|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do her employers treat Manya?
2. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
3. Where does this story open?
4. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
5. Who is Manya's first romance with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
2. What do the students at Marie's school do that could be considered dangerous?
3. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
4. What is the history for Monsieur and Madame Sklodovska and how is their life currently?
5. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
6. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
7. What is a typical day like for Marie now that she is married?
8. What do Marie and Pierre decide to do in regard to the existence of radium and how do they decide to accomplish this?
9. What method does Marie devise and what does she prepare the first of in regard to radium?
10. What causes Pierre to not get the post as a professor at the Sorbonne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did France treat Marie from the beginning to the end? Should she have stayed loyal to France? Support your answers with information from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, there appear to be different antagonists in Marie's life. Do you believe this is accurate? Do all people have different antagonists as they age and their life progresses? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A drive to pursue a single passion despite all obstacles seems to define many successful people. Write an essay describing the positive and negative aspects of having this type of drive. Do you believe you have this drive? Why or why not?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)