|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Curies have to now prove?
(a) The differences between radium and polonium.
(b) The existence of radium.
(c) The radioactivity of radium.
(d) The similarities between radium and polonium.
2. What does the visit from the inspector make Manya more aware of?
(a) Her personal troubles.
(b) Her desire to find a new book.
(c) Her lack of personal strength.
(d) Her need to flee Poland.
3. Which of the following areas best describes why Manya feels so depressed?
(a) Unfulfilled need to achieve personal fulfillment.
(b) Unfulfilled ability to learn in Paris.
(c) Unfulfilled love and intellectual ambition.
(d) Unfulfilled financial obligations.
4. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
5. What does Bronya tell her father to do with some of the money her father has set aside?
(a) Move the family to Paris.
(b) Find a better house.
(c) Send Manya to school.
(d) Pay back Manya.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
2. Who is Manya's first romance with?
3. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
4. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
5. How do the Curies discover radium's luminosity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Manya and Hela attend school and what kind of school is it?
2. Why does Manya find her first experience as a governess to be an eye-opening one?
3. Who invites Pierre to give a lecture on radium and why is it special that Marie attends with him?
4. What killed Marie?
5. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
6. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
7. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
8. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
9. What does Marie realize about herself in regard to her profession?
10. What does Marie create to help with the war and where does she get the funds for these projects?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)