|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emma want to convince Charles to take the case?
(a) She wants Charles out of the way so she can spend more time with Rodolphe.
(b) She feels bad for the boy and wants him to get better.
(c) She needs the money to pay back a loan from Lhereux.
(d) She wants him to become a success.
2. Eventually, what happens to Hippolyte?
(a) He dies.
(b) He recovers completely.
(c) His foot needs to be amputated.
(d) He sues Charles and Homais.
3. How does Flaubert describe Emma's three days with Léon in Rouen?
(a) Like a romance from Sir Walter Scott.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) Like a true honeymoon.
4. How does Homais think Charles should help the boy?
(a) By calling in an outside expert.
(b) By giving the boy newly developed medicines.
(c) By bloodletting.
(d) By trying a controversial new surgical technique.
5. What name does Emma tell Léon he should address letters to her under?
(a) Madame Bovary.
(d) Mère Rollet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léon find on their boat ride that makes the boatman tell them about his previous customers?
2. Why is another doctor called in to consult on the case?
3. What other instructions does Emma give to Léon about their correspondence?
4. Why does Emma move her bedroom into the parlor of the Bovary home?
5. To whom does the boatman allude having been on the boat recently?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)