|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Flaubert compare the stagecoach to?
(a) A wedding bed.
(b) A tomb.
(c) A fire pit.
(d) A flying carpet.
2. How does Léon know where Emma was staying?
(a) He asked Charles.
(b) He lived next door.
(c) He followed the Bovarys the night before.
(d) He had a friend at their hotel.
3. Besides his wife's illness, what other factor in Charles' life is causing him stress?
(a) He is having an affair.
(b) He is having financial troubles.
(c) He is in poor health himself.
(d) He is getting his medical license suspended.
4. How does Emma try to raise the money to pay off her debts?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) She asks for the remaining sum of Charles' squandered inheritance.
(c) By sending bills to Charles' patients.
(d) By selling her things.
5. How long does Emma's illness last after she reads Rodolphe's letter?
(a) One year.
(b) A week.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 43 days.
6. On what day of the week does Emma visit Léon in Rouen?
(a) Every other day.
7. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
(a) Mère Rollet.
(c) Madame Bovary.
8. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
(a) A grave marker.
(b) Two wooden legs.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A new horse.
9. Who do Charles and Emma run into at the opera?
(a) Abbé Bournisien.
(c) Monsieur Homais.
(d) Monsieur Lhereux.
10. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
(a) He sues Charles and Homais.
(b) He recovers completely.
(c) His foot needs to be amputated.
(d) He dies.
11. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
(a) A new carpet.
(b) Fabric for a new mourning gown.
(c) New clothes for Berthe.
(d) New furniture for her living room.
12. How does Homais explain his religious philosophy to Abbé Bournisien?
(a) He is a devout Catholic.
(b) He believes in Protestantism.
(c) He admires Christianity.
(d) He is an Atheist.
13. Who does Léon entertain that causes him to be late for a rendezvous with Emma?
(b) Monsieur Lhereux.
(c) Monsieur Homais.
14. Why do they leave the opera early?
(a) They have to meet friends for dinner.
(b) They need to catch their coach.
(c) They are tired.
(d) It is too warm.
15. What is physically wrong with the beggar that Emma encounters on her way home to Yonville?
(a) He is covered with pestilent sores.
(b) He has a hunchback.
(c) He is missing his arms and legs.
(d) He is blind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
2. What does Emma throw out of the cab at the end of the day?
3. How does Emma's behavior begin to reflect her new, more daring lifestyle?
4. What are Charles' specifications for Emma's funeral?
5. How does his affair with Emma affect Léon's job?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)