|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
2. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
(a) Bribe Binet to not say anything.
(b) Tell Charles about the affair.
(c) Find a new place to clandestinely meet.
(d) Run off to Paris.
3. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
(b) He competed with the man's business.
(c) He stole his wife.
(d) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
4. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
(a) At the Homais'.
(b) In a field behind Boulanger's house.
(c) In a hidden room in Emma's house.
(d) Charles' consulting room.
5. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
(a) Emma's father.
(b) Emma's mother.
(c) Charles' father.
(d) Charles' mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
2. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
3. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
4. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
5. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charles' action in Part 2: Chapter 11 irrevocably change the nature of his relationship with Emma?
2. How is the cathedral described in Part 3: Chapter 1?
3. By Part 3: Chapter 4, has Léon become a better person or a worse person since beginning his affair with Emma?
4. Justin is surrounded by strong-willed women. Explain his relationship with Félicité and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 12.
5. How does Charles' mother try to relieve her son's suffering in Part 3: Chapter 10?
6. How does Emma's funeral in Part 3: Chapter 9 compare with Emma's day-to-day life?
7. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
8. Emma seeks comfort in the church in Part 2: Chapter 6. How does her interaction with Abbé Bournisien reflect on her personal interaction with religion?
9. What is Charles' reaction to learning about his wife's affairs in Part 3: Chapter 11?
10. In Chapter 2, Emma is introduced to the reader. How is she described?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)