|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of her thoughts of Pete, what does Chapter 8 say that Maggie grows to dislike?
(a) All of her dresses.
(b) Her neighborhood.
(c) Her apartment.
(d) Her looks.
2. Who is Mudder trying to start a fight with after she enters the tenement building?
(a) Maggie and Pete.
(b) Mary Murphy.
(c) The old woman.
(d) Miss Smith.
3. Who always triumphs at the end of the plays that Pete and Maggie attend?
(a) The good child.
(b) The king.
(c) The villain.
(d) The poor hero.
4. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) The urchin boys.
(b) A group of men on a street corner.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A policeman.
5. In an attempt to impress Pete, what does Maggie fix up and hang over the stove?
(a) An old clock.
(b) A lambrequin.
(c) A picture.
(d) An ornate birdcage.
6. After the brutal fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, how long do Jimmie and Maggie huddle in the corner of the apartment?
(a) For five hours.
(b) For three hours.
(c) Until dawn.
(d) Until breakfast.
7. Which group of boys is winning the street fight before it is broken up?
(a) The Rum Alley boys.
(b) The Black Door boys.
(c) The Devil's Row boys.
(d) The Evil's Row boys.
8. While out with Maggie, where does Pete see a little monkey to which he takes a liking?
(a) New York City Zoo.
(b) The pet store.
(c) Central Park Menagerie.
(d) A traveling circus.
9. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
(a) Bright red.
(b) Pale grey.
(c) Almost purple.
(d) Dull yellow.
10. When Jimmie happens upon his furiously screaming mother, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Come home.
(c) Stop shouting.
(d) Go back to the saloon.
11. How many different acts of the show are described in Chapter 7?
12. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie in the summer?
(a) To the beach.
(b) To a street fair.
(c) To a picnic.
(d) To a concert.
13. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
(d) The waiter.
14. Where does Chapter 4 say Jimmie stands to watch the world go by?
(a) At the apartment window.
(b) Behind a bar.
(c) In the alleys.
(d) On street corners.
15. What does Mudder do to Jimmie in Chapter 2 that makes him scream in pain?
(a) Harshly scrubs his wounded face.
(b) Breaks a beer bottle over his head.
(c) Pours hot cooking oil on him.
(d) Beats him with an old table leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mudder curses Maggie, what does she call her?
2. In the opening scene of Chapter 1, what are the boys throwing at each other?
3. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
4. To keep money in his pocket, what does Jimmie become?
5. As he drinks at the bar, to what does Fader liken his home?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)