|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jimmie's companion say he would ask for if he should ever meet God?
(a) A million dollars and a bottle of beer.
(b) A nice house and a million dollars.
(c) A job.
(d) Food, clothing, and shelter.
2. Where is Maggie while Pete and Jimmie exchange tales of valor in Chapter 5?
(a) Hanging laundry outside.
(b) At work.
(c) In another room.
(d) In the shadows.
3. What is Jimmie standing on as he curses his opponents in the street fight?
(a) A heap of gravel.
(b) An old apple crate.
(c) A pile of scrap lumber.
(d) An overturned bucket.
4. What color is the dress Maggie wears to go out with Pete on Friday night?
(c) Dark blue.
(d) Pale pink.
5. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
(a) The crash of splintering furniture.
(b) Maggie's quiet sobbing.
(c) Music from another apartment.
(d) The crash of breaking glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the dancing girl first appears in the show, what is she wearing?
2. Why is Mudder kicked out of a saloon in Chapter 9?
3. What does Mudder do all day Friday?
4. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
5. As young men start to notice Maggie, what does Jimmie tell her she should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in the way Fader breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie?
2. Describe the fear that begins to rise in Maggie's heart as she looks at the people around her.
3. What is Jimmie's attitude toward well-dressed men?
4. How does Mudder's behavior on Friday foreshadow the coming path of Maggie's life?
5. Why is Maggie suddenly dissatisfied with her clothes and her life?
6. How does Pete's reappearance in the story affect Maggie's view of her life and surroundings?
7. Why are Maggie's spirits so lifted by the plays she and Pete attend?
8. Why does Maggie think Pete might feel contempt as he sits in the apartment?
9. What is the significance of Maggie choosing to go out with Pete at the end of Chapter 9?
10. Describe Jimmie's attitude toward the police.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)