Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma call out for in her final moments?
2. What happens when Emma arrives back at her hotel?
3. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
4. How does Homais cover up Emma's suicide?
5. Once she gets a bit of money what does Emma purchase from Lhereux?
Essay Topic 1
Three characters embody the servant class in the novel: Justin, Félicité, and Mère Rollet. What are their roles in the novel? How do they interact with Emma? They are servants, but Emma also manipulates them to serve her own personal interests. Describe how she does this and what their reactions are to her both in life and in death.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of "provincial living" is often critiqued by Emma. She feels constrained by both her life in Tostes and in Yonville. Describe what specifically distresses her about the provincial life. What do other characters in the novel seem to like about it?
Essay Topic 3
Emma is looking for an idealized love that she quickly realizes is not to be found within a middle-class marriage. Describe Emma's ideal relationship. Who would be her perfect partner? Does such a person exist? Do you think Emma ever could have found happiness?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)