|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fragmented phrase had Breton thought of months earlier, which resurfaced after the flea market in Section 3?
2. Which component of Freud's psychological model acts according to the "pleasure principle", seeking to avoid pain or displeasure aroused by increases in instinctual tension?
3. What French poet produced his best known works while still in his late teens and gave up creative writing altogether before the age of 21?
4. Breton noted in Section 2 that answering how a memory might stand out as a sign of the spontaneous was likely not an appropriate answer to be sought through what?
5. What refers to the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
2. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
3. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
4. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
5. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
6. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
7. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
8. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
9. What was the first object found by Breton and Giacometti in Section 3?
10. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and discuss the works of Arthur Rimbaud, and the Comte de Lautréamont. Why did Breton cite these artists in the book? What influences did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "found object" and the "art object" in Andre Breton's surrealist theory. What is the purpose of each to the artist and creator?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)