|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
(a) Pierre's family.
(b) Marie's sister and brother-in-law.
(c) Marie's father.
(d) A Polish physics professor.
2. Where do the Sklodovskass now live?
(a) A train station.
(b) A homeless shelter.
(c) A small house on campus.
(d) A tranquil courtyard.
3. What was the monument erected to represent?
(a) Those that were heros of Poland.
(b) Those that were great Polish leaders.
(c) Those who betrayed Poland to ally with Russia.
(d) Those that were great Russian leaders.
4. Which of the children died from typhus?
5. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
(a) Speaking Polish.
(b) Plotting against Russia.
(c) Refusing to follow the school mistress.
(d) Teaching the girls forbidden things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manya's personal ambition?
2. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
3. What decision does Manya make in regard to her life when Bronya invites her to Paris?
4. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
5. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the students at Marie's school do that could be considered dangerous?
2. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
3. Where does Manya go to school and what is different about this school?
4. What realization do Marie and Pierre come to about their own needs and where do they think they can get it?
5. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's profession and where do he and his family live?
6. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
7. What discovery does Pierre make about radium and what is this discovery called?
8. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
9. What does Marie realize about herself in regard to her profession?
10. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)