|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pete reappears in the story, where does he promise to take Jimmie?
(a) To a boxing match.
(b) To a saloon.
(c) To a casino.
(d) To meet a girl.
2. What does Maggie compare Pete to in Chapter 8?
(a) A summer day.
(b) A breath of fresh air.
(c) A golden sun.
(d) The moon.
3. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
(a) A smart girl.
(b) An ugly girl.
(c) A pretty girl.
(d) A foolish girl.
4. In addition to dancing, what is the girl who starts the show in Chapter 7 doing?
(b) Playing the piano.
5. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
(a) He runs off.
(b) He is in an accident.
(c) He dies.
(d) He becomes ill.
6. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
7. When Jimmie re-enters the apartment after the fight in Chapter 3, where are Mudder and Fader?
(a) Mudder is on the floor and Fader is on a chair.
(b) Mudder is on a chair and Fader is gone.
(c) Fader is on the floor and Mudder is on a chair.
(d) Mudder and Fader are both on the floor.
8. What does Jimmie believe fine clothing represents?
9. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) A policeman.
(b) An old woman.
(c) A group of men on a street corner.
(d) The urchin boys.
10. What is Mudder doing when Jimmie, Maggie, and Fader arrive home?
(b) Fixing furniture.
(c) Doing Laundry.
11. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
(a) The old woman.
(c) The old man.
12. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
(a) His neck.
(b) His head.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) His left leg.
13. Who arrives at the apartment at the conclusion of the fight between Jimmie and Mudder?
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The old woman.
(d) The police.
14. What is Maggie's impression of Pete?
(a) He is looking for trouble.
(b) He is a loud-mouthed fool.
(c) He is wise and good.
(d) He would make an ideal beau.
15. What three characters figure prominently in every play that Maggie and Pete go to see?
(a) King, queen, and hero.
(b) Hero, heroine, and villain.
(c) Mother, father, and child.
(d) Mother, daughter, and son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
2. Who is the new head of the Johnson family?
3. What act follows the dancing girl in the show that Maggie and Pete attend?
4. While out with Maggie, where does Pete see a little monkey to which he takes a liking?
5. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie in the summer?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)