|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charles leave Emma during the opera?
(a) To get her a drink.
(b) To get more money.
(c) To get some fresh air.
(d) To meet some colleagues.
2. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
(b) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
(c) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
(d) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
3. After he helps the boy, how is he rewarded?
(a) He is given an award by the local medical society.
(b) He is given dresses for Emma and Berthe.
(c) An article is written about him in the newspaper.
(d) He is given a large sum of money.
4. What does Flaubert compare the stagecoach to?
(a) A tomb.
(b) A wedding bed.
(c) A fire pit.
(d) A flying carpet.
5. What does Charles' mother decide to do after Emma's death?
(a) Move in with him in Yonville.
(b) Take him on a tour of Europe.
(c) Take him to Paris.
(d) Try to find him a new wife.
6. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
(a) Hosting a dinner party.
(b) Visiting her father.
(c) Seeing an opera at Rouen.
(d) Going to a party at Homais'.
7. How does Léon know where Emma was staying?
(a) He lived next door.
(b) He asked Charles.
(c) He had a friend at their hotel.
(d) He followed the Bovarys the night before.
8. What hobby does Emma decide to pursue again?
(a) Playing the piano.
(b) Horseback riding.
(c) Writing poetry.
(d) Painting portraits.
9. What annoys Emma about Charles during the performance?
(a) He leaves without her.
(b) He sings along.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He keeps talking to her.
10. What does Emma throw out of the cab at the end of the day?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) Her veil.
(d) Her torn-up letter to Léon.
11. Why does Charles owe money to Monsieur Homais?
(a) To pay for the expenses incurred during Emma's illness.
(b) To pay off a loan.
(c) To pay for new clothes for Berthe.
(d) To pay him back for helping with Hippolyte.
12. How does Emma try to recuperate from her illness after a talk with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) By reading poetry.
(b) By rediscovering religion.
(c) By returning to horseback riding.
(d) By painting portraits of her family.
13. How long does Emma's illness last after she reads Rodolphe's letter?
(a) 6 months.
(b) One year.
(c) 43 days.
(d) A week.
14. Who is absent from Emma's funeral?
(b) All answers are correct.
(d) Monsieur Binet.
15. What bad news does Homais break to Emma?
(a) She owes him a large sum of money.
(b) Charles has left her.
(c) Berthe is ill.
(d) Her father-in-law has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Charles' specifications for Emma's funeral?
2. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
3. Who does Emma decide to consult with about gaining power of attorney?
4. Who does Léon entertain that causes him to be late for a rendezvous with Emma?
5. Who had written to Emma's father to inform him of her death?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)