|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pete and Maggie enter the hall at the beginning of Chapter 14, how long has Maggie been away from home?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) A year.
(c) Five days.
(d) Two months.
2. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
(a) Taking a walk.
(c) Drinking beer.
3. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(a) To the saloon.
(d) To look for Pete.
4. What is Mudder raving about when Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 13?
(c) The dirty apartment.
(d) The neighbors.
5. Who else is drinking at the bar during the verbal exchange between Jimmie, his companion, and Pete?
(a) An old man.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A quiet stranger.
6. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
7. Who comes into the apartment to stare at Maggie when she comes home?
(a) The old woman.
(b) The police.
(c) The women and children of Rum Alley.
(d) The men of Rum Alley.
8. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
(a) Talking to his boss.
9. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
(d) The old woman.
10. Where does Jimmie hide after the saloon fight to avoid being caught?
(a) Under a table.
(b) In the park.
(c) At the apartment.
(d) In a dark corner.
11. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) Two or three bills.
(b) His beer glass.
(c) A used cocktail napkin.
(d) A handful of coins.
12. What do the women do once Pete is soundly in a drunken sleep?
(a) They fall asleep, too.
(b) They continue to order drinks.
(c) They leave.
(d) They mock him.
13. During Chapter 18, how many women surround Pete?
(a) A dozen.
(d) A half dozen.
14. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Maggie and Pete.
(b) A policeman.
(c) The old woman.
15. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
2. When Jimmie passes the group of women in the dark hallway, about whom are they talking?
3. From where do the spectators watch the saloon fight?
4. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
5. What word best describes Jimmie's attitude as he leaves the apartment to find Pete?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)