|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the questionnaires sent out were returned with responses in Section 2?
2. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
3. Breton argues that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion, and how?
4. While the responses of the survey from Section 2 were largely insufficient, there was enough interesting material there that Breton felt what?
5. Breton claimed in Section 3 that the found object acted as a _____ for Giacometti.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
2. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
3. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
4. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
5. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
6. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
7. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
8. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
9. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
10. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of juxtaposition in surrealist art and literature. What did Breton assert was the purpose of juxtaposition? What are some examples he used in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and discuss the works of Arthur Rimbaud, and the Comte de Lautréamont. Why did Breton cite these artists in the book? What influences did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)