|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
(a) So she can watch Léon walk his dog.
(b) Because she is experiencing postpartum depression.
(c) Because her bedroom is not warm enough as winter approaches.
(d) So she doesn't have to be as close to Charles.
2. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Starts going to church.
(c) Removes Berthe from the care of the wet nurse.
(d) Embarks on her household chores with care.
3. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(a) Emma's home at Bertaux.
(b) Charles' home at Tostes.
4. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
(a) Medicine and the weather.
(c) Political upheaval.
(d) Local town gossip.
5. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The Bovary home.
(b) Homais' Pharmacy.
(c) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(d) The local church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
2. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
3. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
4. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
5. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the differences between Homais' and Abbé Bournisien's views on religion in Part 3: Chapter 9.
2. What character types do the animals at the fair symbolize in Chapter 2: Part 8?
3. Do you think that Emma's suicide attempt in Part 2: Chapter 13 is a sign of her true love and devotion for Rodolphe or of disappointment in the the realization that her dream of a better life is over?
4. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 9 the reader begins to see the more superficial side of Emma. What does Emma do in this chapter that reflects her rather tragic and wasteful life?
6. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
7. What subjects do Léon and Emma discuss in Part 2: Chapter 4 that reveal aspects of their personalities?
8. In Part 2: Chapter 2, Emma meets Léon. What is it about him that Emma finds attractive?
9. Why do people begin to suspect in Part 2: Chapter 4 that Léon and Emma might have affections for one another?
10. What specifically does Charles do to help Emma recover that shows his true devotion to his wife in Part 2: Chapter 13?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)