|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles do when Emma becomes violently ill?
(a) He sends for Abbé Bournisien so that she can confess.
(b) He sends for Léon.
(c) He calls for other doctors.
(d) He is disgusted and leaves her.
2. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Murder him.
(c) Tell Charles about the affair.
(d) Run after him.
3. What are Charles' specifications for Emma's funeral?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) She should be buried in her wedding dress.
(c) She should have 3 coffins.
(d) No expense is to be spared.
4. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) It is a girl and not a boy.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(d) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
5. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
(a) So she doesn't have to be as close to Charles.
(b) Because her bedroom is not warm enough as winter approaches.
(c) So she can watch Léon walk his dog.
(d) Because she is experiencing postpartum depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
2. What is physically wrong with the beggar that Emma encounters on her way home to Yonville?
3. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
4. What does Emma finally convince Charles to let her do?
5. What event does Charles think will help Emma return to good spirits?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)