|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
2. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
3. What happens to the money that Charles receives from one of his clients?
4. How does Flaubert describe Emma's three days with Léon in Rouen?
5. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of "provincial living" is often critiqued by Emma. She feels constrained by both her life in Tostes and in Yonville. Describe what specifically distresses her about the provincial life. What do other characters in the novel seem to like about it?
Essay Topic 2
Charles, Rodolphe, and Léon embody three very different types of man, all of whom play into Emma's needs in some way. Describe each of Emma's partners and what she initially finds attractive about them. What is it about each of them that she finds irritating or banal? Can you see any similarities in the three?
Essay Topic 3
In the speeches at the agricultural fair, the dignitaries often mention "duty" and Rodolphe scoffs. What are some meanings and implications of the word "duty"? How does the concept of duty play throughout the novel, specifically in the following ways:
- marital duty.
- duty to morality.
- duty to career.
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)