|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the questionnaires sent out were returned with responses in Section 2?
2. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
3. What Surrealist journal is cited in Section 2 of Mad Love?
4. The only works published of Comte de Lautréamont include Les Chants de Maldoror and what?
5. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
2. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
3. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
4. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
5. What was the first object found by Breton and Giacometti in Section 3?
6. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
7. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
8. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
9. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
10. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life, career, and work of Man Ray. What relationship did Ray have with Breton? What involvement did Ray have within the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Breton's use of imagery, symbolism, and metaphor in his descriptions of Jacqueline Lamba in Section 4. What juxtapositions did the poet use? What effect did they have?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the transition from the Dada Movement to the Surrealist Movement. What global events influenced these movements and their philosophies?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)