|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
(b) Improving the individual.
(c) Self-guided principles.
(d) Social progress.
2. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) German invasion.
(b) Unqualifed teachers.
(c) Lack of finances.
(d) Russian control.
3. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
(a) A Polish physics professor.
(b) Marie's sister and brother-in-law.
(c) Marie's father.
(d) Pierre's family.
4. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
(a) To pay the bills.
(b) To go to the market.
(c) To take Pierre to work.
(d) To do her own chores.
5. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
(a) His father.
(b) No one, he forged his own path.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the monument erected to represent?
2. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
3. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
4. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
5. Who agrees to move in with Marie and Pierre to help them with the new child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's new position and how does he feel about the position?
2. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
3. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
4. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
5. What has Marie ruled out of her life and why has she ruled it out?
6. Why is Pierre shocked that Marie has a dream to think about doing nothing?
7. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
8. What discovery does Pierre make about radium and what is this discovery called?
9. How does Marie find international work and what continues to be her life-long ambition?
10. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)