|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What act follows the dancing girl in the show that Maggie and Pete attend?
(a) Another dancer.
(b) A ventriloquist.
(c) An opera singer.
(d) A juggler.
2. Of what class of people are most of those attending the show with Pete and Maggie?
(a) The lower class.
(b) The working class.
(c) The aristocracy.
(d) The upper class.
3. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
(c) A newspaper.
4. When the dancing girl first appears in the show, what is she wearing?
(a) A black leotard.
(b) A pink dress with short skirts.
(c) A long, slinky red dress.
(d) A long, full yellow dress.
5. What vehicle does Jimmie fear, respect, and love with "a distant dog-like devotion"?
(a) Police wagons.
(c) Fire engines.
(d) Fine trucks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, for what is the preacher's audience waiting?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what are the group of urchins watching intently?
3. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
4. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
5. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
2. Describe the setting of the opening scene of Chapter 1.
3. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
4. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
5. Briefly describe Mudder's appearance and demeanor when she is thrown out of the saloon.
6. When the author uses the phrase "a young man of leather" to describe Jimmie, what does he mean?
7. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
8. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
9. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
10. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)