|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
(a) Emma's greyhound runs away.
(b) Emma accuses Charles of having an affair.
(c) Emma fires her new maid.
(d) Emma tells Charles her true feelings about her provincial life.
2. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
(a) Because he is in love with Emma.
(b) Because he has a crush on the maid.
(c) Because he wants to become a doctor like Charles.
(d) Because he no longer wants to work for his uncle.
3. What do the Bovarys discover about their new home?
(a) It is a mere cottage and not up to Emma's standards.
(b) It is infested with mice.
(c) It is well-designed but in disarray.
(d) It still has boarders living in it.
4. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(c) Charles' home at Tostes.
(d) Emma's home at Bertaux.
5. Why doesn't Emma buy anything from Monsieur Lhereux?
(a) He offends her with his coarse manner.
(b) She is too ill to buy anything.
(c) She doesn't want to spend the money.
(d) She wants to wait for Charles to help her decide what to purchase.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
2. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
3. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
4. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
5. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)