|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
(a) The Bovary home.
(b) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(c) The local church.
(d) Homais' Pharmacy.
2. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
(a) Because he knows that Berthe has been removed from the wet nurse.
(b) Because he knows that Emma doesn't have a dog.
(c) Because he has seen her visiting Rodolphe before.
(d) Because he knows that Rodolphe is not home.
3. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
4. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
5. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
(a) He continually interrupts the doctor.
(b) He decides he no longer wants to be a doctor.
(c) He faints.
(d) He confesses his love for Emma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
2. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
3. How does Rodolphe try to get on Charles' good side?
4. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
5. What event does Homais disclose is coming to Yonville?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character types do the animals at the fair symbolize in Chapter 2: Part 8?
2. Emma has a very fickle nature. What are some examples of this that are revealed in Part 2: Chapter 3?
3. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
4. Justin is surrounded by strong-willed women. Explain his relationship with Félicité and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 12.
5. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
6. Explain the differences between Homais' and Abbé Bournisien's views on religion in Part 3: Chapter 9.
7. Rodolphe is a very manipulative character. What are some ways he manipulates both Charles and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 9?
8. What tactics does Emma use in Part 3: Chapter 3 to get to see Léon on a more regular basis?
9. How has Emma's reputation been ruined by Part 3: Chapter 6?
10. Part 2: Chapter 7 introduces the reader to the foreshadowed relationship between Rodolphe and Emma. What are Rodolphe's perceptions of Emma's character?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)