|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which friend of Pete's is among the women in the saloon with him?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what is the ballad singer wearing?
(a) A pink tutu.
(b) A scarlet dress.
(c) A purple dress.
(d) A black gown.
3. After the saloon brawl with Pete, how long does Jimmie wait before returning home?
(a) A month.
(b) A number of days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Several hours.
4. Who does Jimmie meet on the street when he leaves the apartment?
(b) A policeman.
(d) A friend.
5. To what four animals are the fighters in Chapter 11 compared?
(a) Panther, tiger, snake, and lion.
(b) Lion, tiger, snake, and cat.
(c) Bull dog, rooster, lion, and snake.
(d) Panther, rooster, bull dog, and cat.
6. What is the name of the companion who enters the saloon with Jimmie?
7. Based on the anger of Maggie's family, how does Chapter 16 say Pete feels?
8. What material is used for the saloon doors?
9. Who charges in to break up the saloon fight?
(c) A policeman.
(d) The spectators.
10. When Maggie relates the tragic tales of her childhood, who does Pete denounce as "jays"?
(a) Jimmie and Mudder.
(b) Mudder and Fader.
(c) Mudder and the old woman.
(d) Jimmie and Blue Billie.
11. To whom in the crowd does the "painted" girl throw her glances?
(a) The rural and untaught men.
(b) Older men who are alone.
(c) Single men in fine clothes.
(d) Working class men with their wives.
12. What is Pete's condition throughout Chapter 18?
(a) He is mildly drunk.
(b) He is sober.
(c) He is grieving.
(d) He is very drunk.
13. While at work in the saloon, what color jacket does Pete wear?
14. What does Pete throw on the table just before falling asleep?
(a) A handful of coins.
(b) A used cocktail napkin.
(c) His beer glass.
(d) Two or three bills.
15. How does Maggie feel when Pete and Nellie leave?
(a) Anxious and worried.
(b) Relieved and relaxed.
(c) Angry and hurt.
(d) Dazed and astounded.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maggie look at Pete as they listen to the singer in Chapter 12?
2. How do the men staring at Maggie make her feel?
3. When the old woman tells her tale in Chapter 10, what does she say that Maggie asks Pete?
4. What is Pete doing as he polishes the beer glass behind the bar?
5. When Freddie offhandedly invites Maggie to leave with him, where does Maggie say she is going?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)