|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hospital M. Pujol has gone to?
(a) The Hospital for the Weak and Feeble.
(b) The Hospital for the Insane and Unstable.
(c) The Institute for the Study of Abherrant Behaviors and Conditions.
(d) The Institute of Mental Health and Life.
2. Who is Emma?
(a) The mayor's cousin.
(b) The mayor's sister.
(c) The mayor's daughter.
(d) The mayor's wife.
3. Which objects do Beatrice and Sophie use to communicate secretly while in church?
(a) Their prayer books.
(b) Their shoes.
(c) Their socks.
(d) Their hymn books.
4. Where are the girl's found after they go missing from the village?
(a) In a field.
(b) In a barn.
(c) In a bakery.
(d) In an abandoned shack.
5. Who makes up the rules about visiting Madeleine while she is sleeping?
6. Who suffers the most from Adrien's clumsiness?
(c) M. Pujol.
7. Who does Mother point to as the source of her trouble?
8. How is Madeleine dressed during the photography sessions?
(a) In dark gowns and beads.
(b) In simple peasant clothing.
(c) In a sheer slip.
(d) In frilly dresses and bows.
9. How do Jean-Luc and the boys in town act out and create a ruckus?
(a) They run away from home hooting and hollering.
(b) They picks cherries from the neighbor's tree.
(c) They steal pots and pans and make noise with them.
(d) They storm town hall and assault the mayor.
10. What is one of the ways Madeleine imagines escaping the hospital?
(a) Escape by tunnel.
(b) Escape by catapult.
(c) Escape by costume.
(d) Escape by violence.
11. Why can Madeleine not peel the fruit M. Pujol gives her?
(a) Her teeth are too brittle.
(b) Her hands are not nimble enough.
(c) She does not know how.
(d) She lacks the proper tool.
12. What about M. Pujol surprises Adrien when he sees him at the hospital?
(a) His hair has been cut too short.
(b) His mustache has been shaved off.
(c) His posture has become bent.
(d) His clothing is in disarray.
13. Who acts rudely to Mother when she goes to their house with a gift of preserves?
(a) The abbot at church.
(b) The mayor and his eldest daughter.
(c) The poor family down the road.
(d) The next door neighbor.
14. Who does the widow see tangled together beneath the bushes?
(a) Madeleine and Adrien.
(b) Charlotte and Adrien.
(c) M. Pujol and Adrien.
(d) Marguerite and Adrien.
15. What begins to appear on Madeleine's skin?
(c) Bug bites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to help Madeleine emulate the sound of rain on M. Pujol's caravan?
2. Which three words occur to Madeleine while she is conferring with Adrien about M. Pujol?
3. What happened to M. Pujol's past love that separated the two?
4. What happened to the fish in the widow's pond after it was struck by lightning?
5. What attitude does the widow have toward Madeleine when she takes her into her chamber?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)