|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things set Pete apart from the Rum Alley tenement crowd?
(a) His clothing and manners.
(b) His education and experience.
(c) His height and weight.
(d) His age and occupation.
2. When Jimmie and Mudder fight wildly in the apartment in Chapter 9, where is Maggie hiding?
(a) In the hallway.
(b) In the other room.
(c) At the old woman's apartment.
(d) In the shadows.
3. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
(a) The old man.
(c) The old woman.
4. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
(b) A newspaper.
5. How many different acts of the show are described in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color socks does the foreign owner of the cuff and collar factory wear?
2. When does Chapter 4 say that Jimmie first began to be arrested?
3. Why does Pete become more eloquent and elaborate in descriptions of his bravery and fighting skill?
4. Which of the following expressions is used in Chapter 3 to describe the old woman?
5. What heroic figure is Pete likened to in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
2. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
3. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
4. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
5. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
6. Why do Jimmie and Blue Billie fight in Chapter 1?
7. When the author uses the phrase "a young man of leather" to describe Jimmie, what does he mean?
8. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
9. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
10. How does Mudder express her anger with Jimmie's fighting?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)