|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
2. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
3. When was the second postscript of Section 3 written?
4. What was the second object found by Breton and his friend at the flea market in Section 3?
5. Breton claimed in Section 3 that the found object acted as a _____ for Giacometti.
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
2. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
3. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
4. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
5. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
6. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
7. How did Breton define "chance" in Section 2?
8. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
9. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
10. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author Paul Eluard and his work, theories, and influence on the Surrealist Movement. How did Eluard meet Breton? What was their friendship like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the associations of the Surrealist Movement with "chance" and the occult. How did Breton define "chance"?
Essay Topic 3
To whom was Mad Love dedicated? What did Breton write, closing Mad Love to this individual? How is Breton's views of gender reflected through this relationship?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)