|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Charles and Emma run into at the opera?
2. What bad news does Homais break to Emma?
3. Who does Emma call out for in her final moments?
4. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
5. How does Emma's behavior begin to reflect her new, more daring lifestyle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two times in the novel Emma contemplates suicide, and is successful in the second case. Why do you think she felt that she had no other options? What clues in her personality and behavior revealed that suicide would be an option to her?
Essay Topic 2
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
Essay Topic 3
Organized religion is critiqued and mocked throughout the novel, particularly by the actions of Monsieur Homais. Do you think Flaubert believes religion is enough to satisfy humanity's need for peace and satisfaction? Specifically comment on the following issues and how Flaubert uses them to critique organized faith:
• Emma's time at the convent.
• The character of Abbé Bournisien.
• The Cathedral at Rouen.
• Emma's funeral rites.
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)