|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(b) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(c) He was chronically absent from work.
(d) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
2. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
(a) A salon of political conversation.
(b) Excessive drinking of wine.
(d) Book discussions.
3. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(a) Emma's home at Bertaux.
(d) Charles' home at Tostes.
4. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is awaiting another confessor.
(b) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(c) He has just spoken to Léon.
(d) He is late for dinner.
5. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(b) In the early morning.
(c) After Berthe takes her nap.
(d) After dinner with Charles.
6. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
(a) She has ended an unsatisfying love affair.
(b) She feels that life is boring and uneventful.
(c) She misses her best friend.
(d) She wants to become a nun.
7. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
(a) They read romance novels together.
(b) They take long horseback rides together.
(c) They eat together and take walks together.
(d) They always write letters to each other.
8. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
9. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) At Charles' home at Tostes.
(b) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
(c) La Vaubyessard.
(d) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
10. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
(a) Because he has a crush on the maid.
(b) Because he is in love with Emma.
(c) Because he no longer wants to work for his uncle.
(d) Because he wants to become a doctor like Charles.
11. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
(a) To practice for an upcoming race.
(b) To improve her health.
(c) To give her a chance to meet other townspeople.
(d) To test a new horse he is interested in purchasing.
12. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
(a) Leon Dupuis.
(c) Charles Bovary.
(d) Emma Bovary.
13. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
(a) He has few patients and is worried about money.
(b) He wants to become a pharmacist instead.
(c) He is unable to treat a suspected outbreak of disease in the town.
(d) He has too many patients and cannot find enough time to treat them all.
14. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
(a) Because she is late for dinner.
(b) Because she decides to confide in Charles instead.
(c) Because he does not have a compassionate nature.
(d) Because she decides to go shopping instead.
15. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
(b) His mother.
(c) Emma's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
2. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
3. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
4. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
5. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)