|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Breton meet Lamba?
2. What Swiss sculptor, painter, draughtsman, and printmaker created the monument on the grave of Gerda Taro at Père Lachaise Cemetery?
3. What term refers to a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment?
4. With whom does Breton relate a trip to a flea market in Section 3?
5. Breton argues that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion, and how?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
2. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
3. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
4. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
5. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
6. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
7. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
8. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
9. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
10. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the works of Freud and Engels cited in the text. What were each of these individuals known for? What influence did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "found object" and the "art object" in Andre Breton's surrealist theory. What is the purpose of each to the artist and creator?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)