|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
2. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) Several hours.
(b) A number of days.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
3. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
(a) Turns his back on her.
(b) Pulls away from her.
(c) Runs to her.
(d) Hits her.
4. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Pete's house.
(b) Freddie's house.
(c) The hallway on the second floor.
(d) The old woman's apartment.
5. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(a) To the saloon.
(b) To look for Pete.
6. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The old woman.
(b) The men of Rum Alley.
(c) The police.
(d) The women and children of Rum Alley.
7. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) Maggie has returned.
(b) The old woman has fallen.
(c) Mudder has died.
(d) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
8. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) Under a table.
(b) At the apartment.
(c) In the park.
(d) In a dark corner.
9. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Under the saloon doors.
(b) Through the side door.
(c) Through the windows.
(d) Just inside the saloon.
10. How does Pete treat Maggie as they watch the beginning of the show?
11. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
(c) The old woman.
12. How does Maggie feel when Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) Dazed and astounded.
(b) Angry and hurt.
(c) Anxious and worried.
(d) Relieved and relaxed.
13. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
(c) A dozen.
(d) A half dozen.
14. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) A policeman.
(b) Maggie and Pete.
(d) The old woman.
15. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(b) Talking to his boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
2. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
3. To whom in the crowd does the "painted" girl throw her glances?
4. Who does Jimmie meet on the street when he leaves the apartment?
5. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)