|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
(a) By talking through her open bedroom window.
(b) By code unknowingly transmitted by Justin.
(c) By paintings they draw for each other.
(d) By exchanging letters.
2. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
(a) He was cited for practicing medicine without a license.
(b) He is about to retire.
(c) He has received many awards.
(d) He wants to change jobs and become a doctor.
3. What is one of Emma's favorite pastimes?
(a) Writing letters.
(c) Carving figurines.
(d) Reading romance novels.
4. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After Berthe takes her nap.
(b) In the early morning.
(c) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(d) After dinner with Charles.
5. Where is Emma when she compares her husband to Léon and begins to realize that she is no longer in love with her husband?
(a) Watching a flax mill being built.
(b) At a horse race.
(c) At a wedding.
(d) At her husband's office.
6. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
7. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
(b) Spying on Emma.
(c) Collecting unpaid taxes from Rodolphe's neighbor.
(d) Duck hunting.
8. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
(a) He has broken his leg.
(b) For nutritional advice.
(c) He is interested in becoming a doctor.
(d) For a bloodletting.
9. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
(a) Starts going to church.
(b) Embarks on her household chores with care.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Removes Berthe from the care of the wet nurse.
10. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Creating her wardrobe.
(b) Learning how to cook.
(c) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
(d) Having an affair.
11. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(a) Emma's home at Bertaux.
(d) Charles' home at Tostes.
12. What present does Emma give to Léon?
(a) A puppy.
(b) An ornate coverlet.
(c) A journal.
(d) Some exotic plants.
13. What does Emma tell Binet she is doing to hide her secret?
(a) Borrowing books from Rodolphe.
(b) Visiting the wet nurse.
(c) Looking for her dog that ran off.
(d) Gathering wildflowers.
14. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
(a) The agricultural show.
(b) At a dance he is organizing.
(c) Emma's home.
(d) During one of the Homais' Sunday parties.
15. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
(a) They are very clumsy on their horses.
(b) They are seen in an embrace.
(c) They ride too fast through the streets of the town.
(d) They are well-dressed and ride well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
2. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
3. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
4. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
5. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)