|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie eat regularly?
2. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
3. What does Manya offer to God in place of her mother?
4. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
5. Why does Marie ignore all of her health issues?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
2. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's new position and how does he feel about the position?
3. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
4. Why is Pierre shocked that Marie has a dream to think about doing nothing?
5. Where does Marie go to live on her own and how much does she have to live on?
6. What is Marie appointed to and what does she publish?
7. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
8. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
9. How does Casimir react to Marie's poor health and what do he and her sister insist on to help her recover?
10. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Marie chose Paris over Warsaw. Do you think this was a good choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did France treat Marie from the beginning to the end? Should she have stayed loyal to France? Support your answers with information from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of poverty described and developed throughout the novel? Do you feel that Marie ever overcomes true poverty? Why or why not?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)