|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
(a) She can buy a new riding habit.
(b) She can add a new horse to their stable.
(c) She can take a trip to Paris afterwards.
(d) She can buy new living room furniture.
2. What is the name of the town clerk who boards with the Homais family and is incredibly bored with the provincial life in Yonville?
(a) Monsieur Binet.
(b) Abbé Bournisien.
(c) The previous doctor.
(d) Léon Dupuis.
3. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
(b) Political upheaval.
(c) Medicine and the weather.
(d) Local town gossip.
4. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
(a) An exotic location far away.
(b) At his parents' home.
(c) At an inn in Yonville.
(d) At her parents' home.
5. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The Bovary home.
(b) The local church.
(c) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(d) Homais' Pharmacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
2. During the fair, a woman wins a monetary award for what remarkable achievement?
3. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
4. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
5. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
2. What subjects do Léon and Emma discuss in Part 2: Chapter 4 that reveal aspects of their personalities?
3. What experiences does Emma have at the ball at La Vaubyessard in Chapter 8 that seem to redefine her perceptions and expectations?
4. Why do people begin to suspect in Part 2: Chapter 4 that Léon and Emma might have affections for one another?
5. What is Charles' reaction to learning about his wife's affairs in Part 3: Chapter 11?
6. In Part 2: Chapter 3 we meet the wet nurse, Mère Rollet. Describe Mère Rollet's home as it provides a contrast to the relative luxury of Emma's home.
7. What are some of the clichés that the dignitaries use who speak at the agricultural show in Part 2: Chapter 8?
8. How are Léon and Emma like honeymooners in Part 3: Chapter 3?
9. Rodolphe is a very manipulative character. What are some ways he manipulates both Charles and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 9?
10. How does Charles' mother try to relieve her son's suffering in Part 3: Chapter 10?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)