|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Monsieur Guillaumin, the notary, do when Emma comes to him for help?
(a) Tells her to seek advice from the priest.
(b) Tries to seduce her.
(c) Gives her money.
(d) Consoles her.
2. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
(a) Tell Charles about the affair.
(b) Bribe Binet to not say anything.
(c) Run off to Paris.
(d) Find a new place to clandestinely meet.
3. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
(a) To be closer to Emma's parents.
(b) Due to Emma's poor health.
(c) Due to the political turmoil in the area.
(d) To be closer to his parents.
4. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is late for dinner.
(b) He is awaiting another confessor.
(c) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(d) He has just spoken to Léon.
5. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
(a) They are seen in an embrace.
(b) They are well-dressed and ride well.
(c) They are very clumsy on their horses.
(d) They ride too fast through the streets of the town.
6. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
(a) She has ended an unsatisfying love affair.
(b) She misses her best friend.
(c) She feels that life is boring and uneventful.
(d) She wants to become a nun.
7. Upon the arrival of the Bovarys in Yonville, what does Homais do?
(a) Tells Charles his services are no longer needed.
(b) Asks the Bovarys to stay with him.
(c) Kisses Emma and causes a scandal.
(d) Invites himself to dinner with them.
8. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
(b) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
(c) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
(d) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
9. What does Emma ask Léon to do to help her out?
(a) Borrow money from his mother.
(b) Steal money from his office.
(c) Bribe Lhereux.
(d) Hide her in Rouen.
10. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
(d) Far away places.
11. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
(a) He wants to change jobs and become a doctor.
(b) He was cited for practicing medicine without a license.
(c) He has received many awards.
(d) He is about to retire.
12. After she throws herself into domestic life, how does Emma's appearance change?
(a) She grows very thin.
(b) She becomes pregnant again.
(c) She gains a lot of weight from eating too much.
(d) She drastically cuts her hair.
13. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
(a) Emma tells Charles her true feelings about her provincial life.
(b) Emma fires her new maid.
(c) Emma's greyhound runs away.
(d) Emma accuses Charles of having an affair.
14. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) On a ship going to England.
(b) In the forest.
(c) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
(d) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
15. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
(a) He wants to become a pharmacist instead.
(b) He has few patients and is worried about money.
(c) He is unable to treat a suspected outbreak of disease in the town.
(d) He has too many patients and cannot find enough time to treat them all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
2. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
3. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
4. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
5. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)