|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
(a) To a movie.
(b) To the museum.
(c) To the show.
(d) To a dance.
2. What day does Maggie expect Pete to return?
3. What does Pete say about Maggie's shape at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) "It's outa sight."
(b) "It's fine, fine, fine."
(c) "It could use some work."
(d) "It's quite remarkable."
4. When Jimmie and Mudder fight wildly in the apartment in Chapter 9, where is Maggie hiding?
(a) At the old woman's apartment.
(b) In the other room.
(c) In the shadows.
(d) In the hallway.
5. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
(a) She accuses him of drinking.
(b) He accuses her of not keeping the house clean.
(c) She accuses him of infidelity.
(d) He accuses her of drinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
2. What act follows the dancing girl in the show that Maggie and Pete attend?
3. Which of the following expressions is used in Chapter 3 to describe the old woman?
4. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie in the summer?
5. When does Chapter 4 say that Jimmie first began to be arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
2. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
3. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
4. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
5. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
6. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
7. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
8. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
9. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
10. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)