|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(a) To the saloon.
(b) To look for Pete.
2. How many daughters does the bespectacled, mocking police justice say that Mudder has a record of ruining?
3. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two months.
(d) A year.
4. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(a) A policeman.
(c) The spectators.
5. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
(a) The broom and dustpan.
(b) Maggie's jacket and hat.
(c) The frying pan and spatula.
(d) Mudders scarf and coat.
6. What is the name of the next door neighbor who Mudder says she warned Maggie about?
(a) Sheila McMasters.
(b) Sally McCallister.
(c) Sandy MacDonald.
(d) Sadie MacMallister.
7. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
8. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Jimmie and Mudder.
(b) Mudder and Fader.
(c) Mudder and the old woman.
(d) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
9. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Through the windows.
(b) Just inside the saloon.
(c) Under the saloon doors.
(d) Through the side door.
10. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
(a) If he would marry her.
(b) If he loved her.
(c) If she could live with him.
(d) When she would see him again.
11. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
(a) Drinking the days away.
(b) Screaming at the neighbors.
(c) Shedding tears.
(d) Laughing at fate.
12. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
13. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) In a dark corner.
(b) At the apartment.
(c) Under a table.
(d) In the park.
14. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
(d) The old woman.
15. How do the men staring at Maggie make her feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
2. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
3. Who else is drinking at the bar during the verbal exchange between Jimmie, his companion, and Pete?
4. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
5. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)