|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
(a) She feels that life is boring and uneventful.
(b) She wants to become a nun.
(c) She misses her best friend.
(d) She has ended an unsatisfying love affair.
2. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
3. During the fair, a woman wins a monetary award for what remarkable achievement?
(a) She has worked at the same farm her entire life.
(b) She has had 11 children.
(c) She was the first woman to win an agricultural prize.
(d) She has raised the winning sheep for 5 years in a row.
4. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
(a) Her bridal bouquet.
(b) Her wedding dress.
(c) Her love letters from Charles.
(d) Her favorite books.
5. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
(a) To be closer to Emma's parents.
(b) Due to the political turmoil in the area.
(c) To be closer to his parents.
(d) Due to Emma's poor health.
6. After she throws herself into domestic life, how does Emma's appearance change?
(a) She becomes pregnant again.
(b) She grows very thin.
(c) She drastically cuts her hair.
(d) She gains a lot of weight from eating too much.
7. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
8. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
(a) She begins doing charitable works for the poor.
(b) She leaves Charles.
(c) She spends more time doting on Berthe.
(d) She begins to buy herself extravagant things.
9. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
(a) Emma's father.
(b) Charles' mother.
(c) Charles' father.
(d) Emma's mother.
10. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
(a) By taking over the pharmacy once he retires.
(b) By helping him study to become a doctor.
(c) By helping him write a speech for a prestigious scientific society.
(d) By overseeing his advice to clients.
11. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
(a) He has a portrait painted of her by her favorite artist.
(b) He frames her sketches.
(c) He takes her to Rome.
(d) He writes her a love poem.
12. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
(a) She can buy new living room furniture.
(b) She can take a trip to Paris afterwards.
(c) She can buy a new riding habit.
(d) She can add a new horse to their stable.
13. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A dress.
(b) A canary.
(c) A dog.
(d) A ring.
14. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
(a) Emma fires her new maid.
(b) Emma tells Charles her true feelings about her provincial life.
(c) Emma accuses Charles of having an affair.
(d) Emma's greyhound runs away.
15. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
(a) Because he knows that Rodolphe is not home.
(b) Because he knows that Emma doesn't have a dog.
(c) Because he has seen her visiting Rodolphe before.
(d) Because he knows that Berthe has been removed from the wet nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What present does Emma give to Léon?
2. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
3. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
4. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
5. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)