|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who picks Madeleine out from the crowd and wraps her in string?
2. Who becomes Charlotte's only friend?
(a) M. Marais.
(c) The viol.
3. Who does Madeleine tell about her game with M. Jouy?
(a) Her siblings.
4. How does Madeleine feel about her helplessness?
(a) She is neutral.
(b) She is sad.
(c) She enjoys it.
(d) She hates it.
5. What does Mother say about scars?
(a) That they make a person wise.
(b) That they are ugly.
(c) That they are beautiful.
(d) That they are remembrances.
6. Who is Madeleine?
(a) A young girl who has many brothers and sisters.
(b) A child who is lost in the woods.
(c) A woman who sings for money.
(d) A woman who flies.
7. Why is Charlotte sad as she plays along with M. Pujol's cries during the night?
(a) She misses her home.
(b) She misses her father.
(c) She misses her husband.
(d) She misses her viol.
8. Who is Matilda?
(a) The whore who lives in the village.
(b) The poor woman who lives in the village.
(c) The rich woman who lives in the village.
(d) The fat woman who lives in the village.
9. What does Charlotte take from the viol before she flees the estate?
(a) A string.
(b) A peg.
(c) A piece of the wood.
10. What punishment does Madeleine receive for playing her game with M. Jouy?
(a) Her feet are scalded with a hot poker.
(b) Her hands are thrust into a pot of boiling lye.
(c) Her fingers are cut off.
(d) Her hair is cut very short.
11. What does Mother do with all of the excess fruit from the orchard?
(a) She makes preserves, pastries, and apple butter.
(b) She throws the fruit away.
(c) She sells the fruit for a good profit.
(d) She turns the fruit into jam and bathes in it.
12. What does the gypsy mama use to cut apart Madeleine's dress?
(a) A pair of shears.
(b) A knife.
(c) A razor.
(d) A piece of glass.
13. What gift does M. Jouy give to Madeleine on Christmas Day?
(c) Door knobs.
14. Why is Madeleine disappointed with the gypsy camp?
(a) The camp is too small.
(b) The camp is too large.
(c) The camp is too messy.
(d) The camp is too clean.
15. Why does Papa grow impatient at his orchard?
(a) Too much fruit litters the ground.
(b) Not enough fruit falls to the ground.
(c) Bugs litter the ground.
(d) The wrong fruit falls to the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. What toys does Matilda agree to retrieve?
2. What do the hearts of the congregation turn into when Madeleine touches and blows on them?
3. How does Marguerite feel about being replaced?
4. What does Matilda say her droppings smell like?
5. What do the children in town throw at Matilda as she passes?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)