|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
(a) Lion, tiger, snake, and cat.
(b) Panther, tiger, snake, and lion.
(c) Panther, rooster, bull dog, and cat.
(d) Bull dog, rooster, lion, and snake.
2. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
(a) With fear and respect.
(b) With wonder and reliance.
(c) With suspicion and jealousy.
(d) With anger and remorse.
3. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
(a) A scarlet dress.
(b) A black gown.
(c) A purple dress.
(d) A pink tutu.
5. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
(a) If he would marry her.
(b) If she could live with him.
(c) If he loved her.
(d) When she would see him again.
6. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) A number of days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) Several hours.
7. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Meet him on Friday night.
(b) Come inside the saloon.
(c) Go away and stay away.
(d) Come back in a few hours.
8. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Maggie and Pete.
(c) A policeman.
(d) The old woman.
9. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
(b) Blue Billie.
10. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
11. What material is used for the saloon doors?
12. Who does Jimmie meet on the street when he leaves the apartment?
(a) A policeman.
(d) A friend.
13. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
14. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(a) The spectators.
(d) A policeman.
15. As Chapter 17 opens, from where are most of the people in the crowd coming?
(c) The museum.
(d) The theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
2. Who answers the "painted" girl's remarks with, "It's a fine evenin', ain't it?"?
3. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
4. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
5. What does Jimmie do when Maggie cries out to him?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)