|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pitchblende?
2. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
3. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
4. What is the children's single focus at this time?
5. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
2. Who invites Pierre to give a lecture on radium and why is it special that Marie attends with him?
3. What has happened to Marie's health and what caused these effects?
4. What does Manya do when the Russian inspector comes to her school and how does it make her feel?
5. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
6. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
7. What method does Marie devise and what does she prepare the first of in regard to radium?
8. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
9. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
10. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marie rarely pays attention to her own health and in fact this lack of awareness ultimately kills her. What reasons do you believe Marie had for ignoring her own health? Do you think her decisions were wise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of poverty described and developed throughout the novel? Do you feel that Marie ever overcomes true poverty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What things did Marie's early strong foundation provide her that helped her later through the most difficult times in her life? Do you feel that her early life was helpful or harmful to Marie? In what way?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)