|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits the Bovarys and is shocked by Emma's behavior?
(b) Charles' father.
(c) Emma's father.
(d) Charles' mother.
2. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
(a) She wants Charles out of the way so she can spend more time with Rodolphe.
(b) She wants him to become a success.
(c) She needs the money to pay back a loan from Lhereux.
(d) She feels bad for the boy and wants him to get better.
3. Why does Homais think Charles should help the stable boy, Hippolyte?
(a) He has a weak heart.
(b) He has a deformed foot.
(c) He has a nervous stomach.
(d) He has had an accident and broken his leg.
4. What does Emma tell Justin she needs the arsenic for?
(a) To kill rats.
(b) To commit suicide.
(c) To supplement Charles' medical supplies.
(d) To kill Rodolphe.
5. Who does Léon entertain that causes him to be late for a rendezvous with Emma?
(b) Monsieur Lhereux.
(d) Monsieur Homais.
6. What happens when Emma arrives back at her hotel?
(a) She has missed her coach to Yonville.
(b) She runs into Rodolphe.
(c) Charles is waiting for her.
(d) She has a letter waiting for her from Lhereux.
7. Where do Emma and Léon meet when they are in the city?
(a) In a stagecoach.
(b) At the home of Léon's employer.
(c) In a gaudily decorated hotel room.
(d) In Léon's apartment.
8. Why does Charles suggest Emma stay on in Rouen without him?
(a) To buy some new clothes.
(b) To see another showing of the Opera.
(c) To settle some debts.
(d) To catch up with Léon.
9. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
(a) Because he is the boy's uncle.
(b) Because he has made a deal with Charles to split the proceeds.
(c) Because Hippolyte has gangrene.
(d) Because Homais wants another opinion.
10. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
(a) He confesses his love for her.
(b) He mocks her.
(c) He sends for Charles.
(d) He throws her out.
11. What does Charles request as a memory of Emma?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) A last kiss.
(c) A portrait of her in her death shroud.
(d) A lock of her hair.
12. What happens to the money that Charles receives from one of his clients?
(a) He loses it in a card game at Homais'.
(b) Emma steals it.
(c) He uses it as a gift for Hippolyte.
(d) He gives it to Emma to help pay her expenses.
13. Where does Charles think Emma has gone?
(a) To see Monsieur Homais.
(b) To Rouen.
(c) To see Rodolphe.
(d) To the church.
14. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
(a) A grave marker.
(b) A cottage.
(c) Two wooden legs.
(d) A new horse.
15. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
(a) A new carpet.
(b) Fabric for a new mourning gown.
(c) New clothes for Berthe.
(d) New furniture for her living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Homais cover up Emma's suicide?
2. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
3. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
4. On what day of the week does Emma visit Léon in Rouen?
5. How does Flaubert describe Emma's three days with Léon in Rouen?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)