|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie eat regularly?
2. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
3. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
4. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
5. What does the visit from the inspector make Manya more aware of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
2. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
3. Which of the children is studying medicine and why does this cause the other girls to show envy?
4. What is Marie's one and only goal?
5. What happens when war breaks out?
6. What does Marie realize about herself in regard to her profession?
7. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
8. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
9. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
10. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of poverty described and developed throughout the novel? Do you feel that Marie ever overcomes true poverty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the author's writing style helps make the most complex scientific achievements accessible to the reader. Is the description of the process an accurate representation of scientific discovery?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is her celebrity status devastating to Marie? In what ways does Marie utilize her celebrity status? Do you approve of how Marie handled her status as a celebrity? Why or why not?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)