|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives at the apartment at the conclusion of the fight between Jimmie and Mudder?
(a) The police.
(b) The neighbors.
(d) The old woman.
2. When Jimmie happens upon his furiously screaming mother, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Stop shouting.
(c) Go back to the saloon.
(d) Come home.
3. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
(a) His shoulder.
(b) His head.
(c) His left leg.
(d) His neck.
4. When Jimmie re-enters the apartment after the fight in Chapter 3, where are Mudder and Fader?
(a) Mudder is on a chair and Fader is gone.
(b) Mudder is on the floor and Fader is on a chair.
(c) Mudder and Fader are both on the floor.
(d) Fader is on the floor and Mudder is on a chair.
5. What does Maggie do after dinner that makes her mother angry?
(a) Teases Jimmie.
(b) Spills water.
(c) Breaks a chair.
(d) Breaks a plate.
6. What day does Maggie expect Pete to return?
7. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
(a) Maggie's quiet sobbing.
(b) Music from another apartment.
(c) The crash of splintering furniture.
(d) The crash of breaking glass.
8. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
9. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
(a) He accuses her of drinking.
(b) He accuses her of not keeping the house clean.
(c) She accuses him of drinking.
(d) She accuses him of infidelity.
10. Of what class of people are most of those attending the show with Pete and Maggie?
(a) The working class.
(b) The lower class.
(c) The upper class.
(d) The aristocracy.
11. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To plays.
(b) To saloons.
(c) To church.
(d) To the park.
12. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(a) Dark Blue.
13. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
(a) Bright red.
(b) Pale grey.
(c) Almost purple.
(d) Dull yellow.
14. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
15. When Mudder curses Maggie, what does she call her?
(a) A foolish girl.
(b) A whore.
(c) A wayward child.
(d) A disgrace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mudder doing when Jimmie, Maggie, and Fader arrive home?
2. Why is Mudder kicked out of a saloon in Chapter 9?
3. In addition to dancing, what is the girl who starts the show in Chapter 7 doing?
4. Which boy ends up a bloody mess at the conclusion of the street fight?
5. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)