|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mudder famous for in Chapter 5?
(a) Going to court.
(b) Making fine clothes.
(c) Singing on street corners.
(d) Wandering around the city.
2. Where does Jimmie walk on the way to the apartment after the street brawl of Chapter 1?
(a) In front of his father.
(b) On his father's right side.
(c) On his father's left side.
(d) Behind his father.
3. What color is the dress Maggie wears to go out with Pete on Friday night?
(c) Dark blue.
(d) Pale pink.
4. Which boy does Jimmie fight with over his performance in the fight?
(c) Blue Billie.
5. To keep money in his pocket, what does Jimmie become?
(a) A bartender.
(b) A truck driver.
(c) An undertaker.
(d) A policeman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
2. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
3. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
4. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
5. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
2. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
3. When Jimmie and Mudder say Maggie has "gone teh deh devil", what do they mean?
4. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
5. How does Nellie's attitude toward Pete in Chapter 18 reflect a sort of poetic justice?
6. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
7. How do attitudes change toward the "painted" girl as she moves through the various districts of the city?
8. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
9. Why does Maggie refuse Pete's request for a kiss? Explain your answer.
10. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)