|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the fair, a woman wins a monetary award for what remarkable achievement?
(a) She has worked at the same farm her entire life.
(b) She was the first woman to win an agricultural prize.
(c) She has had 11 children.
(d) She has raised the winning sheep for 5 years in a row.
2. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
(a) Political upheaval.
(b) Local town gossip.
(d) Medicine and the weather.
3. Who does Emma end up confiding in about her convoluted emotions?
(d) Her maid.
4. What does Emma tell Binet she is doing to hide her secret?
(a) Looking for her dog that ran off.
(b) Visiting the wet nurse.
(c) Borrowing books from Rodolphe.
(d) Gathering wildflowers.
5. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
(a) To practice for an upcoming race.
(b) To give her a chance to meet other townspeople.
(c) To improve her health.
(d) To test a new horse he is interested in purchasing.
6. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) A new dog.
(b) An antique ring.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A portrait of himself.
7. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
(a) Because he wants to become a doctor like Charles.
(b) Because he no longer wants to work for his uncle.
(c) Because he has a crush on the maid.
(d) Because he is in love with Emma.
8. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
(a) Because he knows that Berthe has been removed from the wet nurse.
(b) Because he knows that Rodolphe is not home.
(c) Because he has seen her visiting Rodolphe before.
(d) Because he knows that Emma doesn't have a dog.
9. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
(a) She begins doing charitable works for the poor.
(b) She begins to buy herself extravagant things.
(c) She leaves Charles.
(d) She spends more time doting on Berthe.
10. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
(a) They have gotten wet.
(b) They were bought from a disreputable seller.
(c) Some local boys have stolen them.
(d) The speeches go too long, and there isn't time to set them off.
11. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She is killed by a horse.
(b) She leaves him for a local priest.
(c) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(d) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
12. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(b) Charles' home at Tostes.
(c) Emma's home at Bertaux.
13. After she throws herself into domestic life, how does Emma's appearance change?
(a) She grows very thin.
(b) She drastically cuts her hair.
(c) She gains a lot of weight from eating too much.
(d) She becomes pregnant again.
14. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) In the early morning.
(b) After Berthe takes her nap.
(c) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(d) After dinner with Charles.
15. Why doesn't Emma buy anything from Monsieur Lhereux?
(a) She wants to wait for Charles to help her decide what to purchase.
(b) She is too ill to buy anything.
(c) She doesn't want to spend the money.
(d) He offends her with his coarse manner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
2. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
3. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
4. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
5. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)