Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
2. Who does Manya begin teaching?
3. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
4. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
5. Where does this story open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles does Marie encounter when she goes to complete her education?
2. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
3. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
4. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
5. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
6. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
7. What discovery does Marie make about radium?
8. Who influences Manya and in what ways does he influence her?
9. What does Manya do when the Russian inspector comes to her school and how does it make her feel?
10. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's profession and where do he and his family live?
Describe how the author uses a combination of the omniscient point of view, which explains and interprets the historical background of the story, and the more limited third-person point of view? Do you believe this was a good strategy? Why or why not?
Throughout the novel, Marie chose Paris over Warsaw. Do you think this was a good choice? Why or why not?
How did Marie change after Pierre died? How did his death affect the family? What allowed Marie to move on after Pierre's death?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)