|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles request as a memory of Emma?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) A last kiss.
(c) A portrait of her in her death shroud.
(d) A lock of her hair.
2. What does Léon's employer suggest he do about Emma?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Break off the affair.
(c) Pay off her debts.
(d) Take her to Paris.
3. Who has Lhereux sold Emma's promissory notes to?
(a) Monsieur Vincart.
(b) Abbé Bournisien.
(d) Monsieur Binet.
4. How does Homais cover up Emma's suicide?
(a) He says that she had a heart attack.
(b) He says that she suffered from delusions.
(c) He says she mistook arsenic for sugar.
(d) He says she was murdered by Lhereux.
5. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
(b) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
(c) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
(d) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
6. Who is absent from Emma's funeral?
(b) All answers are correct.
(d) Monsieur Binet.
7. What does Léon find on their boat ride that makes the boatman tell them about his previous customers?
(a) A gold ring.
(b) A silk ribbon.
(c) A champagne glass.
(d) A love poem.
8. Why does Charles leave Emma during the opera?
(a) To get her a drink.
(b) To get some fresh air.
(c) To get more money.
(d) To meet some colleagues.
9. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
(a) Mère Rollet.
(b) Madame Bovary.
10. Why do they leave the opera early?
(a) They are tired.
(b) They have to meet friends for dinner.
(c) They need to catch their coach.
(d) It is too warm.
11. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By painting portraits of her family.
(b) By rediscovering religion.
(c) By returning to horseback riding.
(d) By reading poetry.
12. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
(a) She feels bad for the boy and wants him to get better.
(b) She wants him to become a success.
(c) She wants Charles out of the way so she can spend more time with Rodolphe.
(d) She needs the money to pay back a loan from Lhereux.
13. What annoys Emma about Charles during the performance?
(a) He sings along.
(b) He keeps talking to her.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He leaves without her.
14. How does Emma try to raise the money to pay off her debts?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) She asks for the remaining sum of Charles' squandered inheritance.
(c) By selling her things.
(d) By sending bills to Charles' patients.
15. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
(a) A new carpet.
(b) New furniture for her living room.
(c) Fabric for a new mourning gown.
(d) New clothes for Berthe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
2. What does Emma finally convince Charles to let her do?
3. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
4. What happens when Charles encounters Emma's supposed piano teacher, Mademoiselle Lempereur?
5. How does his affair with Emma affect Léon's job?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)