|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brittany is located where in France?
2. What poem of Baudelaire's is discussed in Section 5?
3. What was Jacqueline Lamba's occupation?
4. Who wrote New Justine, which was lauded by Breton in Section 5?
5. When was Paul Cezanne born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
2. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
3. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
4. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
5. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
6. What is the subject and focus of Section 4? How does this section contrast from the previous one?
7. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
8. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
9. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
10. What did Breton associate with his sense of discord on his trip in Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrative style of Mad Love. What different genres does this book incorporate? How is the book structured?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Breton's political views and the political climate during the Surrealist Movement. How did Communism impact surrealist theory? How did World War I?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the works of Freud and Engels cited in the text. What were each of these individuals known for? What influence did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)