|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(b) He was chronically absent from work.
(c) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(d) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
2. When does Emma begin sneaking off to see Rodolphe?
(a) After Charles has fallen asleep for the evening.
(b) After dinner with Charles.
(c) In the early morning.
(d) After Berthe takes her nap.
3. Why doesn't Emma confide in the priest?
(a) Because she is late for dinner.
(b) Because she decides to confide in Charles instead.
(c) Because he does not have a compassionate nature.
(d) Because she decides to go shopping instead.
4. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
(a) He was cited for practicing medicine without a license.
(b) He is about to retire.
(c) He wants to change jobs and become a doctor.
(d) He has received many awards.
5. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
(a) He gives him 75 francs and a turkey.
(b) He gives him a house on his estate.
(c) He gives him a horse.
(d) He gives him 5 francs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the sheriff come to the Bovarys home?
2. What is the name of the town clerk who boards with the Homais family and is incredibly bored with the provincial life in Yonville?
3. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
4. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
5. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)