|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léon's employer suggest he do about Emma?
2. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
3. Who is absent from Emma's funeral?
4. Who does Homais get into a religious debate with?
5. What does Charles request as a memory of Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
Essay Topic 2
Emma loves to read, and she has a penchant for gothic, dramatic themes. Choose one of the following genres of literature that Emma enjoys reading. Explain the genre and its main themes, and then connect these themes to Emma's own life. How do the plots in these books reveal deeper aspects of Emma's personality?
- Historical novels by Sir Walter Scott.
- Biographies of unhappy women.
- Romantic novels.
Essay Topic 3
Emma is looking for an idealized love that she quickly realizes is not to be found within a middle-class marriage. Describe Emma's ideal relationship. Who would be her perfect partner? Does such a person exist? Do you think Emma ever could have found happiness?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)