|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
(a) Bull dog, rooster, lion, and snake.
(b) Lion, tiger, snake, and cat.
(c) Panther, tiger, snake, and lion.
(d) Panther, rooster, bull dog, and cat.
2. Where does Maggie go to spend the night at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) The hallway on the second floor.
(b) Freddie's house.
(c) The old woman's apartment.
(d) Pete's house.
3. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(b) A policeman.
(c) Maggie and Pete.
(d) The old woman.
4. Who else is drinking at the bar during the verbal exchange between Jimmie, his companion, and Pete?
(a) An old woman.
(c) An old man.
(d) A quiet stranger.
5. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(b) A policeman.
(c) The spectators.
6. To whom in the crowd does the "painted" girl throw her glances?
(a) The rural and untaught men.
(b) Working class men with their wives.
(c) Single men in fine clothes.
(d) Older men who are alone.
7. What does the old woman say is Pete's response to Maggie's question?
(a) "We shall see."
(b) "Of course."
(c) "Oh, hell, yes."
(d) "Certainly not."
8. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To Pete's house.
(b) To the saloon.
(c) To the devil.
(d) To the show.
9. When Jimmie passes the group of women in the dark hallway, about whom are they talking?
(c) The old woman.
10. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
(a) He is mildly drunk.
(b) He is grieving.
(c) He is very drunk.
(d) He is sober.
11. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) Maggie has returned.
(b) The old woman has fallen.
(c) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
(d) Mudder has died.
12. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
(a) Just inside the saloon.
(b) Under the saloon doors.
(c) Through the side door.
(d) Through the windows.
13. When Maggie approaches Pete in the side street, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Meet him on Friday night.
(b) Come inside the saloon.
(c) Come back in a few hours.
(d) Go away and stay away.
14. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) A year.
(c) Five days.
(d) Two months.
15. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jimmie surveys the apartment, what does he notice is missing from the nail behind the door?
2. Where does the "painted" girl end up in her wandering?
3. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
4. As punishment for corrupting Maggie, what does Jimmie threaten to do to Pete?
5. For whom is the "forlorn woman" looking?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)