|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What faded pattern is on the carpet of the apartment?
2. Who steals the pail from Jimmie as he carries it back to the old woman?
(c) Blue Billie.
3. Who does Maggie wish she could talk to about Pete?
(a) A reliable friend.
(c) A priest.
4. What vehicle does Jimmie fear, respect, and love with "a distant dog-like devotion"?
(a) Fire engines.
(c) Fine trucks.
(d) Police wagons.
5. On what street does the old woman customarily beg for her living?
(a) Fifth Avenue.
(b) Fourth Avenue.
(c) High Street.
6. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To saloons.
(b) To plays.
(c) To the park.
(d) To church.
7. In the opening scene of Chapter 1, what are the boys throwing at each other?
8. In Chapter 2, what accusation starts the altercation between Fader and Mudder?
(a) He accuses her of not keeping the house clean.
(b) She accuses him of infidelity.
(c) She accuses him of drinking.
(d) He accuses her of drinking.
9. Who always triumphs at the end of the plays that Pete and Maggie attend?
(a) The poor hero.
(b) The king.
(c) The villain.
(d) The good child.
10. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
11. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
(a) He dies.
(b) He is in an accident.
(c) He runs off.
(d) He becomes ill.
12. What two physical characteristics make Pete seem formidable?
(a) Fine clothes and shiny shoes.
(b) Piercing eyes and large fists.
(c) Massive height and weight.
(d) Swinging shoulders and a sneer.
13. Of what class of people are most of those attending the show with Pete and Maggie?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) The lower class.
(c) The upper class.
(d) The working class.
14. Who breaks up the street fight between the two groups of boys?
(a) Jimmie's father.
(b) Blue Billie.
15. Who arrives at the apartment at the conclusion of the fight between Jimmie and Mudder?
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The old woman.
(d) The police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jimmie's youngest sibling?
2. To keep money in his pocket, what does Jimmie become?
3. What color socks does the foreign owner of the cuff and collar factory wear?
4. What animal does Chapter 4 compare Jimmie with as he drives?
5. When Jimmie re-enters the apartment after the fight in Chapter 3, where are Mudder and Fader?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)