|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pete become more eloquent and elaborate in descriptions of his bravery and fighting skill?
(a) He notices Mudder is listening closely.
(b) He notices Jimmie is impressed.
(c) He notices Maggie is listening closely.
(d) He is drunk and cannot help himself.
2. What act follows the dancing girl in the show that Maggie and Pete attend?
(a) Another dancer.
(b) A juggler.
(c) A ventriloquist.
(d) An opera singer.
3. While Jimmie listens outside the apartment door, what does Mudder threaten to do to Fader?
(a) Break his neck.
(b) Run him off.
(c) Slap him.
(d) Break his jaw.
4. How old is the person who breaks up the street fight in Chapter 1?
(a) 32 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 16 years old.
(d) 47 years old.
5. Who is the bartender at the saloon from which Mudder is removed?
(a) Jimmie Murckre.
(b) Blue Billie.
(c) David Copperfield.
6. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
(a) His left leg.
(b) His neck.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) His head.
7. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
8. How does the air in the collar and cuff factory make Maggie feel?
9. What time do Pete and Maggie arrive back at the apartment after the show?
(a) A late hour.
(b) Near dawn.
(c) Around nine.
(d) At midnight.
10. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(b) Dark Blue.
11. Who does Jimmie storm at, denounce, and compare to pestering flies in Chapter 4?
(b) Police officers.
(c) Other truck drivers.
(d) Foot passengers.
12. In an attempt to impress Pete, what does Maggie fix up and hang over the stove?
(a) A lambrequin.
(b) An old clock.
(c) A picture.
(d) An ornate birdcage.
13. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
14. What three characters figure prominently in every play that Maggie and Pete go to see?
(a) Hero, heroine, and villain.
(b) Mother, father, and child.
(c) King, queen, and hero.
(d) Mother, daughter, and son.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where do Jimmie and his father meet Maggie?
(a) At the store.
(b) At home.
(c) In the neighbor's apartment.
(d) On the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he argues with Fader in the doorway, with what does Jimmie get hit?
2. While out with Maggie, where does Pete see a little monkey to which he takes a liking?
3. Which boy does Jimmie fight with over his performance in the fight?
4. Where is Maggie while Pete and Jimmie exchange tales of valor in Chapter 5?
5. As he drinks at the bar, to what does Fader liken his home?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)