|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léon find on their boat ride that makes the boatman tell them about his previous customers?
2. What happens to the money that Charles receives from one of his clients?
3. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
4. When he visits Emma in Yonville, where does Léon first meet her?
5. Why is Emma scrambling for money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bovarism describes an attitude of self-indulgence and hedonism that is self-destructive. Obviously, Emma's character is the inspiration for this name. Can bovarism ever be positive? Did any of Emma's behaviors and actions ever help others or leave positive effects or consequences? Explain using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pathos is an emotional response to a text. Hippolyte and the blind beggar both embody tragic characteristics and are characters that should inspire much pathos in the reader, however in the way they are presented, they often do not. Do you see these two characters as sympathetic? Why or why not? Specifically note how they are described in the text. What do you think is Flaubert's purpose in describing them this way?
Essay Topic 3
Emma is looking for an idealized love that she quickly realizes is not to be found within a middle-class marriage. Describe Emma's ideal relationship. Who would be her perfect partner? Does such a person exist? Do you think Emma ever could have found happiness?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)