|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
(a) She feels that life is boring and uneventful.
(b) She wants to become a nun.
(c) She has ended an unsatisfying love affair.
(d) She misses her best friend.
2. Charles and Emma's relationship grows as they are alone one day discussing what?
(b) Childhood memories and times at school.
(c) Popular fashions and town gossip.
3. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
(a) They eat together and take walks together.
(b) They always write letters to each other.
(c) They read romance novels together.
(d) They take long horseback rides together.
4. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(b) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(c) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(d) He was chronically absent from work.
5. How many different beds does Emma realize that she has slept in during her short life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charles think he and Emma should move?
2. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
3. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
4. As Emma and Léon get to know each other, what do they originally discuss?
5. Upon the arrival of the Bovarys in Yonville, what does Homais do?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)