|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jacqueline Lamba was which of Andre Breton's wives?
2. In its ability to foresee his relationship with Lamba, Breton referred to the poem "Sunflower" as a poem of what?
3. Who wrote the Aeneid?
4. When was Paul Cezanne born?
5. In what year did Breton describe a trip to Brittany, in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
2. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
3. What did Breton feel the edits had done to the poem "Sunflower"?
4. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
5. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
6. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
7. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
8. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
9. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
10. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and discuss the works of Arthur Rimbaud, and the Comte de Lautréamont. Why did Breton cite these artists in the book? What influences did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Breton's use of imagery, symbolism, and metaphor in his descriptions of Jacqueline Lamba in Section 4. What juxtapositions did the poet use? What effect did they have?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the works of Freud and Engels cited in the text. What were each of these individuals known for? What influence did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)