|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
(a) He wants to become a priest.
(b) He wants to join the military.
(c) He plans on being a pharmacist like his uncle.
(d) He wants to become a doctor.
2. How does Rodolphe try to get on Charles' good side?
(a) By addressing him as "Doctor" when he walks into a room.
(b) By recommending his services to other upper class clients around town.
(c) By bringing him gifts.
(d) By giving him a bonus check for services rendered.
3. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 46 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 2 years.
4. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) An antique ring.
(b) A new dress.
(c) A portrait of himself.
(d) A new dog.
5. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
(a) Popular fashions and town gossip.
(c) Childhood memories and times at school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
2. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
3. How many different beds does Emma realize that she has slept in during her short life?
4. What city does Emma dream of visiting by tracing maps of it?
5. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emma's conflicting motives in her interactions with Binet, Guillaumin and Rodolphe in Part 3: Chapter 7.
2. What are some of the clichés that the dignitaries use who speak at the agricultural show in Part 2: Chapter 8?
3. How does Charles' mother try to relieve her son's suffering in Part 3: Chapter 10?
4. Describe Emma's father's reaction to her death in Part 3: Chapter 10.
5. Emma has a very fickle nature. What are some examples of this that are revealed in Part 2: Chapter 3?
6. What clues can you find in Part 2: Chapter 6 to Flaubert's assessment of the Church?
7. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
8. Describe the beggar's appearance in Part 3: Chapter 5.
9. Homais and Charles are a study in contrasts. Explain their differences as revealed in Part 2: Chapter 11.
10. Explain the differences between Homais' and Abbé Bournisien's views on religion in Part 3: Chapter 9.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)