|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
2. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
3. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
4. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
5. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
2. Where does Marie go to live on her own and how much does she have to live on?
3. What are Marie's plans after she passes her examinations and how do her plans change?
4. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's new position and how does he feel about the position?
5. What does the money that Pierre receives allow Pierre to do and what does the publicity bring Marie and Pierre?
6. Who is Marie's constant companion until married and what happens to their relationship after the marriage?
7. What is a typical day like for Marie now that she is married?
8. How does Marie treat the German physicists after the war?
9. What do the students at Marie's school do that could be considered dangerous?
10. How do Manya's employers treat Manya and how does Manya feel about the children and her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A drive to pursue a single passion despite all obstacles seems to define many successful people. Write an essay describing the positive and negative aspects of having this type of drive. Do you believe you have this drive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When writing a biography, the author must maintain accuracy while keeping the reader's interest. In what ways was this author able to keep the reader's interest? Do you believe this was a successful biography? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Marie chose Paris over Warsaw. Do you think this was a good choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)