|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emma preparing for a trip?
(a) She has decided to run off with Rodolphe.
(b) She is going to visit her father.
(c) She is going to Paris to meet Léon.
(d) She is bringing Berthe to stay with relatives.
2. What does Léon find on their boat ride that makes the boatman tell them about his previous customers?
(a) A champagne glass.
(b) A silk ribbon.
(c) A love poem.
(d) A gold ring.
3. Why does Charles leave Emma during the opera?
(a) To get some fresh air.
(b) To get her a drink.
(c) To get more money.
(d) To meet some colleagues.
4. What happens when Emma asks Rodolphe for the money?
(a) He says he will give her half.
(b) He says he needs a few days to get it.
(c) He says he doesn't have it.
(d) He tells her she must earn it.
5. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By painting portraits of her family.
(b) By returning to horseback riding.
(c) By reading poetry.
(d) By rediscovering religion.
6. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
(b) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
(c) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
(d) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
7. How does Emma try to raise the money to pay off her debts?
(a) By selling her things.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) By sending bills to Charles' patients.
(d) She asks for the remaining sum of Charles' squandered inheritance.
8. Where do Emma and Léon decide to meet each other?
(a) On a boat.
(b) At Léon's apartment.
(c) At Léon's office.
(d) At the cathedral.
9. How does Charles complicate his trip with Emma?
(a) He gets into an argument with the coachman.
(b) He does not have enough money.
(c) He gets confused while buying tickets.
(d) He gets lost.
10. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
(a) Donate it to charity.
(b) Sell it.
(c) Give it to Hippolyte.
(d) Burn it.
11. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
(a) She wants Charles out of the way so she can spend more time with Rodolphe.
(b) She feels bad for the boy and wants him to get better.
(c) She needs the money to pay back a loan from Lhereux.
(d) She wants him to become a success.
12. Who does Homais get into a religious debate with?
(a) Abbé Bournisien.
(b) Monsieur Lhereux.
13. What does Charles request as a memory of Emma?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) A portrait of her in her death shroud.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) A last kiss.
14. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
(a) A new horse.
(b) Two wooden legs.
(c) A grave marker.
(d) A cottage.
15. Why does Charles suggest Emma stay on in Rouen without him?
(a) To settle some debts.
(b) To buy some new clothes.
(c) To catch up with Léon.
(d) To see another showing of the Opera.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they leave the opera early?
2. How does Emma explain her absence the night she doesn't return home?
3. Besides his wife's illness, what other factor in Charles' life is causing him stress?
4. How does Emma's behavior begin to reflect her new, more daring lifestyle?
5. Who does Léon entertain that causes him to be late for a rendezvous with Emma?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)