|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Emma asks Rodolphe for the money?
(a) He says he will give her half.
(b) He says he needs a few days to get it.
(c) He says he doesn't have it.
(d) He tells her she must earn it.
2. What happens when Emma arrives back at her hotel?
(a) She runs into Rodolphe.
(b) She has missed her coach to Yonville.
(c) Charles is waiting for her.
(d) She has a letter waiting for her from Lhereux.
3. What does Léon's employer suggest he do about Emma?
(a) Break off the affair.
(b) Take her to Paris.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Pay off her debts.
4. Where does Emma sit that makes her think back on the important events of her life?
(a) By the river.
(b) In front of her old convent.
(c) In front of the opera house.
(d) In the cathedral.
5. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
(a) Because he is the boy's uncle.
(b) Because Homais wants another opinion.
(c) Because he has made a deal with Charles to split the proceeds.
(d) Because Hippolyte has gangrene.
6. What does Emma's father do after the funeral?
(a) Spends time with Berthe.
(b) Pays a visit to Lhereux.
(c) Returns immediately to Bertaux.
(d) Stays at Yonville for a few days.
7. Who has Lhereux sold Emma's promissory notes to?
(b) Monsieur Vincart.
(c) Abbé Bournisien.
(d) Monsieur Binet.
8. Where does Emma say she got the bouquet of flowers that Léon had given her?
(a) A beggar on the street.
(c) Monsieur Homais.
9. What does Charles request as a memory of Emma?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) A last kiss.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) A portrait of her in her death shroud.
10. How does Emma's behavior begin to reflect her new, more daring lifestyle?
(a) She begins wearing different fashions than she did before.
(b) She speaks openly of political and religious issues.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) She smokes in public.
11. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
(a) Going to a party at Homais'.
(b) Seeing an opera at Rouen.
(c) Visiting her father.
(d) Hosting a dinner party.
12. Who had written to Emma's father to inform him of her death?
(b) Monsieur Homais.
(c) Charles' mother.
13. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
(a) Donate it to charity.
(b) Give it to Hippolyte.
(c) Sell it.
(d) Burn it.
14. What is physically wrong with the beggar that Emma encounters on her way home to Yonville?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He is missing his arms and legs.
(c) He is covered with pestilent sores.
(d) He has a hunchback.
15. Who is absent from Emma's funeral?
(b) Monsieur Binet.
(d) All answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
2. What does Charles' mother decide to do after Emma's death?
3. Who runs the house while Emma is ill?
4. What annoys Emma about Charles during the performance?
5. How does his affair with Emma affect Léon's job?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)