|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
2. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) The urchin boys.
(b) A group of men on a street corner.
(c) A policeman.
(d) An old woman.
3. When the dancing girl first appears in the show, what is she wearing?
(a) A black leotard.
(b) A long, slinky red dress.
(c) A long, full yellow dress.
(d) A pink dress with short skirts.
4. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
(a) To a dance.
(b) To the museum.
(c) To the show.
(d) To a movie.
5. What color socks does the foreign owner of the cuff and collar factory wear?
(b) Navy blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. As young men start to notice Maggie, what does Jimmie tell her she should do?
2. Who steals the pail from Jimmie as he carries it back to the old woman?
3. What vehicle does Jimmie fear, respect, and love with "a distant dog-like devotion"?
4. What does Mudder do to Jimmie in Chapter 2 that makes him scream in pain?
5. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
2. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
3. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
4. What is Maggie's reaction to the show? Give specific examples of her behavior.
5. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
6. Why does Jimmie have such great respect for fire engines?
7. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
8. What is Jimmie's reaction when Fader tries to steal the old woman's beer?
9. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
10. Where does Pete take Maggie to amuse and impress her? Give at least two specific examples.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)