|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was The Surrealist Manifesto released?
2. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
3. While the responses of the survey from Section 2 were largely insufficient, there was enough interesting material there that Breton felt what?
4. Breton wrote in Section 3 that the meaning of the slipper in Cinderella is that of "lost object" and that to Breton it symbolized what?
5. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
2. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
3. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
4. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
5. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
6. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
7. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
8. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
9. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
10. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the objects found by Andre Breton and Paul Giacometti in the flea market. What impact did Giacometti's object have on his incomplete sculpture?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of juxtaposition in surrealist art and literature. What did Breton assert was the purpose of juxtaposition? What are some examples he used in the text?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)