|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
2. Which of the following areas best describes why Manya feels so depressed?
3. What does Manya indicate she feels for the first time when her father sends her to the country as a reward?
4. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
5. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the money that Pierre receives allow Pierre to do and what does the publicity bring Marie and Pierre?
2. What does a typical day look like for Manya at this point in her life?
3. What seems to be intruding on the Polish schools and in what way have things changed?
4. What causes Pierre to not get the post as a professor at the Sorbonne?
5. What happens when Marie is told that Pierre has been killed?
6. What do the students at Marie's school do that could be considered dangerous?
7. What killed Marie?
8. What does Marie have to do on a regular basis?
9. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
10. What does Monsieur Sklodovska represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Marie chose Paris over Warsaw. Do you think this was a good choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Manya's life change as she moved to Paris? Why do you think she changed her name at this point? Do you think changing from Manya to Marie was critical? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Some identify that Marie was a great woman more than a figure. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Do you believe her gender is important? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)