|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jacqueline Lamba was which of Andre Breton's wives?
2. Who was a Trojan hero, the son of the prince Anchises and the goddess Aphrodite?
3. What did Breton see as a monument to things that are hidden, in Section 4?
4. The film L'Age d'or was controversial because it was considered an attack on what?
5. Regarding the poem, "Sunflower," Breton wrote, ""I say that there isn't anything in this poem of 1923 that did not announce the most important thing to happen to me in ____."
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
2. What descriptions of Paris did Breton relate in Section 4? What monument did he take note of?
3. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
4. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
5. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
6. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
7. What did Breton feel the edits had done to the poem "Sunflower"?
8. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
9. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
10. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Andre Breton begin Mad Love by discussing the theater? What metaphors did he make using this art form? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrative style of Mad Love. What different genres does this book incorporate? How is the book structured?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the settings of Tenerife, Paris and Brittany, as described in the text. How did each location exhibit a different mood and tone through Breton's writing?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)