|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the air in the collar and cuff factory make Maggie feel?
2. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
3. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
(a) A foolish girl.
(b) An ugly girl.
(c) A pretty girl.
(d) A smart girl.
4. Who is Mudder trying to start a fight with after she enters the tenement building?
(a) Maggie and Pete.
(b) The old woman.
(c) Mary Murphy.
(d) Miss Smith.
5. Who always triumphs at the end of the plays that Pete and Maggie attend?
(a) The villain.
(b) The good child.
(c) The king.
(d) The poor hero.
6. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
(a) He accuses her of not keeping the house clean.
(b) She accuses him of drinking.
(c) He accuses her of drinking.
(d) She accuses him of infidelity.
7. When Pete reappears in the story, where does he promise to take Jimmie?
(a) To a saloon.
(b) To meet a girl.
(c) To a casino.
(d) To a boxing match.
8. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
(a) Dull yellow.
(b) Almost purple.
(c) Bright red.
(d) Pale grey.
9. What two things set Pete apart from the Rum Alley tenement crowd?
(a) His age and occupation.
(b) His clothing and manners.
(c) His height and weight.
(d) His education and experience.
10. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
(a) The Rum Alley boys and the Black Door boys.
(b) The Rum Alley boys and the Devil's Row boys.
(c) The Evil's Row boys and the Rum Alley boys.
(d) The Black Door boys and the Devil's Row boys.
11. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To church.
(b) To the park.
(c) To plays.
(d) To saloons.
12. Of what class of people are most of those attending the show with Pete and Maggie?
(a) The working class.
(b) The upper class.
(c) The aristocracy.
(d) The lower class.
13. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(c) Dark Blue.
14. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
(a) Kick her shins.
(b) Chase her down the street.
(c) Smack her mouth.
(d) Tell his mother.
15. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
(a) His shoulder.
(b) His neck.
(c) His head.
(d) His left leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who steals the pail from Jimmie as he carries it back to the old woman?
2. When Maggie sees that Jimmie has been fighting, what does she warn him that Mudder will do?
3. To keep money in his pocket, what does Jimmie become?
4. During the show, what is Pete watching?
5. Why is Mudder kicked out of a saloon in Chapter 9?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)