|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
(a) A laboring man.
(b) An old fat man.
(c) A young man in a light overcoat and derby hat.
(d) A boy with blond curls.
2. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To the saloon.
(b) To Pete's house.
(c) To the show.
(d) To the devil.
3. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
(b) Blue Billie.
4. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Through the side door.
(b) Just inside the saloon.
(c) Under the saloon doors.
(d) Through the windows.
5. What does the old woman say is Pete's response to Maggie's question?
(a) "We shall see."
(b) "Oh, hell, yes."
(c) "Certainly not."
(d) "Of course."
6. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(a) A policeman.
(c) The spectators.
7. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
(a) To Pete's saloon.
(b) To Billie's.
(c) To a show.
(d) To Jimmie's.
8. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(b) Talking to his boss.
9. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
(a) Fight with him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Break his nose.
(d) Report him to the police.
10. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
(a) Runs to her.
(b) Pulls away from her.
(c) Turns his back on her.
(d) Hits her.
11. Where does the "painted" girl end up in her wandering?
(a) Outside Pete's saloon.
(b) Near the river.
(d) Among rows of houses.
12. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
(a) A dozen.
(c) A half dozen.
13. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
(a) Laughing at fate.
(b) Screaming at the neighbors.
(c) Drinking the days away.
(d) Shedding tears.
14. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) Maggie has returned.
(b) The old woman has fallen.
(c) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
(d) Mudder has died.
15. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(c) To the saloon.
(d) To look for Pete.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Freddie silent after Pete and Nellie leave?
2. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
3. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
4. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
5. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)