|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
2. In Section 5, Breton compared passing through the rough landscape to the volcano with passing through what?
3. When was Alice in Wonderland published?
4. In Section 4, Breton cites one of his poems where the tower sways like what?
(a) A sunflower.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A blade of grass.
(d) A tree.
5. When did Jacqueline Lamba die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Breton concludes Section 5 wondering if perhaps the connection between the coast, the house, the murder, and his desire for solitude do not constitute an ______ and a deliberate undoing.
2. Who wrote New Justine, which was lauded by Breton in Section 5?
3. Who summarized his approach in the first line of chapter one of The Communist Manifesto: "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles"?
4. Jacqueline Lamba was which of Andre Breton's wives?
5. Paul Cézanne can be said to form the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and what early 20th century's new line of artistic inquiry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
2. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
3. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
4. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
5. What did Breton feel the edits had done to the poem "Sunflower"?
6. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
7. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
8. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
9. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
10. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)