Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma call out for in her final moments?
2. What happens when Emma arrives back at her hotel?
3. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
4. How does Homais cover up Emma's suicide?
5. Once she gets a bit of money what does Emma purchase from Lhereux?
Essay Topic 1
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
Essay Topic 2
Three characters embody the servant class in the novel: Justin, Félicité, and Mère Rollet. What are their roles in the novel? How do they interact with Emma? They are servants, but Emma also manipulates them to serve her own personal interests. Describe how she does this and what their reactions are to her both in life and in death.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, Madame Bovary is a critique of the middle-class life, and the constraints, expectations, and disappointments that are a part of it. Compare the world of the Bovarys to a typical American middle class existence. Specifically, address the following issues faced by the typical middle class family today and relate them to themes that Flaubert threads throughout his novel:
- Debt and financial crises
- The increase in depression and the need for therapy
- A search for community through online or virtual meeting places rather than in face-to-face scenarios
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)