|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day of the week does Emma visit Léon in Rouen?
(b) Every other day.
2. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By rediscovering religion.
(b) By returning to horseback riding.
(c) By painting portraits of her family.
(d) By reading poetry.
3. Why does Charles owe money to Monsieur Homais?
(a) To pay for the expenses incurred during Emma's illness.
(b) To pay for new clothes for Berthe.
(c) To pay off a loan.
(d) To pay him back for helping with Hippolyte.
4. What kind of student was Léon while he was in school in Paris?
(a) Often late for class.
(b) Known as being irresponsible.
(c) A braggart and know-it-all.
(d) Conscientious and reliable.
5. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
(a) Horseback riding.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Painting portraits.
6. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
(c) Mère Rollet.
(d) Madame Bovary.
7. Who does Emma call out for in her final moments?
(d) The blind man.
8. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
(a) Hosting a dinner party.
(b) Visiting her father.
(c) Seeing an opera at Rouen.
(d) Going to a party at Homais'.
9. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
(a) She wants Charles out of the way so she can spend more time with Rodolphe.
(b) She wants him to become a success.
(c) She feels bad for the boy and wants him to get better.
(d) She needs the money to pay back a loan from Lhereux.
10. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
(b) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
(c) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
(d) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
11. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
(a) He recovers completely.
(b) He sues Charles and Homais.
(c) He dies.
(d) His foot needs to be amputated.
12. Who runs the house while Emma is ill?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(b) Charles' mother.
13. How does his affair with Emma affect Léon's job?
(a) He avoids the company of his colleagues.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) He neglects his work.
(d) He begins putting on airs.
14. How long does Emma's illness last after she reads Rodolphe's letter?
(a) 43 days.
(b) A week.
(c) 6 months.
(d) One year.
15. Who does Monsieur Homais encounter on his way home?
(b) Mère Rollet.
(d) The blind man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Charles' specifications for Emma's funeral?
2. What is Emma's emotion when she leaves Lhereux after finding out about the impending auction of her possessions?
3. Once she gets a bit of money what does Emma purchase from Lhereux?
4. How does Flaubert describe Emma's three days with Léon in Rouen?
5. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)