|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
(a) A year.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Five days.
2. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Meet him on Friday night.
(b) Come inside the saloon.
(c) Go away and stay away.
(d) Come back in a few hours.
3. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
4. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) A number of days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) Several hours.
5. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
6. How does Pete treat Maggie as they watch the beginning of the show?
7. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(a) Talking to his boss.
8. How do the men staring at Maggie make her feel?
9. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
(a) Break his nose.
(b) Fight with him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Report him to the police.
10. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
(a) Screaming at the neighbors.
(b) Laughing at fate.
(c) Shedding tears.
(d) Drinking the days away.
11. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
12. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
(a) With suspicion and jealousy.
(b) With wonder and reliance.
(c) With fear and respect.
(d) With anger and remorse.
13. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Jimmie and Mudder.
(b) Mudder and Fader.
(c) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
(d) Mudder and the old woman.
14. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The men of Rum Alley.
(b) The police.
(c) The old woman.
(d) The women and children of Rum Alley.
15. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
(a) The priest.
(b) The neighbors.
(d) The old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the next door neighbor who Mudder says she warned Maggie about?
2. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
3. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
4. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
5. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)