|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
(a) Because they believe in education.
(b) Because that is what their familes have done for years.
(c) Because it is the safest profession.
(d) Because estates have grown poorer.
2. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
3. Which of the following areas best describes why Manya feels so depressed?
(a) Unfulfilled ability to learn in Paris.
(b) Unfulfilled need to achieve personal fulfillment.
(c) Unfulfilled financial obligations.
(d) Unfulfilled love and intellectual ambition.
4. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Salute it.
(b) Throw stones at it.
(c) Kick it.
(d) Spit on it.
5. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) Russian control.
(b) Unqualifed teachers.
(c) German invasion.
(d) Lack of finances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manya's dream at this time in her life?
2. What is the children's single focus at this time?
3. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
4. What religion does Manya practice?
5. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Marie's health and what caused these effects?
2. What method does Marie devise and what does she prepare the first of in regard to radium?
3. What happens as Marie goes to the lab to work every morning?
4. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
5. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
6. What does Monsieur Sklodovska represent?
7. Why is Pierre shocked that Marie has a dream to think about doing nothing?
8. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's new position and how does he feel about the position?
9. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
10. What killed Marie?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)