|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
(b) Only the priest and Emma's father.
2. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
(b) Monsieur Homais.
(d) Charles' father.
3. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
(b) Leon Dupuis.
(c) A visiting priest.
(d) A spinster who helped with the sewing.
4. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was chronically absent from work.
(b) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(c) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(d) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
5. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He competed with the man's business.
(b) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
(c) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
(d) He stole his wife.
6. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
(c) Popular fashions and town gossip.
(d) Childhood memories and times at school.
7. What event does Homais disclose is coming to Yonville?
(a) A large agricultural exhibition.
(b) A display of scientific artifacts.
(c) A traveling circus.
(d) A fashion show.
8. Where is Emma when she compares her husband to Léon and begins to realize that she is no longer in love with her husband?
(a) At her husband's office.
(b) Watching a flax mill being built.
(c) At a wedding.
(d) At a horse race.
9. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The local church.
(b) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(c) The Bovary home.
(d) Homais' Pharmacy.
10. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
(a) A cigar case.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) A rose.
(d) A book of poetry.
11. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
(d) Far away places.
12. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
(a) Due to the political turmoil in the area.
(b) Due to Emma's poor health.
(c) To be closer to Emma's parents.
(d) To be closer to his parents.
13. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
(a) By taking over the pharmacy once he retires.
(b) By overseeing his advice to clients.
(c) By helping him study to become a doctor.
(d) By helping him write a speech for a prestigious scientific society.
14. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(b) Charles' home at Tostes.
(c) Emma's home at Bertaux.
15. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
(a) Because he is in love with Emma.
(b) Because he wants to become a doctor like Charles.
(c) Because he has a crush on the maid.
(d) Because he no longer wants to work for his uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
2. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
3. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
4. Where does Emma next see Monsieur Binet?
5. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)