|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
2. What was the monument erected to represent?
3. What is Manya's personal ambition?
4. What religion does Manya practice?
5. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pierre killed?
2. What do Marie and Pierre decide to do in regard to the existence of radium and how do they decide to accomplish this?
3. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
4. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
5. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
6. What has Marie ruled out of her life and why has she ruled it out?
7. What influence did Marie's father-in-law have on Irene?
8. What is Marie's one and only goal?
9. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
10. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is her celebrity status devastating to Marie? In what ways does Marie utilize her celebrity status? Do you approve of how Marie handled her status as a celebrity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Marie chose Paris over Warsaw. Do you think this was a good choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Curies believed that their discoveries belonged to all of humanity. Do you agree with their decisions? Why or why not? Do you think modern scientists are as selfless as Marie? Why or why not?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)