|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maggie compare Pete to in Chapter 8?
(a) A golden sun.
(b) A breath of fresh air.
(c) A summer day.
(d) The moon.
2. What does Maggie do after dinner that makes her mother angry?
(a) Breaks a plate.
(b) Breaks a chair.
(c) Spills water.
(d) Teases Jimmie.
3. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(b) Dark Blue.
4. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
(a) A linen factory.
(b) A saloon.
(c) A dressmaker's shop.
(d) A collar and cuff factory.
5. How does the air in the collar and cuff factory make Maggie feel?
6. Which boy ends up a bloody mess at the conclusion of the street fight?
(a) Blue Billie.
7. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
(a) She accuses him of infidelity.
(b) He accuses her of drinking.
(c) He accuses her of not keeping the house clean.
(d) She accuses him of drinking.
8. During the show, what is Pete watching?
(a) The waiters.
(c) The acts.
(d) The door.
9. What is the name of Jimmie's youngest sibling?
10. When Maggie sees that Jimmie has been fighting, what does she warn him that Mudder will do?
(b) Call the police.
(c) Kick him out of the house.
(d) Pound him.
11. Because of her thoughts of Pete, what does Chapter 8 say that Maggie grows to dislike?
(a) Her apartment.
(b) Her neighborhood.
(c) Her looks.
(d) All of her dresses.
12. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
(a) His shoulder.
(b) His head.
(c) His neck.
(d) His left leg.
13. While Jimmie listens outside the apartment door, what does Mudder threaten to do to Fader?
(a) Slap him.
(b) Break his jaw.
(c) Break his neck.
(d) Run him off.
14. Who does Jimmie storm at, denounce, and compare to pestering flies in Chapter 4?
(a) Other truck drivers.
(c) Police officers.
(d) Foot passengers.
15. Who always triumphs at the end of the plays that Pete and Maggie attend?
(a) The poor hero.
(b) The villain.
(c) The good child.
(d) The king.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
2. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
4. What does Mudder do to Jimmie in Chapter 2 that makes him scream in pain?
5. Who occasionally drags Jimmie from his truck driver perch to beat him?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)