|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jimmie happens upon his furiously screaming mother, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Stop shouting.
(b) Come home.
(c) Go back to the saloon.
(d) Take a nap.
2. Of what class of people are most of those attending the show with Pete and Maggie?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) The lower class.
(c) The working class.
(d) The upper class.
3. In the opening scene of Chapter 1, what are the boys throwing at each other?
4. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) She screams.
(c) She goes with Jimmie willingly.
(d) She hits Jimmie.
5. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
(a) An ugly girl.
(b) A pretty girl.
(c) A smart girl.
(d) A foolish girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jimmie carrying when he encounters his raging mother?
2. When the dancing girl first appears in the show, what is she wearing?
3. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
4. When Maggie sees that Jimmie has been fighting, what does she warn him that Mudder will do?
5. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
2. Why does Pete break up the fight between Jimmie and the Devil's Row boys, but encourages the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
3. How does Pete's nonchalance and indifference at the show make Maggie feel?
4. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
5. How does Pete rationalize his lack of guilt in the situation with Maggie?
6. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
7. What is ironic about Mudders condemnation of Maggie's evil ways?
8. Describe Pete's appearance as he sits in the apartment with Maggie and Jimmie in Chapter 5.
9. Based on the insights given in Chapter 12, how does Maggie feel about Pete? How does Pete feel about Maggie?
10. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)