|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pete reappears in the story, where does he promise to take Jimmie?
(a) To a saloon.
(b) To meet a girl.
(c) To a boxing match.
(d) To a casino.
2. What does Maggie compare Pete to in Chapter 8?
(a) A golden sun.
(b) A breath of fresh air.
(c) A summer day.
(d) The moon.
3. To keep money in his pocket, what does Jimmie become?
(a) An undertaker.
(b) A bartender.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A truck driver.
4. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
(a) He dies.
(b) He is in an accident.
(c) He runs off.
(d) He becomes ill.
5. What does Jimmie believe fine clothing represents?
6. Why does Pete become more eloquent and elaborate in descriptions of his bravery and fighting skill?
(a) He notices Mudder is listening closely.
(b) He is drunk and cannot help himself.
(c) He notices Jimmie is impressed.
(d) He notices Maggie is listening closely.
7. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
(a) Music from another apartment.
(b) Maggie's quiet sobbing.
(c) The crash of breaking glass.
(d) The crash of splintering furniture.
8. Who says "Hully gee" several times in Chapter 5?
9. What color is the dress Maggie wears to go out with Pete on Friday night?
(a) Pale pink.
(c) Dark blue.
10. When Jimmie re-enters the apartment after the fight in Chapter 3, where are Mudder and Fader?
(a) Mudder is on a chair and Fader is gone.
(b) Fader is on the floor and Mudder is on a chair.
(c) Mudder and Fader are both on the floor.
(d) Mudder is on the floor and Fader is on a chair.
11. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To saloons.
(b) To plays.
(c) To church.
(d) To the park.
12. What does Jimmie threaten to do to Maggie if she does not "shut up"?
(a) Chase her down the street.
(b) Smack her mouth.
(c) Kick her shins.
(d) Tell his mother.
13. When Jimmie and Mudder fight wildly in the apartment in Chapter 9, where is Maggie hiding?
(a) In the other room.
(b) In the shadows.
(c) In the hallway.
(d) At the old woman's apartment.
14. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
(a) A collar and cuff factory.
(b) A saloon.
(c) A dressmaker's shop.
(d) A linen factory.
15. What color dresses are the orchestra women wearing in Chapter 7?
(a) Dark Blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
2. Who does Maggie wish she could talk to about Pete?
3. When Maggie sees that Jimmie has been fighting, what does she warn him that Mudder will do?
4. Where does Chapter 4 say Jimmie stands to watch the world go by?
5. When does Chapter 4 say that Jimmie first began to be arrested?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)