|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
(a) Lion, tiger, snake, and cat.
(b) Panther, rooster, bull dog, and cat.
(c) Panther, tiger, snake, and lion.
(d) Bull dog, rooster, lion, and snake.
2. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
(a) The neighbors.
(d) The dirty apartment.
3. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
(a) A stout, well-dressed gentleman.
(b) A working man with a load of firewood.
(c) A woman in stylish clothes.
(d) A small boy selling newspapers.
4. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
(a) They leave.
(b) They continue to order drinks.
(c) They fall asleep, too.
(d) They mock him.
5. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The police.
(b) The old woman.
(c) The men of Rum Alley.
(d) The women and children of Rum Alley.
6. When Maggie asks "Who?" as she wanders, who tries to answer her question?
(a) A well-dressed gentleman.
(b) A beggar woman.
(d) A man passing by.
7. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) His beer glass.
(b) A handful of coins.
(c) Two or three bills.
(d) A used cocktail napkin.
8. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Pete's house.
(b) Freddie's house.
(c) The old woman's apartment.
(d) The hallway on the second floor.
9. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) At the apartment.
(b) In a dark corner.
(c) In the park.
(d) Under a table.
10. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
(a) A boy with blond curls.
(b) An old fat man.
(c) A laboring man.
(d) A young man in a light overcoat and derby hat.
11. How does Maggie feel when Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) Angry and hurt.
(b) Dazed and astounded.
(c) Relieved and relaxed.
(d) Anxious and worried.
12. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
(b) Mudder has died.
(c) The old woman has fallen.
(d) Maggie has returned.
13. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
14. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
(a) The old woman.
15. How long is Freddie silent after Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) An hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
2. How does Pete treat Maggie as they watch the beginning of the show?
3. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
4. What drink do Jimmie and his companion order?
5. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)