|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jimmie and Mudder fight wildly in the apartment in Chapter 9, where is Maggie hiding?
(a) In the hallway.
(b) At the old woman's apartment.
(c) In the other room.
(d) In the shadows.
2. On what street does the old woman customarily beg for her living?
(a) High Street.
(b) Fourth Avenue.
(d) Fifth Avenue.
3. What is Mudder doing when Jimmie, Maggie, and Fader arrive home?
(c) Doing Laundry.
(d) Fixing furniture.
4. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
(a) His shoulder.
(b) His head.
(c) His left leg.
(d) His neck.
5. Which of the following expressions is used in Chapter 3 to describe the old woman?
(a) Gnarled and leathery.
(b) Large and boisterous.
(c) Small and bent.
(d) Slender and wiry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jimmie's youngest sibling?
2. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
3. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
4. After the brutal fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, how long do Jimmie and Maggie huddle in the corner of the apartment?
5. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
2. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
3. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
4. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
5. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
6. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
7. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
8. How does Mudder express her anger with Jimmie's fighting?
9. Why do Jimmie and Blue Billie fight in Chapter 1?
10. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)