|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
(a) He wants to become a pharmacist instead.
(b) He has too many patients and cannot find enough time to treat them all.
(c) He has few patients and is worried about money.
(d) He is unable to treat a suspected outbreak of disease in the town.
2. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Starts going to church.
(c) Embarks on her household chores with care.
(d) Removes Berthe from the care of the wet nurse.
3. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After dinner with Charles.
(b) In the early morning.
(c) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(d) After Berthe takes her nap.
4. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
5. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
(b) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
(c) She falls and cuts her face.
(d) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
2. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
3. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
4. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
5. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
2. What are some details about Emma's ideal wedding in Chapter 3 that seem a bit eccentric or unusual?
3. Why do you think Emma begins charity work and rediscovers religious faith in Part 2: Chapter 14?
4. How are the other people attending the opera described in Part 2: Chapter 15?
5. Compare and contrast Emma's and Charles' initial perceptions of their marriage in Chapter 5.
6. What tactics does Emma use in Part 3: Chapter 3 to get to see Léon on a more regular basis?
7. Charles continually sacrifices to make his wife happy. Do you think this shows true selflessness or foolishness?
8. In Chapter 7, Emma receives a greyhound as a pet. Why is this gift so important to her?
9. How does Emma sink even deeper in debt in Part 3: Chapter 5?
10. Describe the beggar's appearance in Part 3: Chapter 5.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)