|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
2. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
3. What does Emma tell Binet she is doing to hide her secret?
4. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
5. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Emma begins charity work and rediscovers religious faith in Part 2: Chapter 14?
2. How does Charles' action in Part 2: Chapter 11 irrevocably change the nature of his relationship with Emma?
3. In Chapter 7, Emma receives a greyhound as a pet. Why is this gift so important to her?
4. Why does Emma allow herself to be so easily persuaded by Lhereux in Part 3: Chapter 2?
5. Monsieur Lhereux's character is developed in Part 2: Chapter 5. What clues does a reader get about his character?
6. How are Léon and Emma like honeymooners in Part 3: Chapter 3?
7. In Part 2: Chapter 9, Emma describes her emotions surrounding her relationship with Rodolphe as a "second puberty". What behaviors does she exhibit that resemble those of an adolescent?
8. What tactics does Emma use in Part 3: Chapter 3 to get to see Léon on a more regular basis?
9. By Part 3: Chapter 4, has Léon become a better person or a worse person since beginning his affair with Emma?
10. In Chapter 1, what clues are given that Charles Bovary is a member of the middle class and is considered an "ordinary" person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pathos is an emotional response to a text. Hippolyte and the blind beggar both embody tragic characteristics and are characters that should inspire much pathos in the reader, however in the way they are presented, they often do not. Do you see these two characters as sympathetic? Why or why not? Specifically note how they are described in the text. What do you think is Flaubert's purpose in describing them this way?
Essay Topic 2
In the speeches at the agricultural fair, the dignitaries often mention "duty" and Rodolphe scoffs. What are some meanings and implications of the word "duty"? How does the concept of duty play throughout the novel, specifically in the following ways:
- marital duty.
- duty to morality.
- duty to career.
Essay Topic 3
Flaubert uses one terse line at the end of Part 1: Chapter 9 to inform the reader of Emma's pregnancy. Throughout the rest of the novel, the motherhood aspect of Emma's femininity is down-played or erratic at best. Deconstruct Emma's role as a mother. What do you think her relationship was like with her own mother? What kind of mother is she to Berthe?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)