|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
(a) Due to Emma's poor health.
(b) To be closer to Emma's parents.
(c) Due to the political turmoil in the area.
(d) To be closer to his parents.
2. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A dog.
(b) A dress.
(c) A ring.
(d) A canary.
3. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
(a) They are well-dressed and ride well.
(b) They are very clumsy on their horses.
(c) They ride too fast through the streets of the town.
(d) They are seen in an embrace.
4. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
(a) To improve her health.
(b) To test a new horse he is interested in purchasing.
(c) To practice for an upcoming race.
(d) To give her a chance to meet other townspeople.
5. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
(a) At the Homais'.
(b) In a hidden room in Emma's house.
(c) Charles' consulting room.
(d) In a field behind Boulanger's house.
6. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
7. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
(a) It is a mere cottage and not up to Emma's standards.
(b) It is well-designed but in disarray.
(c) It still has boarders living in it.
(d) It is infested with mice.
8. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(b) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(c) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(d) He was chronically absent from work.
9. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
(a) Because he has seen her visiting Rodolphe before.
(b) Because he knows that Rodolphe is not home.
(c) Because he knows that Emma doesn't have a dog.
(d) Because he knows that Berthe has been removed from the wet nurse.
10. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
(a) Book discussions.
(b) A salon of political conversation.
(d) Excessive drinking of wine.
11. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 46 days.
(d) 6 months.
12. What event does Homais disclose is coming to Yonville?
(a) A display of scientific artifacts.
(b) A traveling circus.
(c) A large agricultural exhibition.
(d) A fashion show.
13. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
(a) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(b) The Bovary home.
(c) Homais' Pharmacy.
(d) The local church.
14. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
(a) Because she decides to confide in Charles instead.
(b) Because she is late for dinner.
(c) Because she decides to go shopping instead.
(d) Because he does not have a compassionate nature.
15. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
(a) She has ended an unsatisfying love affair.
(b) She misses her best friend.
(c) She feels that life is boring and uneventful.
(d) She wants to become a nun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
2. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
3. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
4. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
5. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)