|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book states that once private property is abolished, "we can reasonably affirm that far from disappearing, monogamy will be realized for the first time'"?
2. Where did Breton go to the top of a volcano in Section 5?
3. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
4. Who wrote New Justine, which was lauded by Breton in Section 5?
5. "Sunflower" is an example of what type of poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
2. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
3. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
4. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
5. What did Breton associate with his sense of discord on his trip in Section 6?
6. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
7. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
8. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
9. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
10. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the "found object" and the "art object" in Andre Breton's surrealist theory. What is the purpose of each to the artist and creator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author Paul Eluard and his work, theories, and influence on the Surrealist Movement. How did Eluard meet Breton? What was their friendship like?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and discuss the works of Arthur Rimbaud, and the Comte de Lautréamont. Why did Breton cite these artists in the book? What influences did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)