|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
2. Who was a Trojan hero, the son of the prince Anchises and the goddess Aphrodite?
3. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
(a) 390 BC.
(b) 123 BC.
(c) 293 BC.
(d) 200 BC.
4. Who painted The House of the Hanged Man?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Charles Baudelaire.
(c) Salvador Dali.
(d) Paul Cezanne.
5. What French writer and poet, novelist, critic, and political activist helped initiate the periodical Littérature?
(a) Pierre Reverdy.
(b) Antonin Artaud.
(c) Philippe Soupault.
(d) Charles Baudelaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his descriptions of Lamba, where did Breton write of "a tiny, unforgettable fern climbing the inside wall of an ancient well, the deepest, most somber, and most extensive of all those that I have ever leaned over"?
2. What happened later the same evening that Breton wrote of having met Lamba?
3. In describing Lamba, Breton wrote, "This young woman who just entered appeared to be swathed in mist - clothed in" what?
4. When did Jacqueline Lamba die?
5. In reviewing his poem, "Sunflower," Breton wrote, "Today I am unhesitatingly convinced of its profound ____."
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
2. What descriptions of Paris did Breton relate in Section 4? What monument did he take note of?
3. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
4. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
5. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
6. What did Breton remark of the flora and fauna in Section 5?
7. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
8. What did Breton transition to following his descriptions of the volcano in Section 5?
9. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
10. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)