|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie eat regularly?
2. Why don't the Curies buy large quantities of pitchblende?
3. What religion does Manya practice?
4. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
5. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marie's one and only goal?
2. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
3. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
4. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
5. What do the students at Marie's school do that could be considered dangerous?
6. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
7. How do Manya's employers treat Manya and how does Manya feel about the children and her job?
8. How does Marie find international work and what continues to be her life-long ambition?
9. How does Marie treat the German physicists after the war?
10. What is a typical day like for Marie now that she is married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marie's sense of honor and what role it plays in her character. Do you think Marie's sense of honor is something to be respected or something that was a weakness for her? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay critiquing whether or not this biography can be considered accurate since it was written by Curie's daughter. Do you believe it could be unbiased? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the author's writing style helps make the most complex scientific achievements accessible to the reader. Is the description of the process an accurate representation of scientific discovery?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)