|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
(a) The Bovary home.
(b) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
(c) The local church.
(d) Homais' Pharmacy.
2. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
(d) Only the priest and Emma's father.
3. How does Charles eventually convince Emma to go riding with Rodolphe?
(a) She can buy new living room furniture.
(b) She can add a new horse to their stable.
(c) She can take a trip to Paris afterwards.
(d) She can buy a new riding habit.
4. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
(a) To give her a chance to meet other townspeople.
(b) To improve her health.
(c) To practice for an upcoming race.
(d) To test a new horse he is interested in purchasing.
5. What seems to set Rodolphe apart from other men at the fair?
(a) He is dressed very poorly.
(b) He is very elaborately dressed.
(c) He is very talkative and engages everyone he meets in conversation.
(d) He rides a horse through the fair.
6. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
(a) Because she decides to confide in Charles instead.
(b) Because she is late for dinner.
(c) Because he does not have a compassionate nature.
(d) Because she decides to go shopping instead.
7. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
(a) Far away places.
8. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
(a) Emma's home.
(b) The agricultural show.
(c) During one of the Homais' Sunday parties.
(d) At a dance he is organizing.
9. Where does she decide to go as a last resort?
(a) To beg Monsieur Lhereux for mercy one last time.
(b) To confess all to Charles.
(c) To Charles' mother.
(d) To La Huchette to see Rodolphe.
10. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
(a) She begins to buy herself extravagant things.
(b) She spends more time doting on Berthe.
(c) She leaves Charles.
(d) She begins doing charitable works for the poor.
11. Why is Boulanger's attention in such high demand at the fair?
(a) He has financed the entire fair.
(b) He has raised a prize-winning sow.
(c) He has invented a groundbreaking new agricultural tool.
(d) He is one of Yonville's foremost contributors to agriculture.
12. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A ring.
(b) A canary.
(c) A dog.
(d) A dress.
13. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 46 days.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 4 days.
14. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(b) He was chronically absent from work.
(c) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(d) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
15. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A journal.
(c) A puppy.
(d) Some exotic plants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
2. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
3. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
4. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
5. Where does Emma next see Monsieur Binet?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)