|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
(a) They are seen in an embrace.
(b) They are well-dressed and ride well.
(c) They are very clumsy on their horses.
(d) They ride too fast through the streets of the town.
2. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
(a) He is about to retire.
(b) He was cited for practicing medicine without a license.
(c) He has received many awards.
(d) He wants to change jobs and become a doctor.
3. How many different beds does Emma realize that she has slept in during her short life?
4. Why doesn't Emma buy anything from Monsieur Lhereux?
(a) She is too ill to buy anything.
(b) She doesn't want to spend the money.
(c) She wants to wait for Charles to help her decide what to purchase.
(d) He offends her with his coarse manner.
5. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
(a) Political upheaval.
(b) Local town gossip.
(d) Medicine and the weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
2. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
3. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
4. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
5. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9 the reader begins to see the more superficial side of Emma. What does Emma do in this chapter that reflects her rather tragic and wasteful life?
2. Why do you think Emma begins charity work and rediscovers religious faith in Part 2: Chapter 14?
3. How does Emma's funeral in Part 3: Chapter 9 compare with Emma's day-to-day life?
4. What experiences does Emma have at the ball at La Vaubyessard in Chapter 8 that seem to redefine her perceptions and expectations?
5. In Part 2: Chapter 9, Emma describes her emotions surrounding her relationship with Rodolphe as a "second puberty". What behaviors does she exhibit that resemble those of an adolescent?
6. Why does Emma seek refuge at the home of Mère Rollet in Part 2: Chapter 7?
7. How does Charles' mother try to relieve her son's suffering in Part 3: Chapter 10?
8. In Part 2: Chapter 3 we meet the wet nurse, Mère Rollet. Describe Mère Rollet's home as it provides a contrast to the relative luxury of Emma's home.
9. What clues does the boatman give in Part 3: Chapter 3 that suggest he has recently had Rodolphe as a customer?
10. Monsieur Binet is able to see Emma's true nature in Part 2: Chapter 10, but does not try to create a scandal. Why do you think he chooses not to reveal her indiscretions?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)