|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they attend the show in Chapter 7, where do Pete and Maggie sit?
(a) At a table under the balcony.
(b) At a table in the middle of the room.
(c) At a table beside the stage.
(d) At a table near the door.
2. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
(c) The waiter.
3. When the dancing girl first appears in the show, what is she wearing?
(a) A long, slinky red dress.
(b) A black leotard.
(c) A pink dress with short skirts.
(d) A long, full yellow dress.
4. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
(b) The old man.
(c) The old woman.
5. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
(a) He runs off.
(b) He is in an accident.
(c) He dies.
(d) He becomes ill.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what are the group of urchins watching intently?
(a) A street fight.
(b) A policeman's horse.
(c) The front door of a theater.
(d) The side door of a saloon.
7. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
(a) Bright red.
(b) Almost purple.
(c) Pale grey.
(d) Dull yellow.
8. What is Maggie's impression of Pete?
(a) He is looking for trouble.
(b) He is wise and good.
(c) He is a loud-mouthed fool.
(d) He would make an ideal beau.
9. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
(a) No one.
10. When Pete reappears in the story, where does he promise to take Jimmie?
(a) To a boxing match.
(b) To meet a girl.
(c) To a casino.
(d) To a saloon.
11. Because of her thoughts of Pete, what does Chapter 8 say that Maggie grows to dislike?
(a) Her neighborhood.
(b) Her looks.
(c) All of her dresses.
(d) Her apartment.
12. When does Chapter 4 say that Jimmie first began to be arrested?
(a) When he was a teenager.
(b) When he was a little boy.
(c) When he reached adulthood.
(d) When he was a young man.
13. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(d) Dark Blue.
14. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
(a) A collar and cuff factory.
(b) A saloon.
(c) A dressmaker's shop.
(d) A linen factory.
15. As he argues with Fader in the doorway, with what does Jimmie get hit?
(a) An empty bottle.
(b) A piece of wood.
(c) An empty pail.
(d) A rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vehicle does Jimmie fear, respect, and love with "a distant dog-like devotion"?
2. Who does Maggie wish she could talk to about Pete?
3. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
4. Where does Chapter 4 say Jimmie stands to watch the world go by?
5. What does Maggie do after dinner that makes her mother angry?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)