|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
(a) At his parents' home.
(b) At an inn in Yonville.
(c) An exotic location far away.
(d) At her parents' home.
2. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
(a) Tell Charles about the affair.
(b) Find a new place to clandestinely meet.
(c) Run off to Paris.
(d) Bribe Binet to not say anything.
3. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(b) Emma's home at Bertaux.
(c) Charles' home at Tostes.
4. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(b) After dinner with Charles.
(c) After Berthe takes her nap.
(d) In the early morning.
5. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
(a) It still has boarders living in it.
(b) It is well-designed but in disarray.
(c) It is a mere cottage and not up to Emma's standards.
(d) It is infested with mice.
6. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
(c) Far away places.
7. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
(b) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
(c) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
(d) She falls and cuts her face.
8. Why is Boulanger's attention in such high demand at the fair?
(a) He is one of Yonville's foremost contributors to agriculture.
(b) He has financed the entire fair.
(c) He has raised a prize-winning sow.
(d) He has invented a groundbreaking new agricultural tool.
9. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
(a) She can take a trip to Paris afterwards.
(b) She can add a new horse to their stable.
(c) She can buy new living room furniture.
(d) She can buy a new riding habit.
10. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
(a) The award for best sow.
(b) The award for best pie.
(c) The award for working the longest at the same farm.
(d) The manure award.
11. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A dress.
(b) A canary.
(c) A dog.
(d) A ring.
12. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) A portrait of himself.
(b) A new dog.
(c) An antique ring.
(d) A new dress.
13. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is awaiting another confessor.
(b) He is late for dinner.
(c) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(d) He has just spoken to Léon.
14. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
(a) Because he wants to become a doctor like Charles.
(b) Because he no longer wants to work for his uncle.
(c) Because he is in love with Emma.
(d) Because he has a crush on the maid.
15. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
(a) So she doesn't have to be as close to Charles.
(b) Because she is experiencing postpartum depression.
(c) Because her bedroom is not warm enough as winter approaches.
(d) So she can watch Léon walk his dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
2. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
3. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
4. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
5. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)