|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
(a) The river.
2. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
(a) Because it is dangerous and takes away study time.
(b) Because she enjoys entertaining with her sister.
(c) Because her father told her to do that.
(d) Because she cannot participate in them.
3. What research is Pierre conducting that he abandons to help Marie?
(a) Crystalline physics
(b) Uranium conductivity.
(c) X-ray exclusions.
(d) Thorium resilience.
4. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
(a) Marie's father.
(b) Marie's sister and brother-in-law.
(c) A Polish physics professor.
(d) Pierre's family.
5. Who is Manya's first romance with?
(a) A boy from her brother's school.
(b) A friend of her fathers.
(c) Her sister's best friend.
(d) Her employer's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mademoiselle Mayer catch Manya and her friend doing that caused a great conflict between the two of them?
2. Who does Manya begin teaching?
3. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
4. Why is Manya always chosen to answer the inspector's questions?
5. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Monsieur Sklodovska represent?
2. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
3. What is Marie's one and only goal?
4. Why is Pierre shocked that Marie has a dream to think about doing nothing?
5. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
6. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
7. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
8. How does Marie spend her days?
9. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
10. Where does Manya go to school and what is different about this school?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)