|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emma finally convince Charles to let her do?
(a) Take piano lessons in Rouen.
(b) Move to a larger home.
(c) Visit Rodolphe.
(d) Travel to Paris.
2. What happens after Léon and Emma run into Monsieur Lhereux?
(a) Emma and Léon run off to Paris.
(b) Emma confesses her affair to Charles.
(c) Lhereux asks Emma for more money.
(d) Léon breaks off the relationship.
3. How does Homais explain his religious philosophy to Abbé Bournisien?
(a) He admires Christianity.
(b) He is a devout Catholic.
(c) He is an Atheist.
(d) He believes in Protestantism.
4. What happens when Charles encounters Emma's supposed piano teacher, Mademoiselle Lempereur?
(a) She is not familiar with Emma's name.
(b) She says that Emma is a gifted student.
(c) She reveals to Charles Emma's affair.
(d) She asks for more money.
5. What happens to the money that Charles receives from one of his clients?
(a) He gives it to Emma to help pay her expenses.
(b) Emma steals it.
(c) He uses it as a gift for Hippolyte.
(d) He loses it in a card game at Homais'.
6. Why is Emma preparing for a trip?
(a) She is going to Paris to meet Léon.
(b) She is going to visit her father.
(c) She is bringing Berthe to stay with relatives.
(d) She has decided to run off with Rodolphe.
7. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
(a) Sell it.
(b) Give it to Hippolyte.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Donate it to charity.
8. Who does Monsieur Homais encounter on his way home?
(c) Mère Rollet.
(d) The blind man.
9. After he helps the boy, how is he rewarded?
(a) An article is written about him in the newspaper.
(b) He is given an award by the local medical society.
(c) He is given dresses for Emma and Berthe.
(d) He is given a large sum of money.
10. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By reading poetry.
(b) By returning to horseback riding.
(c) By rediscovering religion.
(d) By painting portraits of her family.
11. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
(a) Because Homais wants another opinion.
(b) Because he is the boy's uncle.
(c) Because Hippolyte has gangrene.
(d) Because he has made a deal with Charles to split the proceeds.
12. Where does Emma say she got the bouquet of flowers that Léon had given her?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(b) A beggar on the street.
13. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
(a) Going to a party at Homais'.
(b) Seeing an opera at Rouen.
(c) Hosting a dinner party.
(d) Visiting her father.
14. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Murder him.
(c) Tell Charles about the affair.
(d) Run after him.
15. Why does Homais think Charles should help the stable boy, Hippolyte?
(a) He has had an accident and broken his leg.
(b) He has a nervous stomach.
(c) He has a weak heart.
(d) He has a deformed foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charles leave Emma during the opera?
2. How does Homais cover up Emma's suicide?
3. What is physically wrong with the beggar that Emma encounters on her way home to Yonville?
4. Why is Emma scrambling for money?
5. Besides his wife's illness, what other factor in Charles' life is causing him stress?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)