|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
(a) By overseeing his advice to clients.
(b) By helping him study to become a doctor.
(c) By helping him write a speech for a prestigious scientific society.
(d) By taking over the pharmacy once he retires.
2. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
(a) He has just spoken to Léon.
(b) He is late for dinner.
(c) He is awaiting another confessor.
(d) He is distracted by some misbehaving boys.
3. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
(a) Popular fashions and town gossip.
(d) Childhood memories and times at school.
4. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) A cigar case.
(d) A rose.
5. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
(a) He decides he no longer wants to be a doctor.
(b) He continually interrupts the doctor.
(c) He confesses his love for Emma.
(d) He faints.
6. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
(a) They have gotten wet.
(b) Some local boys have stolen them.
(c) The speeches go too long, and there isn't time to set them off.
(d) They were bought from a disreputable seller.
7. After she throws herself into domestic life, how does Emma's appearance change?
(a) She drastically cuts her hair.
(b) She grows very thin.
(c) She gains a lot of weight from eating too much.
(d) She becomes pregnant again.
8. What present does Emma give to Léon?
(a) An ornate coverlet.
(b) A journal.
(c) Some exotic plants.
(d) A puppy.
9. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
(a) For nutritional advice.
(b) He has broken his leg.
(c) For a bloodletting.
(d) He is interested in becoming a doctor.
10. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
(a) He has few patients and is worried about money.
(b) He wants to become a pharmacist instead.
(c) He has too many patients and cannot find enough time to treat them all.
(d) He is unable to treat a suspected outbreak of disease in the town.
11. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He competed with the man's business.
(b) He stole his wife.
(c) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
(d) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
12. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
(b) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
(c) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
(d) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
13. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After Berthe takes her nap.
(b) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(c) After dinner with Charles.
(d) In the early morning.
14. Why doesn't Emma buy anything from Monsieur Lhereux?
(a) She doesn't want to spend the money.
(b) She wants to wait for Charles to help her decide what to purchase.
(c) He offends her with his coarse manner.
(d) She is too ill to buy anything.
15. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) A portrait of himself.
(b) A new dress.
(c) An antique ring.
(d) A new dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon the arrival of the Bovarys in Yonville, what does Homais do?
2. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
3. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
4. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
5. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)