|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Manya and Bronya dream of going?
2. What does Marie eat regularly?
3. How does Marie look back on these years with her exhaustion and chronic worry about money?
4. How do the Curies discover radium's luminosity?
5. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
2. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
3. What does the money that Pierre receives allow Pierre to do and what does the publicity bring Marie and Pierre?
4. What seems to be intruding on the Polish schools and in what way have things changed?
5. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
6. How is Pierre killed?
7. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
8. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
9. What causes Pierre to not get the post as a professor at the Sorbonne?
10. Who is Marie's constant companion until married and what happens to their relationship after the marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of poverty described and developed throughout the novel? Do you feel that Marie ever overcomes true poverty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Some identify that Marie was a great woman more than a figure. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Do you believe her gender is important? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there appear to be different antagonists in Marie's life. Do you believe this is accurate? Do all people have different antagonists as they age and their life progresses? Why or why not?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)