|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Beatrice and Mimi?
(a) Two beggar children from town.
(b) Madeleine's friends.
(c) Madeleine's sisters.
(d) Madeleine's cousins.
2. Who is Matilda?
(a) The fat woman who lives in the village.
(b) The whore who lives in the village.
(c) The poor woman who lives in the village.
(d) The rich woman who lives in the village.
3. Why is Madeleine disappointed with the gypsy camp?
(a) The camp is too small.
(b) The camp is too clean.
(c) The camp is too large.
(d) The camp is too messy.
4. Why does Papa grow impatient at his orchard?
(a) The wrong fruit falls to the ground.
(b) Not enough fruit falls to the ground.
(c) Bugs litter the ground.
(d) Too much fruit litters the ground.
5. Madeleine wants to become which of the following?
(a) A fire eater.
(b) A tumbler.
(c) A dancer.
(d) A clown.
6. What does Mother do with all of the excess fruit from the orchard?
(a) She throws the fruit away.
(b) She turns the fruit into jam and bathes in it.
(c) She sells the fruit for a good profit.
(d) She makes preserves, pastries, and apple butter.
7. What profession is M. Marais?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A minister.
(c) A musician.
(d) A painter.
8. Who does Charlotte marry?
(a) No one.
(b) M. Pujol.
(d) M. Marais.
9. Why is Charlotte sad as she plays along with M. Pujol's cries during the night?
(a) She misses her husband.
(b) She misses her father.
(c) She misses her home.
(d) She misses her viol.
10. What object does Charlotte use to spy on M. Marais while he is undressing?
(a) A window.
(b) A keyhole.
(c) A peephole.
(d) A pipe.
11. Who picks Madeleine out from the crowd and wraps her in string?
12. What does Charlotte wish she had?
13. What toys does Matilda agree to retrieve?
(d) Hoola Hoops.
14. Who does Madeleine tell about her game with M. Jouy?
(a) Her siblings.
15. How many girls live in the convent in Paris Madeleine dreams of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother use to line her pots of preserves?
2. Which saint does Madeleine dream of?
3. Who cleans up Madeleine when she menstruates?
4. Who does Mother ask for help from when trying to decipher Madeleine's behavior?
5. What do the hearts of the congregation turn into when Madeleine touches and blows on them?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)