|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
(a) Runs to her.
(b) Turns his back on her.
(c) Pulls away from her.
(d) Hits her.
2. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
(c) Drinking beer.
(d) Taking a walk.
3. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The men of Rum Alley.
(b) The police.
(c) The old woman.
(d) The women and children of Rum Alley.
4. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) In a dark corner.
(b) Under a table.
(c) At the apartment.
(d) In the park.
5. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
(a) He is mildly drunk.
(b) He is grieving.
(c) He is very drunk.
(d) He is sober.
6. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) Several hours.
(b) A number of days.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
7. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
(a) The old woman.
(c) The neighbors.
(d) The priest.
8. When she thinks about Maggie begging to come home at some future date, what does Mudder do?
(a) Wring her hands.
(b) Laugh gleefully.
(c) Weep mournfully.
(d) Smile vindictively.
9. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
(a) Jimmie's companion.
(b) The saloon owner.
10. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
(a) A young man in a light overcoat and derby hat.
(b) A boy with blond curls.
(c) A laboring man.
(d) An old fat man.
11. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
(b) A dozen.
(d) A half dozen.
12. When Jimmie passes the group of women in the dark hallway, about whom are they talking?
(a) The old woman.
13. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To the devil.
(b) To the saloon.
(c) To the show.
(d) To Pete's house.
14. What material is used for the front of the saloon building where Pete works?
15. Who does Jimmie meet on the street when he leaves the apartment?
(b) A friend.
(c) A policeman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
3. To whom in the crowd does the "painted" girl throw her glances?
4. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
5. What drink do Jimmie and his companion order?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)