|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
(a) He dies.
(b) He is in an accident.
(c) He becomes ill.
(d) He runs off.
2. What color is the dress Maggie wears to go out with Pete on Friday night?
(a) Dark blue.
(d) Pale pink.
3. When they attend the show in Chapter 7, where do Pete and Maggie sit?
(a) At a table in the middle of the room.
(b) At a table under the balcony.
(c) At a table beside the stage.
(d) At a table near the door.
4. When Mudder curses Maggie, what does she call her?
(a) A whore.
(b) A wayward child.
(c) A foolish girl.
(d) A disgrace.
5. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the descriptions found in Chapter 2, which one of the following words best describes Mudder?
2. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
3. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
4. As young men start to notice Maggie, what does Jimmie tell her she should do?
5. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Mudder's appearance and demeanor when she is thrown out of the saloon.
2. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
3. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
4. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
5. How does Mudder express her anger with Jimmie's fighting?
6. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
7. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
8. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
9. How is Jimmie's turn as "head of the family" similar to the reign of Fader?
10. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)