|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who runs the house while Emma is ill?
(a) Charles' mother.
(c) Monsieur Homais.
2. What does Emma throw out of the cab at the end of the day?
(a) Her veil.
(b) Her torn-up letter to Léon.
(c) Her wedding ring.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
3. What bad news does Homais break to Emma?
(a) Berthe is ill.
(b) She owes him a large sum of money.
(c) Charles has left her.
(d) Her father-in-law has died.
4. Who does Monsieur Homais encounter on his way home?
(a) Mère Rollet.
(b) The blind man.
5. Where does Emma say she got the bouquet of flowers that Léon had given her?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(d) A beggar on the street.
6. How does Emma explain her absence the night she doesn't return home?
(a) She says she missed her coach.
(b) She says she fell asleep.
(c) She says she was playing in a recital.
(d) She says she had taken ill.
7. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
(a) Give it to Hippolyte.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Sell it.
(d) Donate it to charity.
8. Why do they leave the opera early?
(a) They have to meet friends for dinner.
(b) It is too warm.
(c) They are tired.
(d) They need to catch their coach.
9. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
(a) Murder him.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Run after him.
(d) Tell Charles about the affair.
10. What does Flaubert compare the stagecoach to?
(a) A flying carpet.
(b) A tomb.
(c) A wedding bed.
(d) A fire pit.
11. Why is Emma preparing for a trip?
(a) She is going to visit her father.
(b) She is bringing Berthe to stay with relatives.
(c) She is going to Paris to meet Léon.
(d) She has decided to run off with Rodolphe.
12. What does Emma finally convince Charles to let her do?
(a) Visit Rodolphe.
(b) Move to a larger home.
(c) Travel to Paris.
(d) Take piano lessons in Rouen.
13. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
(a) Writing poetry.
(b) Horseback riding.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Painting portraits.
14. How does his affair with Emma affect Léon's job?
(a) He avoids the company of his colleagues.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) He neglects his work.
(d) He begins putting on airs.
15. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
(a) New furniture for her living room.
(b) New clothes for Berthe.
(c) Fabric for a new mourning gown.
(d) A new carpet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once she gets a bit of money what does Emma purchase from Lhereux?
2. Why does Homais think Charles should help the stable boy, Hippolyte?
3. What does Charles do during Emma's funeral?
4. Where do Emma and Léon decide to meet each other?
5. What does Emma tell Justin she needs the arsenic for?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)