|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does M. Pujol not want to leave behind when he departs the gypsies?
2. In M. Pujol's story, what type of fish is eating all of the other fish in the pond?
3. What does Claude see when he spies on the girls while they are playing their Madeleine game?
4. What happened to the fish in the widow's pond after it was struck by lightning?
5. The mayor is what kind of father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hugh?
2. What does Madeleine see M. Pujol and Adiren doing when she is hiding behind the curtain?
3. For what reasons does Adrien want to change the name of M. Pujol's photograph from Stupefaction to Revulsion?
4. How does M. Pujol feel about being paddled by Madeleine?
5. Why does the Mayor think his youngest daughter has unusual, childish hands?
6. Why does Madeleine gather gravel to drop on top of M. Pujol's caravan?
7. Describe Adrien's best efforts to scare the patient he is supposed to photograph for his piece entitled "Terror!"
8. List some of the rules Beatrice made up for playing "The Madeleine Game."
9. How does M. Pujol feel about the people showering his caravan with gravel?
10. Why does Madeleine insist that it is not her in the picture paddling M. Pujol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mother makes many questionable parenting decisions throughout Madeleine is Sleeping. When she sends her children to break M. Jouy from the hospital, she does not think of their well being. Her plan is to simply free him so that he and Madeleine can be married. Write an essay on whether or not Mother is a fitting parent. Are the decisions she makes for her children good ones? Does she think about the what consequences her actions might lead to? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Madeleine dreams of many fantastical people. How is each character unique in their own way? What purpose do the characters serve throughout the story? How would the story be different if all of the characters in it were normal and not fantastic in some way? Be sure the provide examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Madeleine's father is rarely mentioned or seen throughout the story. From what we know of him, he is a man who works hard, once loved his wife, and lives a life overrun by children. Write an essay detailing why Madeleine's father scarcely appears in Madeleine is Sleeping. Which characters interact with him the most? What is learned from the conversations he does hold with others? Why does Mother think that he no longer loves her? Be sure the provide examples to support your opinions.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)