|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(a) Talking to his boss.
2. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
(a) Runs to her.
(b) Hits her.
(c) Turns his back on her.
(d) Pulls away from her.
3. How many daughters does the bespectacled, mocking police justice say that Mudder has a record of ruining?
4. What is the first object thrown in the saloon fight?
(a) A chair.
(b) A lemon.
(c) A beer glass.
(d) A tin pail.
5. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) At the apartment.
(b) In the park.
(c) Under a table.
(d) In a dark corner.
6. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
(a) With suspicion and jealousy.
(b) With anger and remorse.
(c) With fear and respect.
(d) With wonder and reliance.
7. Who throws the first punch in the saloon fight?
(b) The saloon owner.
(c) Jimmie's companion.
8. How does Pete treat Maggie as they watch the beginning of the show?
9. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
10. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
(a) The broom and dustpan.
(b) Mudders scarf and coat.
(c) Maggie's jacket and hat.
(d) The frying pan and spatula.
11. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
(a) Bull dog, rooster, lion, and snake.
(b) Panther, rooster, bull dog, and cat.
(c) Lion, tiger, snake, and cat.
(d) Panther, tiger, snake, and lion.
12. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
(a) A year.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Five days.
13. What material is used for the saloon doors?
14. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
(a) A working man with a load of firewood.
(b) A woman in stylish clothes.
(c) A small boy selling newspapers.
(d) A stout, well-dressed gentleman.
15. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To the saloon.
(b) To the devil.
(c) To the show.
(d) To Pete's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
2. To whom in the crowd does the "painted" girl throw her glances?
3. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
4. What drink do Jimmie and his companion order?
5. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)