|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charles complicate his trip with Emma?
(a) He gets lost.
(b) He gets into an argument with the coachman.
(c) He gets confused while buying tickets.
(d) He does not have enough money.
2. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(b) She leaves him for a local priest.
(c) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(d) She is killed by a horse.
3. What causes Emma to relapse during a walk with Charles when she is recuperating?
(a) She finds an old love letter from Rodolphe.
(b) She hears Rodolphe's voice.
(c) She passes a bench where she sat with Rodolphe.
(d) She sees Rodolphe horseback riding with another woman.
4. Where does Boulanger decide his seduction of Emma will begin?
(a) At a dance he is organizing.
(b) The agricultural show.
(c) Emma's home.
(d) During one of the Homais' Sunday parties.
5. What is the name of the town clerk who boards with the Homais family and is incredibly bored with the provincial life in Yonville?
(a) Léon Dupuis.
(b) Monsieur Binet.
(c) The previous doctor.
(d) Abbé Bournisien.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
2. What city does Emma dream of visiting by tracing maps of it?
3. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
4. What does Emma tell Binet she is doing to hide her secret?
5. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)