|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
2. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
(a) In a field behind Boulanger's house.
(b) At the Homais'.
(c) In a hidden room in Emma's house.
(d) Charles' consulting room.
3. After she throws herself into domestic life, how does Emma's appearance change?
(a) She gains a lot of weight from eating too much.
(b) She grows very thin.
(c) She drastically cuts her hair.
(d) She becomes pregnant again.
4. During the fair, a woman wins a monetary award for what remarkable achievement?
(a) She has had 11 children.
(b) She has worked at the same farm her entire life.
(c) She has raised the winning sheep for 5 years in a row.
(d) She was the first woman to win an agricultural prize.
5. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
(a) Because she decides to go shopping instead.
(b) Because she decides to confide in Charles instead.
(c) Because she is late for dinner.
(d) Because he does not have a compassionate nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
2. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
3. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
4. What does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell to Emma?
5. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Justin is surrounded by strong-willed women. Explain his relationship with Félicité and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 12.
2. What experiences does Emma have at the ball at La Vaubyessard in Chapter 8 that seem to redefine her perceptions and expectations?
3. Based on the comparison Emma makes between Charles and Léon is Part 2: Chapter 5, who do you think is better suited for her and why?
4. What character types do the animals at the fair symbolize in Chapter 2: Part 8?
5. Rodolphe is a very manipulative character. What are some ways he manipulates both Charles and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 9?
6. Do you think that Emma's suicide attempt in Part 2: Chapter 13 is a sign of her true love and devotion for Rodolphe or of disappointment in the the realization that her dream of a better life is over?
7. Compare and contrast Emma's and Charles' initial perceptions of their marriage in Chapter 5.
8. By Part 2: Chapter 7, do you think Emma has become a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
9. How does Emma's funeral in Part 3: Chapter 9 compare with Emma's day-to-day life?
10. Emma goes back and forth between passionate elation at her affair and guilt over betraying Charles in Part 2: Chapter 10. Why do you think she continues her affair with Rodolphe?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)