|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the new head of the Johnson family?
2. Based on the descriptions found in Chapter 2, which one of the following words best describes Mudder?
3. During the scuffle in the hallway, who opens the door to the apartment?
4. Where does Chapter 4 say Jimmie stands to watch the world go by?
(a) Behind a bar.
(b) At the apartment window.
(c) On street corners.
(d) In the alleys.
5. Which group of boys is winning the street fight before it is broken up?
(a) The Evil's Row boys.
(b) The Black Door boys.
(c) The Devil's Row boys.
(d) The Rum Alley boys.
6. What day does Maggie expect Pete to return?
7. When Jimmie and Mudder fight wildly in the apartment in Chapter 9, where is Maggie hiding?
(a) In the other room.
(b) In the shadows.
(c) In the hallway.
(d) At the old woman's apartment.
8. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
9. What does Mudder do to Jimmie in Chapter 2 that makes him scream in pain?
(a) Harshly scrubs his wounded face.
(b) Beats him with an old table leg.
(c) Pours hot cooking oil on him.
(d) Breaks a beer bottle over his head.
10. While Jimmie listens outside the apartment door, what does Mudder threaten to do to Fader?
(a) Break his neck.
(b) Slap him.
(c) Run him off.
(d) Break his jaw.
11. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
(b) A newspaper.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where do Jimmie and his father meet Maggie?
(a) On the street.
(b) At the store.
(c) At home.
(d) In the neighbor's apartment.
13. Who is Mudder trying to start a fight with after she enters the tenement building?
(a) The old woman.
(b) Miss Smith.
(c) Mary Murphy.
(d) Maggie and Pete.
14. What heroic figure is Pete likened to in Chapter 6?
(a) A prince.
(b) A knight.
(c) A swordsman.
(d) A king.
15. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
(b) The waiter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
2. As young men start to notice Maggie, what does Jimmie tell her she should do?
3. What two physical characteristics make Pete seem formidable?
4. Who does Maggie wish she could talk to about Pete?
5. When Jimmie happens upon his furiously screaming mother, what does he tell her to do?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)