|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
2. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
3. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
4. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
5. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
2. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
3. What is the history for Monsieur and Madame Sklodovska and how is their life currently?
4. What has happened to Marie's health and what caused these effects?
5. How is Pierre killed?
6. What has Marie ruled out of her life and why has she ruled it out?
7. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
8. Who is Marie's constant companion until married and what happens to their relationship after the marriage?
9. What do Marie and Pierre decide to do in regard to the existence of radium and how do they decide to accomplish this?
10. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of poverty described and developed throughout the novel? Do you feel that Marie ever overcomes true poverty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay critiquing whether or not this biography can be considered accurate since it was written by Curie's daughter. Do you believe it could be unbiased? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there appear to be different antagonists in Marie's life. Do you believe this is accurate? Do all people have different antagonists as they age and their life progresses? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)