|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tries to warn the boys that Jimmie's father is approaching?
(c) A woman looking out the window above.
(d) A small boy watching the fight.
2. When Mudder curses Maggie, what does she call her?
(a) A whore.
(b) A foolish girl.
(c) A wayward child.
(d) A disgrace.
3. Who arrives at the apartment at the conclusion of the fight between Jimmie and Mudder?
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The police.
(d) The old woman.
4. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To saloons.
(b) To the park.
(c) To church.
(d) To plays.
5. What three characters figure prominently in every play that Maggie and Pete go to see?
(a) Hero, heroine, and villain.
(b) King, queen, and hero.
(c) Mother, daughter, and son.
(d) Mother, father, and child.
6. In Chapter 4, for what is the preacher's audience waiting?
(a) Soup tickets.
(b) A cab.
(c) The bus.
(d) The doctor.
7. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Fader dies.
(b) Tommie dies.
(c) Mudder becomes ill.
(d) The apartment burns down.
8. Who always triumphs at the end of the plays that Pete and Maggie attend?
(a) The poor hero.
(b) The villain.
(c) The good child.
(d) The king.
9. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
(a) Kick her shins.
(b) Chase her down the street.
(c) Tell his mother.
(d) Smack her mouth.
10. How does Maggie feel as she leaves the plays that she attends with Pete?
(a) She is excited.
(b) Her spirits are raised.
(c) Her heart is broken.
(d) She is depressed.
11. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
(a) Pale grey.
(b) Bright red.
(c) Dull yellow.
(d) Almost purple.
12. What two physical characteristics make Pete seem formidable?
(a) Fine clothes and shiny shoes.
(b) Swinging shoulders and a sneer.
(c) Massive height and weight.
(d) Piercing eyes and large fists.
13. When Jimmie re-enters the apartment after the fight in Chapter 3, where are Mudder and Fader?
(a) Mudder and Fader are both on the floor.
(b) Fader is on the floor and Mudder is on a chair.
(c) Mudder is on the floor and Fader is on a chair.
(d) Mudder is on a chair and Fader is gone.
14. How old is the person who breaks up the street fight in Chapter 1?
(a) 32 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 16 years old.
(d) 47 years old.
15. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) A group of men on a street corner.
(b) An old woman.
(c) The urchin boys.
(d) A policeman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time do Pete and Maggie arrive back at the apartment after the show?
2. What is Pete's attitude toward Maggie as they wait for the show to start?
3. What is Pete's occupation?
4. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
5. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)