|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Homais think Charles should help the boy?
2. Who does Emma call out for in her final moments?
3. Who do Charles and Emma run into at the opera?
4. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
5. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charles, Rodolphe, and Léon embody three very different types of man, all of whom play into Emma's needs in some way. Describe each of Emma's partners and what she initially finds attractive about them. What is it about each of them that she finds irritating or banal? Can you see any similarities in the three?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of "provincial living" is often critiqued by Emma. She feels constrained by both her life in Tostes and in Yonville. Describe what specifically distresses her about the provincial life. What do other characters in the novel seem to like about it?
Essay Topic 3
Organized religion is critiqued and mocked throughout the novel, particularly by the actions of Monsieur Homais. Do you think Flaubert believes religion is enough to satisfy humanity's need for peace and satisfaction? Specifically comment on the following issues and how Flaubert uses them to critique organized faith:
• Emma's time at the convent.
• The character of Abbé Bournisien.
• The Cathedral at Rouen.
• Emma's funeral rites.
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)