|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
2. Who had written to Emma's father to inform him of her death?
3. What does Emma tell Justin she needs the arsenic for?
4. What does Léon's employer suggest he do about Emma?
5. Why is Emma scrambling for money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine Emma survived her overdose on arsenic. What do you imagine she would have done? How would she have explained her predicament to Charles and solved her financial problems? Would any of the townspeople or her family members come to her aid? Use examples from the novel to support your hypothesis.
Essay Topic 2
Two times in the novel Emma contemplates suicide, and is successful in the second case. Why do you think she felt that she had no other options? What clues in her personality and behavior revealed that suicide would be an option to her?
Essay Topic 3
The novel presents many tragic deaths, and the characters deal with them in often what seem like unsympathetic ways. What does this tell you about Flaubert's view of middle-class society. Describe the following deaths and how the surviving friends and family members react to them:
• The death of Charles' first wife.
• The death of Charles' father.
• Emma's death.
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)