|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What art form does Breton invoke in the beginning of Mad Love?
2. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
3. In his self-reflection, Breton argued, he could point out the most significant and trivial details of his life and link them to the importance of what?
4. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
5. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton write of the virtues of poverty in Section 7?
2. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
3. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
4. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
5. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
6. What descriptions of Paris did Breton relate in Section 4? What monument did he take note of?
7. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
8. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
9. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
10. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the works of Freud and Engels cited in the text. What were each of these individuals known for? What influence did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the settings of Tenerife, Paris and Brittany, as described in the text. How did each location exhibit a different mood and tone through Breton's writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Breton's use of imagery, symbolism, and metaphor in his descriptions of Jacqueline Lamba in Section 4. What juxtapositions did the poet use? What effect did they have?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)