|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) The urchin boys.
(b) A policeman.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A group of men on a street corner.
2. As he argues with Fader in the doorway, with what does Jimmie get hit?
(a) An empty pail.
(b) A piece of wood.
(c) A rock.
(d) An empty bottle.
3. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
(d) A newspaper.
4. How does the air in the collar and cuff factory make Maggie feel?
5. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(c) Dark Blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three characters figure prominently in every play that Maggie and Pete go to see?
2. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where do Jimmie and his father meet Maggie?
4. When they attend the show in Chapter 7, where do Pete and Maggie sit?
5. While Jimmie listens outside the apartment door, what does Mudder threaten to do to Fader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
2. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
3. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
4. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
5. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
6. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
7. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
8. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
9. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
10. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)