|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Charles' specifications for Emma's funeral?
(a) No expense is to be spared.
(b) She should have 3 coffins.
(c) She should be buried in her wedding dress.
(d) All answers are correct.
2. What is unusual to people about the cab that Léon and Emma ride in?
(a) It is drawn by only one horse.
(b) It is stopped all day by the river.
(c) They are riding up front with the coachman.
(d) The blinds are drawn.
3. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By painting portraits of her family.
(b) By rediscovering religion.
(c) By reading poetry.
(d) By returning to horseback riding.
4. Who is absent from Emma's funeral?
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Monsieur Binet.
5. What does Emma threaten to do to her beloved piano?
(a) Give it to Hippolyte.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Sell it.
(d) Donate it to charity.
6. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
(a) She wants Charles out of the way so she can spend more time with Rodolphe.
(b) She needs the money to pay back a loan from Lhereux.
(c) She feels bad for the boy and wants him to get better.
(d) She wants him to become a success.
7. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
(a) Fabric for a new mourning gown.
(b) A new carpet.
(c) New furniture for her living room.
(d) New clothes for Berthe.
8. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
(a) He confesses his love for her.
(b) He mocks her.
(c) He sends for Charles.
(d) He throws her out.
9. What happens after Léon and Emma run into Monsieur Lhereux?
(a) Léon breaks off the relationship.
(b) Emma confesses her affair to Charles.
(c) Emma and Léon run off to Paris.
(d) Lhereux asks Emma for more money.
10. What does Charles do when Emma becomes violently ill?
(a) He calls for other doctors.
(b) He is disgusted and leaves her.
(c) He sends for Léon.
(d) He sends for Abbé Bournisien so that she can confess.
11. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
(a) He dies.
(b) He recovers completely.
(c) His foot needs to be amputated.
(d) He sues Charles and Homais.
12. How does Charles complicate his trip with Emma?
(a) He does not have enough money.
(b) He gets lost.
(c) He gets confused while buying tickets.
(d) He gets into an argument with the coachman.
13. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
(a) Because he has made a deal with Charles to split the proceeds.
(b) Because he is the boy's uncle.
(c) Because Homais wants another opinion.
(d) Because Hippolyte has gangrene.
14. Why do they leave the opera early?
(a) They need to catch their coach.
(b) They are tired.
(c) They have to meet friends for dinner.
(d) It is too warm.
15. What happens when Charles encounters Emma's supposed piano teacher, Mademoiselle Lempereur?
(a) She is not familiar with Emma's name.
(b) She asks for more money.
(c) She reveals to Charles Emma's affair.
(d) She says that Emma is a gifted student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad news does Homais break to Emma?
2. Why does Charles leave Emma during the opera?
3. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
4. What is the title of the book that Justin is caught with?
5. On what day of the week does Emma visit Léon in Rouen?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)