|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession is M. Marais?
2. What does Mother use to line her pots of preserves?
3. How did M. Pujol gain his gift?
4. Who cleans up Madeleine when she menstruates?
5. Who orders a new viol?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the physical attributes of Matilda. What is so special about her?
2. Why does the gypsy troupe begin to despair about their current situation? How is this remedied?
3. How does Madeleine get separated from the girls at the convent?
4. How does Madeleine feels about her impairment when she is in the convent in Paris?
5. Who is Madeleine?
6. Why does Jean-Luc climb the trellis attached to his house?
7. What types of things does Matilda record in her diary?
8. How did M. Pujol lose his place on stage? Who replaced him?
9. Why does M. Pujol cry and make mournful sounds in his sleep?
10. How does M. Pujol feel about posing for the old widow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Madeleine first meets up with the gypsies, she is disappointed that their camp is not what she envisioned it to be. In her eyes, the camp should have been colorful, fantastic, and not nearly so tidy. Write an essay detailing the first days Madeleine is with the gypsies. Who does she meet? What else about the gypsies is unusual or different from what she expected? Make sure to use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Age is a fleeting and ambiguous thing in Madeleine is Sleeping. Mother wishes to have her youth back. Madeleine acts in ways that are perhaps inappropriate for someone so young. Write an essay focusing on how age plays an important role in the story. How are relationships developed or complicated by age? How old is Madeleine? Is she a girl or a young woman? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
When M. Pujol decides to donate his body to science, he leaves the widow's estate. Despite Adrien and Madeleine's best efforts, he is resistant to doing anything else. Write an essay explaining why M. Pujol decides to donate his body to science. What does he think he will accomplish by being cut open and examined? Why would he rather go under the knife instead of running away with Adrien and Madeleine? What does this tell the reader about M. Pujol's disposition and outlook toward life? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)