|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Removes Berthe from the care of the wet nurse.
(c) Embarks on her household chores with care.
(d) Starts going to church.
2. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) It is a girl and not a boy.
(b) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
(c) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(d) All answers are correct.
3. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
(a) She lost her faith.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) She fell in love.
(d) Her father died.
4. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A journal.
(c) A puppy.
(d) Some exotic plants.
5. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
(a) A salon of political conversation.
(b) Book discussions.
(d) Excessive drinking of wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
2. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
3. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
4. Why doesn't Emma buy anything from Monsieur Lhereux?
5. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Emma's suicide attempt in Part 2: Chapter 13 is a sign of her true love and devotion for Rodolphe or of disappointment in the the realization that her dream of a better life is over?
2. Part 2: Chapter 7 introduces the reader to the foreshadowed relationship between Rodolphe and Emma. What are Rodolphe's perceptions of Emma's character?
3. Why do you think Emma begins charity work and rediscovers religious faith in Part 2: Chapter 14?
4. What elements from "Lucie de Lammermoor" reflect themes or events in Emma's own life in Part 2: Chapter 15?
5. What tactics does Emma use in Part 3: Chapter 3 to get to see Léon on a more regular basis?
6. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
7. What are some of the clichés that the dignitaries use who speak at the agricultural show in Part 2: Chapter 8?
8. Explain the differences between Homais' and Abbé Bournisien's views on religion in Part 3: Chapter 9.
9. Describe Emma's father's reaction to her death in Part 3: Chapter 10.
10. In Part 2: Chapter 3 we meet the wet nurse, Mère Rollet. Describe Mère Rollet's home as it provides a contrast to the relative luxury of Emma's home.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)