|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jimmie believe fine clothing represents?
2. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
(a) He dies.
(b) He is in an accident.
(c) He becomes ill.
(d) He runs off.
3. Who is Mudder trying to start a fight with after she enters the tenement building?
(a) The old woman.
(b) Mary Murphy.
(c) Miss Smith.
(d) Maggie and Pete.
4. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
5. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
(a) The crash of splintering furniture.
(b) Maggie's quiet sobbing.
(c) The crash of breaking glass.
(d) Music from another apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jimmie's youngest sibling?
2. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
3. What does Maggie compare Pete to in Chapter 8?
4. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
5. How does Maggie feel as she leaves the plays that she attends with Pete?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
2. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
3. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
4. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
5. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
6. When the author uses the phrase "a young man of leather" to describe Jimmie, what does he mean?
7. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
8. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
9. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
10. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)