|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the opening scene of Chapter 1, what are the boys throwing at each other?
2. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
3. What is Mudder's real name?
4. In Chapter 4, for what is the preacher's audience waiting?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Soup tickets.
(c) The bus.
(d) A cab.
5. What does Jimmie's companion say he would ask for if he should ever meet God?
(a) A million dollars and a bottle of beer.
(b) Food, clothing, and shelter.
(c) A job.
(d) A nice house and a million dollars.
6. Who breaks up the street fight between the two groups of boys?
(b) Blue Billie.
(d) Jimmie's father.
7. What time do Pete and Maggie arrive back at the apartment after the show?
(a) A late hour.
(b) At midnight.
(c) Around nine.
(d) Near dawn.
8. Who is Mudder trying to start a fight with after she enters the tenement building?
(a) Miss Smith.
(b) Mary Murphy.
(c) The old woman.
(d) Maggie and Pete.
9. What two things set Pete apart from the Rum Alley tenement crowd?
(a) His height and weight.
(b) His clothing and manners.
(c) His education and experience.
(d) His age and occupation.
10. What is Pete's attitude toward Maggie as they wait for the show to start?
(a) Proud and condescending.
(b) Gracious and attentive.
(c) Brusque and irritated.
(d) Sweet and loving.
11. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
(a) An ugly girl.
(b) A foolish girl.
(c) A pretty girl.
(d) A smart girl.
12. What is Pete's occupation?
(a) He is a bartender.
(b) He is a firefighter.
(c) He is a truck driver.
(d) He is a policeman.
13. What color is the dress Maggie wears to go out with Pete on Friday night?
(a) Dark blue.
(b) Pale pink.
14. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) A group of men on a street corner.
(b) A policeman.
(c) An old woman.
(d) The urchin boys.
15. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
(a) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of boys is winning the street fight before it is broken up?
2. Why does Pete become more eloquent and elaborate in descriptions of his bravery and fighting skill?
3. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
4. Who tries to warn the boys that Jimmie's father is approaching?
5. What does Jimmie believe fine clothing represents?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)