|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Emma and Rodolphe begin communicating in the early days of their affair?
(a) By paintings they draw for each other.
(b) By talking through her open bedroom window.
(c) By exchanging letters.
(d) By code unknowingly transmitted by Justin.
2. What does Charles want to give to Emma as a present?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A portrait of himself.
(c) A new dog.
(d) An antique ring.
3. What seems to disappoint Emma about her pregnancy and the birth of her child, Berthe?
(a) It is a girl and not a boy.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) She cannot afford to buy the layette that she wants.
(d) It provides one more attachment to a middle-class, provincial life.
4. Who runs the house while Emma is ill?
(c) Monsieur Homais.
(d) Charles' mother.
5. What gift does Emma receive from one of Charles' patients?
(a) A dress.
(b) A canary.
(c) A dog.
(d) A ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma fire her maid upon returning from the ball?
2. How long does Emma's illness last after she reads Rodolphe's letter?
3. Why is Abbé Bournisien distracted when Emma comes to see him?
4. Why does Rodolphe suggest that Emma should begin horseback riding with him?
5. What do we learn has happened to Homais' career?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)