|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Charles have come to visit Emma to help her out of her depression?
(a) Emma's father.
(d) His mother.
2. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(b) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) It is a girl and not a boy.
3. Why does Monsieur Rodolphe Boulanger call on Charles?
(a) For nutritional advice.
(b) For a bloodletting.
(c) He has broken his leg.
(d) He is interested in becoming a doctor.
4. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
(a) He is unable to treat a suspected outbreak of disease in the town.
(b) He wants to become a pharmacist instead.
(c) He has few patients and is worried about money.
(d) He has too many patients and cannot find enough time to treat them all.
5. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
(a) It still has boarders living in it.
(b) It is infested with mice.
(c) It is a mere cottage and not up to Emma's standards.
(d) It is well-designed but in disarray.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
2. What language does Emma decide she should learn to make herself feel better?
3. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
4. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
5. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)