|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother wish she was slim and childless?
(a) So she could be a model.
(b) So she could date men.
(c) So her husband would love her again.
(d) So she could be free.
2. How does Madeleine feel about her helplessness?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She enjoys it.
(c) She hates it.
(d) She is neutral.
3. What do the hearts of the congregation turn into when Madeleine touches and blows on them?
4. Mother says that only a saint's bones can smell like what?
5. Who does Charlotte marry?
(a) No one.
(c) M. Marais.
(d) M. Pujol.
6. What object does Charlotte use to spy on M. Marais while he is undressing?
(a) A window.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A peephole.
(d) A keyhole.
7. What toys does Matilda agree to retrieve?
(b) Hoola Hoops.
8. What does Matilda say her droppings smell like?
9. Who orders a new viol?
(b) M. Marais.
10. Who is Marguerite?
(a) A jazz musician.
(b) A pianist.
(c) A singer.
(d) A composer.
11. Who cleans up Madeleine when she menstruates?
12. How does Madeleine feel when she sees her newly finished dresses?
13. Who are Beatrice and Mimi?
(a) Madeleine's friends.
(b) Madeleine's cousins.
(c) Two beggar children from town.
(d) Madeleine's sisters.
14. What is revealed after the ball of string has been unraveled?
(a) Madeleine has disappeared.
(b) Madeleine has grown.
(c) Madeleine has shrunken.
(d) Madeleline is the same.
15. What does Mother do with all of the excess fruit from the orchard?
(a) She sells the fruit for a good profit.
(b) She throws the fruit away.
(c) She turns the fruit into jam and bathes in it.
(d) She makes preserves, pastries, and apple butter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mother ask for help from when trying to decipher Madeleine's behavior?
2. How does Marguerite feel about being replaced?
3. Madeleine looks beautiful while she is doing what?
4. Madeleine says her hand looks like what after it has healed?
5. Who usurps Marguerite from her place in the spotlight performing?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)