|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Homais explain his religious philosophy to Abbé Bournisien?
2. How does Emma try to raise the money to pay off her debts?
3. What is Emma's emotion when she leaves Lhereux after finding out about the impending auction of her possessions?
4. What annoys Emma about Charles during the performance?
5. Who visits the Bovarys and is shocked by Emma's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three characters embody the servant class in the novel: Justin, Félicité, and Mère Rollet. What are their roles in the novel? How do they interact with Emma? They are servants, but Emma also manipulates them to serve her own personal interests. Describe how she does this and what their reactions are to her both in life and in death.
Essay Topic 2
Bovarism describes an attitude of self-indulgence and hedonism that is self-destructive. Obviously, Emma's character is the inspiration for this name. Can bovarism ever be positive? Did any of Emma's behaviors and actions ever help others or leave positive effects or consequences? Explain using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The novel presents many tragic deaths, and the characters deal with them in often what seem like unsympathetic ways. What does this tell you about Flaubert's view of middle-class society. Describe the following deaths and how the surviving friends and family members react to them:
• The death of Charles' first wife.
• The death of Charles' father.
• Emma's death.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)