|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they leave the opera early?
2. How does Emma try to raise the money to pay off her debts?
3. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
4. What does Charles' mother decide to do after Emma's death?
5. Who does Monsieur Homais encounter on his way home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three characters embody the servant class in the novel: Justin, Félicité, and Mère Rollet. What are their roles in the novel? How do they interact with Emma? They are servants, but Emma also manipulates them to serve her own personal interests. Describe how she does this and what their reactions are to her both in life and in death.
Essay Topic 2
Organized religion is critiqued and mocked throughout the novel, particularly by the actions of Monsieur Homais. Do you think Flaubert believes religion is enough to satisfy humanity's need for peace and satisfaction? Specifically comment on the following issues and how Flaubert uses them to critique organized faith:
• Emma's time at the convent.
• The character of Abbé Bournisien.
• The Cathedral at Rouen.
• Emma's funeral rites.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, Emma's love relationships and focus on shopping show us the indications of a manic or addictive personality. Provide examples from throughout the text that indicate this. Would you consider Emma to be an addict? Why or why not? Do you think Emma could have ever been helped? Explain why.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)