|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
2. Who does Manya begin teaching?
3. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
4. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
5. Where does this story open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles does Marie encounter when she goes to complete her education?
2. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
3. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
4. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
5. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
6. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
7. What discovery does Marie make about radium?
8. Who influences Manya and in what ways does he influence her?
9. What does Manya do when the Russian inspector comes to her school and how does it make her feel?
10. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's profession and where do he and his family live?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marie's sense of honor and what role it plays in her character. Do you think Marie's sense of honor is something to be respected or something that was a weakness for her? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
How do the many tragedies in Marie's life change her? Which tragedies affect her the most? Why do you believe these were the most important in her life?
Essay Topic 3
When writing a biography, the author must maintain accuracy while keeping the reader's interest. In what ways was this author able to keep the reader's interest? Do you believe this was a successful biography? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)