|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matilda record her scientific observations in?
(a) Her diary.
(b) Her shoe inserts.
(c) Her scroll.
(d) Her fat rolls.
2. Who is Mother?
(a) M. Pujol's mother.
(b) No one's mother.
(c) Madeleine's mother.
(d) Matilda's mother.
3. What punishment does Madeleine receive for playing her game with M. Jouy?
(a) Her feet are scalded with a hot poker.
(b) Her hands are thrust into a pot of boiling lye.
(c) Her hair is cut very short.
(d) Her fingers are cut off.
4. Which saint does Madeleine dream of?
(a) Saint Anthony.
(b) Saint James.
(c) Saint Michel.
(d) Saint Macarius.
5. Madeleine wants to become which of the following?
(a) A dancer.
(b) A clown.
(c) A tumbler.
(d) A fire eater.
6. How does Madeline let her siblings know she has run away with gypsies?
(a) She writes them a secret letter in lemon juice.
(b) She sends Matilda to tell them.
(c) She leaves them a note on a piece of fruit.
(d) She does not tell them.
7. Who tells Madeleine to watch M. Jouy's face when it crumples?
8. What does Mother say about scars?
(a) That they make a person wise.
(b) That they are ugly.
(c) That they are beautiful.
(d) That they are remembrances.
9. What do the cows give when Madeleine sleeps?
(a) Sour milk.
(c) Double milk.
(d) Watery milk.
10. Why does Mother wish she was slim and childless?
(a) So she could be free.
(b) So she could date men.
(c) So her husband would love her again.
(d) So she could be a model.
11. What does Mother do with all of the excess fruit from the orchard?
(a) She throws the fruit away.
(b) She sells the fruit for a good profit.
(c) She makes preserves, pastries, and apple butter.
(d) She turns the fruit into jam and bathes in it.
12. How does Madeleine feel when she sees her newly finished dresses?
13. How does Madeleine feel about her helplessness?
(a) She hates it.
(b) She enjoys it.
(c) She is neutral.
(d) She is sad.
14. What does Mother use to line her pots of preserves?
(a) Wrapping paper.
(d) Tissue paper.
15. How did M. Pujol gain his gift?
(a) From a hiking accident.
(b) From a biking accident.
(c) From a falling accident.
(d) From a swimming accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the gypsy mama use to cut apart Madeleine's dress?
2. Who usurps Marguerite from her place in the spotlight performing?
3. Who names the viol?
4. Why is Madeleine disappointed with the gypsy camp?
5. What toys does Matilda agree to retrieve?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)