|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
2. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
3. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
4. What does Marie decide to get her masters degree in?
5. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie have to do on a regular basis?
2. How does Marie treat the German physicists after the war?
3. Why does Manya find her first experience as a governess to be an eye-opening one?
4. How does Casimir react to Marie's poor health and what do he and her sister insist on to help her recover?
5. What does Monsieur Sklodovska represent?
6. What does a typical day look like for Manya at this point in her life?
7. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
8. What does Marie create to help with the war and where does she get the funds for these projects?
9. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
10. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
Essay Topic 1
A drive to pursue a single passion despite all obstacles seems to define many successful people. Write an essay describing the positive and negative aspects of having this type of drive. Do you believe you have this drive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the author's writing style helps make the most complex scientific achievements accessible to the reader. Is the description of the process an accurate representation of scientific discovery?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of poverty described and developed throughout the novel? Do you feel that Marie ever overcomes true poverty? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)