|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the original French title of Mad Love?
2. What is the first of the questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
3. Breton stated, in the first postscript of Section 3, that he had repressed the connection between the spoon and the what?
4. Breton wrote in Section 3 that the meaning of the slipper in Cinderella is that of "lost object" and that to Breton it symbolized what?
5. Breton uses a metaphor in Section 1 comparing great quartz crystals found in grottoes in Europe and the simple crystals found in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
2. What was the first object found by Breton and Giacometti in Section 3?
3. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
4. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
5. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
6. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
7. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
8. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
9. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
10. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the Hegelian dialectic, discuss Breton's argument that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion and in repose, and between an object that is wished for and an object that is found. What is meant by "convulsive beauty"?
Essay Topic 2
To whom was Mad Love dedicated? What did Breton write, closing Mad Love to this individual? How is Breton's views of gender reflected through this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the works of theater artists Alfred Jarry and Antonin Artaud. What impact did they have on surrealist thought and Andre Breton?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)