|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
(b) A spinster who helped with the sewing.
(c) A visiting priest.
(d) Leon Dupuis.
2. What does Emma tell Binet she is doing to hide her secret?
(a) Looking for her dog that ran off.
(b) Borrowing books from Rodolphe.
(c) Visiting the wet nurse.
(d) Gathering wildflowers.
3. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
(a) Collecting unpaid taxes from Rodolphe's neighbor.
(b) Duck hunting.
(c) Spying on Emma.
4. What present does Emma give to Léon?
(a) A journal.
(b) A puppy.
(c) Some exotic plants.
(d) An ornate coverlet.
5. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) It is a girl and not a boy.
(c) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
(d) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
6. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
(b) In the forest.
(c) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
(d) On a ship going to England.
7. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He competed with the man's business.
(b) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
(c) He stole his wife.
(d) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
8. Who does Emma end up confiding in about her convoluted emotions?
(d) Her maid.
9. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
(a) By helping him write a speech for a prestigious scientific society.
(b) By taking over the pharmacy once he retires.
(c) By overseeing his advice to clients.
(d) By helping him study to become a doctor.
10. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
(a) Because he knows that Rodolphe is not home.
(b) Because he knows that Berthe has been removed from the wet nurse.
(c) Because he has seen her visiting Rodolphe before.
(d) Because he knows that Emma doesn't have a dog.
11. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
(a) Charles' father.
(d) Monsieur Homais.
12. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(b) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(c) He was chronically absent from work.
(d) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
13. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
14. What does Monsieur Lhereux try to sell to Emma?
(a) Dry goods and linens.
15. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
(a) He was cited for practicing medicine without a license.
(b) He is about to retire.
(c) He wants to change jobs and become a doctor.
(d) He has received many awards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
2. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
3. What is the name of the town clerk who boards with the Homais family and is incredibly bored with the provincial life in Yonville?
4. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
5. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)