|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After she throws herself into domestic life, how does Emma's appearance change?
(a) She grows very thin.
(b) She becomes pregnant again.
(c) She gains a lot of weight from eating too much.
(d) She drastically cuts her hair.
2. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
(a) Only the priest and Emma's father.
3. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
(a) By code unknowingly transmitted by Justin.
(b) By paintings they draw for each other.
(c) By exchanging letters.
(d) By talking through her open bedroom window.
4. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
(a) She spends more time doting on Berthe.
(b) She begins doing charitable works for the poor.
(c) She begins to buy herself extravagant things.
(d) She leaves Charles.
5. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
(b) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
(c) She falls and cuts her face.
(d) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
6. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The local church.
(b) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(c) Homais' Pharmacy.
(d) The Bovary home.
7. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
(a) Emma's home.
(b) At a dance he is organizing.
(c) The agricultural show.
(d) During one of the Homais' Sunday parties.
8. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
(a) They were bought from a disreputable seller.
(b) The speeches go too long, and there isn't time to set them off.
(c) Some local boys have stolen them.
(d) They have gotten wet.
9. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
(a) Because he does not have a compassionate nature.
(b) Because she decides to go shopping instead.
(c) Because she is late for dinner.
(d) Because she decides to confide in Charles instead.
10. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A new dress.
(c) Some exotic plants.
(d) A journal.
11. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
(a) The manure award.
(b) The award for working the longest at the same farm.
(c) The award for best sow.
(d) The award for best pie.
12. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
(a) He is dressed very poorly.
(b) He is very talkative and engages everyone he meets in conversation.
(c) He is very elaborately dressed.
(d) He rides a horse through the fair.
13. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
(b) A visiting priest.
(c) Leon Dupuis.
(d) A spinster who helped with the sewing.
14. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She leaves him for a local priest.
(b) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(c) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(d) She is killed by a horse.
15. What is the name of the town clerk who boards with the Homais family and is incredibly bored with the provincial life in Yonville?
(a) Monsieur Binet.
(b) Abbé Bournisien.
(c) The previous doctor.
(d) Léon Dupuis.
Short Answer Questions
1. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
2. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
3. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
4. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
5. What does Emma tell Binet she is doing to hide her secret?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)