|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Breton suggest had had a major influence on his love life in Section 6?
2. Who wrote Alice in Wonderland?
3. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
4. Who was Jacqueline Lamba's second husband?
5. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Breton describe visiting in Section 5? What was his impression of the location?
2. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
3. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
4. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
5. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
6. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
7. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
8. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
9. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
10. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Breton's political views and the political climate during the Surrealist Movement. How did Communism impact surrealist theory? How did World War I?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the associations of the Surrealist Movement with "chance" and the occult. How did Breton define "chance"?
Essay Topic 3
Using the Hegelian dialectic, discuss Breton's argument that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion and in repose, and between an object that is wished for and an object that is found. What is meant by "convulsive beauty"?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)