|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) In the forest.
(b) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
(c) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
(d) On a ship going to England.
2. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A ring.
(b) A canary.
(c) A dress.
(d) A dog.
3. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(b) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(c) He was chronically absent from work.
(d) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
4. What does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell to Emma?
(b) Dry goods and linens.
5. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
(a) So she can watch Léon walk his dog.
(b) Because she is experiencing postpartum depression.
(c) Because her bedroom is not warm enough as winter approaches.
(d) So she doesn't have to be as close to Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
2. Why doesn't Emma buy anything from Monsieur Lhereux?
3. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
4. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
5. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What specifically does Charles do to help Emma recover that shows his true devotion to his wife in Part 2: Chapter 13?
2. By Part 2: Chapter 7, do you think Emma has become a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
3. Why does Emma allow herself to be so easily persuaded by Lhereux in Part 3: Chapter 2?
4. Compare and contrast Emma's and Charles' initial perceptions of their marriage in Chapter 5.
5. Monsieur Lhereux's character is developed in Part 2: Chapter 5. What clues does a reader get about his character?
6. In Chapter 7, Emma receives a greyhound as a pet. Why is this gift so important to her?
7. Based on the comparison Emma makes between Charles and Léon is Part 2: Chapter 5, who do you think is better suited for her and why?
8. In Part 2: Chapter 2 Emma reflects on each of the 4 different beds she has slept on in her life. How does each of these beds represent an important stage in her development as a character?
9. Explain Charles' reaction to learning of his father's death in Part 3: Chapter 2.
10. How does Charles' action in Part 2: Chapter 11 irrevocably change the nature of his relationship with Emma?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)