|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
2. What is piezoelectric quartz?
3. Why don't the Curies buy large quantities of pitchblende?
4. What does Bronya tell her father to do with some of the money her father has set aside?
5. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
2. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
3. What happens when war breaks out?
4. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
5. What happens as Marie goes to the lab to work every morning?
6. What is Marie appointed to and what does she publish?
7. Why does Manya find her first experience as a governess to be an eye-opening one?
8. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
9. Who is Marie's constant companion until married and what happens to their relationship after the marriage?
10. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's profession and where do he and his family live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Marie chose Paris over Warsaw. Do you think this was a good choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the Russian occupation of Poland play a role in Marie's young life? Do you think that she would have continued on with her discoveries had this oppression not existed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Marie rarely pays attention to her own health and in fact this lack of awareness ultimately kills her. What reasons do you believe Marie had for ignoring her own health? Do you think her decisions were wise? Why or why not?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)