|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
(a) Because that is what their familes have done for years.
(b) Because it is the safest profession.
(c) Because they believe in education.
(d) Because estates have grown poorer.
2. Why does Marie ignore all of her health issues?
(a) To focus only on studying.
(b) Because she cannot afford to treat her condition.
(c) She cannot remember her symptoms.
(d) She is not speaking to her family.
3. Why don't the Curies buy large quantities of pitchblende?
(a) It is only found in Russia.
(b) It is too rare.
(c) It is too expensive.
(d) It is not safe to have large quantities.
4. Which of the children died from typhus?
5. What does Manya indicate she feels for the first time when her father sends her to the country as a reward?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pitchblende?
2. Who is Manya's first romance with?
3. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
4. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
5. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
2. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
3. Where do Marie and Pierre settle after their honeymoon and how do they furnish their first home?
4. What is a typical day like for Marie now that she is married?
5. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
6. Who invites Pierre to give a lecture on radium and why is it special that Marie attends with him?
7. How does Marie find international work and what continues to be her life-long ambition?
8. How do Manya's employers treat Manya and how does Manya feel about the children and her job?
9. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
10. What is Marie's one and only goal?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)