|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
(a) A smart girl.
(b) A pretty girl.
(c) An ugly girl.
(d) A foolish girl.
2. During the scuffle in the hallway, who opens the door to the apartment?
3. In an attempt to impress Pete, what does Maggie fix up and hang over the stove?
(a) An ornate birdcage.
(b) A picture.
(c) A lambrequin.
(d) An old clock.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what are the group of urchins watching intently?
(a) A street fight.
(b) The front door of a theater.
(c) A policeman's horse.
(d) The side door of a saloon.
5. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
(a) He becomes ill.
(b) He runs off.
(c) He dies.
(d) He is in an accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
2. What does Mudder do to Jimmie in Chapter 2 that makes him scream in pain?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where do Jimmie and his father meet Maggie?
4. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
5. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
2. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
3. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
4. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
5. How does Mudder's behavior on Friday foreshadow the coming path of Maggie's life?
6. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
7. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
8. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
9. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
10. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)