|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Léon and Emma do during their time together?
2. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
3. What are Charles' specifications for Emma's funeral?
4. What other instructions does Emma give to Léon about their correspondence?
5. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the middle-class is contrasted to the upper-class. Compare and contrast how Flaubert describes and characterizes these two groups using examples specifically from the two main events highlighting them: the ball and the agricultural fair.
Essay Topic 2
Homais can be considered both a hero and an anti-hero. Explain why giving examples for each view. How do you personally view Homais?
Essay Topic 3
Emma is looking for an idealized love that she quickly realizes is not to be found within a middle-class marriage. Describe Emma's ideal relationship. Who would be her perfect partner? Does such a person exist? Do you think Emma ever could have found happiness?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)