|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(b) He was chronically absent from work.
(c) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(d) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
2. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) La Vaubyessard.
(b) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
(c) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
(d) At Charles' home at Tostes.
3. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
(a) The Bovary home.
(b) Homais' Pharmacy.
(c) The local church.
(d) The Hotel Lion d'Or.
4. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
(a) Dinner is not made.
(b) A chicken has gotten loose in the house.
(c) She has been caught drinking liquor.
(d) Some items have been stolen.
5. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
(a) Emma Bovary.
(c) Leon Dupuis.
(d) Charles Bovary.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
2. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
3. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
4. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
5. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)