|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the fair, a woman wins a monetary award for what remarkable achievement?
(a) She has had 11 children.
(b) She was the first woman to win an agricultural prize.
(c) She has worked at the same farm her entire life.
(d) She has raised the winning sheep for 5 years in a row.
2. Upon the arrival of the Bovarys in Yonville, what does Homais do?
(a) Tells Charles his services are no longer needed.
(b) Invites himself to dinner with them.
(c) Asks the Bovarys to stay with him.
(d) Kisses Emma and causes a scandal.
3. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
(a) He writes her a love poem.
(b) He frames her sketches.
(c) He takes her to Rome.
(d) He has a portrait painted of her by her favorite artist.
4. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
(a) They are well-dressed and ride well.
(b) They ride too fast through the streets of the town.
(c) They are very clumsy on their horses.
(d) They are seen in an embrace.
5. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A journal.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A new dress.
(d) Some exotic plants.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
2. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
3. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
4. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
5. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Emma begins charity work and rediscovers religious faith in Part 2: Chapter 14?
2. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
3. What subjects do Léon and Emma discuss in Part 2: Chapter 4 that reveal aspects of their personalities?
4. In Chapter 9 the reader begins to see the more superficial side of Emma. What does Emma do in this chapter that reflects her rather tragic and wasteful life?
5. By Part 3: Chapter 4, has Léon become a better person or a worse person since beginning his affair with Emma?
6. Why does Emma allow herself to be so easily persuaded by Lhereux in Part 3: Chapter 2?
7. How has Emma's reputation been ruined by Part 3: Chapter 6?
8. Emma seeks comfort in the church in Part 2: Chapter 6. How does her interaction with Abbé Bournisien reflect on her personal interaction with religion?
9. How does Charles' action in Part 2: Chapter 11 irrevocably change the nature of his relationship with Emma?
10. In Chapter 2, Emma is introduced to the reader. How is she described?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)