|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
(a) Several weeks.
(b) Several months.
(c) Several days.
(d) Several years.
2. Who else is drinking at the bar during the verbal exchange between Jimmie, his companion, and Pete?
(b) A quiet stranger.
(c) An old man.
(d) An old woman.
3. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Through the windows.
(b) Under the saloon doors.
(c) Through the side door.
(d) Just inside the saloon.
4. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
(a) The old woman.
5. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
(a) Maggie's jacket and hat.
(b) The broom and dustpan.
(c) The frying pan and spatula.
(d) Mudders scarf and coat.
6. Who does Jimmie meet on the street when he leaves the apartment?
(b) A policeman.
(d) A friend.
7. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
8. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
(a) Shedding tears.
(b) Screaming at the neighbors.
(c) Laughing at fate.
(d) Drinking the days away.
9. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
(a) A lemon.
(b) A beer glass.
(c) A chair.
(d) A tin pail.
10. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
(a) With wonder and reliance.
(b) With fear and respect.
(c) With anger and remorse.
(d) With suspicion and jealousy.
11. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To Pete's house.
(b) To the devil.
(c) To the saloon.
(d) To the show.
12. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
(b) Drinking beer.
(d) Taking a walk.
13. Where does the "painted" girl end up in her wandering?
(a) Among rows of houses.
(b) Near the river.
(c) Outside Pete's saloon.
14. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two months.
(d) A year.
15. How long is Freddie silent after Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) An hour.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) Twenty minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
2. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
3. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
4. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
5. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)