|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jimmie and Mudder fight wildly in the apartment in Chapter 9, where is Maggie hiding?
(a) At the old woman's apartment.
(b) In the other room.
(c) In the shadows.
(d) In the hallway.
2. Because of her thoughts of Pete, what does Chapter 8 say that Maggie grows to dislike?
(a) All of her dresses.
(b) Her neighborhood.
(c) Her looks.
(d) Her apartment.
3. Which boy ends up a bloody mess at the conclusion of the street fight?
(c) Blue Billie.
4. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
(a) She accuses him of drinking.
(b) He accuses her of drinking.
(c) She accuses him of infidelity.
(d) He accuses her of not keeping the house clean.
5. What is Jimmie standing on as he curses his opponents in the street fight?
(a) A heap of gravel.
(b) A pile of scrap lumber.
(c) An old apple crate.
(d) An overturned bucket.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
2. What time do Pete and Maggie arrive back at the apartment after the show?
3. Who tries to warn the boys that Jimmie's father is approaching?
4. What does Maggie compare Pete to in Chapter 8?
5. During the scuffle in the hallway, who opens the door to the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
2. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
3. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
4. How is Jimmie's turn as "head of the family" similar to the reign of Fader?
5. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
6. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
7. What is Maggie's impression of Pete as she listens to his tales?
8. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
9. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
10. Briefly describe Mudder's appearance and demeanor when she is thrown out of the saloon.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)