|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Salvador Dali from?
2. The film L'Age d'or was controversial because it was considered an attack on what?
3. In what year was "Sunflower" written?
4. What did Breton write that he considered "temptation" to be?
5. When was Jacqueline Lamba born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton associate with his sense of discord on his trip in Section 6?
2. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
3. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
4. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
5. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
6. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
7. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
8. What trip did Breton recount in Section 6? Where did he go, and when?
9. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
10. What did Breton transition to following his descriptions of the volcano in Section 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the settings of Tenerife, Paris and Brittany, as described in the text. How did each location exhibit a different mood and tone through Breton's writing?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the two surrealist journals, The Minotaur and Literature. Who originated each, and what impact did they have on the evolution of the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the transition from the Dada Movement to the Surrealist Movement. What global events influenced these movements and their philosophies?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)