|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
(a) He continually interrupts the doctor.
(b) He confesses his love for Emma.
(c) He decides he no longer wants to be a doctor.
(d) He faints.
2. What does Monsieur Guillaumin, the notary, do when Emma comes to him for help?
(a) Gives her money.
(b) Consoles her.
(c) Tells her to seek advice from the priest.
(d) Tries to seduce her.
3. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 46 days.
4. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
(a) He gives him a house on his estate.
(b) He gives him 5 francs.
(c) He gives him a horse.
(d) He gives him 75 francs and a turkey.
5. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After dinner with Charles.
(b) In the early morning.
(c) After Berthe takes her nap.
(d) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma ask Léon to do to help her out?
2. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
3. What event does Homais disclose is coming to Yonville?
4. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
5. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Homais and Charles are a study in contrasts. Explain their differences as revealed in Part 2: Chapter 11.
2. What tactics does Emma use in Part 3: Chapter 3 to get to see Léon on a more regular basis?
3. How has Emma's reputation been ruined by Part 3: Chapter 6?
4. Justin is surrounded by strong-willed women. Explain his relationship with Félicité and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 12.
5. Part 2: Chapter 7 introduces the reader to the foreshadowed relationship between Rodolphe and Emma. What are Rodolphe's perceptions of Emma's character?
6. How does Charles' mother try to relieve her son's suffering in Part 3: Chapter 10?
7. Emma has a very fickle nature. What are some examples of this that are revealed in Part 2: Chapter 3?
8. In Chapter 7, Emma receives a greyhound as a pet. Why is this gift so important to her?
9. What character types do the animals at the fair symbolize in Chapter 2: Part 8?
10. How are the other people attending the opera described in Part 2: Chapter 15?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)