|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the dress Maggie wears to go out with Pete on Friday night?
(a) Dark blue.
(b) Pale pink.
2. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To saloons.
(b) To church.
(c) To plays.
(d) To the park.
3. What is Mudder doing when Jimmie, Maggie, and Fader arrive home?
(b) Fixing furniture.
(c) Doing Laundry.
4. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
(a) To a movie.
(b) To the show.
(c) To a dance.
(d) To the museum.
5. When they attend the show in Chapter 7, where do Pete and Maggie sit?
(a) At a table beside the stage.
(b) At a table under the balcony.
(c) At a table in the middle of the room.
(d) At a table near the door.
6. Who does Jimmie storm at, denounce, and compare to pestering flies in Chapter 4?
(a) Other truck drivers.
(b) Police officers.
(d) Foot passengers.
7. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
(a) The Rum Alley boys and the Devil's Row boys.
(b) The Evil's Row boys and the Rum Alley boys.
(c) The Black Door boys and the Devil's Row boys.
(d) The Rum Alley boys and the Black Door boys.
8. How many different acts of the show are described in Chapter 7?
9. Where does Jimmie walk on the way to the apartment after the street brawl of Chapter 1?
(a) On his father's left side.
(b) In front of his father.
(c) Behind his father.
(d) On his father's right side.
10. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
(a) A pretty girl.
(b) A foolish girl.
(c) An ugly girl.
(d) A smart girl.
11. In an attempt to impress Pete, what does Maggie fix up and hang over the stove?
(a) An old clock.
(b) An ornate birdcage.
(c) A picture.
(d) A lambrequin.
12. What does Maggie do after dinner that makes her mother angry?
(a) Breaks a plate.
(b) Teases Jimmie.
(c) Spills water.
(d) Breaks a chair.
13. When Maggie sees that Jimmie has been fighting, what does she warn him that Mudder will do?
(a) Pound him.
(c) Kick him out of the house.
(d) Call the police.
14. On what street does the old woman customarily beg for her living?
(a) Fifth Avenue.
(c) Fourth Avenue.
(d) High Street.
15. Who occasionally drags Jimmie from his truck driver perch to beat him?
(a) Other truck drivers.
(d) The police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
2. When does Chapter 4 say that Jimmie first began to be arrested?
3. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. While Jimmie listens outside the apartment door, what does Mudder threaten to do to Fader?
5. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)