Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Salute it.
(b) Spit on it.
(c) Kick it.
(d) Throw stones at it.
2. Who does Manya begin teaching?
(a) Those who wish to learn chemistry.
(b) Poor working women.
(c) Young polish children.
(d) All of the children in her neighborhood.
3. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
(a) Financial planning.
(b) Desire to look for freedom.
(c) Work and study.
(d) Familial bonds.
4. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
5. Where does this story open?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
2. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
3. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
4. What is the main area that Manya has found her interest waning in since she arrived in Paris?
5. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles does Marie encounter when she goes to complete her education?
2. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
3. What marks Manya's adolescence the most?
4. What does Marie do after she discovers that uranium and thorium are radioactive and what discovery does this lead to?
5. Who is Casimir Dluski and what is this character suspected of doing?
6. What do Irene and Eve learn about their mother on that first trip to America?
7. What discovery does Marie make about radium?
8. Who influences Manya and in what ways does he influence her?
9. What does Manya do when the Russian inspector comes to her school and how does it make her feel?
10. What is Monsieur Sklodovska's profession and where do he and his family live?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)