|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
2. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
3. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
4. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
5. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marie's one and only goal?
2. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
3. What does a typical day look like for Manya at this point in her life?
4. What is a typical day like for Marie now that she is married?
5. What are Marie's plans after she passes her examinations and how do her plans change?
6. What does Marie create to help with the war and where does she get the funds for these projects?
7. What happens when war breaks out?
8. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
9. What do the students at Marie's school do that could be considered dangerous?
10. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's profession and where do he and his family live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Marie change after Pierre died? How did his death affect the family? What allowed Marie to move on after Pierre's death?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marie's sense of honor and what role it plays in her character. Do you think Marie's sense of honor is something to be respected or something that was a weakness for her? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
When writing a biography, the author must maintain accuracy while keeping the reader's interest. In what ways was this author able to keep the reader's interest? Do you believe this was a successful biography? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)