|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jimmie and Mudder fight wildly in the apartment in Chapter 9, where is Maggie hiding?
(a) In the other room.
(b) In the hallway.
(c) In the shadows.
(d) At the old woman's apartment.
2. What heroic figure is Pete likened to in Chapter 6?
(a) A swordsman.
(b) A king.
(c) A knight.
(d) A prince.
3. As young men start to notice Maggie, what does Jimmie tell her she should do?
(a) Hide in the house.
(b) Leave home.
(c) Go on dates.
(d) Get a job.
4. When Mudder curses Maggie, what does she call her?
(a) A wayward child.
(b) A foolish girl.
(c) A disgrace.
(d) A whore.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where do Jimmie and his father meet Maggie?
(a) At home.
(b) In the neighbor's apartment.
(c) On the street.
(d) At the store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Chapter 4 compare Jimmie with as he drives?
2. Who does Jimmie storm at, denounce, and compare to pestering flies in Chapter 4?
3. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
4. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. Who arrives at the apartment at the conclusion of the fight between Jimmie and Mudder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
2. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
3. Describe Maggie's treatment of Tommie as they walk home. What does Maggie's behavior tell us about her upbringing?
4. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
5. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
6. What is Maggie's impression of Pete as she listens to his tales?
7. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
8. How does Mudder's behavior on Friday foreshadow the coming path of Maggie's life?
9. In their main altercation in Chapter 2, what is Mudders accusation against Fader? What accusation is Fader's response?
10. How does Mudder express her anger with Jimmie's fighting?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)