|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Breton see as a monument to things that are hidden, in Section 4?
2. When was Paul Cezanne born?
3. Who was Jacqueline Lamba's second husband?
4. What did Breton write that he considered "temptation" to be?
5. Where was Pierre Reverdy born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
2. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
3. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
4. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
5. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
6. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
7. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
8. What did Breton feel the edits had done to the poem "Sunflower"?
9. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
10. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author Paul Eluard and his work, theories, and influence on the Surrealist Movement. How did Eluard meet Breton? What was their friendship like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the objects found by Andre Breton and Paul Giacometti in the flea market. What impact did Giacometti's object have on his incomplete sculpture?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)