|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following expressions is used in Chapter 3 to describe the old woman?
(a) Gnarled and leathery.
(b) Slender and wiry.
(c) Large and boisterous.
(d) Small and bent.
2. What two things set Pete apart from the Rum Alley tenement crowd?
(a) His clothing and manners.
(b) His age and occupation.
(c) His height and weight.
(d) His education and experience.
3. As he argues with Fader in the doorway, with what does Jimmie get hit?
(a) A rock.
(b) An empty bottle.
(c) A piece of wood.
(d) An empty pail.
4. Who tries to warn the boys that Jimmie's father is approaching?
(a) A small boy watching the fight.
(d) A woman looking out the window above.
5. Where do Pete and Maggie often go together on weekday evenings?
(a) To the park.
(b) To church.
(c) To plays.
(d) To saloons.
6. Where does Chapter 4 say Jimmie stands to watch the world go by?
(a) Behind a bar.
(b) On street corners.
(c) At the apartment window.
(d) In the alleys.
7. Where is Maggie employed for her first job?
(a) A collar and cuff factory.
(b) A dressmaker's shop.
(c) A saloon.
(d) A linen factory.
8. Who steals the pail from Jimmie as he carries it back to the old woman?
(b) Blue Billie.
9. What color ribbon is used to embellish the dingy curtains in the apartment?
10. What day does Maggie expect Pete to return?
11. What does Pete say about Maggie's shape at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) "It could use some work."
(b) "It's fine, fine, fine."
(c) "It's outa sight."
(d) "It's quite remarkable."
12. What happens to Fader in Chapter 4?
(a) He runs off.
(b) He is in an accident.
(c) He dies.
(d) He becomes ill.
13. How does Maggie feel as she leaves the plays that she attends with Pete?
(a) Her heart is broken.
(b) Her spirits are raised.
(c) She is depressed.
(d) She is excited.
14. Which group of boys is winning the street fight before it is broken up?
(a) The Black Door boys.
(b) The Rum Alley boys.
(c) The Evil's Row boys.
(d) The Devil's Row boys.
15. During the fight between Mudder and Fader in Chapter 3, what sound accompanies the howls, groans, and shrieks?
(a) The crash of breaking glass.
(b) Maggie's quiet sobbing.
(c) The crash of splintering furniture.
(d) Music from another apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mudder trying to start a fight with after she enters the tenement building?
2. Why is Mudder kicked out of a saloon in Chapter 9?
3. What is the name of Jimmie's youngest sibling?
4. When Jimmie and Mudder fight wildly in the apartment in Chapter 9, where is Maggie hiding?
5. Which boy ends up a bloody mess at the conclusion of the street fight?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)