|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Homais disclose is coming to Yonville?
(a) A large agricultural exhibition.
(b) A display of scientific artifacts.
(c) A traveling circus.
(d) A fashion show.
2. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(b) After Berthe takes her nap.
(c) After dinner with Charles.
(d) In the early morning.
3. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
(b) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
(c) She falls and cuts her face.
(d) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
4. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
(a) By helping him write a speech for a prestigious scientific society.
(b) By taking over the pharmacy once he retires.
(c) By overseeing his advice to clients.
(d) By helping him study to become a doctor.
5. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
(a) A chicken has gotten loose in the house.
(b) Some items have been stolen.
(c) She has been caught drinking liquor.
(d) Dinner is not made.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
2. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
3. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
4. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
5. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emma allow herself to be so easily persuaded by Lhereux in Part 3: Chapter 2?
2. In Part 2: Chapter 2 Emma reflects on each of the 4 different beds she has slept on in her life. How does each of these beds represent an important stage in her development as a character?
3. Explain the differences between Homais' and Abbé Bournisien's views on religion in Part 3: Chapter 9.
4. How does Emma's attitude change towards what other people think of her in Part 2: Chapter 12?
5. What specifically does Charles do to help Emma recover that shows his true devotion to his wife in Part 2: Chapter 13?
6. In Part 2: Chapter 2, Emma meets Léon. What is it about him that Emma finds attractive?
7. Describe Emma's conflicting motives in her interactions with Binet, Guillaumin and Rodolphe in Part 3: Chapter 7.
8. How has Léon changed when we meet him again in Part 3: Chapter 1?
9. Do you think that Emma's suicide attempt in Part 2: Chapter 13 is a sign of her true love and devotion for Rodolphe or of disappointment in the the realization that her dream of a better life is over?
10. How is the cathedral described in Part 3: Chapter 1?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)