|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
(a) Because he does not have a compassionate nature.
(b) Because she decides to go shopping instead.
(c) Because she is late for dinner.
(d) Because she decides to confide in Charles instead.
2. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
(a) The manure award.
(b) The award for working the longest at the same farm.
(c) The award for best pie.
(d) The award for best sow.
3. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
(b) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
(c) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
(d) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
4. Where does Léon want to go to finish his law studies?
5. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
(a) He wants to become a priest.
(b) He plans on being a pharmacist like his uncle.
(c) He wants to become a doctor.
(d) He wants to join the military.
6. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) A new dress.
(b) An antique ring.
(c) A new dog.
(d) A portrait of himself.
7. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
(a) Charles Bovary.
(c) Leon Dupuis.
(d) Emma Bovary.
8. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
(b) She falls and cuts her face.
(c) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
(d) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
9. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A ring.
(b) A dog.
(c) A dress.
(d) A canary.
10. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
(a) He takes her to Rome.
(b) He has a portrait painted of her by her favorite artist.
(c) He frames her sketches.
(d) He writes her a love poem.
11. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
(b) On a ship going to England.
(c) In the forest.
(d) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
12. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
(a) During one of the Homais' Sunday parties.
(b) Emma's home.
(c) The agricultural show.
(d) At a dance he is organizing.
13. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
(d) Only the priest and Emma's father.
14. Where is Emma when she compares her husband to Léon and begins to realize that she is no longer in love with her husband?
(a) At a wedding.
(b) At a horse race.
(c) At her husband's office.
(d) Watching a flax mill being built.
15. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
(a) To test a new horse he is interested in purchasing.
(b) To give her a chance to meet other townspeople.
(c) To practice for an upcoming race.
(d) To improve her health.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
2. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
3. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
4. What is the primary activity of the weekly Sunday parties at the Homais home?
5. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)