|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
(c) The old woman.
2. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
(a) If she could live with him.
(b) When she would see him again.
(c) If he would marry her.
(d) If he loved her.
3. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Under the saloon doors.
(b) Just inside the saloon.
(c) Through the windows.
(d) Through the side door.
4. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Jimmie and Mudder.
(b) Mudder and Fader.
(c) Mudder and the old woman.
(d) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
5. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) A handful of coins.
(b) A used cocktail napkin.
(c) His beer glass.
(d) Two or three bills.
6. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
(a) Panther, tiger, snake, and lion.
(b) Panther, rooster, bull dog, and cat.
(c) Bull dog, rooster, lion, and snake.
(d) Lion, tiger, snake, and cat.
7. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
8. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
(a) It is dirty and smelly.
(b) It is beautiful and spotless.
(c) It has been completely trashed.
(d) It has been tidied up.
9. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
(a) The dirty apartment.
(b) The neighbors.
10. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
(a) A benefactor.
(b) A womanizer.
(c) A fool.
(d) An idiot.
11. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
(b) A half dozen.
(c) A dozen.
12. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
(a) The old woman.
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The priest.
13. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
14. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
(b) The theater.
(c) The museum.
15. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
(a) A tin pail.
(b) A beer glass.
(c) A lemon.
(d) A chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
2. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
3. How many daughters does the bespectacled, mocking police justice say that Mudder has a record of ruining?
4. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
5. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)