|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The old woman.
(b) The men of Rum Alley.
(c) The women and children of Rum Alley.
(d) The police.
2. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
(c) The neighbors.
(d) The dirty apartment.
3. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
(a) A half dozen.
(b) A dozen.
4. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
(a) Maggie's jacket and hat.
(b) The broom and dustpan.
(c) The frying pan and spatula.
(d) Mudders scarf and coat.
5. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
(a) The theater.
(c) The museum.
6. What does the old woman say is Pete's response to Maggie's question?
(a) "Of course."
(b) "Oh, hell, yes."
(c) "We shall see."
(d) "Certainly not."
7. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Pete's house.
(b) Freddie's house.
(c) The old woman's apartment.
(d) The hallway on the second floor.
8. How long is Freddie silent after Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) An hour.
(c) Twenty minutes.
(d) Five minutes.
9. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Meet him on Friday night.
(b) Come back in a few hours.
(c) Come inside the saloon.
(d) Go away and stay away.
10. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) Mudder has died.
(b) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
(c) Maggie has returned.
(d) The old woman has fallen.
11. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
(a) Several months.
(b) Several days.
(c) Several years.
(d) Several weeks.
12. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
13. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(b) Talking to his boss.
14. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
15. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To the show.
(b) To Pete's house.
(c) To the saloon.
(d) To the devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
2. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
3. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
5. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)