|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the sheriff come to the Bovarys home?
(a) To tell Emma that her debts have been paid.
(b) To take inventory of their property.
(c) To arrest Emma.
(d) To arrest Charles.
2. Where does she decide to go as a last resort?
(a) To confess all to Charles.
(b) To La Huchette to see Rodolphe.
(c) To beg Monsieur Lhereux for mercy one last time.
(d) To Charles' mother.
3. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(a) Charles' home at Tostes.
(b) Emma's home at Bertaux.
4. Where does Emma go as a place of refuge and comfort when she feels as if she can no longer breathe?
(a) To the church.
(b) To Rouen.
(c) To see Charles.
(d) The home of Mère Rollet.
5. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
(a) Tell Charles about the affair.
(b) Run off to Paris.
(c) Find a new place to clandestinely meet.
(d) Bribe Binet to not say anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
2. What is one of Emma's favorite pastimes?
3. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
4. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
5. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the clichés that the dignitaries use who speak at the agricultural show in Part 2: Chapter 8?
2. Why does Emma seek refuge at the home of Mère Rollet in Part 2: Chapter 7?
3. Explain Charles' reaction to learning of his father's death in Part 3: Chapter 2.
4. Based on the comparison Emma makes between Charles and Léon is Part 2: Chapter 5, who do you think is better suited for her and why?
5. What tactics does Emma use in Part 3: Chapter 3 to get to see Léon on a more regular basis?
6. In Chapter 7, Emma receives a greyhound as a pet. Why is this gift so important to her?
7. What are some details about Emma's ideal wedding in Chapter 3 that seem a bit eccentric or unusual?
8. What experiences does Emma have at the ball at La Vaubyessard in Chapter 8 that seem to redefine her perceptions and expectations?
9. What characters are introduced in Part 2: Chapter 1 that seem to be important in the day-to-day life of the small town of Yonville?
10. How are the other people attending the opera described in Part 2: Chapter 15?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)