|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
(a) Buying apples.
(b) Telling Polish stories.
(c) Going to Church.
(d) Reading from the Bible.
2. How do her employers treat Manya?
(d) With great respect.
3. Where do Manya and Bronya dream of going?
4. What is pitchblende?
(a) A radium core.
(b) A uranium core.
(c) A polonium based metal.
(d) A combination of radium and polonium.
5. What did Mademoiselle Mayer catch Manya and her friend doing that caused a great conflict between the two of them?
(a) Dancing with joy at the assassination of the Tsar.
(b) Studying subjects that were prohibited to girls.
(c) Speaking in Polish instead of Russian.
(d) Making fun of Mademoiselle Mayer behind her back.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
2. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
3. What does Marie eat regularly?
4. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
5. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Marie goes to the lab to work every morning?
2. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
3. What does Monsieur Sklodovska represent?
4. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
5. Who is Marie's constant companion until married and what happens to their relationship after the marriage?
6. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
7. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
8. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
9. How does Marie spend her days?
10. How does Marie treat the German physicists after the war?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)