|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day of the week does Emma visit Léon in Rouen?
(c) Every other day.
2. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
(b) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
(c) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
(d) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
3. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
4. How does Charles complicate his trip with Emma?
(a) He gets into an argument with the coachman.
(b) He gets confused while buying tickets.
(c) He gets lost.
(d) He does not have enough money.
5. Why is Emma preparing for a trip?
(a) She is going to visit her father.
(b) She has decided to run off with Rodolphe.
(c) She is going to Paris to meet Léon.
(d) She is bringing Berthe to stay with relatives.
6. What happens to the money that Charles receives from one of his clients?
(a) Emma steals it.
(b) He gives it to Emma to help pay her expenses.
(c) He uses it as a gift for Hippolyte.
(d) He loses it in a card game at Homais'.
7. Why does Charles leave Emma during the opera?
(a) To meet some colleagues.
(b) To get more money.
(c) To get some fresh air.
(d) To get her a drink.
8. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By reading poetry.
(b) By painting portraits of her family.
(c) By returning to horseback riding.
(d) By rediscovering religion.
9. What is unusual to people about the cab that Léon and Emma ride in?
(a) The blinds are drawn.
(b) They are riding up front with the coachman.
(c) It is drawn by only one horse.
(d) It is stopped all day by the river.
10. How long does Emma's illness last after she reads Rodolphe's letter?
(a) 6 months.
(b) One year.
(c) 43 days.
(d) A week.
11. Who does Homais get into a religious debate with?
(b) Abbé Bournisien.
(c) Monsieur Lhereux.
12. How does Léon know where Emma was staying?
(a) He had a friend at their hotel.
(b) He asked Charles.
(c) He lived next door.
(d) He followed the Bovarys the night before.
13. Who does Emma call out for in her final moments?
(a) The blind man.
14. What kind of student was Léon while he was in school in Paris?
(a) A braggart and know-it-all.
(b) Conscientious and reliable.
(c) Often late for class.
(d) Known as being irresponsible.
15. Where does Emma say she got the bouquet of flowers that Léon had given her?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(b) A beggar on the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Bovarys arrive at the theater?
2. What happens when Charles encounters Emma's supposed piano teacher, Mademoiselle Lempereur?
3. What does Emma tell Justin she needs the arsenic for?
4. Who does Emma decide to consult with about gaining power of attorney?
5. How does Flaubert describe Emma's three days with Léon in Rouen?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)