|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Marie come to as the Germans continue to advance?
2. Why does Pierre take a position at the P.C.N.?
3. What is the one problem with the house in Sceaux?
4. What obscured Pierre's vision?
5. Which is the most accurate description of the manner in which Pierre is walking on the day he died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of patriotism developed throughout the novel? In what ways does Marie demonstrate patriotism? Do you think this is a strength or weakness of Marie? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of poverty described and developed throughout the novel? Do you feel that Marie ever overcomes true poverty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Curies believed that their discoveries belonged to all of humanity. Do you agree with their decisions? Why or why not? Do you think modern scientists are as selfless as Marie? Why or why not?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)