|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
2. How do the Curies discover radium's luminosity?
3. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
4. What does Manya indicate she feels for the first time when her father sends her to the country as a reward?
5. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be intruding on the Polish schools and in what way have things changed?
2. How does Marie find international work and what continues to be her life-long ambition?
3. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
4. What obstacles does Marie encounter when she goes to complete her education?
5. How does Casimir react to Marie's poor health and what do he and her sister insist on to help her recover?
6. What has happened to Marie's health and what caused these effects?
7. What influence did Marie's father-in-law have on Irene?
8. Who is Marie's constant companion until married and what happens to their relationship after the marriage?
9. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
10. What does Monsieur Sklodovska represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of patriotism developed throughout the novel? In what ways does Marie demonstrate patriotism? Do you think this is a strength or weakness of Marie? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Marie rarely pays attention to her own health and in fact this lack of awareness ultimately kills her. What reasons do you believe Marie had for ignoring her own health? Do you think her decisions were wise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the author uses a combination of the omniscient point of view, which explains and interprets the historical background of the story, and the more limited third-person point of view? Do you believe this was a good strategy? Why or why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)