|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
(a) He wants to become a doctor.
(b) He plans on being a pharmacist like his uncle.
(c) He wants to join the military.
(d) He wants to become a priest.
2. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
3. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
4. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
(a) Emma accuses Charles of having an affair.
(b) Emma's greyhound runs away.
(c) Emma tells Charles her true feelings about her provincial life.
(d) Emma fires her new maid.
5. Upon the arrival of the Bovarys in Yonville, what does Homais do?
(a) Invites himself to dinner with them.
(b) Tells Charles his services are no longer needed.
(c) Kisses Emma and causes a scandal.
(d) Asks the Bovarys to stay with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
2. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
3. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
4. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
5. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Emma receives a greyhound as a pet. Why is this gift so important to her?
2. What subjects do Léon and Emma discuss in Part 2: Chapter 4 that reveal aspects of their personalities?
3. In Part 2: Chapter 2 Emma reflects on each of the 4 different beds she has slept on in her life. How does each of these beds represent an important stage in her development as a character?
4. Explain Charles' reaction to learning of his father's death in Part 3: Chapter 2.
5. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
6. Monsieur Lhereux's character is developed in Part 2: Chapter 5. What clues does a reader get about his character?
7. By Part 2: Chapter 7, do you think Emma has become a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
8. How are Léon and Emma like honeymooners in Part 3: Chapter 3?
9. Describe Emma's conflicting motives in her interactions with Binet, Guillaumin and Rodolphe in Part 3: Chapter 7.
10. Why does Emma allow herself to be so easily persuaded by Lhereux in Part 3: Chapter 2?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)