|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the person who breaks up the street fight in Chapter 1?
(a) 32 years old.
(b) 16 years old.
(c) 10 years old.
(d) 47 years old.
2. What act follows the dancing girl in the show that Maggie and Pete attend?
(a) A juggler.
(b) Another dancer.
(c) An opera singer.
(d) A ventriloquist.
3. Why does Pete become more eloquent and elaborate in descriptions of his bravery and fighting skill?
(a) He notices Jimmie is impressed.
(b) He notices Mudder is listening closely.
(c) He is drunk and cannot help himself.
(d) He notices Maggie is listening closely.
4. Based on the descriptions found in Chapter 2, which one of the following words best describes Mudder?
5. What does Maggie do after dinner that makes her mother angry?
(a) Teases Jimmie.
(b) Breaks a chair.
(c) Breaks a plate.
(d) Spills water.
6. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
7. Where does Pete promise to take Maggie on Friday night?
(a) To a dance.
(b) To the museum.
(c) To the show.
(d) To a movie.
8. In Chapter 4, for what is the preacher's audience waiting?
(a) The bus.
(b) A cab.
(c) Soup tickets.
(d) The doctor.
9. What is the name of Jimmie's youngest sibling?
10. What is Mudder often doing at home in Chapter 8?
(a) Drinking and raving.
(b) Helping neighbors.
(c) Sleeping off a hangover.
(d) Cleaning and cooking.
11. Why is Mudder kicked out of a saloon in Chapter 9?
(a) She could not pay her bill.
(b) She had too much to drink.
(c) Women were not allowed in the saloon.
(d) She caused a disturbance.
12. While out with Maggie, where does Pete see a little monkey to which he takes a liking?
(a) The pet store.
(b) Central Park Menagerie.
(c) A traveling circus.
(d) New York City Zoo.
13. In an attempt to impress Pete, what does Maggie fix up and hang over the stove?
(a) An ornate birdcage.
(b) A lambrequin.
(c) A picture.
(d) An old clock.
14. What color socks does the foreign owner of the cuff and collar factory wear?
(b) Navy blue.
15. To keep money in his pocket, what does Jimmie become?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A bartender.
(c) A truck driver.
(d) An undertaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jimmie's family's last name?
2. Who says, "Is yer fader beatin' yer mudder, or yer mudder beatin' yer fader"?
3. What three characters figure prominently in every play that Maggie and Pete go to see?
4. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
5. Who is Mudder trying to start a fight with after she enters the tenement building?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)