|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell to Emma?
(c) Dry goods and linens.
2. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 46 days.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 days.
3. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She is killed by a horse.
(b) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(c) She leaves him for a local priest.
(d) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
4. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
(a) They ride too fast through the streets of the town.
(b) They are seen in an embrace.
(c) They are very clumsy on their horses.
(d) They are well-dressed and ride well.
5. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
(a) Tell Charles about the affair.
(b) Run off to Paris.
(c) Find a new place to clandestinely meet.
(d) Bribe Binet to not say anything.
6. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(b) He has just spoken to Léon.
(c) He is awaiting another confessor.
(d) He is late for dinner.
7. What is one of Emma's favorite pastimes?
(a) Reading romance novels.
(c) Writing letters.
(d) Carving figurines.
8. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
(a) The award for best pie.
(b) The award for best sow.
(c) The award for working the longest at the same farm.
(d) The manure award.
9. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
(a) Emma accuses Charles of having an affair.
(b) Emma fires her new maid.
(c) Emma tells Charles her true feelings about her provincial life.
(d) Emma's greyhound runs away.
10. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
(b) Excessive drinking of wine.
(c) A salon of political conversation.
(d) Book discussions.
11. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
(a) Charles' father.
(b) Emma's mother.
(c) Emma's father.
(d) Charles' mother.
12. After she throws herself into domestic life, how does Emma's appearance change?
(a) She becomes pregnant again.
(b) She grows very thin.
(c) She gains a lot of weight from eating too much.
(d) She drastically cuts her hair.
13. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A new dress.
(c) Some exotic plants.
(d) A journal.
14. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The local church.
(b) The Bovary home.
(c) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(d) Homais' Pharmacy.
15. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
(b) Creating her wardrobe.
(c) Having an affair.
(d) Learning how to cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
2. During the fair, a woman wins a monetary award for what remarkable achievement?
3. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
4. How does Rodolphe try to get on Charles' good side?
5. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)