|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
(a) He continually interrupts the doctor.
(b) He confesses his love for Emma.
(c) He decides he no longer wants to be a doctor.
(d) He faints.
2. Why is Boulanger's attention in such high demand at the fair?
(a) He has invented a groundbreaking new agricultural tool.
(b) He has financed the entire fair.
(c) He has raised a prize-winning sow.
(d) He is one of Yonville's foremost contributors to agriculture.
3. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
(a) It still has boarders living in it.
(b) It is a mere cottage and not up to Emma's standards.
(c) It is infested with mice.
(d) It is well-designed but in disarray.
4. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
5. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
6. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
(a) At an inn in Yonville.
(b) At her parents' home.
(c) At his parents' home.
(d) An exotic location far away.
7. What present does Emma give to Léon?
(a) A puppy.
(b) An ornate coverlet.
(c) Some exotic plants.
(d) A journal.
8. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
(a) Her love letters from Charles.
(b) Her favorite books.
(c) Her wedding dress.
(d) Her bridal bouquet.
9. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
(a) By code unknowingly transmitted by Justin.
(b) By paintings they draw for each other.
(c) By exchanging letters.
(d) By talking through her open bedroom window.
10. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He has just spoken to Léon.
(b) He is awaiting another confessor.
(c) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(d) He is late for dinner.
11. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
(a) Because he no longer wants to work for his uncle.
(b) Because he wants to become a doctor like Charles.
(c) Because he is in love with Emma.
(d) Because he has a crush on the maid.
12. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 46 days.
13. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He stole his wife.
(b) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
(c) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
(d) He competed with the man's business.
14. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
(a) A visiting priest.
(b) A spinster who helped with the sewing.
(c) Leon Dupuis.
15. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
(a) Her mother died.
(b) She lost her faith.
(c) She fell in love.
(d) Her father died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
2. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
3. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
4. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
5. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)