|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
2. What does Bronya tell her father to do with some of the money her father has set aside?
3. How are Marie and Pierre similar?
4. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
5. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery does Pierre make about radium and what is this discovery called?
2. What discovery does Marie make about radium?
3. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
4. What method does Marie devise and what does she prepare the first of in regard to radium?
5. How does Marie treat the German physicists after the war?
6. How does Marie find international work and what continues to be her life-long ambition?
7. Why does Manya find her first experience as a governess to be an eye-opening one?
8. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
9. What does a typical day look like for Manya at this point in her life?
10. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of patriotism developed throughout the novel? In what ways does Marie demonstrate patriotism? Do you think this is a strength or weakness of Marie? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
A drive to pursue a single passion despite all obstacles seems to define many successful people. Write an essay describing the positive and negative aspects of having this type of drive. Do you believe you have this drive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did Manya's life change as she moved to Paris? Why do you think she changed her name at this point? Do you think changing from Manya to Marie was critical? Why or why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)