|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
2. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
3. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
4. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
5. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
2. By Part 3: Chapter 4, has Léon become a better person or a worse person since beginning his affair with Emma?
3. In Chapter 7, Emma receives a greyhound as a pet. Why is this gift so important to her?
4. What characters are introduced in Part 2: Chapter 1 that seem to be important in the day-to-day life of the small town of Yonville?
5. Why do you think Emma begins charity work and rediscovers religious faith in Part 2: Chapter 14?
6. In Part 2: Chapter 9, Emma describes her emotions surrounding her relationship with Rodolphe as a "second puberty". What behaviors does she exhibit that resemble those of an adolescent?
7. How does Rodolphe react to Emma's reappearance in his life in Part 3: Chapter 8?
8. Part 2: Chapter 7 introduces the reader to the foreshadowed relationship between Rodolphe and Emma. What are Rodolphe's perceptions of Emma's character?
9. In Part 2: Chapter 2 Emma reflects on each of the 4 different beds she has slept on in her life. How does each of these beds represent an important stage in her development as a character?
10. What character types do the animals at the fair symbolize in Chapter 2: Part 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Organized religion is critiqued and mocked throughout the novel, particularly by the actions of Monsieur Homais. Do you think Flaubert believes religion is enough to satisfy humanity's need for peace and satisfaction? Specifically comment on the following issues and how Flaubert uses them to critique organized faith:
• Emma's time at the convent.
• The character of Abbé Bournisien.
• The Cathedral at Rouen.
• Emma's funeral rites.
Essay Topic 2
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
Essay Topic 3
In the speeches at the agricultural fair, the dignitaries often mention "duty" and Rodolphe scoffs. What are some meanings and implications of the word "duty"? How does the concept of duty play throughout the novel, specifically in the following ways:
- marital duty.
- duty to morality.
- duty to career.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)