|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Manya make in regard to her life when Bronya invites her to Paris?
(a) She decides to abandon everything.
(b) She decides to move back with her father.
(c) She decides to go to Paris with her father.
(d) She decides to stay in Warsaw another year.
2. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
3. Why does Marie ignore all of her health issues?
(a) She is not speaking to her family.
(b) She cannot remember her symptoms.
(c) To focus only on studying.
(d) Because she cannot afford to treat her condition.
4. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
(b) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
(c) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
(d) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
5. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
(a) The Russian Tsar.
(b) Russian principal.
(c) His colleagues.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
2. How do her employers treat Manya?
3. Which of the following children is the youngest?
4. Which of the children died from typhus?
5. What is Pierre's only focus when Marie and he settle into their first flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
2. What is Marie appointed to and what does she publish?
3. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
4. Why does Manya find her first experience as a governess to be an eye-opening one?
5. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
6. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's profession and where do he and his family live?
7. Who invites Pierre to give a lecture on radium and why is it special that Marie attends with him?
8. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
9. How does Marie find international work and what continues to be her life-long ambition?
10. What does Monsieur Sklodovska represent?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)