|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened later the same evening that Breton wrote of having met Lamba?
2. Venus is associated with what Greek goddess?
3. New Justine was set against the backdrop of what location?
4. Brittany is located where in France?
5. In what year was Salvador Dali born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trip did Breton recount in Section 6? Where did he go, and when?
2. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
3. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
4. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
5. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
6. What did Breton associate with his sense of discord on his trip in Section 6?
7. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
8. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
9. What did Breton transition to following his descriptions of the volcano in Section 5?
10. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the transition from the Dada Movement to the Surrealist Movement. What global events influenced these movements and their philosophies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life, career, and work of Man Ray. What relationship did Ray have with Breton? What involvement did Ray have within the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Using the Hegelian dialectic, discuss Breton's argument that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion and in repose, and between an object that is wished for and an object that is found. What is meant by "convulsive beauty"?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)