|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Léon find on their boat ride that makes the boatman tell them about his previous customers?
(a) A gold ring.
(b) A love poem.
(c) A champagne glass.
(d) A silk ribbon.
2. How do Rodolphe and Emma often pass notes to each other?
(a) Folded into the pages of a book.
(b) Packed in a box of fruit.
(c) Hidden in Charles' medicine bag.
(d) They leave them under a bench.
3. Where does Emma sit that makes her think back on the important events of her life?
(a) In front of her old convent.
(b) By the river.
(c) In front of the opera house.
(d) In the cathedral.
4. Who does Homais get into a religious debate with?
(b) Abbé Bournisien.
(d) Monsieur Lhereux.
5. What is unusual to people about the cab that Léon and Emma ride in?
(a) The blinds are drawn.
(b) It is drawn by only one horse.
(c) They are riding up front with the coachman.
(d) It is stopped all day by the river.
6. What bad news does Homais break to Emma?
(a) Berthe is ill.
(b) Charles has left her.
(c) She owes him a large sum of money.
(d) Her father-in-law has died.
7. On what day of the week does Emma visit Léon in Rouen?
(d) Every other day.
8. How does Charles complicate his trip with Emma?
(a) He does not have enough money.
(b) He gets lost.
(c) He gets confused while buying tickets.
(d) He gets into an argument with the coachman.
9. Where does Emma say she got the bouquet of flowers that Léon had given her?
(b) A beggar on the street.
(d) Monsieur Homais.
10. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
(b) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
(c) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
(d) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
11. Who does Léon entertain that causes him to be late for a rendezvous with Emma?
(b) Monsieur Lhereux.
(c) Monsieur Homais.
12. Who has Lhereux sold Emma's promissory notes to?
(a) Abbé Bournisien.
(c) Monsieur Binet.
(d) Monsieur Vincart.
13. Who runs the house while Emma is ill?
(b) Monsieur Homais.
(c) Charles' mother.
14. Where do Emma and Léon decide to meet each other?
(a) At Léon's office.
(b) At the cathedral.
(c) At Léon's apartment.
(d) On a boat.
15. What does Charles do when Emma becomes violently ill?
(a) He sends for Léon.
(b) He is disgusted and leaves her.
(c) He sends for Abbé Bournisien so that she can confess.
(d) He calls for other doctors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
2. Who does Monsieur Homais encounter on his way home?
3. Who do Charles and Emma run into at the opera?
4. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
5. How does Emma explain her absence the night she doesn't return home?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)