|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
2. Breton described feeling an overwhelming need for what, while in Brittany in Section 6?
3. What book states that once private property is abolished, "we can reasonably affirm that far from disappearing, monogamy will be realized for the first time'"?
4. While Section 5 ends by extolling love and passion, Section 6 emphasizes what?
5. In what year was Salvador Dali born?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
2. What did Breton transition to following his descriptions of the volcano in Section 5?
3. What is the subject and focus of Section 4? How does this section contrast from the previous one?
4. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
5. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
6. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
7. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
8. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
9. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
10. What trip did Breton recount in Section 6? Where did he go, and when?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the "found object" and the "art object" in Andre Breton's surrealist theory. What is the purpose of each to the artist and creator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author Paul Eluard and his work, theories, and influence on the Surrealist Movement. How did Eluard meet Breton? What was their friendship like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the associations of the Surrealist Movement with "chance" and the occult. How did Breton define "chance"?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)