|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
(a) To Jimmie's.
(b) To Billie's.
(c) To a show.
(d) To Pete's saloon.
2. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
(a) It has been tidied up.
(b) It has been completely trashed.
(c) It is dirty and smelly.
(d) It is beautiful and spotless.
3. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
(a) A laboring man.
(b) A boy with blond curls.
(c) A young man in a light overcoat and derby hat.
(d) An old fat man.
4. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
(a) The old woman.
5. When Jimmie passes the group of women in the dark hallway, about whom are they talking?
(b) The old woman.
6. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) At the apartment.
(b) Under a table.
(c) In a dark corner.
(d) In the park.
7. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
(a) When she would see him again.
(b) If she could live with him.
(c) If he loved her.
(d) If he would marry her.
8. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
9. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Come back in a few hours.
(b) Go away and stay away.
(c) Meet him on Friday night.
(d) Come inside the saloon.
10. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
(a) Break his nose.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Report him to the police.
(d) Fight with him.
11. When Maggie asks "Who?" as she wanders, who tries to answer her question?
(a) A well-dressed gentleman.
(c) A man passing by.
(d) A beggar woman.
12. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(c) To the saloon.
(d) To look for Pete.
13. How many daughters does the bespectacled, mocking police justice say that Mudder has a record of ruining?
14. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
(b) Maggie has returned.
(c) Mudder has died.
(d) The old woman has fallen.
15. What material is used for the saloon doors?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
3. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
4. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
5. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)