|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after Emma's death did her father learn of it?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) A week.
(d) 3 days.
2. After he helps the boy, how is he rewarded?
(a) He is given an award by the local medical society.
(b) He is given a large sum of money.
(c) An article is written about him in the newspaper.
(d) He is given dresses for Emma and Berthe.
3. Once she gets a bit of money what does Emma purchase from Lhereux?
(a) Furnishings for Léon's apartment.
(b) Medical equipment for Charles.
(c) New draperies and a carpet.
(d) New clothes for Berthe.
4. What does Emma throw out of the cab at the end of the day?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) Her torn-up letter to Léon.
(c) A bouquet of flowers.
(d) Her veil.
5. Who do Charles and Emma run into at the opera?
(a) Abbé Bournisien.
(b) Monsieur Lhereux.
(c) Monsieur Homais.
6. What does Charles do during Emma's funeral?
(a) He is aloof and without emotion.
(b) He rails against her character.
(c) He tries to throw himself into her grave.
(d) He accuses Lhereux of causing her death.
7. Where do Emma and Léon decide to meet each other?
(a) At Léon's office.
(b) At Léon's apartment.
(c) At the cathedral.
(d) On a boat.
8. What annoys Emma about Charles during the performance?
(a) He leaves without her.
(b) He sings along.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He keeps talking to her.
9. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
(a) New furniture for her living room.
(b) A new carpet.
(c) New clothes for Berthe.
(d) Fabric for a new mourning gown.
10. What happens when Emma asks Rodolphe for the money?
(a) He says he needs a few days to get it.
(b) He says he will give her half.
(c) He tells her she must earn it.
(d) He says he doesn't have it.
11. What happens when the Bovarys arrive at the theater?
(a) They run into Lhereux.
(b) They are late.
(c) They get robbed.
(d) They are too early.
12. What do Léon and Emma do during their time together?
(a) Eat in a tavern.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Lie in the grass.
(d) Go on a boat ride.
13. Who had written to Emma's father to inform him of her death?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(b) Charles' mother.
14. What happens to the money that Charles receives from one of his clients?
(a) He uses it as a gift for Hippolyte.
(b) He loses it in a card game at Homais'.
(c) Emma steals it.
(d) He gives it to Emma to help pay her expenses.
15. What kind of student was Léon while he was in school in Paris?
(a) Often late for class.
(b) Conscientious and reliable.
(c) Known as being irresponsible.
(d) A braggart and know-it-all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma call out for in her final moments?
2. Who does Monsieur Homais encounter on his way home?
3. What does Charles' mother decide to do after Emma's death?
4. Who does Homais get into a religious debate with?
5. How does Charles complicate his trip with Emma?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)