|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
2. What was the monument erected to represent?
(a) Those that were great Russian leaders.
(b) Those who betrayed Poland to ally with Russia.
(c) Those that were great Polish leaders.
(d) Those that were heros of Poland.
3. Where does Manya find her own friends?
(a) The peasants of the city.
(b) Other Polish students in the Latin Quarter.
(c) Her sister's friends.
(d) Russian immigrants in Paris.
4. How do the Curies discover radium's luminosity?
(a) They reduce the atomic weight.
(b) They see jars on the shelf glowing blue.
(c) They combine it with salt.
(d) They boil down the liquid for a long time.
5. Why does Manya stay working as the governess with Casimir's family?
(a) She cannot bear to be away from Casimir.
(b) The family asks her to stay to prevent scandal.
(c) She cannot find another job that pays as much.
(d) She wants to convince them to approve of the marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Manya's first romance with?
2. What do the Curies have to now prove?
3. What is the main area that Manya has found her interest waning in since she arrived in Paris?
4. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
5. How do her employers treat Manya?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pierre killed?
2. Why is Pierre shocked that Marie has a dream to think about doing nothing?
3. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
4. What do Marie and Pierre decide to do in regard to the existence of radium and how do they decide to accomplish this?
5. How does Marie treat the German physicists after the war?
6. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
7. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
8. Where do Marie and Pierre settle after their honeymoon and how do they furnish their first home?
9. How does Marie spend her days?
10. What method does Marie devise and what does she prepare the first of in regard to radium?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)