|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 9 | Part 2: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Creating her wardrobe.
(b) Having an affair.
(c) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
(d) Learning how to cook.
2. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
(a) Emma accuses Charles of having an affair.
(b) Emma fires her new maid.
(c) Emma's greyhound runs away.
(d) Emma tells Charles her true feelings about her provincial life.
3. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
(b) At Charles' home at Tostes.
(c) La Vaubyessard.
(d) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
4. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
(b) A visiting priest.
(c) A spinster who helped with the sewing.
(d) Leon Dupuis.
5. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(b) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(c) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(d) He was chronically absent from work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
2. What happens to Charles' first wife?
3. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
4. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
5. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)