|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What research is Pierre conducting that he abandons to help Marie?
2. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
3. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
4. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
5. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
2. What killed Marie?
3. How does Marie spend her days?
4. Who influences Manya and in what ways does he influence her?
5. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
6. Where does Manya go to school and what is different about this school?
7. How is Pierre killed?
8. What happens when Marie is told that Pierre has been killed?
9. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
10. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of patriotism developed throughout the novel? In what ways does Marie demonstrate patriotism? Do you think this is a strength or weakness of Marie? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
How do the many tragedies in Marie's life change her? Which tragedies affect her the most? Why do you believe these were the most important in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Some identify that Marie was a great woman more than a figure. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Do you believe her gender is important? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)