|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mudder curses Maggie, what does she call her?
(a) A whore.
(b) A wayward child.
(c) A disgrace.
(d) A foolish girl.
2. What is Mudder doing when Jimmie, Maggie, and Fader arrive home?
(b) Fixing furniture.
(c) Doing Laundry.
3. Which boy does Jimmie fight with over his performance in the fight?
(c) Blue Billie.
4. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
(a) Music from another apartment.
(b) The crash of splintering furniture.
(c) Maggie's quiet sobbing.
(d) The crash of breaking glass.
5. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
(a) The Rum Alley boys and the Devil's Row boys.
(b) The Black Door boys and the Devil's Row boys.
(c) The Evil's Row boys and the Rum Alley boys.
(d) The Rum Alley boys and the Black Door boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
2. Who is the new head of the Johnson family?
3. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
4. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
5. During the scuffle in the hallway, who opens the door to the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maggie's impression of Pete as she listens to his tales?
2. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
3. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
4. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
5. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
6. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
7. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
8. How is Jimmie's turn as "head of the family" similar to the reign of Fader?
9. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
10. What is Maggie's reaction to the show? Give specific examples of her behavior.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)