|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of behavior did Breton write love "stirred up" in Section 4?
2. What astrological sign was Andre Breton?
3. When was Paul Cezanne born?
4. In Section 5, Breton made the connection between lovers as linked and lacy grass and as what in turn?
5. The killer in Section 6 claimed in court that he had been driven to exasperation in part due to his wife's long-standing refusal of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What descriptions of Paris did Breton relate in Section 4? What monument did he take note of?
2. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
3. What did Breton associate with his sense of discord on his trip in Section 6?
4. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
5. What did Breton transition to following his descriptions of the volcano in Section 5?
6. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
7. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
8. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
9. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
10. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To whom was Mad Love dedicated? What did Breton write, closing Mad Love to this individual? How is Breton's views of gender reflected through this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the associations of the Surrealist Movement with "chance" and the occult. How did Breton define "chance"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of juxtaposition in surrealist art and literature. What did Breton assert was the purpose of juxtaposition? What are some examples he used in the text?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)