|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In its ability to foresee his relationship with Lamba, Breton referred to the poem "Sunflower" as a poem of what?
2. Paul Cézanne can be said to form the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and what early 20th century's new line of artistic inquiry?
3. Who summarized his approach in the first line of chapter one of The Communist Manifesto: "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles"?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Friedrich Engels.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
4. What did Breton note about the stories of Venus in Section 6?
5. When was Jacqueline Lamba born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Pierre Reverdy born?
2. While Section 5 ends by extolling love and passion, Section 6 emphasizes what?
3. What did Breton write that he considered "temptation" to be?
4. In Section 5, Breton compared passing through the rough landscape to the volcano with passing through what?
5. What term means an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
2. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
3. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
4. How did Breton describe Lamba in Section 4?
5. Why did Breton cite Venus mythology in Section 6? What myths did he cite?
6. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
7. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
8. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
9. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
10. What descriptions of Paris did Breton relate in Section 4? What monument did he take note of?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)