|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
(a) By taking over the pharmacy once he retires.
(b) By overseeing his advice to clients.
(c) By helping him study to become a doctor.
(d) By helping him write a speech for a prestigious scientific society.
2. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She is killed by a horse.
(b) She leaves him for a local priest.
(c) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(d) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
3. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
(a) He has received many awards.
(b) He is about to retire.
(c) He was cited for practicing medicine without a license.
(d) He wants to change jobs and become a doctor.
4. Where does Emma next see Monsieur Binet?
(a) At Charles' office.
(b) At the Homais'.
(c) At her house, talking to Charles.
(d) At Rodolphe's.
5. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
(a) He has a portrait painted of her by her favorite artist.
(b) He writes her a love poem.
(c) He frames her sketches.
(d) He takes her to Rome.
6. Who does Emma end up confiding in about her convoluted emotions?
(b) Her maid.
7. What is the name of the town clerk who boards with the Homais family and is incredibly bored with the provincial life in Yonville?
(a) Monsieur Binet.
(b) Léon Dupuis.
(c) The previous doctor.
(d) Abbé Bournisien.
8. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) La Vaubyessard.
(b) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
(c) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
(d) At Charles' home at Tostes.
9. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He has just spoken to Léon.
(b) He is awaiting another confessor.
(c) He is late for dinner.
(d) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
10. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(b) Charles' father.
11. What city does Emma dream of visiting by tracing maps of it?
(a) New York.
12. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A ring.
(b) A canary.
(c) A dress.
(d) A dog.
13. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
(a) They are seen in an embrace.
(b) They are well-dressed and ride well.
(c) They are very clumsy on their horses.
(d) They ride too fast through the streets of the town.
14. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
(a) He is interested in becoming a doctor.
(b) He has broken his leg.
(c) For a bloodletting.
(d) For nutritional advice.
15. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
(a) Homais' Pharmacy.
(b) The local church.
(c) The Bovary home.
(d) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
2. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
3. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
4. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
5. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)