|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
(a) Horseback riding.
(b) Painting portraits.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Writing poetry.
2. Where does Emma sit that makes her think back on the important events of her life?
(a) In front of her old convent.
(b) In front of the opera house.
(c) By the river.
(d) In the cathedral.
3. Besides his wife's illness, what other factor in Charles' life is causing him stress?
(a) He is having financial troubles.
(b) He is getting his medical license suspended.
(c) He is having an affair.
(d) He is in poor health himself.
4. What happens when Charles encounters Emma's supposed piano teacher, Mademoiselle Lempereur?
(a) She is not familiar with Emma's name.
(b) She asks for more money.
(c) She says that Emma is a gifted student.
(d) She reveals to Charles Emma's affair.
5. After he helps the boy, how is he rewarded?
(a) He is given a large sum of money.
(b) He is given dresses for Emma and Berthe.
(c) He is given an award by the local medical society.
(d) An article is written about him in the newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Léon entertain that causes him to be late for a rendezvous with Emma?
2. How does Flaubert describe Emma's three days with Léon in Rouen?
3. What does Charles do when Emma becomes violently ill?
4. What is unusual to people about the cab that Léon and Emma ride in?
5. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)