|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
(a) Monsieur Homais.
(d) Charles' father.
2. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He competed with the man's business.
(b) He stole his wife.
(c) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
(d) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
3. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
(a) Far away places.
4. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
(a) At a dance he is organizing.
(b) The agricultural show.
(c) Emma's home.
(d) During one of the Homais' Sunday parties.
5. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
(b) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
(c) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
(d) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
6. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
(a) Charles Bovary.
(c) Leon Dupuis.
(d) Emma Bovary.
7. What does Emma tell Binet she is doing to hide her secret?
(a) Looking for her dog that ran off.
(b) Gathering wildflowers.
(c) Borrowing books from Rodolphe.
(d) Visiting the wet nurse.
8. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
(a) They have gotten wet.
(b) They were bought from a disreputable seller.
(c) The speeches go too long, and there isn't time to set them off.
(d) Some local boys have stolen them.
9. What is Monsieur Binet doing when Emma runs into him on the way to visit Rodolphe?
(a) Spying on Emma.
(b) Duck hunting.
(c) Collecting unpaid taxes from Rodolphe's neighbor.
10. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
(a) He wants to become a doctor.
(b) He wants to become a priest.
(c) He wants to join the military.
(d) He plans on being a pharmacist like his uncle.
11. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A canary.
(b) A dress.
(c) A dog.
(d) A ring.
12. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
13. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
(c) His mother.
(d) Emma's father.
14. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She is killed by a horse.
(b) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(c) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(d) She leaves him for a local priest.
15. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Creating her wardrobe.
(b) Having an affair.
(c) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
(d) Learning how to cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
2. After running into Binet, what do Emma and Rodolphe decide to do?
3. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
4. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
5. Where is Emma when she compares her husband to Léon and begins to realize that she is no longer in love with her husband?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)