|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Chapter 4 say that Jimmie first began to be arrested?
(a) When he reached adulthood.
(b) When he was a young man.
(c) When he was a little boy.
(d) When he was a teenager.
2. While Jimmie listens outside the apartment door, what does Mudder threaten to do to Fader?
(a) Break his neck.
(b) Run him off.
(c) Slap him.
(d) Break his jaw.
3. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
(a) His left leg.
(b) His shoulder.
(c) His head.
(d) His neck.
4. While out with Maggie, where does Pete see a little monkey to which he takes a liking?
(a) The pet store.
(b) Central Park Menagerie.
(c) A traveling circus.
(d) New York City Zoo.
5. What does Pete say about Maggie's shape at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) "It's outa sight."
(b) "It's quite remarkable."
(c) "It's fine, fine, fine."
(d) "It could use some work."
Short Answer Questions
1. As he argues with Fader in the doorway, with what does Jimmie get hit?
2. How old is the person who breaks up the street fight in Chapter 1?
3. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
4. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
5. What animal does Chapter 4 compare Jimmie with as he drives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maggie's reaction to the "painted" women she passes on her way out of the hall? Why does she react this way?
2. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
3. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
4. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
5. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
6. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
7. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
8. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
9. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
10. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)