|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
2. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
(a) Leon Dupuis.
(c) A visiting priest.
(d) A spinster who helped with the sewing.
3. Upon the arrival of the Bovarys in Yonville, what does Homais do?
(a) Asks the Bovarys to stay with him.
(b) Invites himself to dinner with them.
(c) Tells Charles his services are no longer needed.
(d) Kisses Emma and causes a scandal.
4. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The local church.
(b) The Bovary home.
(c) Homais' Pharmacy.
(d) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
5. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
(a) Emma accuses Charles of having an affair.
(b) Emma tells Charles her true feelings about her provincial life.
(c) Emma fires her new maid.
(d) Emma's greyhound runs away.
6. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
(a) By overseeing his advice to clients.
(b) By taking over the pharmacy once he retires.
(c) By helping him study to become a doctor.
(d) By helping him write a speech for a prestigious scientific society.
7. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
(b) In the forest.
(c) On a ship going to England.
(d) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
8. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(a) Emma's home at Bertaux.
(d) Charles' home at Tostes.
9. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
(a) Her bridal bouquet.
(b) Her favorite books.
(c) Her love letters from Charles.
(d) Her wedding dress.
10. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
(a) Political upheaval.
(b) Local town gossip.
(c) Medicine and the weather.
11. What event does Homais disclose is coming to Yonville?
(a) A fashion show.
(b) A traveling circus.
(c) A display of scientific artifacts.
(d) A large agricultural exhibition.
12. Who does Emma end up confiding in about her convoluted emotions?
(d) Her maid.
13. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(b) In the early morning.
(c) After Berthe takes her nap.
(d) After dinner with Charles.
14. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
(a) She lost her faith.
(b) She fell in love.
(c) Her father died.
(d) Her mother died.
15. Where is Emma when she compares her husband to Léon and begins to realize that she is no longer in love with her husband?
(a) At a wedding.
(b) At her husband's office.
(c) At a horse race.
(d) Watching a flax mill being built.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
2. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
3. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
4. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
5. Why does the sheriff come to the Bovarys home?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)