|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 9 | Part 2: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
(b) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
(c) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
(d) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
2. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was chronically absent from work.
(b) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(c) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(d) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
3. Where is the ball held where Emma meets Vicomte?
(a) At her parents' home at Bertaux.
(b) La Vaubyessard.
(c) At Charles' home at Tostes.
(d) At Emma and Charles' home at Les Bertaux.
4. What memento does Emma burn in a fit of depression?
(a) Her favorite books.
(b) Her love letters from Charles.
(c) Her wedding dress.
(d) Her bridal bouquet.
5. What is an early routine that Charles and Emma establish as newlyweds?
(a) They read romance novels together.
(b) They eat together and take walks together.
(c) They always write letters to each other.
(d) They take long horseback rides together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
2. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
3. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
4. What happens to Charles' first wife?
5. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)