Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
2. Who does Manya begin teaching?
3. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
4. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
5. Where does this story open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles does Marie encounter when she goes to complete her education?
2. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
3. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
4. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
5. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
6. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
7. What discovery does Marie make about radium?
8. Who influences Manya and in what ways does he influence her?
9. What does Manya do when the Russian inspector comes to her school and how does it make her feel?
10. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's profession and where do he and his family live?
Essay Topic 1
What role did the Russian occupation of Poland play a role in Marie's young life? Do you think that she would have continued on with her discoveries had this oppression not existed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Marie rarely pays attention to her own health and in fact this lack of awareness ultimately kills her. What reasons do you believe Marie had for ignoring her own health? Do you think her decisions were wise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the author's writing style helps make the most complex scientific achievements accessible to the reader. Is the description of the process an accurate representation of scientific discovery?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)