|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
(a) She misses her best friend.
(b) She wants to become a nun.
(c) She has ended an unsatisfying love affair.
(d) She feels that life is boring and uneventful.
2. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She falls and cuts her face.
(b) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
(c) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
(d) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
3. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
4. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
(b) Monsieur Homais.
(c) Charles' father.
5. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Starts going to church.
(c) Removes Berthe from the care of the wet nurse.
(d) Embarks on her household chores with care.
6. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
(a) He gives him 5 francs.
(b) He gives him 75 francs and a turkey.
(c) He gives him a horse.
(d) He gives him a house on his estate.
7. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) In the forest.
(b) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
(c) On a ship going to England.
(d) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
8. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
(b) Only the priest and Emma's father.
9. What city does Emma dream of visiting by tracing maps of it?
(b) New York.
10. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A new dress.
(b) Some exotic plants.
(c) A journal.
(d) A puppy.
11. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
(a) Because she decides to go shopping instead.
(b) Because she is late for dinner.
(c) Because she decides to confide in Charles instead.
(d) Because he does not have a compassionate nature.
12. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) La Vaubyessard.
(b) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
(c) At Charles' home at Tostes.
(d) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
13. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
(c) His mother.
(d) Emma's father.
14. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(b) Emma's home at Bertaux.
(d) Charles' home at Tostes.
15. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) A new dog.
(b) An antique ring.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A portrait of himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
2. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
3. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
4. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
5. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)