|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
(a) By exchanging letters.
(b) By paintings they draw for each other.
(c) By code unknowingly transmitted by Justin.
(d) By talking through her open bedroom window.
2. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) It is a girl and not a boy.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(d) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
3. What is one of Emma's favorite pastimes?
(b) Carving figurines.
(c) Reading romance novels.
(d) Writing letters.
4. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
(a) Duck hunting.
(b) Spying on Emma.
(d) Collecting unpaid taxes from Rodolphe's neighbor.
5. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is late for dinner.
(b) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(c) He has just spoken to Léon.
(d) He is awaiting another confessor.
Short Answer Questions
1. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
2. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
3. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
4. What does Emma ask Léon to do to help her out?
5. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues does the boatman give in Part 3: Chapter 3 that suggest he has recently had Rodolphe as a customer?
2. How does Charles' mother try to relieve her son's suffering in Part 3: Chapter 10?
3. Why do you think Emma begins charity work and rediscovers religious faith in Part 2: Chapter 14?
4. By Part 2: Chapter 7, do you think Emma has become a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
5. Justin is surrounded by strong-willed women. Explain his relationship with Félicité and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 12.
6. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
7. What experiences does Emma have at the ball at La Vaubyessard in Chapter 8 that seem to redefine her perceptions and expectations?
8. What clues can you find in Part 2: Chapter 6 to Flaubert's assessment of the Church?
9. In Chapter 7, Emma receives a greyhound as a pet. Why is this gift so important to her?
10. Rodolphe is a very manipulative character. What are some ways he manipulates both Charles and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 9?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)