|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drink do Jimmie and his companion order?
2. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
(c) A half dozen.
(d) A dozen.
3. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
4. To whom in the crowd does the "painted" girl throw her glances?
(a) The rural and untaught men.
(b) Older men who are alone.
(c) Single men in fine clothes.
(d) Working class men with their wives.
5. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Jimmie and Mudder.
(b) Mudder and the old woman.
(c) Mudder and Fader.
(d) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
6. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) A number of days.
(b) A month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Several hours.
7. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Under the saloon doors.
(b) Through the side door.
(c) Through the windows.
(d) Just inside the saloon.
8. Where does the "painted" girl end up in her wandering?
(a) Among rows of houses.
(c) Outside Pete's saloon.
(d) Near the river.
9. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
(b) Drinking beer.
(d) Taking a walk.
10. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(d) Talking to his boss.
11. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To the devil.
(b) To the show.
(c) To Pete's house.
(d) To the saloon.
12. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Behind Nellie.
(b) Between Nellie and Freddie.
(c) Between Pete and Nellie.
(d) Between Pete and Freddie.
13. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
(a) If she could live with him.
(b) If he would marry her.
(c) If he loved her.
(d) When she would see him again.
14. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The women and children of Rum Alley.
(b) The police.
(c) The old woman.
(d) The men of Rum Alley.
15. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) A handful of coins.
(b) A used cocktail napkin.
(c) His beer glass.
(d) Two or three bills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
2. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. When she thinks about Maggie begging to come home at some future date, what does Mudder do?
4. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)