|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
2. What does Marie eat regularly?
3. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
4. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
5. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Marie's plans after she passes her examinations and how do her plans change?
2. What does Monsieur Sklodovska represent?
3. What has happened to Marie's health and what caused these effects?
4. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
5. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
6. What happens as Marie goes to the lab to work every morning?
7. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
8. What is the history for Monsieur and Madame Sklodovska and how is their life currently?
9. What discovery does Pierre make about radium and what is this discovery called?
10. Who influences Manya and in what ways does he influence her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Marie change after Pierre died? How did his death affect the family? What allowed Marie to move on after Pierre's death?
Essay Topic 2
Some identify that Marie was a great woman more than a figure. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Do you believe her gender is important? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did Manya's life change as she moved to Paris? Why do you think she changed her name at this point? Do you think changing from Manya to Marie was critical? Why or why not?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)