|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
(a) They continue to order drinks.
(b) They leave.
(c) They mock him.
(d) They fall asleep, too.
2. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
3. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(b) To look for Pete.
(d) To the saloon.
4. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Through the side door.
(b) Under the saloon doors.
(c) Just inside the saloon.
(d) Through the windows.
5. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
(a) To Pete's saloon.
(b) To Billie's.
(c) To Jimmie's.
(d) To a show.
6. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) In a dark corner.
(b) Under a table.
(c) At the apartment.
(d) In the park.
7. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The dirty apartment.
8. How many daughters does the bespectacled, mocking police justice say that Mudder has a record of ruining?
9. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
(a) He is mildly drunk.
(b) He is very drunk.
(c) He is grieving.
(d) He is sober.
10. As he refuses to take Pete's money, what does the waiter call Pete?
(a) An idiot.
(b) A benefactor.
(c) A womanizer.
(d) A fool.
11. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
(a) Fight with him.
(b) Break his nose.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Report him to the police.
12. Who else is drinking at the bar during the verbal exchange between Jimmie, his companion, and Pete?
(a) An old woman.
(c) An old man.
(d) A quiet stranger.
13. Who does Maggie meet as she wanders among the rows of houses?
(a) A stout, well-dressed gentleman.
(b) A small boy selling newspapers.
(c) A woman in stylish clothes.
(d) A working man with a load of firewood.
14. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
(a) It is beautiful and spotless.
(b) It has been tidied up.
(c) It has been completely trashed.
(d) It is dirty and smelly.
15. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maggie asks "Who?" as she wanders, who tries to answer her question?
2. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
3. How long is Freddie silent after Pete and Nellie leave?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
5. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)