|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jimmie believe fine clothing represents?
2. What vehicle does Jimmie fear, respect, and love with "a distant dog-like devotion"?
(a) Fire engines.
(b) Fine trucks.
(d) Police wagons.
3. Who arrives at the apartment at the conclusion of the fight between Jimmie and Mudder?
(a) The old woman.
(b) The police.
(c) The neighbors.
4. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(b) Dark Blue.
5. As he drinks at the bar, to what does Fader liken his home?
(b) The zoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to warn the boys that Jimmie's father is approaching?
2. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
3. Who does Maggie wish she could talk to about Pete?
4. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What time do Pete and Maggie arrive back at the apartment after the show?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
2. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
3. Describe the old woman who lives near Jimmie and Maggie.
4. Why is Mudder raving when Jimmie finally comes home after his saloon fight?
5. How might Maggie's story be different if the stout gentleman she encounters in the suburbs stops to help her?
6. What is the state of the apartment when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 10?
7. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
8. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
9. Why does the "painted" girl direct her glances toward the rural, less educated men?
10. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)