|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group of boys is winning the street fight before it is broken up?
(a) The Rum Alley boys.
(b) The Black Door boys.
(c) The Evil's Row boys.
(d) The Devil's Row boys.
2. What color socks does the foreign owner of the cuff and collar factory wear?
(c) Navy blue.
3. What two things set Pete apart from the Rum Alley tenement crowd?
(a) His age and occupation.
(b) His height and weight.
(c) His clothing and manners.
(d) His education and experience.
4. What does Mudder do all day Friday?
(a) Drink whiskey.
(b) Cook dinner.
(c) Beg on Fifth Avenue.
(d) Clean the apartment.
5. What is Jimmie carrying when he encounters his raging mother?
(a) A pail of beer and a sandwich.
(b) A newspaper and a pipe.
(c) A dinner pail and an apron.
(d) A load of firewood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
2. What is Mudder often doing at home in Chapter 8?
3. Who does Jimmie storm at, denounce, and compare to pestering flies in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 4, for what is the preacher's audience waiting?
5. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mudder's behavior on Friday foreshadow the coming path of Maggie's life?
2. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
3. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
4. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
5. How is Jimmie's turn as "head of the family" similar to the reign of Fader?
6. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
7. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
8. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
9. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
10. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)