|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Homais want Charles to help him?
(a) By helping him write a speech for a prestigious scientific society.
(b) By overseeing his advice to clients.
(c) By helping him study to become a doctor.
(d) By taking over the pharmacy once he retires.
2. What does Charles find when he helps riders repair their cart?
(a) A rose.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) A cigar case.
(d) A book of poetry.
3. What happens on Emma's wedding night that causes some people to think that she and her father are acting above their class?
(a) She refuses to allow wedding pranks to be played on her.
(b) She serves wine only to the wealthy guests.
(c) She forgets to say "thank you" to her guests.
(d) She leaves early without saying goodbye.
4. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(b) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
(c) It is a girl and not a boy.
(d) All answers are correct.
5. Who comes to stay with the Bovarys after the birth of their child?
(a) Charles' father.
(b) Emma's father.
(c) Charles' mother.
(d) Emma's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the center of activity in Yonville?
2. Who does Emma meet on her way to visit the wet nurse?
3. What is one of the things that Charles does to show his complete adoration of Emma?
4. Why is Charles unhappy during his first few weeks as Yonville's doctor?
5. What event causes the delay of the "Hirondelle" and also marks the loss of Emma's last remaining confidante?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)