|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term means an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast?
2. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
3. Who wrote the Aeneid?
4. Who wrote New Justine, which was lauded by Breton in Section 5?
5. The film L'Age d'or was controversial because it was considered an attack on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
2. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
3. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
4. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
5. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
6. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
7. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
8. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
9. What trip did Breton recount in Section 6? Where did he go, and when?
10. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the objects found by Andre Breton and Paul Giacometti in the flea market. What impact did Giacometti's object have on his incomplete sculpture?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrative style of Mad Love. What different genres does this book incorporate? How is the book structured?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "found object" and the "art object" in Andre Breton's surrealist theory. What is the purpose of each to the artist and creator?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)