|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As young men start to notice Maggie, what does Jimmie tell her she should do?
(a) Get a job.
(b) Hide in the house.
(c) Leave home.
(d) Go on dates.
2. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
(a) The Rum Alley boys and the Devil's Row boys.
(b) The Rum Alley boys and the Black Door boys.
(c) The Evil's Row boys and the Rum Alley boys.
(d) The Black Door boys and the Devil's Row boys.
3. Where is Maggie while Pete and Jimmie exchange tales of valor in Chapter 5?
(a) In another room.
(b) In the shadows.
(c) At work.
(d) Hanging laundry outside.
4. Who always triumphs at the end of the plays that Pete and Maggie attend?
(a) The king.
(b) The good child.
(c) The poor hero.
(d) The villain.
5. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following expressions is used in Chapter 3 to describe the old woman?
2. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie in the summer?
3. Who does Jimmie storm at, denounce, and compare to pestering flies in Chapter 4?
4. What two physical characteristics make Pete seem formidable?
5. While Jimmie listens outside the apartment door, what does Mudder threaten to do to Fader?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
2. How does Mudder's behavior on Friday foreshadow the coming path of Maggie's life?
3. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
4. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
5. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
6. What is Maggie's reaction to the show? Give specific examples of her behavior.
7. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
8. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
9. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
10. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)