|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
2. Which of the following children is the youngest?
3. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
4. How are Marie and Pierre similar?
5. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
2. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
3. What does Marie create to help with the war and where does she get the funds for these projects?
4. What seems to be intruding on the Polish schools and in what way have things changed?
5. What method does Marie devise and what does she prepare the first of in regard to radium?
6. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
7. What are Marie's plans after she passes her examinations and how do her plans change?
8. Who influences Manya and in what ways does he influence her?
9. What happens when Marie is told that Pierre has been killed?
10. What do Marie and Pierre decide to do in regard to the existence of radium and how do they decide to accomplish this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is her celebrity status devastating to Marie? In what ways does Marie utilize her celebrity status? Do you approve of how Marie handled her status as a celebrity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the author uses a combination of the omniscient point of view, which explains and interprets the historical background of the story, and the more limited third-person point of view? Do you believe this was a good strategy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marie's sense of honor and what role it plays in her character. Do you think Marie's sense of honor is something to be respected or something that was a weakness for her? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)