|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
(b) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
(c) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
(d) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
2. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
(a) He gives him a horse.
(b) He gives him 75 francs and a turkey.
(c) He gives him 5 francs.
(d) He gives him a house on his estate.
3. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
(a) He is interested in becoming a doctor.
(b) He has broken his leg.
(c) For nutritional advice.
(d) For a bloodletting.
4. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
(a) He plans on being a pharmacist like his uncle.
(b) He wants to become a doctor.
(c) He wants to join the military.
(d) He wants to become a priest.
5. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) Homais' Pharmacy.
(b) The Bovary home.
(c) The local church.
(d) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
2. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
3. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
4. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
5. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What specifically does Charles do to help Emma recover that shows his true devotion to his wife in Part 2: Chapter 13?
2. Why do you think Emma begins charity work and rediscovers religious faith in Part 2: Chapter 14?
3. Justin is surrounded by strong-willed women. Explain his relationship with Félicité and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 12.
4. Monsieur Lhereux's character is developed in Part 2: Chapter 5. What clues does a reader get about his character?
5. Describe Emma's conflicting motives in her interactions with Binet, Guillaumin and Rodolphe in Part 3: Chapter 7.
6. How does Emma show in Chapter 4 that makes her wedding guests concerned about her?
7. In Chapter 7, Emma receives a greyhound as a pet. Why is this gift so important to her?
8. Emma goes back and forth between passionate elation at her affair and guilt over betraying Charles in Part 2: Chapter 10. Why do you think she continues her affair with Rodolphe?
9. By Part 2: Chapter 7, do you think Emma has become a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
10. Monsieur Binet is able to see Emma's true nature in Part 2: Chapter 10, but does not try to create a scandal. Why do you think he chooses not to reveal her indiscretions?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)