|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
2. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
3. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
4. Which of the children has gone to study medicine?
5. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Marie's constant companion until married and what happens to their relationship after the marriage?
2. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
3. What seems to be intruding on the Polish schools and in what way have things changed?
4. What is the history for Monsieur and Madame Sklodovska and how is their life currently?
5. What influence did Marie's father-in-law have on Irene?
6. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
7. What is Marie appointed to and what does she publish?
8. How does Casimir react to Marie's poor health and what do he and her sister insist on to help her recover?
9. What is a typical day like for Marie now that she is married?
10. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marie's sense of honor and what role it plays in her character. Do you think Marie's sense of honor is something to be respected or something that was a weakness for her? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the author uses a combination of the omniscient point of view, which explains and interprets the historical background of the story, and the more limited third-person point of view? Do you believe this was a good strategy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of poverty described and developed throughout the novel? Do you feel that Marie ever overcomes true poverty? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)