|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
(a) Because he has a crush on the maid.
(b) Because he wants to become a doctor like Charles.
(c) Because he is in love with Emma.
(d) Because he no longer wants to work for his uncle.
2. What present does Emma give to Léon?
(a) An ornate coverlet.
(b) A journal.
(c) Some exotic plants.
(d) A puppy.
3. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) A new dress.
(b) An antique ring.
(c) A new dog.
(d) A portrait of himself.
4. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
(a) He faints.
(b) He continually interrupts the doctor.
(c) He confesses his love for Emma.
(d) He decides he no longer wants to be a doctor.
5. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is late for dinner.
(b) He has just spoken to Léon.
(c) He is awaiting another confessor.
(d) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
6. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
(a) He gives him 5 francs.
(b) He gives him 75 francs and a turkey.
(c) He gives him a horse.
(d) He gives him a house on his estate.
7. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
(a) In a hidden room in Emma's house.
(b) In a field behind Boulanger's house.
(c) At the Homais'.
(d) Charles' consulting room.
8. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
(a) To practice for an upcoming race.
(b) To improve her health.
(c) To give her a chance to meet other townspeople.
(d) To test a new horse he is interested in purchasing.
9. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
(a) They take long horseback rides together.
(b) They read romance novels together.
(c) They always write letters to each other.
(d) They eat together and take walks together.
10. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) It is a girl and not a boy.
(b) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
11. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She is killed by a horse.
(b) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(c) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(d) She leaves him for a local priest.
12. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
(a) Charles' father.
(b) Monsieur Homais.
13. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
14. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
(a) The agricultural show.
(b) At a dance he is organizing.
(c) Emma's home.
(d) During one of the Homais' Sunday parties.
15. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
(a) Homais' Pharmacy.
(b) The Bovary home.
(c) The local church.
(d) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
2. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
3. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
4. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
5. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)