|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Breton distinguishes in Section 1 between an object which is wished for and an object which is what?
2. What kind of brooch was the waitress in the diner wearing, as described by Breton in Section 1?
3. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
4. What nineteenth-century French poet's Les fleurs du mal was very influential on surrealism?
5. Which component of Freud's psychological model acts according to the "pleasure principle", seeking to avoid pain or displeasure aroused by increases in instinctual tension?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
2. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
3. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
4. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
5. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
6. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
7. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
8. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
9. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
10. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of juxtaposition in surrealist art and literature. What did Breton assert was the purpose of juxtaposition? What are some examples he used in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the transition from the Dada Movement to the Surrealist Movement. What global events influenced these movements and their philosophies?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)