|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French poet produced his best known works while still in his late teens and gave up creative writing altogether before the age of 21?
2. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
3. What Austrian neurologist founded the psychoanalytic school of psychiatry?
4. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
5. What fragmented phrase had Breton thought of months earlier, which resurfaced after the flea market in Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
2. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
3. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
4. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
5. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
6. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
7. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
8. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
9. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
10. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two surrealist journals, The Minotaur and Literature. Who originated each, and what impact did they have on the evolution of the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Breton's use of imagery, symbolism, and metaphor in his descriptions of Jacqueline Lamba in Section 4. What juxtapositions did the poet use? What effect did they have?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the works of Freud and Engels cited in the text. What were each of these individuals known for? What influence did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)