|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother used to stop sewing to do what for Madeleine when she put her head in her lap?
2. What does Claude see when he spies on the girls while they are playing their Madeleine game?
3. What begins to appear on Madeleine's skin?
4. How does the matron of the hospital feel about M. Jouy?
5. What type of fruit does M. Pujol offer Madeleine when he sees her standing outside in the sunlight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madeleine's sleeping form begin to develop bruises?
2. Why does Adrien join Madeleine in showering M. Pujol's caravan with gravel?
3. List some of the rules Beatrice made up for playing "The Madeleine Game."
4. Why does M. Pujol tell Madeleine the story of the widow and the carp?
5. Describe Mother's plan to break M. Jouy out of the hospital.
6. Why does Madeleine gather gravel to drop on top of M. Pujol's caravan?
7. What does Madeleine see M. Pujol and Adiren doing when she is hiding behind the curtain?
8. Describe Adrien's best efforts to scare the patient he is supposed to photograph for his piece entitled "Terror!"
9. How does the Mayor and his eldest daughter treat Mother when she visits their house? Why?
10. Why does the Mayor think his youngest daughter has unusual, childish hands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madeleine's brothers and sisters play important roles in Madeleine is Sleeping. Beatrice is the eldest and therefore the other children listen to her. Jean-Luc is playful and Claude is mischievous. Write an essay detailing how each of Madeleine's siblings have characteristics that are important to the story. How do they help move the plot forward in scenes where Madeleine is absent? In what ways do they help Mother during times of duress? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
When M. Pujol decides to donate his body to science, he leaves the widow's estate. Despite Adrien and Madeleine's best efforts, he is resistant to doing anything else. Write an essay explaining why M. Pujol decides to donate his body to science. What does he think he will accomplish by being cut open and examined? Why would he rather go under the knife instead of running away with Adrien and Madeleine? What does this tell the reader about M. Pujol's disposition and outlook toward life? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Madeleine and M. Jouy share a relationship that is both shocking and inappropriate for a girl her age. The girls in town find it amusing to fondle M. Jouy, they make a game out of it. When Madeleine joins in, she finds her time with M. Jouy to be entrancing. After M. Jouy is taken away and Madeleine is punished by Mother, he sends her drawings. Write an essay explaining why M. Jouy's attentions are for Madeleine and not the other girls in the village. How does Mother use his feelings later on in the story for her own purposes? Is Madeleine ever aware of her mother's intentions? Use examples from the book to support your argument.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)