|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Adrien's first photograph for The Director?
2. Who does Madeleine realize she loves?
3. Who is Emma?
4. Where are the girl's found after they go missing from the village?
5. How does the matron of the hospital feel about M. Jouy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Madeleine see M. Pujol and Adiren doing when she is hiding behind the curtain?
2. Why does Adrien join Madeleine in showering M. Pujol's caravan with gravel?
3. Why does Madeleine get upset when she is compared to the Abbott who tortured Saint Michel?
4. How do Sophie and Beatrice communicate in code while in church?
5. Why does Madeleine insist that it is not her in the picture paddling M. Pujol?
6. How does the Mayor and his eldest daughter treat Mother when she visits their house? Why?
7. Why do Madeleine and Adrien travel to the Institute for the Study of Aberrant Behaviors and Conditions? Who is there?
8. Why does M. Pujol tell Madeleine the story of the widow and the carp?
9. Describe Mother's plan to break M. Jouy out of the hospital.
10. How does M. Pujol feel about being paddled by Madeleine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mother makes many questionable parenting decisions throughout Madeleine is Sleeping. When she sends her children to break M. Jouy from the hospital, she does not think of their well being. Her plan is to simply free him so that he and Madeleine can be married. Write an essay on whether or not Mother is a fitting parent. Are the decisions she makes for her children good ones? Does she think about the what consequences her actions might lead to? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Madeleine dreams of many fantastical people. How is each character unique in their own way? What purpose do the characters serve throughout the story? How would the story be different if all of the characters in it were normal and not fantastic in some way? Be sure the provide examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Matilda becomes a very important character toward the end of the story. Only with her help is Madeleine redeemed in the eyes of her friends, neighbors, and family. In a way, she acts as Madeleine's guardian angel. Write an essay explaining how Matilda helps redeem Madeleine. What does she do to change the opinions of the people in the audience? What tool does she use to help her with her task? Is Madeleine ever aware of Matilda's presence after she falls asleep on stage? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)