|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of student was Léon while he was in school in Paris?
(a) Often late for class.
(b) A braggart and know-it-all.
(c) Conscientious and reliable.
(d) Known as being irresponsible.
2. When he visits Emma in Yonville, where does Léon first meet her?
(a) In Charles' office.
(b) At the Homais home.
(c) In the lane behind her garden.
(d) In Monsieur Binet's room.
3. What happens when the Bovarys arrive at the theater?
(a) They are too early.
(b) They are late.
(c) They get robbed.
(d) They run into Lhereux.
4. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
(a) Two wooden legs.
(b) A cottage.
(c) A grave marker.
(d) A new horse.
5. How long after Emma's death did her father learn of it?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) A week.
(d) 24 hours.
6. How long does Emma's illness last after she reads Rodolphe's letter?
(a) A week.
(b) One year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 43 days.
7. What happens when Charles encounters Emma's supposed piano teacher, Mademoiselle Lempereur?
(a) She asks for more money.
(b) She says that Emma is a gifted student.
(c) She is not familiar with Emma's name.
(d) She reveals to Charles Emma's affair.
8. Who has Lhereux sold Emma's promissory notes to?
(a) Abbé Bournisien.
(b) Monsieur Vincart.
(c) Monsieur Binet.
9. How does his affair with Emma affect Léon's job?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) He avoids the company of his colleagues.
(c) He neglects his work.
(d) He begins putting on airs.
10. How do Rodolphe and Emma often pass notes to each other?
(a) Packed in a box of fruit.
(b) Folded into the pages of a book.
(c) Hidden in Charles' medicine bag.
(d) They leave them under a bench.
11. How does Flaubert describe Emma's three days with Léon in Rouen?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) Like a true honeymoon.
(d) Like a romance from Sir Walter Scott.
12. What does Charles do during Emma's funeral?
(a) He tries to throw himself into her grave.
(b) He accuses Lhereux of causing her death.
(c) He is aloof and without emotion.
(d) He rails against her character.
13. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
(a) He sues Charles and Homais.
(b) He dies.
(c) His foot needs to be amputated.
(d) He recovers completely.
14. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
(a) Madame Bovary.
(c) Mère Rollet.
15. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
(b) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
(c) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
(d) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
2. To whom does the boatman allude having been on the boat recently?
3. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
4. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
5. What happens after Léon and Emma run into Monsieur Lhereux?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)