|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 9 | Part 2: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
(b) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
(c) On a ship going to England.
(d) In the forest.
2. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
(a) Her love letters from Charles.
(b) Her wedding dress.
(c) Her bridal bouquet.
(d) Her favorite books.
3. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
(a) Emma's greyhound runs away.
(b) Emma tells Charles her true feelings about her provincial life.
(c) Emma accuses Charles of having an affair.
(d) Emma fires her new maid.
4. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She leaves him for a local priest.
(b) She is killed by a horse.
(c) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(d) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
5. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
(a) He gives him 5 francs.
(b) He gives him a horse.
(c) He gives him a house on his estate.
(d) He gives him 75 francs and a turkey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
2. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
3. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
4. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
5. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)