|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
(a) The local church.
(b) Homais' Pharmacy.
(c) The Bovary home.
(d) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
2. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
(a) Run off to Paris.
(b) Bribe Binet to not say anything.
(c) Tell Charles about the affair.
(d) Find a new place to clandestinely meet.
3. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
(d) Far away places.
4. How does Rodolphe try to get on Charles' good side?
(a) By recommending his services to other upper class clients around town.
(b) By addressing him as "Doctor" when he walks into a room.
(c) By bringing him gifts.
(d) By giving him a bonus check for services rendered.
5. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
6. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A journal.
(b) Some exotic plants.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A new dress.
7. After she throws herself into domestic life, how does Emma's appearance change?
(a) She gains a lot of weight from eating too much.
(b) She grows very thin.
(c) She drastically cuts her hair.
(d) She becomes pregnant again.
8. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
(a) They always write letters to each other.
(b) They eat together and take walks together.
(c) They read romance novels together.
(d) They take long horseback rides together.
9. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
(a) She begins doing charitable works for the poor.
(b) She leaves Charles.
(c) She begins to buy herself extravagant things.
(d) She spends more time doting on Berthe.
10. How many different beds does Emma realize that she has slept in during her short life?
11. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
(a) Only the priest and Emma's father.
12. What is the main topic of conversation at Emma's first dinner in Yonville?
(a) Local town gossip.
(b) Medicine and the weather.
(d) Political upheaval.
13. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
14. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
(a) Childhood memories and times at school.
(c) Popular fashions and town gossip.
15. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
(a) At her parents' home.
(b) An exotic location far away.
(c) At his parents' home.
(d) At an inn in Yonville.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
2. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
3. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
4. Why is Boulanger's attention in such high demand at the fair?
5. What city does Emma dream of visiting by tracing maps of it?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)