|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
(a) Punches them.
(b) Screams at them.
(c) Kicks them.
(d) Pours beer on them.
2. Who is the bartender at the saloon from which Mudder is removed?
(b) David Copperfield.
(c) Jimmie Murckre.
(d) Blue Billie.
3. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) She goes with Jimmie willingly.
(c) She hits Jimmie.
(d) She screams.
4. Who occasionally drags Jimmie from his truck driver perch to beat him?
(a) The police.
(d) Other truck drivers.
5. In Chapter 4, for what is the preacher's audience waiting?
(a) Soup tickets.
(b) A cab.
(c) The bus.
(d) The doctor.
6. What three characters figure prominently in every play that Maggie and Pete go to see?
(a) Mother, father, and child.
(b) Hero, heroine, and villain.
(c) Mother, daughter, and son.
(d) King, queen, and hero.
7. Where does Chapter 4 say Jimmie stands to watch the world go by?
(a) On street corners.
(b) In the alleys.
(c) At the apartment window.
(d) Behind a bar.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where do Jimmie and his father meet Maggie?
(a) In the neighbor's apartment.
(b) At the store.
(c) At home.
(d) On the street.
9. What day does Maggie expect Pete to return?
10. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
(a) She accuses him of infidelity.
(b) He accuses her of not keeping the house clean.
(c) He accuses her of drinking.
(d) She accuses him of drinking.
11. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(b) Dark Blue.
12. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
(b) The waiter.
13. What is the name of Jimmie's youngest sibling?
14. Why is Mudder kicked out of a saloon in Chapter 9?
(a) Women were not allowed in the saloon.
(b) She had too much to drink.
(c) She caused a disturbance.
(d) She could not pay her bill.
15. What is Jimmie carrying when he encounters his raging mother?
(a) A newspaper and a pipe.
(b) A pail of beer and a sandwich.
(c) A load of firewood.
(d) A dinner pail and an apron.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maggie sees that Jimmie has been fighting, what does she warn him that Mudder will do?
2. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
3. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
4. After the brutal fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, how long do Jimmie and Maggie huddle in the corner of the apartment?
5. When Jimmie and Mudder fight wildly in the apartment in Chapter 9, where is Maggie hiding?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)