weeks.
2. What drink do Jimmie and his companion order?
3. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(c) Talking to his boss.
4. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(b) The old woman.
(c) A policeman.
(d) Maggie and Pete.
5. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
(a) If she could live with him.
(b) If he would marry her.
(c) If he loved her.
(d) When she would see him again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
2. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
3. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
4. When she thinks about Maggie begging to come home at some future date, what does Mudder do?
5. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nellie's attitude toward Pete in Chapter 18 reflect a sort of poetic justice?
2. Based on the insights given in Chapter 12, how does Maggie feel about Pete? How does Pete feel about Maggie?
3. What are the true motives of the women surrounding Pete at the saloon in Chapter 18?
4. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
5. How do Jimmie and his companion get Pete's attention after they sit down at the bar?
6. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
7. Compare Pete's attitude toward Nellie to Maggie's attitude toward Pete.
8. Why is Mudder raving when Jimmie finally comes home after his saloon fight?
9. What are the women in the dark hallway saying as Jimmie passes them on his way out to find Pete?
10. Why does the old woman stop Jimmie to report what she witnessed in the hallway?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)