|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
(a) For nutritional advice.
(b) For a bloodletting.
(c) He has broken his leg.
(d) He is interested in becoming a doctor.
2. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
(a) A salon of political conversation.
(b) Book discussions.
(d) Excessive drinking of wine.
3. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
(a) Because he knows that Emma doesn't have a dog.
(b) Because he knows that Rodolphe is not home.
(c) Because he has seen her visiting Rodolphe before.
(d) Because he knows that Berthe has been removed from the wet nurse.
4. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
(a) He wants to join the military.
(b) He wants to become a doctor.
(c) He plans on being a pharmacist like his uncle.
(d) He wants to become a priest.
5. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
(a) He has received many awards.
(b) He wants to change jobs and become a doctor.
(c) He is about to retire.
(d) He was cited for practicing medicine without a license.
6. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(b) He was chronically absent from work.
(c) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(d) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
7. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
(a) He rides a horse through the fair.
(b) He is dressed very poorly.
(c) He is very elaborately dressed.
(d) He is very talkative and engages everyone he meets in conversation.
8. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
(a) She can buy a new riding habit.
(b) She can buy new living room furniture.
(c) She can take a trip to Paris afterwards.
(d) She can add a new horse to their stable.
9. Where does Emma go as a place of refuge and comfort when she feels as if she can no longer breathe?
(a) To see Charles.
(b) The home of Mère Rollet.
(c) To the church.
(d) To Rouen.
10. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
(a) Because he is in love with Emma.
(b) Because he has a crush on the maid.
(c) Because he no longer wants to work for his uncle.
(d) Because he wants to become a doctor like Charles.
11. Upon the arrival of the Bovarys in Yonville, what does Homais do?
(a) Tells Charles his services are no longer needed.
(b) Kisses Emma and causes a scandal.
(c) Invites himself to dinner with them.
(d) Asks the Bovarys to stay with him.
12. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
(a) She begins to buy herself extravagant things.
(b) She begins doing charitable works for the poor.
(c) She leaves Charles.
(d) She spends more time doting on Berthe.
13. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
(a) Her bridal bouquet.
(b) Her favorite books.
(c) Her love letters from Charles.
(d) Her wedding dress.
14. What is the name of the town clerk who boards with the Homais family and is incredibly bored with the provincial life in Yonville?
(a) Monsieur Binet.
(b) Léon Dupuis.
(c) Abbé Bournisien.
(d) The previous doctor.
15. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(b) After Berthe takes her nap.
(c) After dinner with Charles.
(d) In the early morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emma next see Monsieur Binet?
2. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
3. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
4. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
5. Where is Emma when she compares her husband to Léon and begins to realize that she is no longer in love with her husband?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)