|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Breton relate a trip to a flea market in Section 3?
2. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
3. What is the original French title of Mad Love?
4. What was the first object found by Breton and his friend in the flea market in Section 3?
5. What term refers to a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
2. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
3. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
4. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
5. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
6. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
7. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
8. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
9. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
10. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author Paul Eluard and his work, theories, and influence on the Surrealist Movement. How did Eluard meet Breton? What was their friendship like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the associations of the Surrealist Movement with "chance" and the occult. How did Breton define "chance"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "found object" and the "art object" in Andre Breton's surrealist theory. What is the purpose of each to the artist and creator?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)