|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What research is Pierre conducting that he abandons to help Marie?
2. Why don't the Curies ask the university or French government for a grant?
3. What is Pierre's only focus when Marie and he settle into their first flat?
4. What does Marie eat regularly?
5. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie create to help with the war and where does she get the funds for these projects?
2. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
3. What obstacles does Marie encounter when she goes to complete her education?
4. What happens as Marie goes to the lab to work every morning?
5. What discovery does Pierre make about radium and what is this discovery called?
6. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
7. What influence did Marie's father-in-law have on Irene?
8. Where does Marie go to live on her own and how much does she have to live on?
9. Who invites Pierre to give a lecture on radium and why is it special that Marie attends with him?
10. What is Marie's one and only goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some identify that Marie was a great woman more than a figure. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Do you believe her gender is important? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Marie rarely pays attention to her own health and in fact this lack of awareness ultimately kills her. What reasons do you believe Marie had for ignoring her own health? Do you think her decisions were wise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is her celebrity status devastating to Marie? In what ways does Marie utilize her celebrity status? Do you approve of how Marie handled her status as a celebrity? Why or why not?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)