|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
(b) The saloon owner.
(d) Jimmie's companion.
2. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
(a) Several weeks.
(b) Several days.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several years.
3. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The old woman.
(b) The women and children of Rum Alley.
(c) The police.
(d) The men of Rum Alley.
4. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(a) The spectators.
(c) A policeman.
5. Who does Jimmie meet on the street when he leaves the apartment?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A friend.
6. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
7. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
8. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
(a) Hits her.
(b) Turns his back on her.
(c) Pulls away from her.
(d) Runs to her.
9. How do the men staring at Maggie make her feel?
10. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
(a) Panther, tiger, snake, and lion.
(b) Bull dog, rooster, lion, and snake.
(c) Lion, tiger, snake, and cat.
(d) Panther, rooster, bull dog, and cat.
11. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
12. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Mudder and the old woman.
(b) Jimmie and Mudder.
(c) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
(d) Mudder and Fader.
13. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) Mudder has died.
(b) Maggie has returned.
(c) The old woman has fallen.
(d) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
14. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
(a) The theater.
(c) The museum.
15. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many customers are in the saloon while Pete polishes the beer glass?
2. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
3. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
4. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
5. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)