|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
2. What did the dishwasher shout in the diner, as described by Breton in Section 1?
3. What kind of brooch was the waitress in the diner wearing, as described by Breton in Section 1?
4. Breton argues that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion, and how?
5. Who was the author of The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
2. Where did Breton describe visiting in Section 5? What was his impression of the location?
3. What did Breton write of the virtues of poverty in Section 7?
4. How old was Aube when Mad Love was written? How did Breton address her in the final section of the book?
5. What is the subject and focus of Section 7 of Mad Love? What juxtaposition is shown in this section?
6. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
7. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
8. What images did Breton use in closing Mad Love?
9. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
10. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the transition from the Dada Movement to the Surrealist Movement. What global events influenced these movements and their philosophies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the works of Freud and Engels cited in the text. What were each of these individuals known for? What influence did they have on the Surrealist Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of juxtaposition in surrealist art and literature. What did Breton assert was the purpose of juxtaposition? What are some examples he used in the text?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)