|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who acts rudely to Mother when she goes to their house with a gift of preserves?
2. What is the name of the hospital M. Pujol has gone to?
3. What is the title of Adrien's first photograph for The Director?
4. Who does M. Pujol see quarreling behind the bushes?
5. Who does Madeleine think M. Pujol looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Adrien's best efforts to scare the patient he is supposed to photograph for his piece entitled "Terror!"
2. How does the widow feel when she sees Madeleine and Adrien tangled together beneath the bushes?
3. Why does the Mayor think his youngest daughter has unusual, childish hands?
4. Who is Hugh?
5. Why does Madeleine get upset when she is compared to the Abbott who tortured Saint Michel?
6. How does the Mayor and his eldest daughter treat Mother when she visits their house? Why?
7. Describe Mother's plan to break M. Jouy out of the hospital.
8. Why does Madeleine gather gravel to drop on top of M. Pujol's caravan?
9. How does M. Pujol feel about being paddled by Madeleine?
10. For what reasons does Adrien want to change the name of M. Pujol's photograph from Stupefaction to Revulsion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Matilda becomes a very important character toward the end of the story. Only with her help is Madeleine redeemed in the eyes of her friends, neighbors, and family. In a way, she acts as Madeleine's guardian angel. Write an essay explaining how Matilda helps redeem Madeleine. What does she do to change the opinions of the people in the audience? What tool does she use to help her with her task? Is Madeleine ever aware of Matilda's presence after she falls asleep on stage? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
When Madeleine first meets up with the gypsies, she is disappointed that their camp is not what she envisioned it to be. In her eyes, the camp should have been colorful, fantastic, and not nearly so tidy. Write an essay detailing the first days Madeleine is with the gypsies. Who does she meet? What else about the gypsies is unusual or different from what she expected? Make sure to use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the story, Madeleine makes a fool of herself. She also horrifies her audience when her hands change back to their disfigured state. Despite her best efforts, she is unable to convince them verbally that she is special. She is forced to submit to the stares of pity they rain down upon her. Write an essay giving reason to the actions Madeleine takes after the audience shuns her. Why does she lay down on the stage? How does closing her eyes and falling asleep restore some semblance of respectability and innocence to her? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)