|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Bronya's husband have?
2. Where does Marie feel truly in her element?
3. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
4. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
5. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Marie is told that Pierre has been killed?
2. What does the money that Pierre receives allow Pierre to do and what does the publicity bring Marie and Pierre?
3. Which of the children is studying medicine and why does this cause the other girls to show envy?
4. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
5. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
6. What discovery does Marie make about radium?
7. Where does Manya go to school and what is different about this school?
8. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
9. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
10. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of poverty described and developed throughout the novel? Do you feel that Marie ever overcomes true poverty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did France treat Marie from the beginning to the end? Should she have stayed loyal to France? Support your answers with information from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How do the many tragedies in Marie's life change her? Which tragedies affect her the most? Why do you believe these were the most important in her life?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)