|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Maggie wish she could talk to about Pete?
(a) A reliable friend.
(c) A priest.
2. Why does Pete become more eloquent and elaborate in descriptions of his bravery and fighting skill?
(a) He notices Jimmie is impressed.
(b) He notices Mudder is listening closely.
(c) He is drunk and cannot help himself.
(d) He notices Maggie is listening closely.
3. During the show, what is Pete watching?
(b) The acts.
(c) The waiters.
(d) The door.
4. Which group of boys is winning the street fight before it is broken up?
(a) The Black Door boys.
(b) The Evil's Row boys.
(c) The Rum Alley boys.
(d) The Devil's Row boys.
5. Who warns Pete, "Don't be fresh now"?
(a) The waiter.
6. What act follows the dancing girl in the show that Maggie and Pete attend?
(a) A ventriloquist.
(b) Another dancer.
(c) A juggler.
(d) An opera singer.
7. What color does the book say Mudder's face turns when she is angry?
(a) Bright red.
(b) Dull yellow.
(c) Almost purple.
(d) Pale grey.
8. What three characters figure prominently in every play that Maggie and Pete go to see?
(a) Mother, father, and child.
(b) King, queen, and hero.
(c) Hero, heroine, and villain.
(d) Mother, daughter, and son.
9. While Jimmie listens outside the apartment door, what does Mudder threaten to do to Fader?
(a) Run him off.
(b) Slap him.
(c) Break his jaw.
(d) Break his neck.
10. What does the author say disguises Maggie's looks when she is a child?
11. What is Jimmie carrying when he encounters his raging mother?
(a) A load of firewood.
(b) A newspaper and a pipe.
(c) A dinner pail and an apron.
(d) A pail of beer and a sandwich.
12. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
(a) A linen factory.
(b) A dressmaker's shop.
(c) A collar and cuff factory.
(d) A saloon.
13. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
(a) The crash of breaking glass.
(b) Music from another apartment.
(c) Maggie's quiet sobbing.
(d) The crash of splintering furniture.
14. When Jimmie happens upon his furiously screaming mother, what does he tell her to do?
(a) Come home.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Go back to the saloon.
(d) Stop shouting.
15. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To plays.
(b) To the park.
(c) To church.
(d) To saloons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Maggie expect Pete to return?
2. What is Jimmie standing on as he curses his opponents in the street fight?
3. How many different acts of the show are described in Chapter 7?
4. In Chapter 4, for what is the preacher's audience waiting?
5. Which two groups of boys are involved in the opening street fight?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)