|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does M. Pujol not want to leave behind when he departs the gypsies?
(a) The widow.
2. What does Claude see when he spies on the girls while they are playing their Madeleine game?
(a) Long flowing hair.
(b) Naked hands and fingers.
(c) Skin and a belly button.
(d) Bare feet and toes.
3. How does Madeleine feel when she sees the person caressing M. Pujol?
4. Who does Madeleine see tenderly fixing M. Pujol's tie and caressing his face?
(d) The widow.
5. In M. Pujol's story, what type of fish is eating all of the other fish in the pond?
(a) A carp.
(b) A gar.
(c) A catfish.
(d) A beta.
6. Who reveals to Madeline where M. Pujol has gone to?
7. What about M. Pujol surprises Adrien when he sees him at the hospital?
(a) His mustache has been shaved off.
(b) His hair has been cut too short.
(c) His clothing is in disarray.
(d) His posture has become bent.
8. Who does Mother use to break M. Jouy out of the hospital?
(a) The beggars of town.
(b) No one, she did it solo.
(c) Her children.
(d) The neighbors.
9. What happened to the fish in the widow's pond after it was struck by lightning?
(a) It was electrified.
(b) It was turned black.
(c) It was killed.
(d) It was drained of color.
10. Why does Mother's preserve business begin to struggle?
(a) The people of town have all moved away.
(b) The women of town have turned against her.
(c) The women of town have opened their own businesses.
(d) The people of town are tired of her preseves.
11. Who objects to Mother's marriage prospect for Madeleine?
12. What is the name of M. Pujol's past love who attended sixteen of his performances?
13. What attitude does the widow have toward Madeleine when she takes her into her chamber?
14. How does the matron of the hospital feel about M. Jouy?
(a) She feels disgusted.
(b) She feels sorry for the insane man.
(c) She feels confused about him.
(d) She feels that he may have a bit of sanity left in him.
15. Who does Mother point to as the source of her trouble?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Emma's fingers?
2. The mayor is what kind of father?
3. Who comes to help Madeleine emulate the sound of rain on M. Pujol's caravan?
4. Who was hiding in the reeds while M. Pujol told his story about the widow's pond?
5. What does M. Pujol plan on doing after he leaves the widow and the gypsies?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)