|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
2. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Between Nellie and Freddie.
(b) Between Pete and Freddie.
(c) Behind Nellie.
(d) Between Pete and Nellie.
3. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) The old woman.
(b) Maggie and Pete.
(d) A policeman.
4. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) Under a table.
(b) At the apartment.
(c) In the park.
(d) In a dark corner.
5. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
6. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
(a) The old woman.
7. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
8. What material is used for the saloon doors?
9. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
(c) Blue Billie.
10. How much time passes between Chapter 16 and Chapter 17?
(a) Several weeks.
(b) Several days.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several years.
11. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) Several hours.
(b) A month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A number of days.
12. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
(b) Drinking beer.
(d) Taking a walk.
13. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
(a) They fall asleep, too.
(b) They mock him.
(c) They leave.
(d) They continue to order drinks.
14. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(a) To look for Pete.
(b) To the saloon.
15. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
(c) The theater.
(d) The museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
2. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
3. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
4. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
5. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)