|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is late for dinner.
(b) He has just spoken to Léon.
(c) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(d) He is awaiting another confessor.
2. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
(a) Far away places.
3. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
(c) Emma's father.
(d) His mother.
4. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
(b) A spinster who helped with the sewing.
(c) A visiting priest.
(d) Leon Dupuis.
5. What is the name of the town clerk who boards with the Homais family and is incredibly bored with the provincial life in Yonville?
(a) The previous doctor.
(b) Léon Dupuis.
(c) Monsieur Binet.
(d) Abbé Bournisien.
6. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Learning how to cook.
(c) Creating her wardrobe.
(d) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
7. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The Bovary home.
(b) The local church.
(c) Homais' Pharmacy.
(d) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
8. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
(a) A salon of political conversation.
(b) Book discussions.
(d) Excessive drinking of wine.
9. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Removes Berthe from the care of the wet nurse.
(c) Embarks on her household chores with care.
(d) Starts going to church.
10. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
(a) She spends more time doting on Berthe.
(b) She leaves Charles.
(c) She begins doing charitable works for the poor.
(d) She begins to buy herself extravagant things.
11. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
(a) At his parents' home.
(b) An exotic location far away.
(c) At her parents' home.
(d) At an inn in Yonville.
12. How does Rodolphe try to get on Charles' good side?
(a) By addressing him as "Doctor" when he walks into a room.
(b) By giving him a bonus check for services rendered.
(c) By recommending his services to other upper class clients around town.
(d) By bringing him gifts.
13. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
(a) Medicine and the weather.
(c) Local town gossip.
(d) Political upheaval.
14. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
(a) Some local boys have stolen them.
(b) They have gotten wet.
(c) They were bought from a disreputable seller.
(d) The speeches go too long, and there isn't time to set them off.
15. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
(a) He confesses his love for Emma.
(b) He faints.
(c) He continually interrupts the doctor.
(d) He decides he no longer wants to be a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
2. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
3. How many different beds does Emma realize that she has slept in during her short life?
4. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
5. What does Emma tell Binet she is doing to hide her secret?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)