|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was The Surrealist Manifesto released?
2. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
3. What term relates to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies?
4. What refers to a pack of cards (most commonly numbering 78), used from the mid-15th century in various parts of Europe to play a group of card games and for divination?
5. The only works published of Comte de Lautréamont include Les Chants de Maldoror and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
2. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
3. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
4. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
5. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
6. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
7. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
8. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
9. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
10. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and discuss the works of Arthur Rimbaud, and the Comte de Lautréamont. Why did Breton cite these artists in the book? What influences did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Breton's use of imagery, symbolism, and metaphor in his descriptions of Jacqueline Lamba in Section 4. What juxtapositions did the poet use? What effect did they have?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the associations of the Surrealist Movement with "chance" and the occult. How did Breton define "chance"?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)