|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits the Bovarys and is shocked by Emma's behavior?
2. Why is Emma preparing for a trip?
3. How does Homais explain his religious philosophy to Abbé Bournisien?
4. How does Emma explain her absence the night she doesn't return home?
5. What is Emma's emotion when she leaves Lhereux after finding out about the impending auction of her possessions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charles, Rodolphe, and Léon embody three very different types of man, all of whom play into Emma's needs in some way. Describe each of Emma's partners and what she initially finds attractive about them. What is it about each of them that she finds irritating or banal? Can you see any similarities in the three?
Essay Topic 2
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
Essay Topic 3
Three characters embody the servant class in the novel: Justin, Félicité, and Mère Rollet. What are their roles in the novel? How do they interact with Emma? They are servants, but Emma also manipulates them to serve her own personal interests. Describe how she does this and what their reactions are to her both in life and in death.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)