|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
2. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
3. Why is Emma preparing for a trip?
4. What kind of student was Léon while he was in school in Paris?
5. What does Emma throw out of the cab at the end of the day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine Emma survived her overdose on arsenic. What do you imagine she would have done? How would she have explained her predicament to Charles and solved her financial problems? Would any of the townspeople or her family members come to her aid? Use examples from the novel to support your hypothesis.
Essay Topic 2
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
Essay Topic 3
Although Emma is very much a Victorian woman, her story could also take place in modern times. How might her situation in life be different if she was alive in the 21st century? What options may have been open to her as a modern woman that weren't in the time of the book? What situations would be the same?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)