|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charles suggest Emma stay on in Rouen without him?
(a) To buy some new clothes.
(b) To settle some debts.
(c) To see another showing of the Opera.
(d) To catch up with Léon.
2. What is physically wrong with the beggar that Emma encounters on her way home to Yonville?
(a) He is covered with pestilent sores.
(b) He is missing his arms and legs.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He has a hunchback.
3. What does Léon's employer suggest he do about Emma?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Break off the affair.
(c) Take her to Paris.
(d) Pay off her debts.
4. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
(a) Horseback riding.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Painting portraits.
5. Who is absent from Emma's funeral?
(a) Monsieur Binet.
(c) All answers are correct.
6. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
(a) Visiting her father.
(b) Seeing an opera at Rouen.
(c) Hosting a dinner party.
(d) Going to a party at Homais'.
7. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
(a) Give it to Hippolyte.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Donate it to charity.
(d) Sell it.
8. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
(a) Tell Charles about the affair.
(b) Murder him.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Run after him.
9. How do Rodolphe and Emma often pass notes to each other?
(a) Hidden in Charles' medicine bag.
(b) Folded into the pages of a book.
(c) Packed in a box of fruit.
(d) They leave them under a bench.
10. What happens after Léon and Emma run into Monsieur Lhereux?
(a) Emma and Léon run off to Paris.
(b) Lhereux asks Emma for more money.
(c) Emma confesses her affair to Charles.
(d) Léon breaks off the relationship.
11. Where does Emma sit that makes her think back on the important events of her life?
(a) In the cathedral.
(b) In front of the opera house.
(c) By the river.
(d) In front of her old convent.
12. Who has Lhereux sold Emma's promissory notes to?
(a) Abbé Bournisien.
(b) Monsieur Vincart.
(d) Monsieur Binet.
13. What does Emma finally convince Charles to let her do?
(a) Visit Rodolphe.
(b) Travel to Paris.
(c) Move to a larger home.
(d) Take piano lessons in Rouen.
14. After he helps the boy, how is he rewarded?
(a) He is given a large sum of money.
(b) He is given dresses for Emma and Berthe.
(c) An article is written about him in the newspaper.
(d) He is given an award by the local medical society.
15. How does Homais cover up Emma's suicide?
(a) He says that she had a heart attack.
(b) He says that she suffered from delusions.
(c) He says she mistook arsenic for sugar.
(d) He says she was murdered by Lhereux.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
2. What does Flaubert compare the stagecoach to?
3. Why does Charles owe money to Monsieur Homais?
4. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
5. What does Charles' mother decide to do after Emma's death?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)