|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he visits Emma in Yonville, where does Léon first meet her?
(a) At the Homais home.
(b) In Charles' office.
(c) In Monsieur Binet's room.
(d) In the lane behind her garden.
2. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
(a) She wants Charles out of the way so she can spend more time with Rodolphe.
(b) She wants him to become a success.
(c) She needs the money to pay back a loan from Lhereux.
(d) She feels bad for the boy and wants him to get better.
3. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
(a) He dies.
(b) He sues Charles and Homais.
(c) His foot needs to be amputated.
(d) He recovers completely.
4. What other instructions does Emma give to Léon about their correspondence?
(a) To write them in red ink.
(b) To put his letters in double envelopes.
(c) To write them in code.
(d) To make copies of them.
5. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
(a) A new carpet.
(b) New clothes for Berthe.
(c) New furniture for her living room.
(d) Fabric for a new mourning gown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emma sit that makes her think back on the important events of her life?
2. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
3. Who does Léon entertain that causes him to be late for a rendezvous with Emma?
4. What annoys Emma about Charles during the performance?
5. What happens when the Bovarys arrive at the theater?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)