|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The only works published of Comte de Lautréamont include Les Chants de Maldoror and what?
2. Section 3 begins by invoking one of the cornerstones of the avant-garde, referred to as what?
3. Who first stated and established the Hegelian dialectic?
4. When was The Surrealist Manifesto released?
5. What term relates to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
2. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
3. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
4. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
5. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
6. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
7. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
8. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
9. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
10. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the objects found by Andre Breton and Paul Giacometti in the flea market. What impact did Giacometti's object have on his incomplete sculpture?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
Essay Topic 3
What two questions were posed by Andre Breton and Paul Eluard in The Minotaur? How did Breton define "the essential moment"?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)