|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Emma scrambling for money?
2. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
3. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
4. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
5. Who visits the Bovarys and is shocked by Emma's behavior?
Essay Topic 1
Although Emma is very much a Victorian woman, her story could also take place in modern times. How might her situation in life be different if she was alive in the 21st century? What options may have been open to her as a modern woman that weren't in the time of the book? What situations would be the same?
Essay Topic 2
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of "provincial living" is often critiqued by Emma. She feels constrained by both her life in Tostes and in Yonville. Describe what specifically distresses her about the provincial life. What do other characters in the novel seem to like about it?
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)