|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Homais think Charles should help the boy?
(a) By giving the boy newly developed medicines.
(b) By calling in an outside expert.
(c) By bloodletting.
(d) By trying a controversial new surgical technique.
2. Why does Charles owe money to Monsieur Homais?
(a) To pay him back for helping with Hippolyte.
(b) To pay for new clothes for Berthe.
(c) To pay for the expenses incurred during Emma's illness.
(d) To pay off a loan.
3. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
(b) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
(c) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
(d) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
4. What does Emma finally convince Charles to let her do?
(a) Travel to Paris.
(b) Take piano lessons in Rouen.
(c) Move to a larger home.
(d) Visit Rodolphe.
5. Where does Emma sit that makes her think back on the important events of her life?
(a) By the river.
(b) In front of the opera house.
(c) In front of her old convent.
(d) In the cathedral.
6. How does Charles complicate his trip with Emma?
(a) He gets confused while buying tickets.
(b) He gets lost.
(c) He does not have enough money.
(d) He gets into an argument with the coachman.
7. What do Léon and Emma do during their time together?
(a) Eat in a tavern.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Go on a boat ride.
(d) Lie in the grass.
8. What does Emma tell Justin she needs the arsenic for?
(a) To commit suicide.
(b) To kill Rodolphe.
(c) To kill rats.
(d) To supplement Charles' medical supplies.
9. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
(a) Because Homais wants another opinion.
(b) Because he is the boy's uncle.
(c) Because Hippolyte has gangrene.
(d) Because he has made a deal with Charles to split the proceeds.
10. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By reading poetry.
(b) By returning to horseback riding.
(c) By painting portraits of her family.
(d) By rediscovering religion.
11. Who do Charles and Emma run into at the opera?
(b) Monsieur Homais.
(c) Monsieur Lhereux.
(d) Abbé Bournisien.
12. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
(a) Writing poetry.
(b) Playing the piano.
(c) Painting portraits.
(d) Horseback riding.
13. Why does Homais think Charles should help the stable boy, Hippolyte?
(a) He has a nervous stomach.
(b) He has a deformed foot.
(c) He has a weak heart.
(d) He has had an accident and broken his leg.
14. Where do Emma and Léon meet when they are in the city?
(a) In a stagecoach.
(b) In a gaudily decorated hotel room.
(c) In Léon's apartment.
(d) At the home of Léon's employer.
15. What happens when the Bovarys arrive at the theater?
(a) They are late.
(b) They are too early.
(c) They get robbed.
(d) They run into Lhereux.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Emma's illness last after she reads Rodolphe's letter?
2. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
3. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
4. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
5. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)