|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emma scrambling for money?
(a) She bought Berthe too many expensive toys.
(b) She has to pay off Lhereux.
(c) She paid Rodolphe to keep their affair a secret.
(d) She gave all of her spending money to charity.
2. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
(a) For nutritional advice.
(b) He is interested in becoming a doctor.
(c) He has broken his leg.
(d) For a bloodletting.
3. What does Emma want Charles to buy for Hippolyte?
(a) A grave marker.
(b) A cottage.
(c) Two wooden legs.
(d) A new horse.
4. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) It is a girl and not a boy.
(d) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
5. What happens to the money that Charles receives from one of his clients?
(a) He gives it to Emma to help pay her expenses.
(b) He uses it as a gift for Hippolyte.
(c) Emma steals it.
(d) He loses it in a card game at Homais'.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
2. After Léon leaves to continue his studies, how does Emma cope with the loss?
3. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
4. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
5. Why does Charles leave Emma during the opera?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)