|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 9 | Part 2: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emma unhappy when she is no longer at the convent?
(a) She has ended an unsatisfying love affair.
(b) She misses her best friend.
(c) She feels that life is boring and uneventful.
(d) She wants to become a nun.
2. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
(a) She has been caught drinking liquor.
(b) Some items have been stolen.
(c) A chicken has gotten loose in the house.
(d) Dinner is not made.
3. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(b) She leaves him for a local priest.
(c) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(d) She is killed by a horse.
4. How does Monsieur Rouault compensate Charles for setting his leg?
(a) He gives him a horse.
(b) He gives him a house on his estate.
(c) He gives him 5 francs.
(d) He gives him 75 francs and a turkey.
5. How old was Emma when she was sent to the convent to study?
Short Answer Questions
1. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
2. What causes Emma to return to Bertaux from the convent?
3. Where in Yonville is Homais waiting for the Bovarys to arrive?
4. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
5. Who came to the convent to tell fantastic stories to the girls there?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)