|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Breton described feeling an overwhelming need for what, while in Brittany in Section 6?
2. What did Breton suggest had had a major influence on his love life in Section 6?
3. Who was presumably with Breton in Brittany in Section 6?
4. Who wrote the Aeneid?
5. The island volcano that Breton went to in Section 5 was a part of what body of islands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
2. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
3. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
4. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
5. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
6. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
7. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
8. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
9. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
10. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the settings of Tenerife, Paris and Brittany, as described in the text. How did each location exhibit a different mood and tone through Breton's writing?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the two surrealist journals, The Minotaur and Literature. Who originated each, and what impact did they have on the evolution of the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the transition from the Dada Movement to the Surrealist Movement. What global events influenced these movements and their philosophies?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)