|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Breton describe a trip to Brittany, in Section 6?
2. Breton refers to the myth of Venus and the what?
3. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
4. What is the narrative point of view Breton used in describing his trip to Brittany, in Section 6?
5. Paul Cézanne can be said to form the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and what early 20th century's new line of artistic inquiry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
2. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
3. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
4. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
5. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
6. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
7. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
8. Where did Breton describe visiting in Section 5? What was his impression of the location?
9. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
10. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What two questions were posed by Andre Breton and Paul Eluard in The Minotaur? How did Breton define "the essential moment"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the associations of the Surrealist Movement with "chance" and the occult. How did Breton define "chance"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)