* Two groups of boys, the Devil's Row boys and the Rum Alley boys, are fighting in a vacant lot.
* When the rest of the Rum Alley boys run away, Jimmie faces the Devil's Row boys alone.
* An older boy, Pete, breaks up the fight and scares off the Devil's Row boys.
* Blue Billie brags about his performance in the fight.
* Jimmie challenges Blue Billie to a fight to prove who is really the toughest.
* Jimmie's father comes along and violently breaks up the fight between Jimmie and Blue Billie.
* Maggie drags her little brother Tommie up the street and meets Jimmie and Fader heading home.
* Maggie and Jimmie fight over Jimmie's street brawl.
* Mudder punishes Jimmie's misdeeds by scouring his face roughly with a dirty rag.
* Mudder and Fader argue, and Fader leaves the apartment to get a drink.
* Mudder mourns her sad life as she...
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)