|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
2. What decision does Manya make in regard to her life when Bronya invites her to Paris?
(a) She decides to stay in Warsaw another year.
(b) She decides to move back with her father.
(c) She decides to abandon everything.
(d) She decides to go to Paris with her father.
3. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
4. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
(a) They do not want him to marry a governess.
(b) Manya's family does not have enough money.
(c) They want him to marry a Russian.
(d) They think they are too young to get married.
5. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
(a) Because it is dangerous and takes away study time.
(b) Because she cannot participate in them.
(c) Because she enjoys entertaining with her sister.
(d) Because her father told her to do that.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marie feel truly in her element?
2. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
3. Why does Manya's work end at Sczczuki?
4. What is Manya's personal ambition?
5. Which of the following children is the youngest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
2. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's profession and where do he and his family live?
3. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
4. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
5. What do Marie and Pierre decide to do in regard to the existence of radium and how do they decide to accomplish this?
6. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
7. What seems to be intruding on the Polish schools and in what way have things changed?
8. What are Marie's plans after she passes her examinations and how do her plans change?
9. What does Manya do when the Russian inspector comes to her school and how does it make her feel?
10. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)