|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
(a) A gold coin.
(b) A book of poetry.
(c) A rose.
(d) A cigar case.
2. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(b) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(c) He was chronically absent from work.
(d) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
3. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
(a) Emma accuses Charles of having an affair.
(b) Emma fires her new maid.
(c) Emma tells Charles her true feelings about her provincial life.
(d) Emma's greyhound runs away.
4. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
(a) Some items have been stolen.
(b) A chicken has gotten loose in the house.
(c) Dinner is not made.
(d) She has been caught drinking liquor.
5. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
(a) She has ended an unsatisfying love affair.
(b) She feels that life is boring and uneventful.
(c) She wants to become a nun.
(d) She misses her best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
2. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
3. How many guests do Emma and Charles have at their wedding?
4. Upon the arrival of the Bovarys in Yonville, what does Homais do?
5. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)