|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Emma end up confiding in about her convoluted emotions?
(b) Her maid.
2. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
(b) Emma's father.
(c) His mother.
3. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Creating her wardrobe.
(b) Learning how to cook.
(c) Having an affair.
(d) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
4. How many different beds does Emma realize that she has slept in during her short life?
5. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
2. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
3. What does Emma tell Binet she is doing to hide her secret?
4. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
5. How does Rodolphe try to get on Charles' good side?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues does the boatman give in Part 3: Chapter 3 that suggest he has recently had Rodolphe as a customer?
2. Part 2: Chapter 7 introduces the reader to the foreshadowed relationship between Rodolphe and Emma. What are Rodolphe's perceptions of Emma's character?
3. What characters are introduced in Part 2: Chapter 1 that seem to be important in the day-to-day life of the small town of Yonville?
4. What is the state of Emma and Léon's relationship by the end of Part 3: Chapter 6?
5. Emma has a very fickle nature. What are some examples of this that are revealed in Part 2: Chapter 3?
6. Rodolphe is a very manipulative character. What are some ways he manipulates both Charles and Emma in Part 2: Chapter 9?
7. Describe Emma's father's reaction to her death in Part 3: Chapter 10.
8. What is ironic about Emma's death in Part 3: Chapter 8?
9. By Part 3: Chapter 4, has Léon become a better person or a worse person since beginning his affair with Emma?
10. How does Emma's funeral in Part 3: Chapter 9 compare with Emma's day-to-day life?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)