|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
2. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
3. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
4. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
5. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emma allow herself to be so easily persuaded by Lhereux in Part 3: Chapter 2?
2. What are some details about Emma's ideal wedding in Chapter 3 that seem a bit eccentric or unusual?
3. In Chapter 2, Emma is introduced to the reader. How is she described?
4. Justin is surrounded by strong-willed women. Explain his relationship with Félicité and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 12.
5. Homais and Charles are a study in contrasts. Explain their differences as revealed in Part 2: Chapter 11.
6. Monsieur Binet is able to see Emma's true nature in Part 2: Chapter 10, but does not try to create a scandal. Why do you think he chooses not to reveal her indiscretions?
7. Describe Emma's conflicting motives in her interactions with Binet, Guillaumin and Rodolphe in Part 3: Chapter 7.
8. How does Emma's attitude change towards what other people think of her in Part 2: Chapter 12?
9. Rodolphe is a very manipulative character. What are some ways he manipulates both Charles and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 9?
10. How does Charles' action in Part 2: Chapter 11 irrevocably change the nature of his relationship with Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Emma loves to read, and she has a penchant for gothic, dramatic themes. Choose one of the following genres of literature that Emma enjoys reading. Explain the genre and its main themes, and then connect these themes to Emma's own life. How do the plots in these books reveal deeper aspects of Emma's personality? - Historical novels by Sir Walter Scott. - Biographies of unhappy women. - Romantic novels.
Essay Topic 2The novel presents many tragic deaths, and the characters deal with them in often what seem like unsympathetic ways. What does this tell you about Flaubert's view of middle-class society. Describe the following deaths and how the surviving friends and family members react to them: • The death of Charles' first wife. • The death of Charles' father. • Emma's death.
Essay Topic 3Two times in the novel Emma contemplates suicide, and is successful in the second case. Why do you think she felt that she had no other options? What clues in her personality and behavior revealed that suicide would be an option to her?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)