|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
(a) Being a servant.
(b) Taking on boarders.
(d) Cleaning houses.
2. What is Manya's dream at this time in her life?
(a) To become a physician.
(b) To study physics.
3. Which of the following children is the youngest?
4. What position does Monsieur Sklodovska accept after his retirement?
(b) Director of a reform school.
(c) Teacher of the poor.
(d) Director of boarding house.
5. When does Manya finish her secondary studies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this story open?
2. What research is Pierre conducting that he abandons to help Marie?
3. What causes Manya to experience her first revolt against the church?
4. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
5. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
2. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
3. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
4. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
5. What causes Pierre to not get the post as a professor at the Sorbonne?
6. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
7. Which of the children is studying medicine and why does this cause the other girls to show envy?
8. Why does Manya find her first experience as a governess to be an eye-opening one?
9. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
10. How does Marie spend her days?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)