|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
2. What is the original French title of Mad Love?
3. With whom does Breton relate a trip to a flea market in Section 3?
4. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
5. What comprises that organized part of the personality structure that criticizes and prohibits his or her drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
2. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
3. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
4. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
5. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
6. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
7. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
8. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
9. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
10. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the Hegelian dialectic, discuss Breton's argument that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion and in repose, and between an object that is wished for and an object that is found. What is meant by "convulsive beauty"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Breton's use of imagery, symbolism, and metaphor in his descriptions of Jacqueline Lamba in Section 4. What juxtapositions did the poet use? What effect did they have?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life, career, and work of Man Ray. What relationship did Ray have with Breton? What involvement did Ray have within the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)