|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
2. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
3. Where does Emma next see Monsieur Binet?
4. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
5. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rodolphe is a very manipulative character. What are some ways he manipulates both Charles and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 9?
2. What are some of the clichés that the dignitaries use who speak at the agricultural show in Part 2: Chapter 8?
3. Justin is surrounded by strong-willed women. Explain his relationship with Félicité and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 12.
4. Compare and contrast Emma's and Charles' initial perceptions of their marriage in Chapter 5.
5. Based on the comparison Emma makes between Charles and Léon is Part 2: Chapter 5, who do you think is better suited for her and why?
6. How has Léon changed when we meet him again in Part 3: Chapter 1?
7. How are Léon and Emma like honeymooners in Part 3: Chapter 3?
8. Explain what happens to Homais in Part 3: Chapter 11. Do you think he deserves this?
9. What subjects do Léon and Emma discuss in Part 2: Chapter 4 that reveal aspects of their personalities?
10. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Organized religion is critiqued and mocked throughout the novel, particularly by the actions of Monsieur Homais. Do you think Flaubert believes religion is enough to satisfy humanity's need for peace and satisfaction? Specifically comment on the following issues and how Flaubert uses them to critique organized faith:
• Emma's time at the convent.
• The character of Abbé Bournisien.
• The Cathedral at Rouen.
• Emma's funeral rites.
Essay Topic 2
Emma is looking for an idealized love that she quickly realizes is not to be found within a middle-class marriage. Describe Emma's ideal relationship. Who would be her perfect partner? Does such a person exist? Do you think Emma ever could have found happiness?
Essay Topic 3
Emma, Charles' mother, and the first Madame Bovary are a study in contrasts. How do these three women compare throughout the novel?
Specifically comment on the following:
- What are the similarities and differences in their appearance?
- How do they treat the men in their lives?
- Compare and contrast their goals and ideals.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)