|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emma's father do when he arrives in Yonville?
(a) He faints.
(b) He gets into an argument with Charles.
(c) He demands to see Monsieur Lhereux.
(d) He immediately takes over the funeral arrangements.
2. What do Léon and Emma do during their time together?
(a) Lie in the grass.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Eat in a tavern.
(d) Go on a boat ride.
3. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
(a) Hosting a dinner party.
(b) Seeing an opera at Rouen.
(c) Going to a party at Homais'.
(d) Visiting her father.
4. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
(a) Playing the piano.
(b) Horseback riding.
(c) Writing poetry.
(d) Painting portraits.
5. How does Homais explain his religious philosophy to Abbé Bournisien?
(a) He believes in Protestantism.
(b) He is a devout Catholic.
(c) He admires Christianity.
(d) He is an Atheist.
6. What other instructions does Emma give to Léon about their correspondence?
(a) To make copies of them.
(b) To put his letters in double envelopes.
(c) To write them in red ink.
(d) To write them in code.
7. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By rediscovering religion.
(b) By returning to horseback riding.
(c) By painting portraits of her family.
(d) By reading poetry.
8. What is unusual to people about the cab that Léon and Emma ride in?
(a) The blinds are drawn.
(b) It is stopped all day by the river.
(c) They are riding up front with the coachman.
(d) It is drawn by only one horse.
9. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
(a) He sends for Charles.
(b) He throws her out.
(c) He mocks her.
(d) He confesses his love for her.
10. How does Léon know where Emma was staying?
(a) He had a friend at their hotel.
(b) He followed the Bovarys the night before.
(c) He lived next door.
(d) He asked Charles.
11. How does his affair with Emma affect Léon's job?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) He neglects his work.
(c) He begins putting on airs.
(d) He avoids the company of his colleagues.
12. What happens when Emma arrives back at her hotel?
(a) She has missed her coach to Yonville.
(b) She runs into Rodolphe.
(c) Charles is waiting for her.
(d) She has a letter waiting for her from Lhereux.
13. Who had written to Emma's father to inform him of her death?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(d) Charles' mother.
14. What happens when Charles encounters Emma's supposed piano teacher, Mademoiselle Lempereur?
(a) She says that Emma is a gifted student.
(b) She asks for more money.
(c) She is not familiar with Emma's name.
(d) She reveals to Charles Emma's affair.
15. Besides his wife's illness, what other factor in Charles' life is causing him stress?
(a) He is getting his medical license suspended.
(b) He is having an affair.
(c) He is in poor health himself.
(d) He is having financial troubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he helps the boy, how is he rewarded?
2. What does Charles do during Emma's funeral?
3. Where does Emma sit that makes her think back on the important events of her life?
4. How does Emma try to raise the money to pay off her debts?
5. What does Flaubert compare the stagecoach to?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)