|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
2. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
3. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
4. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
5. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the cathedral described in Part 3: Chapter 1?
2. Describe Emma's conflicting motives in her interactions with Binet, Guillaumin and Rodolphe in Part 3: Chapter 7.
3. How does Rodolphe react to Emma's reappearance in his life in Part 3: Chapter 8?
4. What characters are introduced in Part 2: Chapter 1 that seem to be important in the day-to-day life of the small town of Yonville?
5. Part 2: Chapter 7 introduces the reader to the foreshadowed relationship between Rodolphe and Emma. What are Rodolphe's perceptions of Emma's character?
6. Charles continually sacrifices to make his wife happy. Do you think this shows true selflessness or foolishness?
7. How has Emma's reputation been ruined by Part 3: Chapter 6?
8. Do you think that Emma's suicide attempt in Part 2: Chapter 13 is a sign of her true love and devotion for Rodolphe or of disappointment in the the realization that her dream of a better life is over?
9. Why does Emma allow herself to be so easily persuaded by Lhereux in Part 3: Chapter 2?
10. Describe Emma's father's reaction to her death in Part 3: Chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Homais can be considered both a hero and an anti-hero. Explain why giving examples for each view. How do you personally view Homais?
Essay Topic 2
Three characters embody the servant class in the novel: Justin, Félicité, and Mère Rollet. What are their roles in the novel? How do they interact with Emma? They are servants, but Emma also manipulates them to serve her own personal interests. Describe how she does this and what their reactions are to her both in life and in death.
Essay Topic 3
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)