|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Annabel Lee"?
2. Breton distinguishes in Section 1 between an object which is wished for and an object which is what?
3. Who first stated and established the Hegelian dialectic?
4. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
5. Breton argues that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion, and how?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
2. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
3. How did Breton define "chance" in Section 2?
4. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
5. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
6. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
7. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
8. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
9. What was the first object found by Breton and Giacometti in Section 3?
10. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the objects found by Andre Breton and Paul Giacometti in the flea market. What impact did Giacometti's object have on his incomplete sculpture?
Essay Topic 2
To whom was Mad Love dedicated? What did Breton write, closing Mad Love to this individual? How is Breton's views of gender reflected through this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the works of theater artists Alfred Jarry and Antonin Artaud. What impact did they have on surrealist thought and Andre Breton?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)