|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he drinks at the bar, to what does Fader liken his home?
(b) The zoo.
2. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
(a) The old man.
(c) The old woman.
3. In an attempt to impress Pete, what does Maggie fix up and hang over the stove?
(a) A lambrequin.
(b) A picture.
(c) An old clock.
(d) An ornate birdcage.
4. What time do Pete and Maggie arrive back at the apartment after the show?
(a) Near dawn.
(b) At midnight.
(c) Around nine.
(d) A late hour.
5. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
(c) No one.
6. When Jimmie re-enters the apartment after the fight in Chapter 3, where are Mudder and Fader?
(a) Mudder is on the floor and Fader is on a chair.
(b) Fader is on the floor and Mudder is on a chair.
(c) Mudder and Fader are both on the floor.
(d) Mudder is on a chair and Fader is gone.
7. After the brutal fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, how long do Jimmie and Maggie huddle in the corner of the apartment?
(a) Until dawn.
(b) For three hours.
(c) Until breakfast.
(d) For five hours.
8. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
(a) A saloon.
(b) A linen factory.
(c) A collar and cuff factory.
(d) A dressmaker's shop.
9. What animal does Chapter 4 compare Jimmie with as he drives?
(a) A donkey.
(b) An African cow.
(c) A snake.
(d) An Indonesian monkey.
10. What color is the dress Maggie wears to go out with Pete on Friday night?
(b) Pale pink.
(d) Dark blue.
11. What is Pete's attitude toward Maggie as they wait for the show to start?
(a) Brusque and irritated.
(b) Proud and condescending.
(c) Gracious and attentive.
(d) Sweet and loving.
12. What is Jimmie standing on as he curses his opponents in the street fight?
(a) A pile of scrap lumber.
(b) An old apple crate.
(c) An overturned bucket.
(d) A heap of gravel.
13. What does Maggie compare Pete to in Chapter 8?
(a) The moon.
(b) A golden sun.
(c) A summer day.
(d) A breath of fresh air.
14. Which boy does Jimmie fight with over his performance in the fight?
(b) Blue Billie.
15. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the show, what is Pete watching?
2. Where is Maggie while Pete and Jimmie exchange tales of valor in Chapter 5?
3. In addition to dancing, what is the girl who starts the show in Chapter 7 doing?
4. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
5. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)