|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
2. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
(a) Laughing at fate.
(b) Screaming at the neighbors.
(c) Shedding tears.
(d) Drinking the days away.
3. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
(a) They continue to order drinks.
(b) They mock him.
(c) They leave.
(d) They fall asleep, too.
4. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) A month.
(b) A number of days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Several hours.
5. When she thinks about Maggie begging to come home at some future date, what does Mudder do?
(a) Laugh gleefully.
(b) Wring her hands.
(c) Smile vindictively.
(d) Weep mournfully.
6. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) The old woman.
(b) A policeman.
(d) Maggie and Pete.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
(a) A pink tutu.
(b) A scarlet dress.
(c) A purple dress.
(d) A black gown.
8. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
(a) The frying pan and spatula.
(b) Mudders scarf and coat.
(c) The broom and dustpan.
(d) Maggie's jacket and hat.
9. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
(a) Drinking beer.
(b) Taking a walk.
10. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
(a) A boy with blond curls.
(b) A young man in a light overcoat and derby hat.
(c) An old fat man.
(d) A laboring man.
11. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
(a) A womanizer.
(b) An idiot.
(c) A benefactor.
(d) A fool.
12. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
(a) The neighbors.
(c) The old woman.
(d) The priest.
13. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
14. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
(a) Several years.
(b) Several days.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Several months.
15. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) A handful of coins.
(b) His beer glass.
(c) A used cocktail napkin.
(d) Two or three bills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
2. When Jimmie passes the group of women in the dark hallway, about whom are they talking?
3. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
5. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)