|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Monsieur Homais' nephew Justin's future career?
(a) He wants to become a doctor.
(b) He wants to become a priest.
(c) He plans on being a pharmacist like his uncle.
(d) He wants to join the military.
2. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(c) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
(d) It is a girl and not a boy.
3. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
(a) Due to Emma's poor health.
(b) To be closer to Emma's parents.
(c) Due to the political turmoil in the area.
(d) To be closer to his parents.
4. Why does Charles owe money to Monsieur Homais?
(a) To pay for new clothes for Berthe.
(b) To pay off a loan.
(c) To pay him back for helping with Hippolyte.
(d) To pay for the expenses incurred during Emma's illness.
5. How has Lhereux ruined the life of a local townsman?
(a) He has bankrupted him through exorbitant loans.
(b) He stole his wife.
(c) He got him censured for unethical business practices.
(d) He competed with the man's business.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
2. Who does Homais get into a religious debate with?
3. When Emma receives Rodolphe's letter breaking it off with her, what is her first thought to do?
4. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
5. Why don't the fireworks go off at the end of the agricultural fair?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)