|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pete and Maggie join Nellie and Freddie, where does Maggie sit?
(a) Between Pete and Nellie.
(b) Behind Nellie.
(c) Between Pete and Freddie.
(d) Between Nellie and Freddie.
2. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(d) Talking to his boss.
3. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
(a) A lemon.
(b) A beer glass.
(c) A tin pail.
(d) A chair.
4. How many customers are in the saloon while Pete polishes the beer glass?
5. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
(a) Shedding tears.
(b) Screaming at the neighbors.
(c) Laughing at fate.
(d) Drinking the days away.
6. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
(a) Hits her.
(b) Runs to her.
(c) Turns his back on her.
(d) Pulls away from her.
7. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
(a) The priest.
(b) The neighbors.
(d) The old woman.
8. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The women and children of Rum Alley.
(b) The old woman.
(c) The police.
(d) The men of Rum Alley.
9. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
10. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
(a) A small boy selling newspapers.
(b) A woman in stylish clothes.
(c) A working man with a load of firewood.
(d) A stout, well-dressed gentleman.
11. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) His beer glass.
(b) Two or three bills.
(c) A used cocktail napkin.
(d) A handful of coins.
12. What drink do Jimmie and his companion order?
13. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
(b) Jimmie's companion.
(d) The saloon owner.
14. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) Maggie has returned.
(b) The old woman has fallen.
(c) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
(d) Mudder has died.
15. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
(a) It is dirty and smelly.
(b) It has been completely trashed.
(c) It is beautiful and spotless.
(d) It has been tidied up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the "painted" girl end up in her wandering?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
3. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
4. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
5. When Maggie asks "Who?" as she wanders, who tries to answer her question?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)