|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(c) A policeman.
(d) The spectators.
2. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
(a) Mudders scarf and coat.
(b) Maggie's jacket and hat.
(c) The broom and dustpan.
(d) The frying pan and spatula.
3. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) At the apartment.
(b) In a dark corner.
(c) In the park.
(d) Under a table.
4. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
(a) Drinking the days away.
(b) Laughing at fate.
(c) Shedding tears.
(d) Screaming at the neighbors.
6. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
7. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
8. How do the men staring at Maggie make her feel?
9. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
(a) A dozen.
(c) A half dozen.
10. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
(a) An idiot.
(b) A benefactor.
(c) A womanizer.
(d) A fool.
11. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Between Pete and Freddie.
(b) Between Nellie and Freddie.
(c) Between Pete and Nellie.
(d) Behind Nellie.
12. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
13. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The men of Rum Alley.
(b) The women and children of Rum Alley.
(c) The old woman.
(d) The police.
14. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Jimmie and Mudder.
(b) Mudder and Fader.
(c) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
(d) Mudder and the old woman.
15. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) A used cocktail napkin.
(b) His beer glass.
(c) A handful of coins.
(d) Two or three bills.
Short Answer Questions
1. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
2. How long is Freddie silent after Pete and Nellie leave?
3. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
4. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
5. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)