|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
2. The only works published of Comte de Lautréamont include Les Chants de Maldoror and what?
3. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
4. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
5. Breton noted in Section 2 that answering how a memory might stand out as a sign of the spontaneous was likely not an appropriate answer to be sought through what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trip did Breton recount in Section 6? Where did he go, and when?
2. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
3. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
4. What did Breton suggest about the dualities of love and violence in Section 7?
5. How old was Aube when Mad Love was written? How did Breton address her in the final section of the book?
6. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
7. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
8. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
9. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
10. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the works of theater artists Alfred Jarry and Antonin Artaud. What impact did they have on surrealist thought and Andre Breton?
Essay Topic 2
To whom was Mad Love dedicated? What did Breton write, closing Mad Love to this individual? How is Breton's views of gender reflected through this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the objects found by Andre Breton and Paul Giacometti in the flea market. What impact did Giacometti's object have on his incomplete sculpture?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)