|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Emma asks Rodolphe for the money?
(a) He says he will give her half.
(b) He tells her she must earn it.
(c) He says he doesn't have it.
(d) He says he needs a few days to get it.
2. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
(a) He mocks her.
(b) He sends for Charles.
(c) He throws her out.
(d) He confesses his love for her.
3. Who does Monsieur Homais encounter on his way home?
(c) Mère Rollet.
(d) The blind man.
4. What does Léon find on their boat ride that makes the boatman tell them about his previous customers?
(a) A champagne glass.
(b) A gold ring.
(c) A love poem.
(d) A silk ribbon.
5. When he visits Emma in Yonville, where does Léon first meet her?
(a) In Monsieur Binet's room.
(b) In Charles' office.
(c) At the Homais home.
(d) In the lane behind her garden.
6. What does Emma's father do after the funeral?
(a) Returns immediately to Bertaux.
(b) Pays a visit to Lhereux.
(c) Stays at Yonville for a few days.
(d) Spends time with Berthe.
7. What happens when Emma arrives back at her hotel?
(a) She has missed her coach to Yonville.
(b) Charles is waiting for her.
(c) She runs into Rodolphe.
(d) She has a letter waiting for her from Lhereux.
8. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
(a) New clothes for Berthe.
(b) New furniture for her living room.
(c) Fabric for a new mourning gown.
(d) A new carpet.
9. What other instructions does Emma give to Léon about their correspondence?
(a) To put his letters in double envelopes.
(b) To write them in red ink.
(c) To make copies of them.
(d) To write them in code.
10. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
11. Who is absent from Emma's funeral?
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Monsieur Binet.
12. What does Charles do when Emma becomes violently ill?
(a) He sends for Léon.
(b) He sends for Abbé Bournisien so that she can confess.
(c) He calls for other doctors.
(d) He is disgusted and leaves her.
13. What is the title of the book that Justin is caught with?
(b) Political Revolutions.
(c) Medicines and Poisons.
(d) Conjugal Love.
14. How do Rodolphe and Emma often pass notes to each other?
(a) They leave them under a bench.
(b) Folded into the pages of a book.
(c) Packed in a box of fruit.
(d) Hidden in Charles' medicine bag.
15. On what day of the week does Emma visit Léon in Rouen?
(a) Every other day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emma try to raise the money to pay off her debts?
2. What is unusual to people about the cab that Léon and Emma ride in?
3. Why does Charles leave Emma during the opera?
4. How does Homais think Charles should help the boy?
5. Where do Emma and Léon decide to meet each other?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)