|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What astrological sign was Andre Breton?
2. Who was presumably with Breton in Brittany in Section 6?
3. In Section 4, Breton cites one of his poems where the tower sways like what?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A tree.
(c) A sunflower.
(d) A blade of grass.
4. According to Breton, "____, the only motive of the world, ____, the only rigor humans must be acquainted with, where could I better situated to adore it than on the inside of the cloud?
5. What book states that once private property is abolished, "we can reasonably affirm that far from disappearing, monogamy will be realized for the first time'"?
(a) The Origins of State.
(b) The Origins of Freedom.
(c) The Origins of the Family.
(d) The Origins of Property.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote New Justine, which was lauded by Breton in Section 5?
2. In what year was Salvador Dali born?
3. Breton regretted, in Section 4, that he no longer had the _____ of "Sunflower."
4. When did Jacqueline Lamba die?
5. What did Breton refer to as "a splendid fourteenth-century French town today abandoned to gypsies"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Breton describe visiting in Section 5? What was his impression of the location?
2. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
3. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
4. Why did Breton not name his company on his trip in Section 6?
5. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
6. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
7. What did Breton write of prophecy in his poem "Sunflower" in Section 4? How did he further illustrate this point?
8. What did Breton feel the edits had done to the poem "Sunflower"?
9. What did Breton transition to following his descriptions of the volcano in Section 5?
10. What nature imagery did Breton evoke in his description of Lamba in Section 4?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)