|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fragmented phrase had Breton thought of months earlier, which resurfaced after the flea market in Section 3?
2. What Austrian neurologist founded the psychoanalytic school of psychiatry?
3. What season was it that Breton went to the flea market with his friend in Section 3?
4. What did Breton note was "lacking" in Giacometti's sculpture?
5. Who published Civilization and Its Discontents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first object found by Breton and Giacometti in Section 3?
2. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
3. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
4. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
5. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
6. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
7. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
8. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
9. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
10. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the "found object" and the "art object" in Andre Breton's surrealist theory. What is the purpose of each to the artist and creator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life and career of Charles Baudelaire. What influence did Baudelaire have on the Surrealist Movement? What impact did he have on other movements in literature?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life, career, and work of Man Ray. What relationship did Ray have with Breton? What involvement did Ray have within the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)