|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emma preparing for a trip?
(a) She is going to Paris to meet Léon.
(b) She is bringing Berthe to stay with relatives.
(c) She has decided to run off with Rodolphe.
(d) She is going to visit her father.
2. Who had written to Emma's father to inform him of her death?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(c) Charles' mother.
3. Why does Charles suggest Emma stay on in Rouen without him?
(a) To settle some debts.
(b) To catch up with Léon.
(c) To buy some new clothes.
(d) To see another showing of the Opera.
4. What does Emma's father do after the funeral?
(a) Stays at Yonville for a few days.
(b) Spends time with Berthe.
(c) Returns immediately to Bertaux.
(d) Pays a visit to Lhereux.
5. After he helps the boy, how is he rewarded?
(a) An article is written about him in the newspaper.
(b) He is given dresses for Emma and Berthe.
(c) He is given a large sum of money.
(d) He is given an award by the local medical society.
6. What happens when Emma arrives back at her hotel?
(a) She has a letter waiting for her from Lhereux.
(b) She has missed her coach to Yonville.
(c) Charles is waiting for her.
(d) She runs into Rodolphe.
7. What does Léon find on their boat ride that makes the boatman tell them about his previous customers?
(a) A champagne glass.
(b) A love poem.
(c) A gold ring.
(d) A silk ribbon.
8. Where do Emma and Léon decide to meet each other?
(a) At Léon's apartment.
(b) On a boat.
(c) At the cathedral.
(d) At Léon's office.
9. Where does Emma say she got the bouquet of flowers that Léon had given her?
(a) A beggar on the street.
(b) Monsieur Homais.
10. After suggesting a method of gaining more money for Emma, what does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell her?
(a) Fabric for a new mourning gown.
(b) New furniture for her living room.
(c) New clothes for Berthe.
(d) A new carpet.
11. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
(b) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
(c) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
(d) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
12. Who runs the house while Emma is ill?
(c) Charles' mother.
(d) Monsieur Homais.
13. What annoys Emma about Charles during the performance?
(a) He sings along.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He keeps talking to her.
(d) He leaves without her.
14. How does his affair with Emma affect Léon's job?
(a) He begins putting on airs.
(b) He neglects his work.
(c) He avoids the company of his colleagues.
(d) All answers are correct.
15. What does Emma tell Justin she needs the arsenic for?
(a) To supplement Charles' medical supplies.
(b) To commit suicide.
(c) To kill rats.
(d) To kill Rodolphe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodolphe do upon seeing Emma again?
2. What do Léon and Emma do during their time together?
3. Who does Homais get into a religious debate with?
4. What is the name of the tenor featured in the opera the Bovarys see?
5. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)