|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
(a) They are seen in an embrace.
(b) They are well-dressed and ride well.
(c) They ride too fast through the streets of the town.
(d) They are very clumsy on their horses.
2. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
(a) Charles' consulting room.
(b) In a hidden room in Emma's house.
(c) In a field behind Boulanger's house.
(d) At the Homais'.
3. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
(b) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
(c) He stole his wife.
(d) He competed with the man's business.
4. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
(a) His mother.
(b) Emma's father.
5. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
(a) Due to the political turmoil in the area.
(b) To be closer to his parents.
(c) Due to Emma's poor health.
(d) To be closer to Emma's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
2. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
3. What is one of Emma's favorite pastimes?
4. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
5. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Emma's reputation been ruined by Part 3: Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 1, what clues are given that Charles Bovary is a member of the middle class and is considered an "ordinary" person?
3. What subjects do Léon and Emma discuss in Part 2: Chapter 4 that reveal aspects of their personalities?
4. Describe Emma's father's reaction to her death in Part 3: Chapter 10.
5. In Chapter 9 the reader begins to see the more superficial side of Emma. What does Emma do in this chapter that reflects her rather tragic and wasteful life?
6. Explain Charles' reaction to learning of his father's death in Part 3: Chapter 2.
7. Monsieur Lhereux's character is developed in Part 2: Chapter 5. What clues does a reader get about his character?
8. What are some details about Emma's ideal wedding in Chapter 3 that seem a bit eccentric or unusual?
9. What characters are introduced in Part 2: Chapter 1 that seem to be important in the day-to-day life of the small town of Yonville?
10. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)