|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
(b) Emma Bovary.
(c) Charles Bovary.
(d) Leon Dupuis.
2. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
(b) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
(c) At Charles' home at Tostes.
(d) La Vaubyessard.
3. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
(a) He has few patients and is worried about money.
(b) He is unable to treat a suspected outbreak of disease in the town.
(c) He wants to become a pharmacist instead.
(d) He has too many patients and cannot find enough time to treat them all.
4. After she throws herself into domestic life, how does Emma's appearance change?
(a) She drastically cuts her hair.
(b) She grows very thin.
(c) She gains a lot of weight from eating too much.
(d) She becomes pregnant again.
5. What happens to Berthe when Emma returns from her meeting with Abbé Bournisien?
(a) She goes to stay with Emma's father.
(b) She falls and cuts her face.
(c) She becomes feverish and needs medical care.
(d) She is sent back to stay with the wet nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma do to try to regain interest in her domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother?
2. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
3. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
4. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
5. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)