|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manya stay working as the governess with Casimir's family?
(a) She wants to convince them to approve of the marriage.
(b) She cannot find another job that pays as much.
(c) She cannot bear to be away from Casimir.
(d) The family asks her to stay to prevent scandal.
2. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
(b) Improving the individual.
(c) Self-guided principles.
(d) Social progress.
3. What is the children's single focus at this time?
(a) Managing the house.
(c) Helping their father.
(d) Staying healthy.
4. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
5. How does Marie look back on these years with her exhaustion and chronic worry about money?
(a) The most difficult years of her life.
(b) The worst years of her life.
(c) The most perfect years of her life.
(d) The most surprising years of her life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Manya make in regard to her life when Bronya invites her to Paris?
2. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
3. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
4. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
5. Which of the following is the best definition for the term kuligs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to one of Manya's family members as a result of one of the boarders her family had to take in to make ends meet and what does this lead Manya to worry about?
2. What influence did Marie's father-in-law have on Irene?
3. Where does Manya begin going to school and what is dangerous about her attending this school?
4. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
5. What discovery does Marie make about radium?
6. Who invites Pierre to give a lecture on radium and why is it special that Marie attends with him?
7. What killed Marie?
8. How does Casimir react to Marie's poor health and what do he and her sister insist on to help her recover?
9. What is Mrs. William Brown Meloney surprised to find out about Marie's lab and what does she do about it?
10. What are Marie's plans after she passes her examinations and how do her plans change?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)