Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
(a) She goes with Jimmie willingly.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She screams.
(d) She hits Jimmie.
2. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie in the summer?
(a) To a concert.
(b) To a picnic.
(c) To a street fair.
(d) To the beach.
3. What animal does Chapter 4 compare Jimmie with as he drives?
(a) An African cow.
(b) A donkey.
(c) An Indonesian monkey.
(d) A snake.
4. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
5. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
(a) Screams at them.
(b) Kicks them.
(c) Punches them.
(d) Pours beer on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mudder doing when Jimmie, Maggie, and Fader arrive home?
2. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
3. When the dancing girl first appears in the show, what is she wearing?
4. Because of her thoughts of Pete, what does Chapter 8 say that Maggie grows to dislike?
5. Who tries to warn the boys that Jimmie's father is approaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the condition of the apartment when Maggie and Pete leave on Friday night? What is Mudder's condition?
2. Why are the "philosophers" of Rum Alley puzzled by Maggie's development?
3. What is the symbolism of Mudder focusing on the worsted boots and wanting to put them back on Maggie's dead feet?
4. What is Jimmie's attitude toward Mudder when he finds her yelling in the tenement hallway?
5. Describe the behavior of the audience during the first act of the show.
6. Compare the attitude of the Rum Alley tenement crowd toward Maggie with the attitude Maggie had toward the "painted" women in Chapter 12.
7. How does Nellie's attitude toward Pete in Chapter 18 reflect a sort of poetic justice?
8. Briefly describe Mudder's appearance and demeanor when she is thrown out of the saloon.
9. How does Nellie manipulate Pete to get him to leave with her?
10. Does Jimmie seem more afraid of his mother or his father? Explain your answer.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)