|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
2. In Section 5, Breton described some of the automatic writing games, including the repetition of some "childhood mirages," most notably the phrases "tree for bread" and "tree for" what?
3. In what month did Breton describe visiting Brittany, in Section 6?
4. While Section 5 ends by extolling love and passion, Section 6 emphasizes what?
5. What was Jacqueline Lamba's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
2. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
3. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
4. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
5. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
6. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
7. What did Breton associate with his sense of discord on his trip in Section 6?
8. What did Breton transition to following his descriptions of the volcano in Section 5?
9. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
10. What trip did Breton recount in Section 6? Where did he go, and when?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and discuss the works of Arthur Rimbaud, and the Comte de Lautréamont. Why did Breton cite these artists in the book? What influences did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the works of Freud and Engels cited in the text. What were each of these individuals known for? What influence did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the objects found by Andre Breton and Paul Giacometti in the flea market. What impact did Giacometti's object have on his incomplete sculpture?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)