|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 9 | Part 2: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Charles and Emma first live together as husband and wife?
(a) Charles' home at Tostes.
(c) Emma's home at Bertaux.
2. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
(b) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
(c) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
(d) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
3. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(b) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(c) He was chronically absent from work.
(d) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
4. How does Emma spend her engagement period to Charles?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Mourning for Madame Heloise Bovary.
(c) Learning how to cook.
(d) Creating her wardrobe.
5. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She leaves him for a local priest.
(b) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(c) She is killed by a horse.
(d) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
2. What is one of Emma's favorite pastimes?
3. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
4. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
5. Where does Emma wish she had spent her honeymoon with Charles?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)