|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
(a) He writes her a love poem.
(b) He frames her sketches.
(c) He has a portrait painted of her by her favorite artist.
(d) He takes her to Rome.
2. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
(b) He stole his wife.
(c) He competed with the man's business.
(d) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
3. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
(a) Childhood memories and times at school.
(b) Popular fashions and town gossip.
4. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A journal.
(c) A puppy.
(d) Some exotic plants.
5. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is late for dinner.
(b) He is awaiting another confessor.
(c) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(d) He has just spoken to Léon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
2. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
3. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
4. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
5. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
2. Describe the beggar's appearance in Part 3: Chapter 5.
3. What subjects do Léon and Emma discuss in Part 2: Chapter 4 that reveal aspects of their personalities?
4. What is Charles' reaction to learning about his wife's affairs in Part 3: Chapter 11?
5. Describe Emma's father's reaction to her death in Part 3: Chapter 10.
6. In Part 2: Chapter 2, Emma meets Léon. What is it about him that Emma finds attractive?
7. In Part 2: Chapter 2 Emma reflects on each of the 4 different beds she has slept on in her life. How does each of these beds represent an important stage in her development as a character?
8. What is ironic about Emma's death in Part 3: Chapter 8?
9. Explain what happens to Homais in Part 3: Chapter 11. Do you think he deserves this?
10. By Part 3: Chapter 4, has Léon become a better person or a worse person since beginning his affair with Emma?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)