|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
2. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
(a) To a movie.
(b) To the museum.
(c) To a dance.
(d) To the show.
3. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
4. What does Maggie do after dinner that makes her mother angry?
(a) Teases Jimmie.
(b) Spills water.
(c) Breaks a plate.
(d) Breaks a chair.
5. How does Maggie feel as she leaves the plays that she attends with Pete?
(a) She is depressed.
(b) She is excited.
(c) Her spirits are raised.
(d) Her heart is broken.
6. What color socks does the foreign owner of the cuff and collar factory wear?
(b) Navy blue.
7. To keep money in his pocket, what does Jimmie become?
(a) A bartender.
(b) A policeman.
(c) An undertaker.
(d) A truck driver.
8. What does Pete say about Maggie's shape at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) "It's quite remarkable."
(b) "It's fine, fine, fine."
(c) "It's outa sight."
(d) "It could use some work."
9. What is Mudder often doing at home in Chapter 8?
(a) Helping neighbors.
(b) Drinking and raving.
(c) Cleaning and cooking.
(d) Sleeping off a hangover.
10. As he argues with Fader in the doorway, with what does Jimmie get hit?
(a) A rock.
(b) A piece of wood.
(c) An empty pail.
(d) An empty bottle.
11. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
(d) No one.
12. In an attempt to impress Pete, what does Maggie fix up and hang over the stove?
(a) A lambrequin.
(b) A picture.
(c) An ornate birdcage.
(d) An old clock.
13. During the scuffle in the hallway, who opens the door to the apartment?
14. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A group of men on a street corner.
(c) The urchin boys.
(d) An old woman.
15. Based on the descriptions found in Chapter 2, which one of the following words best describes Mudder?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
2. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
3. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
4. Where does Jimmie walk on the way to the apartment after the street brawl of Chapter 1?
5. What is Pete's attitude toward Maggie as they wait for the show to start?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)