|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following expressions is used in Chapter 3 to describe the old woman?
(a) Large and boisterous.
(b) Small and bent.
(c) Gnarled and leathery.
(d) Slender and wiry.
2. What does Jimmie's father do to the two fighting boys?
(a) Kicks them.
(b) Punches them.
(c) Pours beer on them.
(d) Screams at them.
3. What is Mudder often doing at home in Chapter 8?
(a) Cleaning and cooking.
(b) Helping neighbors.
(c) Sleeping off a hangover.
(d) Drinking and raving.
4. In Chapter 4, for what is the preacher's audience waiting?
(a) The bus.
(b) The doctor.
(c) A cab.
(d) Soup tickets.
5. Who taunts Mudder as she walks home from the saloon?
(a) A group of men on a street corner.
(b) An old woman.
(c) A policeman.
(d) The urchin boys.
6. When Jimmie grabs Mudder to take her home, what is her response?
(a) She hits Jimmie.
(b) She goes with Jimmie willingly.
(c) She begins to cry.
(d) She screams.
7. After hearing the tales of bravery and victory, who leaves the apartment with Pete?
(c) No one.
8. During the show, what is Pete watching?
(a) The acts.
(b) The waiters.
(d) The door.
9. What is the name of Jimmie's youngest sibling?
10. Who occasionally drags Jimmie from his truck driver perch to beat him?
(a) The police.
(b) Other truck drivers.
11. As he argues with Fader in the doorway, with what does Jimmie get hit?
(a) An empty pail.
(b) A piece of wood.
(c) An empty bottle.
(d) A rock.
12. On what street does the old woman customarily beg for her living?
(a) Fifth Avenue.
(b) High Street.
(d) Fourth Avenue.
13. Who steals the pail from Jimmie as he carries it back to the old woman?
(b) Blue Billie.
14. Which boy ends up a bloody mess at the conclusion of the street fight?
(a) Blue Billie.
15. How old is the person who breaks up the street fight in Chapter 1?
(a) 47 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 32 years old.
(d) 16 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Chapter 4 compare Jimmie with as he drives?
2. What two physical characteristics make Pete seem formidable?
3. How does the air in the collar and cuff factory make Maggie feel?
4. In Chapter 3, what does the old woman send Jimmie to buy for her?
5. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)