|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
(a) Maggie's quiet sobbing.
(b) The crash of splintering furniture.
(c) The crash of breaking glass.
(d) Music from another apartment.
2. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
(a) No one.
3. Why is Mudder kicked out of a saloon in Chapter 9?
(a) She caused a disturbance.
(b) She had too much to drink.
(c) She could not pay her bill.
(d) Women were not allowed in the saloon.
4. What act follows the dancing girl in the show that Maggie and Pete attend?
(a) A ventriloquist.
(b) Another dancer.
(c) A juggler.
(d) An opera singer.
5. In Chapter 4, for what is the preacher's audience waiting?
(a) A cab.
(b) The bus.
(c) The doctor.
(d) Soup tickets.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street does the old woman customarily beg for her living?
2. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
3. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. Where is Maggie while Pete and Jimmie exchange tales of valor in Chapter 5?
5. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
2. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
3. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
4. How do the neighbors react to the fight between Mudder and Fader?
5. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
6. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
7. What is Maggie's impression of Pete as she listens to his tales?
8. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
9. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
10. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)