|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following areas best describes why Manya feels so depressed?
2. What profession does Bronya's husband have?
3. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
4. What does Marie eat regularly?
5. Who agrees to move in with Marie and Pierre to help them with the new child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
2. What causes Pierre to not get the post as a professor at the Sorbonne?
3. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
4. How does Marie spend her days?
5. What does Marie create to help with the war and where does she get the funds for these projects?
6. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
7. What has happened to Marie's health and what caused these effects?
8. What killed Marie?
9. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
10. What does Marie realize about herself in regard to her profession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is her celebrity status devastating to Marie? In what ways does Marie utilize her celebrity status? Do you approve of how Marie handled her status as a celebrity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Some identify that Marie was a great woman more than a figure. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Do you believe her gender is important? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there appear to be different antagonists in Marie's life. Do you believe this is accurate? Do all people have different antagonists as they age and their life progresses? Why or why not?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)