|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American writer, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement, was best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre?
2. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
3. What is the title of the photograph in Section 1 which accompanies Breton's discussion of Tarot?
4. When was The Communist Manifesto produced?
5. Breton wrote in Section 3 that the meaning of the slipper in Cinderella is that of "lost object" and that to Breton it symbolized what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
2. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
3. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
4. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
5. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
6. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
7. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
8. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
9. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
10. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the associations of the Surrealist Movement with "chance" and the occult. How did Breton define "chance"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the works of Freud and Engels cited in the text. What were each of these individuals known for? What influence did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two surrealist journals, The Minotaur and Literature. Who originated each, and what impact did they have on the evolution of the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)