|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Adrien's first photograph for The Director?
2. The mayor is what kind of father?
3. What is the name of M. Pujol's past love who attended sixteen of his performances?
4. Mother used to stop sewing to do what for Madeleine when she put her head in her lap?
5. Who objects to Mother's marriage prospect for Madeleine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Madeleine see M. Pujol and Adiren doing when she is hiding behind the curtain?
2. Why do Madeleine and Adrien travel to the Institute for the Study of Aberrant Behaviors and Conditions? Who is there?
3. Why does M. Pujol tell Madeleine the story of the widow and the carp?
4. How does the widow feel when she sees Madeleine and Adrien tangled together beneath the bushes?
5. Why does the Mayor think his youngest daughter has unusual, childish hands?
6. List some of the rules Beatrice made up for playing "The Madeleine Game."
7. Why does Mother blame Madeleine for her troubles with the town's people?
8. Who is Hugh?
9. For what reasons does Adrien want to change the name of M. Pujol's photograph from Stupefaction to Revulsion?
10. How do Sophie and Beatrice communicate in code while in church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Age is a fleeting and ambiguous thing in Madeleine is Sleeping. Mother wishes to have her youth back. Madeleine acts in ways that are perhaps inappropriate for someone so young. Write an essay focusing on how age plays an important role in the story. How are relationships developed or complicated by age? How old is Madeleine? Is she a girl or a young woman? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
When Madeleine first meets up with the gypsies, she is disappointed that their camp is not what she envisioned it to be. In her eyes, the camp should have been colorful, fantastic, and not nearly so tidy. Write an essay detailing the first days Madeleine is with the gypsies. Who does she meet? What else about the gypsies is unusual or different from what she expected? Make sure to use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
When Madeleine decides to build a stage, she becomes single minded about it. She is unconcerned about how difficult or time consuming the task might be. All she wants is for M. Pujol to have somewhere to perform. Write an essay explaining whether Madeleine's expectations for building a stage are realistic or unrealistic. Is she being reasonable by thinking that she can take on such a monumental project by herself? What does Adrien think of her task? Use examples from the book to support your argument.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)