|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma finally convince Charles to let her do?
2. What does Charles do when Emma becomes violently ill?
3. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
4. What kind of student was Léon while he was in school in Paris?
5. What does Charles do during Emma's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three characters embody the servant class in the novel: Justin, Félicité, and Mère Rollet. What are their roles in the novel? How do they interact with Emma? They are servants, but Emma also manipulates them to serve her own personal interests. Describe how she does this and what their reactions are to her both in life and in death.
Essay Topic 2
The novel presents many tragic deaths, and the characters deal with them in often what seem like unsympathetic ways. What does this tell you about Flaubert's view of middle-class society. Describe the following deaths and how the surviving friends and family members react to them:
• The death of Charles' first wife.
• The death of Charles' father.
• Emma's death.
Essay Topic 3
Emma loves to read, and she has a penchant for gothic, dramatic themes. Choose one of the following genres of literature that Emma enjoys reading. Explain the genre and its main themes, and then connect these themes to Emma's own life. How do the plots in these books reveal deeper aspects of Emma's personality?
- Historical novels by Sir Walter Scott.
- Biographies of unhappy women.
- Romantic novels.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)