|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
(a) Family support.
(d) Fulfilling her dreams.
2. Where do Manya and Bronya dream of going?
3. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
(a) They think they are too young to get married.
(b) Manya's family does not have enough money.
(c) They do not want him to marry a governess.
(d) They want him to marry a Russian.
4. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What happens during Marie and Pierre's second year of marriage?
(a) Marie graduates from school.
(b) Pierre dies.
(c) She gets pregnant.
(d) He loses his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the Curies ask the university or French government for a grant?
2. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
3. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
4. What does Manya find herself ecstatic with even though she has holes in her math and physics skills?
5. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe about Manya and what does she do to Manya because of this belief?
2. Whose research has Pierre been watching and what did that research yield?
3. How does Manya come to the conclusion that her plan was futile?
4. What role does Marie continue to have in the lab?
5. What happens to Manya's father's resources and why does this occur?
6. What does Marie create to help with the war and where does she get the funds for these projects?
7. Why does Manya find her first experience as a governess to be an eye-opening one?
8. What has Marie ruled out of her life and why has she ruled it out?
9. What takes up most of Pierre's times and how does this help with the support of his family?
10. What obstacles does Marie encounter when she goes to complete her education?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)