|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
(a) To the show.
(b) To a dance.
(c) To a movie.
(d) To the museum.
2. How does the air in the collar and cuff factory make Maggie feel?
3. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
(a) Bright red.
(b) Dull yellow.
(c) Almost purple.
(d) Pale grey.
4. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
(a) His left leg.
(b) His shoulder.
(c) His head.
(d) His neck.
5. When Jimmie re-enters the apartment after the fight in Chapter 3, where are Mudder and Fader?
(a) Mudder is on the floor and Fader is on a chair.
(b) Mudder and Fader are both on the floor.
(c) Fader is on the floor and Mudder is on a chair.
(d) Mudder is on a chair and Fader is gone.
6. Because of her thoughts of Pete, what does Chapter 8 say that Maggie grows to dislike?
(a) Her looks.
(b) Her apartment.
(c) Her neighborhood.
(d) All of her dresses.
7. Which of the following expressions is used in Chapter 3 to describe the old woman?
(a) Slender and wiry.
(b) Gnarled and leathery.
(c) Small and bent.
(d) Large and boisterous.
8. What two physical characteristics make Pete seem formidable?
(a) Piercing eyes and large fists.
(b) Swinging shoulders and a sneer.
(c) Massive height and weight.
(d) Fine clothes and shiny shoes.
9. Which boy ends up a bloody mess at the conclusion of the street fight?
(b) Blue Billie.
10. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie in the summer?
(a) To a concert.
(b) To a picnic.
(c) To the beach.
(d) To a street fair.
11. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
12. When Mudder curses Maggie, what does she call her?
(a) A disgrace.
(b) A wayward child.
(c) A foolish girl.
(d) A whore.
13. What is Pete's attitude toward Maggie as they wait for the show to start?
(a) Sweet and loving.
(b) Brusque and irritated.
(c) Gracious and attentive.
(d) Proud and condescending.
14. As young men start to notice Maggie, what does Jimmie tell her she should do?
(a) Go on dates.
(b) Hide in the house.
(c) Leave home.
(d) Get a job.
15. When Pete reappears in the story, where does he promise to take Jimmie?
(a) To a boxing match.
(b) To meet a girl.
(c) To a casino.
(d) To a saloon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Chapter 4 compare Jimmie with as he drives?
2. Who occasionally drags Jimmie from his truck driver perch to beat him?
3. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
4. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
5. What does Mudder do to Jimmie in Chapter 2 that makes him scream in pain?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)