Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
(a) By exchanging letters.
(b) By paintings they draw for each other.
(c) By code unknowingly transmitted by Justin.
(d) By talking through her open bedroom window.
2. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) It is a girl and not a boy.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(d) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
3. What is one of Emma's favorite pastimes?
(b) Carving figurines.
(c) Reading romance novels.
(d) Writing letters.
4. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
(a) Duck hunting.
(b) Spying on Emma.
(d) Collecting unpaid taxes from Rodolphe's neighbor.
5. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He is late for dinner.
(b) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
(c) He has just spoken to Léon.
(d) He is awaiting another confessor.
6. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
(a) Leon Dupuis.
(b) Emma Bovary.
(d) Charles Bovary.
7. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
8. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(c) Charles' home at Tostes.
(d) Emma's home at Bertaux.
9. What does Emma ask Léon to do to help her out?
(a) Borrow money from his mother.
(b) Hide her in Rouen.
(c) Steal money from his office.
(d) Bribe Lhereux.
10. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
(a) It is well-designed but in disarray.
(b) It still has boarders living in it.
(c) It is a mere cottage and not up to Emma's standards.
(d) It is infested with mice.
11. Where does she decide to go as a last resort?
(a) To La Huchette to see Rodolphe.
(b) To beg Monsieur Lhereux for mercy one last time.
(c) To confess all to Charles.
(d) To Charles' mother.
12. Where does Emma go as a place of refuge and comfort when she feels as if she can no longer breathe?
(a) The home of Mère Rollet.
(b) To the church.
(c) To see Charles.
(d) To Rouen.
13. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
14. What city does Emma dream of visiting by tracing maps of it?
(a) New York.
15. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(b) She leaves him for a local priest.
(c) She is killed by a horse.
(d) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
2. Why does the sheriff come to the Bovarys home?
3. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
4. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
5. What present does Emma give to Léon?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)