|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
(a) She lost her faith.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) She fell in love.
(d) Her father died.
2. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
(a) He has too many patients and cannot find enough time to treat them all.
(b) He has few patients and is worried about money.
(c) He wants to become a pharmacist instead.
(d) He is unable to treat a suspected outbreak of disease in the town.
3. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
(b) She falls and cuts her face.
(c) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
(d) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
4. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(b) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(c) She leaves him for a local priest.
(d) She is killed by a horse.
5. What gift does Léon bring to Emma?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A journal.
(c) A new dress.
(d) Some exotic plants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
2. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
3. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
4. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
5. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)