|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
(a) A newspaper.
2. Where does Chapter 4 say Jimmie stands to watch the world go by?
(a) In the alleys.
(b) On street corners.
(c) At the apartment window.
(d) Behind a bar.
3. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
(a) To the show.
(b) To a movie.
(c) To the museum.
(d) To a dance.
4. When does Chapter 4 say that Jimmie first began to be arrested?
(a) When he was a young man.
(b) When he was a teenager.
(c) When he was a little boy.
(d) When he reached adulthood.
5. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
Short Answer Questions
1. As he drinks at the bar, to what does Fader liken his home?
2. Why does Pete become more eloquent and elaborate in descriptions of his bravery and fighting skill?
3. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
4. What does Jimmie's companion say he would ask for if he should ever meet God?
5. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the old woman who lives near Jimmie and Maggie.
2. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
3. When the author uses the phrase "a young man of leather" to describe Jimmie, what does he mean?
4. What is Maggie's reaction to the show? Give specific examples of her behavior.
5. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
6. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
7. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
8. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
9. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
10. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)