|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they attend the show in Chapter 7, where do Pete and Maggie sit?
(a) At a table beside the stage.
(b) At a table near the door.
(c) At a table under the balcony.
(d) At a table in the middle of the room.
2. What act follows the dancing girl in the show that Maggie and Pete attend?
(a) A ventriloquist.
(b) An opera singer.
(c) Another dancer.
(d) A juggler.
3. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
4. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
(a) The waiter.
5. What day does Maggie expect Pete to return?
6. What two things set Pete apart from the Rum Alley tenement crowd?
(a) His education and experience.
(b) His clothing and manners.
(c) His age and occupation.
(d) His height and weight.
7. When the dancing girl first appears in the show, what is she wearing?
(a) A long, full yellow dress.
(b) A black leotard.
(c) A long, slinky red dress.
(d) A pink dress with short skirts.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where do Jimmie and his father meet Maggie?
(a) On the street.
(b) At home.
(c) In the neighbor's apartment.
(d) At the store.
9. What is Jimmie standing on as he curses his opponents in the street fight?
(a) An old apple crate.
(b) A heap of gravel.
(c) An overturned bucket.
(d) A pile of scrap lumber.
10. Which boy ends up a bloody mess at the conclusion of the street fight?
(c) Blue Billie.
11. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A group of men on a street corner.
(c) An old woman.
(d) The urchin boys.
12. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The apartment burns down.
(b) Tommie dies.
(c) Mudder becomes ill.
(d) Fader dies.
13. Because of her thoughts of Pete, what does Chapter 8 say that Maggie grows to dislike?
(a) Her neighborhood.
(b) All of her dresses.
(c) Her apartment.
(d) Her looks.
14. As he argues with Fader in the doorway, with what does Jimmie get hit?
(a) An empty pail.
(b) A rock.
(c) A piece of wood.
(d) An empty bottle.
15. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
2. Why does Pete become more eloquent and elaborate in descriptions of his bravery and fighting skill?
3. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
4. What is Pete's occupation?
5. Where is Maggie while Pete and Jimmie exchange tales of valor in Chapter 5?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)