|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he argues with Fader in the doorway, with what does Jimmie get hit?
(a) A rock.
(b) A piece of wood.
(c) An empty bottle.
(d) An empty pail.
2. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
(b) The waiter.
3. Who is Mudder trying to start a fight with after she enters the tenement building?
(a) The old woman.
(b) Miss Smith.
(c) Mary Murphy.
(d) Maggie and Pete.
4. What does Jimmie believe fine clothing represents?
5. When they attend the show in Chapter 7, where do Pete and Maggie sit?
(a) At a table near the door.
(b) At a table beside the stage.
(c) At a table under the balcony.
(d) At a table in the middle of the room.
6. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To plays.
(b) To saloons.
(c) To church.
(d) To the park.
7. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
8. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
9. When does Chapter 4 say that Jimmie first began to be arrested?
(a) When he reached adulthood.
(b) When he was a young man.
(c) When he was a little boy.
(d) When he was a teenager.
10. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The apartment burns down.
(b) Fader dies.
(c) Mudder becomes ill.
(d) Tommie dies.
11. What is Mudder famous for in Chapter 5?
(a) Going to court.
(b) Singing on street corners.
(c) Making fine clothes.
(d) Wandering around the city.
12. After the altercation in the doorway, where does Jimmie go to get away from Fader?
(a) Into the street.
(b) To the saloon.
(c) Into the old woman's apartment.
(d) Under the stairs.
13. When Jimmie re-enters the apartment after the fight in Chapter 3, where are Mudder and Fader?
(a) Mudder and Fader are both on the floor.
(b) Mudder is on a chair and Fader is gone.
(c) Fader is on the floor and Mudder is on a chair.
(d) Mudder is on the floor and Fader is on a chair.
14. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
(a) The Rum Alley boys and the Devil's Row boys.
(b) The Rum Alley boys and the Black Door boys.
(c) The Evil's Row boys and the Rum Alley boys.
(d) The Black Door boys and the Devil's Row boys.
15. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
(a) Kicks them.
(b) Screams at them.
(c) Punches them.
(d) Pours beer on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the descriptions found in Chapter 2, which one of the following words best describes Mudder?
2. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
3. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
4. On what street does the old woman customarily beg for her living?
5. How many different acts of the show are described in Chapter 7?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)