|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manya stay working as the governess with Casimir's family?
(a) The family asks her to stay to prevent scandal.
(b) She wants to convince them to approve of the marriage.
(c) She cannot bear to be away from Casimir.
(d) She cannot find another job that pays as much.
2. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
3. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
(a) Because it is the safest profession.
(b) Because they believe in education.
(c) Because that is what their familes have done for years.
(d) Because estates have grown poorer.
4. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
(c) Scientific scales.
(d) Crystalline physics.
5. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
2. What does the visit from the inspector make Manya more aware of?
3. Which of the children has gone to study medicine?
4. What does Manya offer to God in place of her mother?
5. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when war breaks out?
2. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
3. What discovery does Marie make about radium?
4. What is Marie's one and only goal?
5. How do Manya's employers treat Manya and how does Manya feel about the children and her job?
6. Why does Manya find her first experience as a governess to be an eye-opening one?
7. What is Marie appointed to and what does she publish?
8. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
9. What does Marie create to help with the war and where does she get the funds for these projects?
10. Where does Marie go to live on her own and how much does she have to live on?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)