|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
2. What position does Monsieur Sklodovska accept after his retirement?
(b) Director of a reform school.
(c) Director of boarding house.
(d) Teacher of the poor.
3. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
(a) Going to Church.
(b) Reading from the Bible.
(c) Telling Polish stories.
(d) Buying apples.
4. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
5. How do the Curies discover radium's luminosity?
(a) They see jars on the shelf glowing blue.
(b) They reduce the atomic weight.
(c) They combine it with salt.
(d) They boil down the liquid for a long time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
2. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
3. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
4. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
5. What is Manya's personal ambition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
2. Who influences Manya and in what ways does he influence her?
3. What happens when Marie is told that Pierre has been killed?
4. How is Pierre killed?
5. What is a typical day like for Marie now that she is married?
6. What does a typical day look like for Manya at this point in her life?
7. What seems to be intruding on the Polish schools and in what way have things changed?
8. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's new position and how does he feel about the position?
9. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
10. What is Marie's one and only goal?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)