|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
(a) He gives him 5 francs.
(b) He gives him 75 francs and a turkey.
(c) He gives him a house on his estate.
(d) He gives him a horse.
2. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
3. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
(a) Because he has seen her visiting Rodolphe before.
(b) Because he knows that Rodolphe is not home.
(c) Because he knows that Berthe has been removed from the wet nurse.
(d) Because he knows that Emma doesn't have a dog.
4. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
(a) Charles' consulting room.
(b) At the Homais'.
(c) In a hidden room in Emma's house.
(d) In a field behind Boulanger's house.
5. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
(b) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
(c) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
(d) She falls and cuts her face.
6. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
(b) Charles' father.
(c) Monsieur Homais.
7. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(b) He was chronically absent from work.
(c) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(d) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
8. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A dress.
(b) A dog.
(c) A ring.
(d) A canary.
9. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
(a) Her love letters from Charles.
(b) Her bridal bouquet.
(c) Her wedding dress.
(d) Her favorite books.
10. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
(a) He rides a horse through the fair.
(b) He is very elaborately dressed.
(c) He is very talkative and engages everyone he meets in conversation.
(d) He is dressed very poorly.
11. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) It is a girl and not a boy.
(c) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(d) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
12. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
(a) At her parents' home.
(b) At his parents' home.
(c) At an inn in Yonville.
(d) An exotic location far away.
13. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
(b) Having an affair.
(c) Creating her wardrobe.
(d) Learning how to cook.
14. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
(a) Starts going to church.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Removes Berthe from the care of the wet nurse.
(d) Embarks on her household chores with care.
15. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
(a) The manure award.
(b) The award for working the longest at the same farm.
(c) The award for best pie.
(d) The award for best sow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
2. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
3. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
4. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
5. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)