|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlotte wish she had?
2. What punishment does Madeleine receive for playing her game with M. Jouy?
(a) Her feet are scalded with a hot poker.
(b) Her hands are thrust into a pot of boiling lye.
(c) Her hair is cut very short.
(d) Her fingers are cut off.
3. Where does Marguerite travel and sing in?
(b) South America.
(c) North America.
4. Madeleine says her hand looks like what after it has healed?
(a) A paddle.
(b) A plate.
(c) A scallop.
(d) A serving dish.
5. Who orders a new viol?
(b) M. Marais.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madeleine grip and fondle in her dream?
2. Who tells Madeleine to watch M. Jouy's face when it crumples?
3. What is wrong with M. Jouy?
4. What is revealed after the ball of string has been unraveled?
5. Who from Madeleine's household climbs the trellis of the house to meet Matilda as she arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of things does Matilda record in her diary?
2. How does Madeleine feels about her impairment when she is in the convent in Paris?
3. Who is M. Pujol?
4. Why did Saint Michel wish to be beaten and punished?
5. How does Madeleine feel about M. Pujol by the end of Part One?
6. How does Madeleine get separated from the girls at the convent?
7. Why is Madeleine disappointed in the gypsy camp?
8. Why does Mother plunge Madeleine's hands into a pot of boiling lye?
9. Who is Madeleine?
10. Who is Marguerite?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)