|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
(a) In a field behind Boulanger's house.
(b) At the Homais'.
(c) In a hidden room in Emma's house.
(d) Charles' consulting room.
2. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
(a) A cigar case.
(b) A book of poetry.
(c) A gold coin.
(d) A rose.
3. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) La Vaubyessard.
(b) At Charles' home at Tostes.
(c) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
(d) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
4. How does Rodolphe try to get on Charles' good side?
(a) By addressing him as "Doctor" when he walks into a room.
(b) By recommending his services to other upper class clients around town.
(c) By bringing him gifts.
(d) By giving him a bonus check for services rendered.
5. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
(a) He takes her to Rome.
(b) He frames her sketches.
(c) He writes her a love poem.
(d) He has a portrait painted of her by her favorite artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
2. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
3. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
4. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
5. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the cathedral described in Part 3: Chapter 1?
2. What clues can you find in Part 2: Chapter 6 to Flaubert's assessment of the Church?
3. Charles continually sacrifices to make his wife happy. Do you think this shows true selflessness or foolishness?
4. How does Charles' mother try to relieve her son's suffering in Part 3: Chapter 10?
5. How does Emma sink even deeper in debt in Part 3: Chapter 5?
6. What specifically does Charles do to help Emma recover that shows his true devotion to his wife in Part 2: Chapter 13?
7. What clues does the boatman give in Part 3: Chapter 3 that suggest he has recently had Rodolphe as a customer?
8. How does Rodolphe react to Emma's reappearance in his life in Part 3: Chapter 8?
9. What elements from "Lucie de Lammermoor" reflect themes or events in Emma's own life in Part 2: Chapter 15?
10. In Part 2: Chapter 2 Emma reflects on each of the 4 different beds she has slept on in her life. How does each of these beds represent an important stage in her development as a character?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)