|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A new dog.
(c) A portrait of himself.
(d) An antique ring.
2. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
(a) He wants to become a pharmacist instead.
(b) He has too many patients and cannot find enough time to treat them all.
(c) He is unable to treat a suspected outbreak of disease in the town.
(d) He has few patients and is worried about money.
3. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A puppy.
(b) Some exotic plants.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A journal.
4. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
(a) She lost her faith.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) Her father died.
(d) She fell in love.
5. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 46 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 6 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emma next see Monsieur Binet?
2. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
3. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
4. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
5. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2: Chapter 2, Emma meets Léon. What is it about him that Emma finds attractive?
2. By Part 3: Chapter 4, has Léon become a better person or a worse person since beginning his affair with Emma?
3. What elements from "Lucie de Lammermoor" reflect themes or events in Emma's own life in Part 2: Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 1, what clues are given that Charles Bovary is a member of the middle class and is considered an "ordinary" person?
5. Emma has a very fickle nature. What are some examples of this that are revealed in Part 2: Chapter 3?
6. In Chapter 2, Emma is introduced to the reader. How is she described?
7. Charles continually sacrifices to make his wife happy. Do you think this shows true selflessness or foolishness?
8. What clues can you find in Part 2: Chapter 6 to Flaubert's assessment of the Church?
9. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
10. What experiences does Emma have at the ball at La Vaubyessard in Chapter 8 that seem to redefine her perceptions and expectations?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)