|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
2. When she thinks about Maggie begging to come home at some future date, what does Mudder do?
(a) Laugh gleefully.
(b) Weep mournfully.
(c) Wring her hands.
(d) Smile vindictively.
3. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
4. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
5. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) The old woman has fallen.
(b) Mudder has died.
(c) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
(d) Maggie has returned.
6. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
(a) Runs to her.
(b) Turns his back on her.
(c) Pulls away from her.
(d) Hits her.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
(a) A scarlet dress.
(b) A pink tutu.
(c) A purple dress.
(d) A black gown.
8. Who else is drinking at the bar during the verbal exchange between Jimmie, his companion, and Pete?
(b) An old man.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A quiet stranger.
9. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(a) The spectators.
(c) A policeman.
10. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
11. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
(a) A boy with blond curls.
(b) An old fat man.
(c) A laboring man.
(d) A young man in a light overcoat and derby hat.
12. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Behind Nellie.
(b) Between Nellie and Freddie.
(c) Between Pete and Nellie.
(d) Between Pete and Freddie.
13. Where does the "painted" girl end up in her wandering?
(b) Among rows of houses.
(c) Outside Pete's saloon.
(d) Near the river.
14. What drink do Jimmie and his companion order?
15. What is the name of the next door neighbor who Mudder says she warned Maggie about?
(a) Sadie MacMallister.
(b) Sally McCallister.
(c) Sandy MacDonald.
(d) Sheila McMasters.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
2. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
3. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
4. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
5. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)