|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Emma's illness last after she reads Rodolphe's letter?
(a) 6 months.
(b) One year.
(c) A week.
(d) 43 days.
2. What happens when the Bovarys arrive at the theater?
(a) They get robbed.
(b) They run into Lhereux.
(c) They are too early.
(d) They are late.
3. How long after Emma's death did her father learn of it?
(a) A week.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 24 hours.
4. What does Emma finally convince Charles to let her do?
(a) Take piano lessons in Rouen.
(b) Move to a larger home.
(c) Travel to Paris.
(d) Visit Rodolphe.
5. What happens when Charles encounters Emma's supposed piano teacher, Mademoiselle Lempereur?
(a) She asks for more money.
(b) She reveals to Charles Emma's affair.
(c) She says that Emma is a gifted student.
(d) She is not familiar with Emma's name.
6. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
(a) Horseback riding.
(b) Painting portraits.
(c) Writing poetry.
(d) Playing the piano.
7. What does Léon's employer suggest he do about Emma?
(a) Pay off her debts.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Take her to Paris.
(d) Break off the affair.
8. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
(a) Because Hippolyte has gangrene.
(b) Because he is the boy's uncle.
(c) Because Homais wants another opinion.
(d) Because he has made a deal with Charles to split the proceeds.
9. What does Charles do during Emma's funeral?
(a) He tries to throw himself into her grave.
(b) He rails against her character.
(c) He accuses Lhereux of causing her death.
(d) He is aloof and without emotion.
10. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
(a) He recovers completely.
(b) He dies.
(c) His foot needs to be amputated.
(d) He sues Charles and Homais.
11. What does Charles request as a memory of Emma?
(a) A portrait of her in her death shroud.
(b) A last kiss.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) Her wedding ring.
12. Who had written to Emma's father to inform him of her death?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(d) Charles' mother.
13. What other instructions does Emma give to Léon about their correspondence?
(a) To put his letters in double envelopes.
(b) To write them in red ink.
(c) To write them in code.
(d) To make copies of them.
14. What does Emma tell Justin she needs the arsenic for?
(a) To supplement Charles' medical supplies.
(b) To commit suicide.
(c) To kill Rodolphe.
(d) To kill rats.
15. Where does Emma sit that makes her think back on the important events of her life?
(a) In front of the opera house.
(b) By the river.
(c) In front of her old convent.
(d) In the cathedral.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Homais explain his religious philosophy to Abbé Bournisien?
2. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
3. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
4. What does Emma's father do when he arrives in Yonville?
5. What is unusual to people about the cab that Léon and Emma ride in?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)