|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What toys does Matilda agree to retrieve?
(a) Hoola Hoops.
2. What name is given to the viol?
3. Who comes to kiss Madeleine?
(a) A handsome man.
(b) M. Pujol.
(d) A boy from town.
4. Madeleine says her hand looks like what after it has healed?
(a) A plate.
(b) A paddle.
(c) A scallop.
(d) A serving dish.
5. What does Mother say about scars?
(a) That they make a person wise.
(b) That they are remembrances.
(c) That they are ugly.
(d) That they are beautiful.
6. What profession is M. Marais?
(a) A musician.
(b) A painter.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A minister.
7. Who does Mother ask for help from when trying to decipher Madeleine's behavior?
(a) M. Pujol.
8. Who becomes Charlotte's only friend?
(a) The viol.
(b) M. Marais.
9. How does Madeleine feel about her helplessness?
(a) She enjoys it.
(b) She hates it.
(c) She is neutral.
(d) She is sad.
10. Who is Matilda?
(a) The fat woman who lives in the village.
(b) The poor woman who lives in the village.
(c) The rich woman who lives in the village.
(d) The whore who lives in the village.
11. What is Mother's heirloom?
(a) A hand mirror.
(b) A bone comb.
(c) A soft tunic.
(d) A pair of glasses.
12. What is wrong with M. Jouy?
(a) He is a half-wit.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is sick.
13. What punishment does Madeleine receive for playing her game with M. Jouy?
(a) Her fingers are cut off.
(b) Her hands are thrust into a pot of boiling lye.
(c) Her hair is cut very short.
(d) Her feet are scalded with a hot poker.
14. How does Madeline let her siblings know she has run away with gypsies?
(a) She sends Matilda to tell them.
(b) She writes them a secret letter in lemon juice.
(c) She does not tell them.
(d) She leaves them a note on a piece of fruit.
15. How does Madeleine feel when she sees her newly finished dresses?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did M. Pujol gain his gift?
2. Who is Adrien?
3. Why is Charlotte sad as she plays along with M. Pujol's cries during the night?
4. Why is Madeleine disappointed with the gypsy camp?
5. What does Matilda grow on her back?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)