|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
2. Paul Cézanne can be said to form the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and what early 20th century's new line of artistic inquiry?
3. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
4. In describing Lamba, Breton wrote, "This young woman who just entered appeared to be swathed in mist - clothed in" what?
5. What did Breton suggest had had a major influence on his love life in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton associate with his sense of discord on his trip in Section 6?
2. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
3. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
4. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
5. Where did Breton describe visiting in Section 5? What was his impression of the location?
6. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
7. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
8. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
9. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
10. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What two questions were posed by Andre Breton and Paul Eluard in The Minotaur? How did Breton define "the essential moment"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the two surrealist journals, The Minotaur and Literature. Who originated each, and what impact did they have on the evolution of the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Andre Breton begin Mad Love by discussing the theater? What metaphors did he make using this art form? Why?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)