|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(b) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(c) He was chronically absent from work.
(d) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
2. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
(a) Charles Bovary.
(b) Leon Dupuis.
(c) Emma Bovary.
3. Where does Emma next see Monsieur Binet?
(a) At Charles' office.
(b) At Rodolphe's.
(c) At the Homais'.
(d) At her house, talking to Charles.
4. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
(b) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
(c) She falls and cuts her face.
(d) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
5. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After Berthe takes her nap.
(b) After dinner with Charles.
(c) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(d) In the early morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
2. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
3. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
4. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
5. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charles' action in Part 2: Chapter 11 irrevocably change the nature of his relationship with Emma?
2. What elements from "Lucie de Lammermoor" reflect themes or events in Emma's own life in Part 2: Chapter 15?
3. What experiences does Emma have at the ball at La Vaubyessard in Chapter 8 that seem to redefine her perceptions and expectations?
4. Monsieur Binet is able to see Emma's true nature in Part 2: Chapter 10, but does not try to create a scandal. Why do you think he chooses not to reveal her indiscretions?
5. Monsieur Lhereux's character is developed in Part 2: Chapter 5. What clues does a reader get about his character?
6. Why do people begin to suspect in Part 2: Chapter 4 that Léon and Emma might have affections for one another?
7. Based on the comparison Emma makes between Charles and Léon is Part 2: Chapter 5, who do you think is better suited for her and why?
8. Describe the beggar's appearance in Part 3: Chapter 5.
9. By Part 3: Chapter 4, has Léon become a better person or a worse person since beginning his affair with Emma?
10. Charles continually sacrifices to make his wife happy. Do you think this shows true selflessness or foolishness?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)