|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who painted The House of the Hanged Man?
(a) Paul Cezanne.
(b) Salvador Dali.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Charles Baudelaire.
2. What is the narrative point of view Breton used in describing his trip to Brittany, in Section 6?
(a) First person singular.
(b) Second person plural.
(c) First person plural.
(d) Third person singular.
3. Jacqueline Lamba was which of Andre Breton's wives?
4. Breton concludes Section 5 wondering if perhaps the connection between the coast, the house, the murder, and his desire for solitude do not constitute an ______ and a deliberate undoing.
5. In Section 5, Breton compared passing through the rough landscape to the volcano with passing through what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Alice in Wonderland?
2. In describing Lamba, Breton wrote, "This young woman who just entered appeared to be swathed in mist - clothed in" what?
3. Who wrote New Justine, which was lauded by Breton in Section 5?
4. What did Breton write that he considered "temptation" to be?
5. Breton remarked in Section 4 that he had retained a copy of "Sunflower" for over how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject and focus of Section 4? How does this section contrast from the previous one?
2. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
3. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
4. Where did Breton describe visiting in Section 5? What was his impression of the location?
5. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
6. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
7. What descriptions of Paris did Breton relate in Section 4? What monument did he take note of?
8. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
9. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
10. What juxtapositions did Breton use in his descriptions of Lamba in Section 4?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)