|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What annoys Emma about Charles during the performance?
(a) He keeps talking to her.
(b) He leaves without her.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He sings along.
2. What does Charles do during Emma's funeral?
(a) He is aloof and without emotion.
(b) He rails against her character.
(c) He accuses Lhereux of causing her death.
(d) He tries to throw himself into her grave.
3. How does Homais think Charles should help the boy?
(a) By giving the boy newly developed medicines.
(b) By trying a controversial new surgical technique.
(c) By calling in an outside expert.
(d) By bloodletting.
4. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
(a) Because Hippolyte has gangrene.
(b) Because Homais wants another opinion.
(c) Because he is the boy's uncle.
(d) Because he has made a deal with Charles to split the proceeds.
5. How does Flaubert describe Emma's three days with Léon in Rouen?
(b) Like a true honeymoon.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) Like a romance from Sir Walter Scott.
6. Who had written to Emma's father to inform him of her death?
(b) Monsieur Homais.
(c) Charles' mother.
7. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
8. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
(a) He sends for Charles.
(b) He throws her out.
(c) He confesses his love for her.
(d) He mocks her.
9. How does Emma explain her absence the night she doesn't return home?
(a) She says she had taken ill.
(b) She says she was playing in a recital.
(c) She says she fell asleep.
(d) She says she missed her coach.
10. Where does Emma sit that makes her think back on the important events of her life?
(a) In front of the opera house.
(b) In the cathedral.
(c) In front of her old convent.
(d) By the river.
11. After he helps the boy, how is he rewarded?
(a) He is given an award by the local medical society.
(b) An article is written about him in the newspaper.
(c) He is given a large sum of money.
(d) He is given dresses for Emma and Berthe.
12. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By rediscovering religion.
(b) By painting portraits of her family.
(c) By reading poetry.
(d) By returning to horseback riding.
13. Once she gets a bit of money what does Emma purchase from Lhereux?
(a) Medical equipment for Charles.
(b) New draperies and a carpet.
(c) New clothes for Berthe.
(d) Furnishings for Léon's apartment.
14. How long after Emma's death did her father learn of it?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) 5 days.
(c) A week.
(d) 3 days.
15. Why does Homais think Charles should help the stable boy, Hippolyte?
(a) He has a nervous stomach.
(b) He has had an accident and broken his leg.
(c) He has a deformed foot.
(d) He has a weak heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma's father do after the funeral?
2. What does Léon's employer suggest he do about Emma?
3. What does Flaubert compare the stagecoach to?
4. Who has Lhereux sold Emma's promissory notes to?
5. What other instructions does Emma give to Léon about their correspondence?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)