|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
2. The film L'Age d'or was controversial because it was considered an attack on what?
3. Who was Jacqueline Lamba's second husband?
4. Where was Pierre Reverdy born?
5. When did Jacqueline Lamba die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
2. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
3. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
4. What did Breton transition to following his descriptions of the volcano in Section 5?
5. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
6. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
7. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
8. What descriptions of Paris did Breton relate in Section 4? What monument did he take note of?
9. What trip did Breton recount in Section 6? Where did he go, and when?
10. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the works of theater artists Alfred Jarry and Antonin Artaud. What impact did they have on surrealist thought and Andre Breton?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author Paul Eluard and his work, theories, and influence on the Surrealist Movement. How did Eluard meet Breton? What was their friendship like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the objects found by Andre Breton and Paul Giacometti in the flea market. What impact did Giacometti's object have on his incomplete sculpture?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)