|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Throw stones at it.
(b) Kick it.
(c) Spit on it.
(d) Salute it.
2. What does Manya find herself ecstatic with even though she has holes in her math and physics skills?
(a) The lectures.
(b) Being close to her family.
(c) The culture.
(d) The sites in Paris.
3. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) University money.
(b) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
(c) Their own savings.
(d) Borrowed money from their siblings.
4. What decision does Manya make in regard to her life when Bronya invites her to Paris?
(a) She decides to stay in Warsaw another year.
(b) She decides to move back with her father.
(c) She decides to abandon everything.
(d) She decides to go to Paris with her father.
5. How are Marie and Pierre similar?
(a) Both have sisters.
(b) Both are married to their work.
(c) Both like to be near their family.
(d) Both are from Poland.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
2. Why is Manya always chosen to answer the inspector's questions?
3. Why does Manya stay working as the governess with Casimir's family?
4. What was the monument erected to represent?
5. Which of the children died from typhus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
2. Where does Marie go to live on her own and how much does she have to live on?
3. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
4. What killed Marie?
5. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
6. Where does Manya go to school and what is different about this school?
7. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
8. What seems to be intruding on the Polish schools and in what way have things changed?
9. Who invites Pierre to give a lecture on radium and why is it special that Marie attends with him?
10. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)