|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
(a) Because she is experiencing postpartum depression.
(b) Because her bedroom is not warm enough as winter approaches.
(c) So she can watch Léon walk his dog.
(d) So she doesn't have to be as close to Charles.
2. How does Homais think Charles should help the boy?
(a) By trying a controversial new surgical technique.
(b) By giving the boy newly developed medicines.
(c) By bloodletting.
(d) By calling in an outside expert.
3. To whom does the boatman allude having been on the boat recently?
(b) Abbé Bournisien.
(c) Monsieur Lhereux.
4. Why do the townspeople believe Justin spends so much time at the Bovary home?
(a) Because he no longer wants to work for his uncle.
(b) Because he has a crush on the maid.
(c) Because he is in love with Emma.
(d) Because he wants to become a doctor like Charles.
5. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
(a) She feels bad for the boy and wants him to get better.
(b) She wants him to become a success.
(c) She wants Charles out of the way so she can spend more time with Rodolphe.
(d) She needs the money to pay back a loan from Lhereux.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
2. What does Léon find on their boat ride that makes the boatman tell them about his previous customers?
3. What other instructions does Emma give to Léon about their correspondence?
4. What do Léon and Emma do during their time together?
5. What present does Emma give to Léon?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)