|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the original French title of Mad Love?
2. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
3. Who was the author of The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State?
4. What is the name of Andre Breton's daughter, to whom much of Mad Love is dedicated?
5. What American writer, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement, was best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Breton define "chance" in Section 2?
2. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
3. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
4. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
5. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
6. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
7. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
8. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
9. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
10. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the transition from the Dada Movement to the Surrealist Movement. What global events influenced these movements and their philosophies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrative style of Mad Love. What different genres does this book incorporate? How is the book structured?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "found object" and the "art object" in Andre Breton's surrealist theory. What is the purpose of each to the artist and creator?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)