|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
2. Where do the Sklodovskass now live?
3. Which of the children died from typhus?
4. What is piezoelectric quartz?
5. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Marie is told that Pierre has been killed?
2. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
3. What discovery does Pierre make about radium and what is this discovery called?
4. What is a typical day like for Marie now that she is married?
5. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
6. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
7. How does Marie find international work and what continues to be her life-long ambition?
8. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
9. What does a typical day look like for Manya at this point in her life?
10. What obstacles does Marie encounter when she goes to complete her education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is her celebrity status devastating to Marie? In what ways does Marie utilize her celebrity status? Do you approve of how Marie handled her status as a celebrity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A drive to pursue a single passion despite all obstacles seems to define many successful people. Write an essay describing the positive and negative aspects of having this type of drive. Do you believe you have this drive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the author's writing style helps make the most complex scientific achievements accessible to the reader. Is the description of the process an accurate representation of scientific discovery?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)