|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Madeleine not peel the fruit M. Pujol gives her?
(a) Her hands are not nimble enough.
(b) She does not know how.
(c) Her teeth are too brittle.
(d) She lacks the proper tool.
2. What declaration does Madeleine make of the widow one night?
(a) That she is wise.
(b) That she is blind.
(c) That she is stupid.
(d) That she is deaf.
3. The walls of the widow's chamber are the color of what?
4. What does Claude see when he spies on the girls while they are playing their Madeleine game?
(a) Long flowing hair.
(b) Bare feet and toes.
(c) Naked hands and fingers.
(d) Skin and a belly button.
5. How is Madeleine dressed during the photography sessions?
(a) In a sheer slip.
(b) In frilly dresses and bows.
(c) In simple peasant clothing.
(d) In dark gowns and beads.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madeline use to emulate the sound of rain on M. Pujol's caravan?
2. What does Madeleine do to the person who comes to help her emulate rain?
3. Who does Madeleine find stuck up in a tree?
4. What type of fruit does M. Pujol offer Madeleine when he sees her standing outside in the sunlight?
5. Who objects to Mother's marriage prospect for Madeleine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mayor and his eldest daughter treat Mother when she visits their house? Why?
2. Why does M. Pujol tell Madeleine the story of the widow and the carp?
3. How does M. Pujol feel about the people showering his caravan with gravel?
4. Why do Madeleine and Adrien travel to the Institute for the Study of Aberrant Behaviors and Conditions? Who is there?
5. Why does Madeleine gather gravel to drop on top of M. Pujol's caravan?
6. How does the widow feel when she sees Madeleine and Adrien tangled together beneath the bushes?
7. Why does Madeleine's sleeping form begin to develop bruises?
8. Why does Adrien join Madeleine in showering M. Pujol's caravan with gravel?
9. How do Sophie and Beatrice communicate in code while in church?
10. Why does Madeleine insist that it is not her in the picture paddling M. Pujol?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)