|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The apartment burns down.
(b) Mudder becomes ill.
(c) Fader dies.
(d) Tommie dies.
2. When Maggie sees that Jimmie has been fighting, what does she warn him that Mudder will do?
(a) Kick him out of the house.
(b) Pound him.
(d) Call the police.
3. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
(a) Chase her down the street.
(b) Kick her shins.
(c) Smack her mouth.
(d) Tell his mother.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where do Jimmie and his father meet Maggie?
(a) On the street.
(b) At home.
(c) In the neighbor's apartment.
(d) At the store.
5. What is Mudder doing when Jimmie, Maggie, and Fader arrive home?
(b) Fixing furniture.
(d) Doing Laundry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mudder do to Jimmie in Chapter 2 that makes him scream in pain?
2. How does Maggie feel as she leaves the plays that she attends with Pete?
3. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
4. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
5. Who breaks up the street fight between the two groups of boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
2. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
3. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
4. Does Mudder enjoy her perceived win in the fight with Fader? Explain your answer.
5. Briefly describe Mudder's appearance and demeanor when she is thrown out of the saloon.
6. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
7. When Maggie comes out of the room after Jimmie's fight with Mudder, what does she see?
8. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
9. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
10. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)