|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Chapter 4 say that Jimmie first began to be arrested?
(a) When he reached adulthood.
(b) When he was a little boy.
(c) When he was a young man.
(d) When he was a teenager.
2. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
(a) She screams.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She goes with Jimmie willingly.
(d) She hits Jimmie.
3. Where does Jimmie walk on the way to the apartment after the street brawl of Chapter 1?
(a) In front of his father.
(b) On his father's right side.
(c) Behind his father.
(d) On his father's left side.
4. What does Maggie compare Pete to in Chapter 8?
(a) A summer day.
(b) A breath of fresh air.
(c) The moon.
(d) A golden sun.
5. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) The urchin boys.
(b) A policeman.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A group of men on a street corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
2. Who breaks up the street fight between the two groups of boys?
3. In an attempt to impress Pete, what does Maggie fix up and hang over the stove?
4. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
5. Which of the following expressions is used in Chapter 3 to describe the old woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
2. How does Mudder's behavior on Friday foreshadow the coming path of Maggie's life?
3. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
4. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
5. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
6. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
7. How is Jimmie's turn as "head of the family" similar to the reign of Fader?
8. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
9. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
10. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)