|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
(a) Pale grey.
(b) Almost purple.
(c) Bright red.
(d) Dull yellow.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where do Jimmie and his father meet Maggie?
(a) At home.
(b) On the street.
(c) At the store.
(d) In the neighbor's apartment.
3. Which boy does Jimmie fight with over his performance in the fight?
(c) Blue Billie.
4. Based on the descriptions found in Chapter 2, which one of the following words best describes Mudder?
5. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what are the group of urchins watching intently?
(a) A street fight.
(b) A policeman's horse.
(c) The side door of a saloon.
(d) The front door of a theater.
7. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
8. What heroic figure is Pete likened to in Chapter 6?
(a) A prince.
(b) A king.
(c) A knight.
(d) A swordsman.
9. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
(a) The waiter.
10. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
(a) He runs off.
(b) He is in an accident.
(c) He dies.
(d) He becomes ill.
11. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
(a) A saloon.
(b) A collar and cuff factory.
(c) A dressmaker's shop.
(d) A linen factory.
12. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
(a) Pours beer on them.
(b) Punches them.
(c) Screams at them.
(d) Kicks them.
13. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To the park.
(b) To plays.
(c) To church.
(d) To saloons.
14. What color socks does the foreign owner of the cuff and collar factory wear?
(b) Navy blue.
15. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) A group of men on a street corner.
(b) A policeman.
(c) The urchin boys.
(d) An old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks up the street fight between the two groups of boys?
2. After the show, what does Pete ask Maggie to give him before she goes into the apartment?
3. What day does Maggie expect Pete to return?
4. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
5. When Mudder curses Maggie, what does she call her?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)