|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Manya describe her first post as governess?
2. Where does Manya find her own friends?
(a) Russian immigrants in Paris.
(b) The peasants of the city.
(c) Other Polish students in the Latin Quarter.
(d) Her sister's friends.
3. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
(b) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
(c) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
(d) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
4. What conclusion does Marie draw about the minerals she examines?
(a) There must be another element as yet undetermined.
(b) They all have their basis in thorium.
(c) They are not as strong as uranium.
(d) The radioactivity is limited to only uranium and thorium.
5. Where does Marie feel truly in her element?
(a) Working with the peasants.
(b) Physics laboratory.
(c) With her sister and brother-in-law.
(d) Her attic apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
2. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
3. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
4. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
5. What does the visit from the inspector make Manya more aware of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Manya's employers treat Manya and how does Manya feel about the children and her job?
2. What is the history for Monsieur and Madame Sklodovska and how is their life currently?
3. What do the students at Marie's school do that could be considered dangerous?
4. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
5. What killed Marie?
6. How does Marie find international work and what continues to be her life-long ambition?
7. What does the money that Pierre receives allow Pierre to do and what does the publicity bring Marie and Pierre?
8. What does Marie create to help with the war and where does she get the funds for these projects?
9. Who invites Pierre to give a lecture on radium and why is it special that Marie attends with him?
10. What discovery does Pierre make about radium and what is this discovery called?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)