|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who must take naps in the afternoon due to sleeping poorly at night?
2. What about M. Pujol surprises Adrien when he sees him at the hospital?
3. Who does M. Pujol not want to leave behind when he departs the gypsies?
4. Who was hiding in the reeds while M. Pujol told his story about the widow's pond?
5. Who does Madeleine think M. Pujol looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the widow feel when she sees Madeleine and Adrien tangled together beneath the bushes?
2. How do Sophie and Beatrice communicate in code while in church?
3. Describe Adrien's best efforts to scare the patient he is supposed to photograph for his piece entitled "Terror!"
4. Why does Madeleine get upset when she is compared to the Abbott who tortured Saint Michel?
5. For what reasons does Adrien want to change the name of M. Pujol's photograph from Stupefaction to Revulsion?
6. Why does Madeleine insist that it is not her in the picture paddling M. Pujol?
7. How does M. Pujol feel about being paddled by Madeleine?
8. Why does Adrien join Madeleine in showering M. Pujol's caravan with gravel?
9. Why does Madeleine gather gravel to drop on top of M. Pujol's caravan?
10. Who is Hugh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toward the end of the story, Madeleine makes a fool of herself. She also horrifies her audience when her hands change back to their disfigured state. Despite her best efforts, she is unable to convince them verbally that she is special. She is forced to submit to the stares of pity they rain down upon her. Write an essay giving reason to the actions Madeleine takes after the audience shuns her. Why does she lay down on the stage? How does closing her eyes and falling asleep restore some semblance of respectability and innocence to her? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Mother is a character who is portrayed as being fairly strict and loving, but also entrepreneurial. Throughout the story, she sees her preserve business bloom, thrive, and then suffer. The opinions of the people in town coincide with the phases of her business. Write an essay exploring the reasons behind why Mother's business suffers as the opinion of the townspeople regarding her, change. How does the mayor treat her when she shows up at his home? Who does Mother blame for her fall from financial grace? Use examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
A love triangle is formed between Madeleine, M. Pujol, and Adrien. Both Madeleine and Adrien love M. Pujol. They turn to each other at times of frustration, and even begin a sexual relationship.Write an essay exploring the love triangle between Madeleine, M. Pujol, and Adrien. Why do Madeleine and Adrien have a sexual relationship when they both love M. Pujol and not each other? Is M. Pujol ever aware of the relationship Madeleine and Adrien share? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)