|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Manya always chosen to answer the inspector's questions?
(a) She is the most respectful to the inspector.
(b) She can tell lies perfectly in Russian.
(c) She speaks Russian perfectly and is knowledgeable.
(d) She is the youngest in the class and therefore impressive.
2. What does Marie discover?
(b) Gamma rays.
3. Who agrees to move in with Marie and Pierre to help them with the new child?
(a) Marie's brother.
(b) Marie's father.
(c) Pierre's sister.
(d) Pierre's father.
4. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
(a) Buying apples.
(b) Telling Polish stories.
(c) Going to Church.
(d) Reading from the Bible.
5. What was the monument erected to represent?
(a) Those that were heros of Poland.
(b) Those that were great Polish leaders.
(c) Those who betrayed Poland to ally with Russia.
(d) Those that were great Russian leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
2. How does Marie look back on these years with her exhaustion and chronic worry about money?
3. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
4. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
5. Who does Manya begin teaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pierre killed?
2. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
3. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
4. What causes Pierre to not get the post as a professor at the Sorbonne?
5. What is Marie appointed to and what does she publish?
6. What does Manya do when the Russian inspector comes to her school and how does it make her feel?
7. What does Marie realize about herself in regard to her profession?
8. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
9. What seems to be intruding on the Polish schools and in what way have things changed?
10. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)