|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emma throw out of the cab at the end of the day?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) Her torn-up letter to Léon.
(c) Her wedding ring.
(d) Her veil.
2. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
(a) Because Homais wants another opinion.
(b) Because he is the boy's uncle.
(c) Because he has made a deal with Charles to split the proceeds.
(d) Because Hippolyte has gangrene.
3. What happens to the money that Charles receives from one of his clients?
(a) Emma steals it.
(b) He loses it in a card game at Homais'.
(c) He gives it to Emma to help pay her expenses.
(d) He uses it as a gift for Hippolyte.
4. Who does Emma decide to consult with about gaining power of attorney?
(a) Monsieur Lhereux.
(c) Abbé Bournisien.
(d) Monsieur Homais.
5. What does Charles request as a memory of Emma?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) A portrait of her in her death shroud.
(c) A last kiss.
(d) A lock of her hair.
6. What do Léon and Emma do during their time together?
(a) Lie in the grass.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Eat in a tavern.
(d) Go on a boat ride.
7. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
(a) She feels bad for the boy and wants him to get better.
(b) She needs the money to pay back a loan from Lhereux.
(c) She wants Charles out of the way so she can spend more time with Rodolphe.
(d) She wants him to become a success.
8. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
(a) Madame Bovary.
(b) Mère Rollet.
9. What are Charles' specifications for Emma's funeral?
(a) She should have 3 coffins.
(b) She should be buried in her wedding dress.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) No expense is to be spared.
10. What does Charles do when Emma becomes violently ill?
(a) He sends for Léon.
(b) He is disgusted and leaves her.
(c) He sends for Abbé Bournisien so that she can confess.
(d) He calls for other doctors.
11. How long does Emma's illness last after she reads Rodolphe's letter?
(a) 43 days.
(b) A week.
(c) 6 months.
(d) One year.
12. Who does Emma call out for in her final moments?
(a) The blind man.
13. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
(a) Run after him.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Tell Charles about the affair.
(d) Murder him.
14. How does Emma explain her absence the night she doesn't return home?
(a) She says she missed her coach.
(b) She says she had taken ill.
(c) She says she was playing in a recital.
(d) She says she fell asleep.
15. What does Emma's father do after the funeral?
(a) Stays at Yonville for a few days.
(b) Pays a visit to Lhereux.
(c) Returns immediately to Bertaux.
(d) Spends time with Berthe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
2. How does Homais cover up Emma's suicide?
3. What happens when Emma asks Rodolphe for the money?
4. How does Léon know where Emma was staying?
5. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)