|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(b) She is killed by a horse.
(c) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(d) She leaves him for a local priest.
2. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
(a) He has few patients and is worried about money.
(b) He wants to become a pharmacist instead.
(c) He has too many patients and cannot find enough time to treat them all.
(d) He is unable to treat a suspected outbreak of disease in the town.
3. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
(a) Duck hunting.
(b) Collecting unpaid taxes from Rodolphe's neighbor.
(d) Spying on Emma.
4. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 46 days.
5. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
(a) The award for best pie.
(b) The award for working the longest at the same farm.
(c) The manure award.
(d) The award for best sow.
6. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
(a) He rides a horse through the fair.
(b) He is dressed very poorly.
(c) He is very talkative and engages everyone he meets in conversation.
(d) He is very elaborately dressed.
7. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He competed with the man's business.
(b) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
(c) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
(d) He stole his wife.
8. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
(a) By paintings they draw for each other.
(b) By talking through her open bedroom window.
(c) By exchanging letters.
(d) By code unknowingly transmitted by Justin.
9. Where does Emma go as a place of refuge and comfort when she feels as if she can no longer breathe?
(a) To see Charles.
(b) To Rouen.
(c) The home of Mère Rollet.
(d) To the church.
10. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
(a) They always write letters to each other.
(b) They read romance novels together.
(c) They take long horseback rides together.
(d) They eat together and take walks together.
11. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
(a) To be closer to Emma's parents.
(b) Due to the political turmoil in the area.
(c) Due to Emma's poor health.
(d) To be closer to his parents.
12. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
13. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Learning how to cook.
(b) Creating her wardrobe.
(c) Having an affair.
(d) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
14. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(a) Charles' home at Tostes.
(c) Emma's home at Bertaux.
15. What city does Emma dream of visiting by tracing maps of it?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
2. What does Emma ask Léon to do to help her out?
3. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
4. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
5. Who does Emma end up confiding in about her convoluted emotions?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)