|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Breton recount a conversation in the first postscript of Section 3?
2. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
3. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
4. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
5. What story did the spoon from the flea market evoke for Breton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
2. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
3. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
4. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
5. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
6. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
7. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
8. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
9. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
10. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Breton's political views and the political climate during the Surrealist Movement. How did Communism impact surrealist theory? How did World War I?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two surrealist journals, The Minotaur and Literature. Who originated each, and what impact did they have on the evolution of the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)