|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who steals the pail from Jimmie as he carries it back to the old woman?
(b) Blue Billie.
2. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(b) Dark Blue.
3. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To saloons.
(b) To plays.
(c) To the park.
(d) To church.
4. What is Mudder famous for in Chapter 5?
(a) Making fine clothes.
(b) Singing on street corners.
(c) Wandering around the city.
(d) Going to court.
5. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the dress Maggie wears to go out with Pete on Friday night?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what are the group of urchins watching intently?
3. To keep money in his pocket, what does Jimmie become?
4. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
5. What is Jimmie standing on as he curses his opponents in the street fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
2. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
3. How does Mudder express her anger with Jimmie's fighting?
4. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
5. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
6. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
7. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
8. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
9. Briefly describe Mudder's appearance and demeanor when she is thrown out of the saloon.
10. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)