|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the person who breaks up the street fight in Chapter 1?
(a) 47 years old.
(b) 16 years old.
(c) 32 years old.
(d) 10 years old.
2. What body part of Jimmie's opponent does Jimmie's father injure?
(a) His left leg.
(b) His neck.
(c) His head.
(d) His shoulder.
3. What time do Pete and Maggie arrive back at the apartment after the show?
(a) At midnight.
(b) Around nine.
(c) A late hour.
(d) Near dawn.
4. What animal does Chapter 4 compare Jimmie with as he drives?
(a) A donkey.
(b) An Indonesian monkey.
(c) A snake.
(d) An African cow.
5. Who steals the pail from Jimmie as he carries it back to the old woman?
(b) Blue Billie.
6. What kind of girl does Chapter 5 say that Maggie grows up to be?
(a) A foolish girl.
(b) A smart girl.
(c) An ugly girl.
(d) A pretty girl.
7. What is Jimmie carrying when he encounters his raging mother?
(a) A dinner pail and an apron.
(b) A newspaper and a pipe.
(c) A load of firewood.
(d) A pail of beer and a sandwich.
8. While out with Maggie, where does Pete see a little monkey to which he takes a liking?
(a) A traveling circus.
(b) Central Park Menagerie.
(c) New York City Zoo.
(d) The pet store.
9. Because of her thoughts of Pete, what does Chapter 8 say that Maggie grows to dislike?
(a) All of her dresses.
(b) Her neighborhood.
(c) Her looks.
(d) Her apartment.
10. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
(a) Chase her down the street.
(b) Tell his mother.
(c) Smack her mouth.
(d) Kick her shins.
11. During the show, what is Pete watching?
(a) The waiters.
(c) The door.
(d) The acts.
12. What does Mudder do all day Friday?
(a) Cook dinner.
(b) Clean the apartment.
(c) Drink whiskey.
(d) Beg on Fifth Avenue.
13. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(d) Dark Blue.
14. Who breaks up the street fight between the two groups of boys?
(b) Blue Billie.
(d) Jimmie's father.
15. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
(a) Pours beer on them.
(b) Punches them.
(c) Screams at them.
(d) Kicks them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie believe fine clothing represents?
2. While Jimmie listens outside the apartment door, what does Mudder threaten to do to Fader?
3. What tragic event occurs at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. After the show, what does Pete ask Maggie to give him before she goes into the apartment?
5. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)