|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of behavior did Breton write love "stirred up" in Section 4?
2. When was Alice in Wonderland published?
3. Who wrote Alice in Wonderland?
4. What did Breton suggest had had a major influence on his love life in Section 6?
5. In Section 5, Breton compared passing through the rough landscape to the volcano with passing through what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
2. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
3. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
4. Where did Breton describe visiting in Section 5? What was his impression of the location?
5. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
6. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
7. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
8. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
9. What did Breton feel the edits had done to the poem "Sunflower"?
10. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Andre Breton begin Mad Love by discussing the theater? What metaphors did he make using this art form? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life, career, and work of Man Ray. What relationship did Ray have with Breton? What involvement did Ray have within the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Breton's use of imagery, symbolism, and metaphor in his descriptions of Jacqueline Lamba in Section 4. What juxtapositions did the poet use? What effect did they have?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)