|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
(a) To practice for an upcoming race.
(b) To improve her health.
(c) To give her a chance to meet other townspeople.
(d) To test a new horse he is interested in purchasing.
2. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
(a) She can buy new living room furniture.
(b) She can take a trip to Paris afterwards.
(c) She can add a new horse to their stable.
(d) She can buy a new riding habit.
3. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
4. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
(a) To be closer to his parents.
(b) Due to Emma's poor health.
(c) To be closer to Emma's parents.
(d) Due to the political turmoil in the area.
5. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was chronically absent from work.
(b) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(c) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(d) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
6. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A journal.
(b) Some exotic plants.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A new dress.
7. Where does Emma go as a place of refuge and comfort when she feels as if she can no longer breathe?
(a) The home of Mère Rollet.
(b) To the church.
(c) To see Charles.
(d) To Rouen.
8. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
(a) The agricultural show.
(b) During one of the Homais' Sunday parties.
(c) At a dance he is organizing.
(d) Emma's home.
9. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
(b) La Vaubyessard.
(c) At Charles' home at Tostes.
(d) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
10. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
(a) They take long horseback rides together.
(b) They always write letters to each other.
(c) They eat together and take walks together.
(d) They read romance novels together.
11. What event does Homais disclose is coming to Yonville?
(a) A fashion show.
(b) A display of scientific artifacts.
(c) A large agricultural exhibition.
(d) A traveling circus.
12. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
(a) A rose.
(b) A cigar case.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) A gold coin.
13. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
(a) The Bovary home.
(b) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(c) Homais' Pharmacy.
(d) The local church.
14. What present does Emma give to Léon?
(a) An ornate coverlet.
(b) A puppy.
(c) Some exotic plants.
(d) A journal.
15. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) On a ship going to England.
(b) In the forest.
(c) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
(d) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emma next see Monsieur Binet?
2. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
3. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
4. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
5. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)