|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The film L'Age d'or was controversial because it was considered an attack on what?
2. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
3. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
4. In what year did Breton describe a trip to Brittany, in Section 6?
5. Where was Pierre Reverdy born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
2. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
3. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
4. What trip did Breton recount in Section 6? Where did he go, and when?
5. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
6. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
7. What did Breton associate with his sense of discord on his trip in Section 6?
8. What descriptions of Paris did Breton relate in Section 4? What monument did he take note of?
9. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
10. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the objects found by Andre Breton and Paul Giacometti in the flea market. What impact did Giacometti's object have on his incomplete sculpture?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Andre Breton begin Mad Love by discussing the theater? What metaphors did he make using this art form? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "found object" and the "art object" in Andre Breton's surrealist theory. What is the purpose of each to the artist and creator?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)