|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Behind Nellie.
(b) Between Nellie and Freddie.
(c) Between Pete and Nellie.
(d) Between Pete and Freddie.
2. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
(a) It is beautiful and spotless.
(b) It has been tidied up.
(c) It has been completely trashed.
(d) It is dirty and smelly.
3. How does Maggie feel when Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) Anxious and worried.
(b) Dazed and astounded.
(c) Angry and hurt.
(d) Relieved and relaxed.
4. When Maggie asks "Who?" as she wanders, who tries to answer her question?
(b) A man passing by.
(c) A well-dressed gentleman.
(d) A beggar woman.
5. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(a) The spectators.
(b) A policeman.
6. How do the men staring at Maggie make her feel?
7. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
8. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(b) Talking to his boss.
9. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Meet him on Friday night.
(b) Come back in a few hours.
(c) Come inside the saloon.
(d) Go away and stay away.
10. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
(a) The broom and dustpan.
(b) The frying pan and spatula.
(c) Maggie's jacket and hat.
(d) Mudders scarf and coat.
11. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
(a) They leave.
(b) They mock him.
(c) They continue to order drinks.
(d) They fall asleep, too.
12. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
(a) With anger and remorse.
(b) With wonder and reliance.
(c) With suspicion and jealousy.
(d) With fear and respect.
13. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
(a) The neighbors.
(b) The dirty apartment.
14. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To the saloon.
(b) To the show.
(c) To the devil.
(d) To Pete's house.
15. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
(a) To a show.
(b) To Pete's saloon.
(c) To Billie's.
(d) To Jimmie's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material is used for the saloon doors?
2. Who does Jimmie meet on the street when he leaves the apartment?
3. What is the name of the next door neighbor who Mudder says she warned Maggie about?
4. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
5. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)