|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charles owe money to Monsieur Homais?
(a) To pay off a loan.
(b) To pay for new clothes for Berthe.
(c) To pay him back for helping with Hippolyte.
(d) To pay for the expenses incurred during Emma's illness.
2. How long after Emma's death did her father learn of it?
(a) A week.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 24 hours.
3. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
(a) Sell it.
(b) Give it to Hippolyte.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Donate it to charity.
4. What happens to the money that Charles receives from one of his clients?
(a) He gives it to Emma to help pay her expenses.
(b) He uses it as a gift for Hippolyte.
(c) He loses it in a card game at Homais'.
(d) Emma steals it.
5. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
(a) Two wooden legs.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A grave marker.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
2. What is physically wrong with the beggar that Emma encounters on her way home to Yonville?
3. What is Emma's emotion when she leaves Lhereux after finding out about the impending auction of her possessions?
4. Besides his wife's illness, what other factor in Charles' life is causing him stress?
5. What does Emma's father do when he arrives in Yonville?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)