|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
(a) A scarlet dress.
(b) A black gown.
(c) A pink tutu.
(d) A purple dress.
2. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
3. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Maggie and Pete.
(b) The old woman.
(c) A policeman.
4. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(a) To the saloon.
(c) To look for Pete.
5. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(a) The spectators.
(c) A policeman.
6. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
7. Who else is drinking at the bar during the verbal exchange between Jimmie, his companion, and Pete?
(b) An old man.
(c) A quiet stranger.
(d) An old woman.
8. How does Maggie feel when Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) Relieved and relaxed.
(b) Angry and hurt.
(c) Dazed and astounded.
(d) Anxious and worried.
9. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
(c) Blue Billie.
10. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Mudder and Fader.
(b) Mudder and the old woman.
(c) Jimmie and Mudder.
(d) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
11. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) A month.
(b) A number of days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Several hours.
12. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
(a) With anger and remorse.
(b) With suspicion and jealousy.
(c) With fear and respect.
(d) With wonder and reliance.
13. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) Five days.
14. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
(a) He is sober.
(b) He is very drunk.
(c) He is mildly drunk.
(d) He is grieving.
15. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Under the saloon doors.
(b) Just inside the saloon.
(c) Through the side door.
(d) Through the windows.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
2. When Maggie asks "Who?" as she wanders, who tries to answer her question?
3. What is the name of the next door neighbor who Mudder says she warned Maggie about?
4. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
5. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)