|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
2. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
(a) A boy with blond curls.
(b) A young man in a light overcoat and derby hat.
(c) An old fat man.
(d) A laboring man.
3. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Between Pete and Freddie.
(b) Between Nellie and Freddie.
(c) Behind Nellie.
(d) Between Pete and Nellie.
4. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
(a) Several days.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) Several years.
(d) Several months.
5. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
(d) Blue Billie.
6. When she thinks about Maggie begging to come home at some future date, what does Mudder do?
(a) Smile vindictively.
(b) Weep mournfully.
(c) Wring her hands.
(d) Laugh gleefully.
7. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
8. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) A handful of coins.
(b) A used cocktail napkin.
(c) His beer glass.
(d) Two or three bills.
9. How many customers are in the saloon while Pete polishes the beer glass?
10. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To Pete's house.
(b) To the devil.
(c) To the saloon.
(d) To the show.
11. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The priest.
(d) The old woman.
12. What drink do Jimmie and his companion order?
13. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
(b) The theater.
(c) The museum.
14. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
(a) An idiot.
(b) A benefactor.
(c) A womanizer.
(d) A fool.
15. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
(a) Mudders scarf and coat.
(b) Maggie's jacket and hat.
(c) The broom and dustpan.
(d) The frying pan and spatula.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
2. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
3. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
4. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)