Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
2. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
3. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
4. What is the first of the questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
5. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
2. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
3. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
4. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
5. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
6. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
7. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
8. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
9. What did Breton feel the edits had done to the poem "Sunflower"?
10. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
Describe the author Paul Eluard and his work, theories, and influence on the Surrealist Movement. How did Eluard meet Breton? What was their friendship like?
Describe the two surrealist journals, The Minotaur and Literature. Who originated each, and what impact did they have on the evolution of the Surrealist Movement?
Discuss Breton's use of imagery, symbolism, and metaphor in his descriptions of Jacqueline Lamba in Section 4. What juxtapositions did the poet use? What effect did they have?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)