|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
2. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
3. What happens during Marie and Pierre's second year of marriage?
4. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
5. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
2. What obstacles does Marie encounter when she goes to complete her education?
3. Who is Marie's constant companion until married and what happens to their relationship after the marriage?
4. What does the money that Pierre receives allow Pierre to do and what does the publicity bring Marie and Pierre?
5. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
6. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
7. How is Pierre killed?
8. Why is Pierre shocked that Marie has a dream to think about doing nothing?
9. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
10. Who influences Manya and in what ways does he influence her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Marie chose Paris over Warsaw. Do you think this was a good choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the Russian occupation of Poland play a role in Marie's young life? Do you think that she would have continued on with her discoveries had this oppression not existed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When writing a biography, the author must maintain accuracy while keeping the reader's interest. In what ways was this author able to keep the reader's interest? Do you believe this was a successful biography? Why or why not?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)