|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is pitchblende?
(a) A polonium based metal.
(b) A uranium core.
(c) A radium core.
(d) A combination of radium and polonium.
2. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
(a) Cleaning houses.
(b) Taking on boarders.
(d) Being a servant.
3. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
(a) Because she is starting a new life.
(b) Because she wants to forget her past.
(c) Because it is the French version of her name.
(d) Because her sister who died used to call her that.
4. What conclusion does Marie draw about the minerals she examines?
(a) There must be another element as yet undetermined.
(b) They all have their basis in thorium.
(c) They are not as strong as uranium.
(d) The radioactivity is limited to only uranium and thorium.
5. Who agrees to move in with Marie and Pierre to help them with the new child?
(a) Pierre's father.
(b) Marie's brother.
(c) Marie's father.
(d) Pierre's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the children has gone to study medicine?
2. What is Pierre's only focus when Marie and he settle into their first flat?
3. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
4. What does Marie eat regularly?
5. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
2. How do Manya's employers treat Manya and how does Manya feel about the children and her job?
3. Who is Marie's constant companion until married and what happens to their relationship after the marriage?
4. Where does Manya go to school and what is different about this school?
5. Which of the children is studying medicine and why does this cause the other girls to show envy?
6. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
7. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
8. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
9. Where does Marie now live and how does she spend her pension?
10. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)