|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who orders a new viol?
2. What does Charlotte take from the viol before she flees the estate?
3. What does Matilda record her scientific observations in?
4. How does Madeline let her siblings know she has run away with gypsies?
5. What punishment does Madeleine receive for playing her game with M. Jouy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does M. Pujol cry and make mournful sounds in his sleep?
2. How does M. Pujol feel about posing for the old widow?
3. How does Charlotte feel about the viol?
4. Who is M. Pujol?
5. What does Mother do with all of the fruit Madeleine dreams up?
6. How does Madeleine feel about M. Pujol by the end of Part One?
7. Why did Saint Michel wish to be beaten and punished?
8. Describe the physical attributes of Matilda. What is so special about her?
9. Why does Mother plunge Madeleine's hands into a pot of boiling lye?
10. Who is Marguerite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Matilda becomes a very important character toward the end of the story. Only with her help is Madeleine redeemed in the eyes of her friends, neighbors, and family. In a way, she acts as Madeleine's guardian angel. Write an essay explaining how Matilda helps redeem Madeleine. What does she do to change the opinions of the people in the audience? What tool does she use to help her with her task? Is Madeleine ever aware of Matilda's presence after she falls asleep on stage? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Mother makes many questionable parenting decisions throughout Madeleine is Sleeping. When she sends her children to break M. Jouy from the hospital, she does not think of their well being. Her plan is to simply free him so that he and Madeleine can be married. Write an essay on whether or not Mother is a fitting parent. Are the decisions she makes for her children good ones? Does she think about the what consequences her actions might lead to? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Madeleine's brothers and sisters play important roles in Madeleine is Sleeping. Beatrice is the eldest and therefore the other children listen to her. Jean-Luc is playful and Claude is mischievous. Write an essay detailing how each of Madeleine's siblings have characteristics that are important to the story. How do they help move the plot forward in scenes where Madeleine is absent? In what ways do they help Mother during times of duress? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)