|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French aristocrat and author from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century is known for his erotic and blasphemous novels, many of which were written while he was imprisoned?
2. What refers to a pack of cards (most commonly numbering 78), used from the mid-15th century in various parts of Europe to play a group of card games and for divination?
3. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
4. What Austrian neurologist founded the psychoanalytic school of psychiatry?
5. What comprises that organized part of the personality structure that criticizes and prohibits his or her drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first object found by Breton and Giacometti in Section 3?
2. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
3. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
4. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
5. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
6. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
7. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
8. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
9. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
10. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the works of Freud and Engels cited in the text. What were each of these individuals known for? What influence did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the associations of the Surrealist Movement with "chance" and the occult. How did Breton define "chance"?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)