|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the fair, a woman wins a monetary award for what remarkable achievement?
(a) She has worked at the same farm her entire life.
(b) She has had 11 children.
(c) She was the first woman to win an agricultural prize.
(d) She has raised the winning sheep for 5 years in a row.
2. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
(d) Only the priest and Emma's father.
3. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
(a) She begins doing charitable works for the poor.
(b) She leaves Charles.
(c) She spends more time doting on Berthe.
(d) She begins to buy herself extravagant things.
4. How many different beds does Emma realize that she has slept in during her short life?
5. How does Rodolphe try to get on Charles' good side?
(a) By bringing him gifts.
(b) By recommending his services to other upper class clients around town.
(c) By addressing him as "Doctor" when he walks into a room.
(d) By giving him a bonus check for services rendered.
6. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
(a) She can buy a new riding habit.
(b) She can add a new horse to their stable.
(c) She can buy new living room furniture.
(d) She can take a trip to Paris afterwards.
7. Where does Emma next see Monsieur Binet?
(a) At her house, talking to Charles.
(b) At Charles' office.
(c) At the Homais'.
(d) At Rodolphe's.
8. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
(a) He plans on being a pharmacist like his uncle.
(b) He wants to become a doctor.
(c) He wants to become a priest.
(d) He wants to join the military.
9. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(b) It is a girl and not a boy.
(c) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
(d) All answers are correct.
10. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
11. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) Some exotic plants.
(b) A new dress.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A journal.
12. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) A new dog.
(b) A new dress.
(c) An antique ring.
(d) A portrait of himself.
13. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
(a) It is a mere cottage and not up to Emma's standards.
(b) It is infested with mice.
(c) It still has boarders living in it.
(d) It is well-designed but in disarray.
14. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) A cigar case.
(c) A rose.
(d) A gold coin.
15. Who does Emma end up confiding in about her convoluted emotions?
(d) Her maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
2. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
3. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
4. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
5. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)