|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
(a) A rose.
(b) A cigar case.
(c) A gold coin.
(d) A book of poetry.
2. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) La Vaubyessard.
(b) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
(c) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
(d) At Charles' home at Tostes.
3. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
(c) Monsieur Homais.
(d) Charles' father.
4. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
(a) They have gotten wet.
(b) The speeches go too long, and there isn't time to set them off.
(c) Some local boys have stolen them.
(d) They were bought from a disreputable seller.
5. During the fair, a woman wins a monetary award for what remarkable achievement?
(a) She has worked at the same farm her entire life.
(b) She has had 11 children.
(c) She has raised the winning sheep for 5 years in a row.
(d) She was the first woman to win an agricultural prize.
6. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
7. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
(a) At the Homais'.
(b) In a hidden room in Emma's house.
(c) In a field behind Boulanger's house.
(d) Charles' consulting room.
8. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(b) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(c) He was chronically absent from work.
(d) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
9. How many different beds does Emma realize that she has slept in during her short life?
10. What event does Homais disclose is coming to Yonville?
(a) A display of scientific artifacts.
(b) A traveling circus.
(c) A fashion show.
(d) A large agricultural exhibition.
11. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
(a) Popular fashions and town gossip.
(c) Childhood memories and times at school.
12. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
(a) By exchanging letters.
(b) By code unknowingly transmitted by Justin.
(c) By paintings they draw for each other.
(d) By talking through her open bedroom window.
13. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
(a) At his parents' home.
(b) An exotic location far away.
(c) At her parents' home.
(d) At an inn in Yonville.
14. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
(a) Her mother died.
(b) She fell in love.
(c) Her father died.
(d) She lost her faith.
15. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
(b) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
(c) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
(d) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
2. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
3. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
4. What city does Emma dream of visiting by tracing maps of it?
5. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)