|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
(a) He is very talkative and engages everyone he meets in conversation.
(b) He is very elaborately dressed.
(c) He is dressed very poorly.
(d) He rides a horse through the fair.
2. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
(a) Because she is experiencing postpartum depression.
(b) Because her bedroom is not warm enough as winter approaches.
(c) So she doesn't have to be as close to Charles.
(d) So she can watch Léon walk his dog.
3. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
(a) Her mother died.
(b) She lost her faith.
(c) Her father died.
(d) She fell in love.
4. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A ring.
(b) A canary.
(c) A dress.
(d) A dog.
5. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
2. Why is Boulanger's attention in such high demand at the fair?
3. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
4. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
5. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Monsieur Binet is able to see Emma's true nature in Part 2: Chapter 10, but does not try to create a scandal. Why do you think he chooses not to reveal her indiscretions?
2. Charles continually sacrifices to make his wife happy. Do you think this shows true selflessness or foolishness?
3. In Part 2: Chapter 2 Emma reflects on each of the 4 different beds she has slept on in her life. How does each of these beds represent an important stage in her development as a character?
4. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
5. What specifically does Charles do to help Emma recover that shows his true devotion to his wife in Part 2: Chapter 13?
6. In Chapter 9 the reader begins to see the more superficial side of Emma. What does Emma do in this chapter that reflects her rather tragic and wasteful life?
7. Homais and Charles are a study in contrasts. Explain their differences as revealed in Part 2: Chapter 11.
8. Based on the comparison Emma makes between Charles and Léon is Part 2: Chapter 5, who do you think is better suited for her and why?
9. What clues can you find in Part 2: Chapter 6 to Flaubert's assessment of the Church?
10. How has Emma's reputation been ruined by Part 3: Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)