|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Madeleine wants to become which of the following?
(a) A fire eater.
(b) A tumbler.
(c) A clown.
(d) A dancer.
2. What does the gypsy mama use to cut apart Madeleine's dress?
(a) A piece of glass.
(b) A pair of shears.
(c) A razor.
(d) A knife.
3. Who are Beatrice and Mimi?
(a) Madeleine's friends.
(b) Madeleine's cousins.
(c) Two beggar children from town.
(d) Madeleine's sisters.
4. Who is Madeleine?
(a) A child who is lost in the woods.
(b) A woman who flies.
(c) A woman who sings for money.
(d) A young girl who has many brothers and sisters.
5. What punishment does Madeleine receive for playing her game with M. Jouy?
(a) Her fingers are cut off.
(b) Her hair is cut very short.
(c) Her feet are scalded with a hot poker.
(d) Her hands are thrust into a pot of boiling lye.
6. Who does Charlotte marry?
(a) M. Pujol.
(b) No one.
(c) M. Marais.
7. Who is Marguerite?
(a) A jazz musician.
(b) A composer.
(c) A singer.
(d) A pianist.
8. What does Matilda grow on her back?
(a) A tail.
(b) A line of spikes.
(c) A set of wings.
(d) An extra arm.
9. Who tells Madeleine to watch M. Jouy's face when it crumples?
10. What do the cows give when Madeleine sleeps?
(a) Double milk.
(b) Sour milk.
(c) Watery milk.
11. What does Matilda say her droppings smell like?
12. What is wrong with M. Jouy?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He is a half-wit.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is sick.
13. Which character suffers from nightmares?
(a) M. Pujol.
14. What is Mother's heirloom?
(a) A bone comb.
(b) A pair of glasses.
(c) A soft tunic.
(d) A hand mirror.
15. How many girls live in the convent in Paris Madeleine dreams of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother wish she was slim and childless?
2. What name is given to the viol?
3. Who does Madeleine tell about her game with M. Jouy?
4. What does Matilda record her scientific observations in?
5. How does Madeleine feel about her helplessness?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)