|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Emma asks Rodolphe for the money?
(a) He says he will give her half.
(b) He tells her she must earn it.
(c) He says he doesn't have it.
(d) He says he needs a few days to get it.
2. How does Homais cover up Emma's suicide?
(a) He says that she suffered from delusions.
(b) He says that she had a heart attack.
(c) He says she was murdered by Lhereux.
(d) He says she mistook arsenic for sugar.
3. Why do they leave the opera early?
(a) It is too warm.
(b) They are tired.
(c) They have to meet friends for dinner.
(d) They need to catch their coach.
4. How does Flaubert describe Emma's three days with Léon in Rouen?
(b) Like a romance from Sir Walter Scott.
(c) Like a true honeymoon.
(d) A nightmare.
5. How does his affair with Emma affect Léon's job?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) He begins putting on airs.
(c) He neglects his work.
(d) He avoids the company of his colleagues.
6. What happens when Charles encounters Emma's supposed piano teacher, Mademoiselle Lempereur?
(a) She reveals to Charles Emma's affair.
(b) She is not familiar with Emma's name.
(c) She asks for more money.
(d) She says that Emma is a gifted student.
7. Who does Léon entertain that causes him to be late for a rendezvous with Emma?
(a) Monsieur Lhereux.
(b) Monsieur Homais.
8. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
(a) Because he is the boy's uncle.
(b) Because Hippolyte has gangrene.
(c) Because he has made a deal with Charles to split the proceeds.
(d) Because Homais wants another opinion.
9. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
(a) He confesses his love for her.
(b) He sends for Charles.
(c) He mocks her.
(d) He throws her out.
10. How does Charles complicate his trip with Emma?
(a) He gets into an argument with the coachman.
(b) He gets lost.
(c) He gets confused while buying tickets.
(d) He does not have enough money.
11. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
(a) He dies.
(b) He sues Charles and Homais.
(c) His foot needs to be amputated.
(d) He recovers completely.
12. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Murder him.
(c) Run after him.
(d) Tell Charles about the affair.
13. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Give it to Hippolyte.
(c) Sell it.
(d) Donate it to charity.
14. Why is Emma scrambling for money?
(a) She gave all of her spending money to charity.
(b) She bought Berthe too many expensive toys.
(c) She paid Rodolphe to keep their affair a secret.
(d) She has to pay off Lhereux.
15. How does Emma try to raise the money to pay off her debts?
(a) She asks for the remaining sum of Charles' squandered inheritance.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) By sending bills to Charles' patients.
(d) By selling her things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Emma arrives back at her hotel?
2. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
3. Who has Lhereux sold Emma's promissory notes to?
4. After he helps the boy, how is he rewarded?
5. Why does Charles owe money to Monsieur Homais?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)