|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
2. What does Léon find on their boat ride that makes the boatman tell them about his previous customers?
3. What does Charles request as a memory of Emma?
4. Who do Charles and Emma run into at the opera?
5. How does Homais think Charles should help the boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charles, Rodolphe, and Léon embody three very different types of man, all of whom play into Emma's needs in some way. Describe each of Emma's partners and what she initially finds attractive about them. What is it about each of them that she finds irritating or banal? Can you see any similarities in the three?
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, Emma's love relationships and focus on shopping show us the indications of a manic or addictive personality. Provide examples from throughout the text that indicate this. Would you consider Emma to be an addict? Why or why not? Do you think Emma could have ever been helped? Explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the middle-class is contrasted to the upper-class. Compare and contrast how Flaubert describes and characterizes these two groups using examples specifically from the two main events highlighting them: the ball and the agricultural fair.
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)