|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
2. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
(a) To Jimmie's.
(b) To Pete's saloon.
(c) To a show.
(d) To Billie's.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
(a) A black gown.
(b) A pink tutu.
(c) A scarlet dress.
(d) A purple dress.
4. What is the name of the next door neighbor who Mudder says she warned Maggie about?
(a) Sandy MacDonald.
(b) Sadie MacMallister.
(c) Sheila McMasters.
(d) Sally McCallister.
5. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
(a) Shedding tears.
(b) Drinking the days away.
(c) Laughing at fate.
(d) Screaming at the neighbors.
6. Where does the "painted" girl end up in her wandering?
(a) Outside Pete's saloon.
(b) Near the river.
(c) Among rows of houses.
7. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
(a) A small boy selling newspapers.
(b) A stout, well-dressed gentleman.
(c) A working man with a load of firewood.
(d) A woman in stylish clothes.
8. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
(a) An idiot.
(b) A benefactor.
(c) A fool.
(d) A womanizer.
9. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
10. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) The hallway on the second floor.
(b) Pete's house.
(c) The old woman's apartment.
(d) Freddie's house.
11. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
12. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(b) Talking to his boss.
13. What does the old woman say is Pete's response to Maggie's question?
(a) "Certainly not."
(b) "Oh, hell, yes."
(c) "Of course."
(d) "We shall see."
14. How many customers are in the saloon while Pete polishes the beer glass?
15. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(c) A policeman.
(d) The spectators.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jimmie passes the group of women in the dark hallway, about whom are they talking?
2. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
3. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
4. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
5. How many daughters does the bespectacled, mocking police justice say that Mudder has a record of ruining?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)