|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the "forlorn woman" who is wandering at the beginning of Chapter 15?
2. To whom in the crowd does the "painted" girl throw her glances?
(a) Older men who are alone.
(b) The rural and untaught men.
(c) Working class men with their wives.
(d) Single men in fine clothes.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
(a) A black gown.
(b) A purple dress.
(c) A scarlet dress.
(d) A pink tutu.
4. By what common name does the hasty businessman call the "painted" girl when he knocks into her?
5. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
6. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) Several hours.
(b) A number of days.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
7. Who does Jimmie meet when he comes home late from work at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Maggie and Pete.
(b) The old woman.
(c) A policeman.
8. What has been done to the apartment when Jimmie arrives home from work?
(a) It has been completely trashed.
(b) It has been tidied up.
(c) It is beautiful and spotless.
(d) It is dirty and smelly.
9. When Maggie asks "Who?" as she wanders, who tries to answer her question?
(a) A man passing by.
(b) A well-dressed gentleman.
(c) A beggar woman.
10. As Chapter 12 opens, what are Pete and Maggie doing?
(b) Drinking beer.
(c) Taking a walk.
11. Where does Jimmie tell Mudder that Maggie has gone?
(a) To Pete's house.
(b) To the devil.
(c) To the saloon.
(d) To the show.
12. When Jimmie arrives home in Chapter 15, what major event has happened?
(a) The old woman has fallen.
(b) Maggie has returned.
(c) Pete has destroyed the apartment.
(d) Mudder has died.
13. Where does Nellie say she wants to go with Pete?
(a) To Pete's saloon.
(b) To Billie's.
(c) To Jimmie's.
(d) To a show.
14. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
(a) Panther, tiger, snake, and lion.
(b) Lion, tiger, snake, and cat.
(c) Panther, rooster, bull dog, and cat.
(d) Bull dog, rooster, lion, and snake.
15. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
(a) To the saloon.
(d) To look for Pete.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jimmie decides to go after Pete, who blocks Jimmie's exit from the apartment?
2. What does the end of Chapter 13 say that Mudder goes through life doing?
3. To whom does Mother proclaim her grief, saying, "May Gawd forgive dat girl"?
4. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
5. When she thinks about Maggie begging to come home at some future date, what does Mudder do?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)