|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Boulanger's attention in such high demand at the fair?
(a) He has financed the entire fair.
(b) He has invented a groundbreaking new agricultural tool.
(c) He is one of Yonville's foremost contributors to agriculture.
(d) He has raised a prize-winning sow.
2. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
(a) Some local boys have stolen them.
(b) They were bought from a disreputable seller.
(c) They have gotten wet.
(d) The speeches go too long, and there isn't time to set them off.
3. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
(a) She begins to buy herself extravagant things.
(b) She begins doing charitable works for the poor.
(c) She spends more time doting on Berthe.
(d) She leaves Charles.
4. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She leaves him for a local priest.
(b) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(c) She is killed by a horse.
(d) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
5. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
(a) An exotic location far away.
(b) At an inn in Yonville.
(c) At her parents' home.
(d) At his parents' home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Emma buy anything from Monsieur Lhereux?
2. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
3. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
4. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
5. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Part 2: Chapter 7, do you think Emma has become a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
2. In Part 2: Chapter 3 we meet the wet nurse, Mère Rollet. Describe Mère Rollet's home as it provides a contrast to the relative luxury of Emma's home.
3. How has Emma's reputation been ruined by Part 3: Chapter 6?
4. Describe Emma's father's reaction to her death in Part 3: Chapter 10.
5. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
6. What clues does the boatman give in Part 3: Chapter 3 that suggest he has recently had Rodolphe as a customer?
7. What is ironic about Emma's death in Part 3: Chapter 8?
8. How are Léon and Emma like honeymooners in Part 3: Chapter 3?
9. Emma goes back and forth between passionate elation at her affair and guilt over betraying Charles in Part 2: Chapter 10. Why do you think she continues her affair with Rodolphe?
10. Do you think that Emma's suicide attempt in Part 2: Chapter 13 is a sign of her true love and devotion for Rodolphe or of disappointment in the the realization that her dream of a better life is over?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)