|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(b) Homais' Pharmacy.
(c) The Bovary home.
(d) The local church.
2. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
(a) By helping him write a speech for a prestigious scientific society.
(b) By taking over the pharmacy once he retires.
(c) By overseeing his advice to clients.
(d) By helping him study to become a doctor.
3. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
(b) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
(c) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
(d) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
4. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
(b) Creating her wardrobe.
(c) Learning how to cook.
(d) Having an affair.
5. What is one of Emma's favorite pastimes?
(b) Writing letters.
(c) Reading romance novels.
(d) Carving figurines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
2. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
3. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
4. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
5. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Charles continually sacrifices to make his wife happy. Do you think this shows true selflessness or foolishness?
2. Based on the comparison Emma makes between Charles and Léon is Part 2: Chapter 5, who do you think is better suited for her and why?
3. By Part 3: Chapter 4, has Léon become a better person or a worse person since beginning his affair with Emma?
4. How is the cathedral described in Part 3: Chapter 1?
5. What is ironic about Emma's death in Part 3: Chapter 8?
6. Monsieur Lhereux's character is developed in Part 2: Chapter 5. What clues does a reader get about his character?
7. Do you think that Emma's suicide attempt in Part 2: Chapter 13 is a sign of her true love and devotion for Rodolphe or of disappointment in the the realization that her dream of a better life is over?
8. What experiences does Emma have at the ball at La Vaubyessard in Chapter 8 that seem to redefine her perceptions and expectations?
9. Rodolphe is a very manipulative character. What are some ways he manipulates both Charles and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 9?
10. Describe the beggar's appearance in Part 3: Chapter 5.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)