Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
2. What does Marie discover?
3. Why don't the Curies buy large quantities of pitchblende?
4. How many years younger is Manya than her classmates?
5. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a typical day look like for Manya at this point in her life?
2. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
3. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
4. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
5. How is Pierre killed?
6. What happens as Marie goes to the lab to work every morning?
7. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
8. Why is Pierre shocked that Marie has a dream to think about doing nothing?
9. What does Manya do when the Russian inspector comes to her school and how does it make her feel?
10. What is a typical day like for Marie now that she is married?
Write an essay critiquing whether or not this biography can be considered accurate since it was written by Curie's daughter. Do you believe it could be unbiased? Why or why not?
How did France treat Marie from the beginning to the end? Should she have stayed loyal to France? Support your answers with information from the novel.
A drive to pursue a single passion despite all obstacles seems to define many successful people. Write an essay describing the positive and negative aspects of having this type of drive. Do you believe you have this drive? Why or why not?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)