|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
2. What is the second of the two essential questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
3. What story did the spoon from the flea market evoke for Breton?
4. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
5. Breton wrote in Section 3 that the meaning of the slipper in Cinderella is that of "lost object" and that to Breton it symbolized what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
2. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
3. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
4. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
5. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
6. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
7. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
8. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
9. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
10. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 1
Why did Andre Breton begin Mad Love by discussing the theater? What metaphors did he make using this art form? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the works of theater artists Alfred Jarry and Antonin Artaud. What impact did they have on surrealist thought and Andre Breton?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and discuss the works of Arthur Rimbaud, and the Comte de LautrÃ©amont. Why did Breton cite these artists in the book? What influences did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)