|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
2. Where does Emma say she got the bouquet of flowers that Léon had given her?
3. How does Homais explain his religious philosophy to Abbé Bournisien?
4. What does Charles do when Emma becomes violently ill?
5. Where does Charles think Emma has gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three characters embody the servant class in the novel: Justin, Félicité, and Mère Rollet. What are their roles in the novel? How do they interact with Emma? They are servants, but Emma also manipulates them to serve her own personal interests. Describe how she does this and what their reactions are to her both in life and in death.
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, Madame Bovary is a critique of the middle-class life, and the constraints, expectations, and disappointments that are a part of it. Compare the world of the Bovarys to a typical American middle class existence. Specifically, address the following issues faced by the typical middle class family today and relate them to themes that Flaubert threads throughout his novel:
- Debt and financial crises
- The increase in depression and the need for therapy
- A search for community through online or virtual meeting places rather than in face-to-face scenarios
Essay Topic 3
The novel presents many tragic deaths, and the characters deal with them in often what seem like unsympathetic ways. What does this tell you about Flaubert's view of middle-class society. Describe the following deaths and how the surviving friends and family members react to them:
• The death of Charles' first wife.
• The death of Charles' father.
• Emma's death.
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)