|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
2. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
(a) For nutritional advice.
(b) For a bloodletting.
(c) He is interested in becoming a doctor.
(d) He has broken his leg.
3. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
(a) Local town gossip.
(c) Political upheaval.
(d) Medicine and the weather.
4. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
(a) They always write letters to each other.
(b) They take long horseback rides together.
(c) They eat together and take walks together.
(d) They read romance novels together.
5. What present does Emma give to Léon?
(a) A journal.
(b) Some exotic plants.
(c) A puppy.
(d) An ornate coverlet.
6. During the fair, a woman wins a monetary award for what remarkable achievement?
(a) She has raised the winning sheep for 5 years in a row.
(b) She was the first woman to win an agricultural prize.
(c) She has had 11 children.
(d) She has worked at the same farm her entire life.
7. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
(a) It is a mere cottage and not up to Emma's standards.
(b) It still has boarders living in it.
(c) It is infested with mice.
(d) It is well-designed but in disarray.
8. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
(a) By exchanging letters.
(b) By talking through her open bedroom window.
(c) By code unknowingly transmitted by Justin.
(d) By paintings they draw for each other.
9. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
(a) He takes her to Rome.
(b) He has a portrait painted of her by her favorite artist.
(c) He frames her sketches.
(d) He writes her a love poem.
10. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
(a) She fell in love.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) She lost her faith.
(d) Her father died.
11. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The local church.
(b) The Bovary home.
(c) Homais' Pharmacy.
(d) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
12. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is awaiting another confessor.
(b) He is late for dinner.
(c) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(d) He has just spoken to Léon.
13. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
(a) He gives him a house on his estate.
(b) He gives him 5 francs.
(c) He gives him 75 francs and a turkey.
(d) He gives him a horse.
14. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
(a) She has been caught drinking liquor.
(b) Dinner is not made.
(c) Some items have been stolen.
(d) A chicken has gotten loose in the house.
15. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Creating her wardrobe.
(b) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
(c) Having an affair.
(d) Learning how to cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
2. How does Rodolphe try to get on Charles' good side?
3. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
4. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
5. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)