|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
2. What annoys Emma about Charles during the performance?
3. Where does Charles think Emma has gone?
4. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
5. Why does Charles leave Emma during the opera?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Emma is very much a Victorian woman, her story could also take place in modern times. How might her situation in life be different if she was alive in the 21st century? What options may have been open to her as a modern woman that weren't in the time of the book? What situations would be the same?
Essay Topic 2
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
Essay Topic 3
Emma is looking for an idealized love that she quickly realizes is not to be found within a middle-class marriage. Describe Emma's ideal relationship. Who would be her perfect partner? Does such a person exist? Do you think Emma ever could have found happiness?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)