|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matilda say her droppings smell like?
2. Why does Papa grow impatient at his orchard?
3. Who comes to kiss Madeleine?
4. What does the gypsy mama use to cut apart Madeleine's dress?
5. Who from Madeleine's household climbs the trellis of the house to meet Matilda as she arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does M. Pujol feel about posing for the old widow?
2. Why does Jean-Luc climb the trellis attached to his house?
3. Why did Saint Michel wish to be beaten and punished?
4. Who commissions the viol and why?
5. How does Charlotte feel about the viol?
6. Describe the physical attributes of Matilda. What is so special about her?
7. What types of things does Matilda record in her diary?
8. Why does M. Pujol cry and make mournful sounds in his sleep?
9. Who is M. Pujol?
10. Why does Mother plunge Madeleine's hands into a pot of boiling lye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Age is a fleeting and ambiguous thing in Madeleine is Sleeping. Mother wishes to have her youth back. Madeleine acts in ways that are perhaps inappropriate for someone so young. Write an essay focusing on how age plays an important role in the story. How are relationships developed or complicated by age? How old is Madeleine? Is she a girl or a young woman? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Mother is a character who is portrayed as being fairly strict and loving, but also entrepreneurial. Throughout the story, she sees her preserve business bloom, thrive, and then suffer. The opinions of the people in town coincide with the phases of her business. Write an essay exploring the reasons behind why Mother's business suffers as the opinion of the townspeople regarding her, change. How does the mayor treat her when she shows up at his home? Who does Mother blame for her fall from financial grace? Use examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Madeleine's brothers and sisters play important roles in Madeleine is Sleeping. Beatrice is the eldest and therefore the other children listen to her. Jean-Luc is playful and Claude is mischievous. Write an essay detailing how each of Madeleine's siblings have characteristics that are important to the story. How do they help move the plot forward in scenes where Madeleine is absent? In what ways do they help Mother during times of duress? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)