|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mudder often doing at home in Chapter 8?
(a) Sleeping off a hangover.
(b) Helping neighbors.
(c) Cleaning and cooking.
(d) Drinking and raving.
2. What heroic figure is Pete likened to in Chapter 6?
(a) A prince.
(b) A swordsman.
(c) A knight.
(d) A king.
3. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
(a) He accuses her of drinking.
(b) She accuses him of infidelity.
(c) She accuses him of drinking.
(d) He accuses her of not keeping the house clean.
4. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
(a) The crash of splintering furniture.
(b) The crash of breaking glass.
(c) Music from another apartment.
(d) Maggie's quiet sobbing.
5. What does Maggie compare Pete to in Chapter 8?
(a) The moon.
(b) A breath of fresh air.
(c) A golden sun.
(d) A summer day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
2. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
3. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
4. Who tries to warn the boys that Jimmie's father is approaching?
5. In addition to dancing, what is the girl who starts the show in Chapter 7 doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
2. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
3. When the author uses the phrase "a young man of leather" to describe Jimmie, what does he mean?
4. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
5. What is Maggie's reaction to the show? Give specific examples of her behavior.
6. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
7. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
8. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
9. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
10. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)