|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 46 days.
2. Why is Boulanger's attention in such high demand at the fair?
(a) He is one of Yonville's foremost contributors to agriculture.
(b) He has financed the entire fair.
(c) He has invented a groundbreaking new agricultural tool.
(d) He has raised a prize-winning sow.
3. What event does Homais disclose is coming to Yonville?
(a) A large agricultural exhibition.
(b) A fashion show.
(c) A display of scientific artifacts.
(d) A traveling circus.
4. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
(a) Dinner is not made.
(b) She has been caught drinking liquor.
(c) Some items have been stolen.
(d) A chicken has gotten loose in the house.
5. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A new dress.
(c) Some exotic plants.
(d) A journal.
6. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
(a) Far away places.
7. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
(a) Emma's father.
(b) Charles' mother.
(c) Emma's mother.
(d) Charles' father.
8. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
(a) He has received many awards.
(b) He wants to change jobs and become a doctor.
(c) He is about to retire.
(d) He was cited for practicing medicine without a license.
9. What makes Emma and Rodolphe gather so much attention when they go riding?
(a) They are very clumsy on their horses.
(b) They are well-dressed and ride well.
(c) They ride too fast through the streets of the town.
(d) They are seen in an embrace.
10. Other than Emma's garden, where else do Emma and Rodolphe meet?
(a) In a field behind Boulanger's house.
(b) At the Homais'.
(c) In a hidden room in Emma's house.
(d) Charles' consulting room.
11. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
12. Why doesn't Binet believe her?
(a) Because he knows that Berthe has been removed from the wet nurse.
(b) Because he knows that Rodolphe is not home.
(c) Because he has seen her visiting Rodolphe before.
(d) Because he knows that Emma doesn't have a dog.
13. What happens to Justin while Charles is helping Boulanger?
(a) He confesses his love for Emma.
(b) He faints.
(c) He continually interrupts the doctor.
(d) He decides he no longer wants to be a doctor.
14. What is the name of the town clerk who boards with the Homais family and is incredibly bored with the provincial life in Yonville?
(a) Abbé Bournisien.
(b) Monsieur Binet.
(c) The previous doctor.
(d) Léon Dupuis.
15. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
(a) Homais' Pharmacy.
(b) The local church.
(c) The Bovary home.
(d) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
Short Answer Questions
1. What award is being presented as Rodolphe professes his love for Emma?
2. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
3. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
4. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
5. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)