|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Paul Cezanne born?
2. Where did Breton go to the top of a volcano in Section 5?
(b) Gran Canaria.
(c) La Palma.
3. Who was Jacqueline Lamba's second husband?
(a) David Hare.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Andrew Lloyd Webber.
(d) Samuel Beckett.
4. In Section 5, Breton described some of the automatic writing games, including the repetition of some "childhood mirages," most notably the phrases "tree for bread" and "tree for" what?
5. Breton described feeling an overwhelming need for what, while in Brittany in Section 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
2. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
3. What was Jacqueline Lamba's occupation?
4. What did Breton refer to the fauna as on his trip to the volcano in Section 5?
5. What kind of behavior did Breton write love "stirred up" in Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Breton write the poem, "Sunflower" in Section 4? To whom was it dedicated?
2. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
3. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
4. What trip did Breton recount in Section 6? Where did he go, and when?
5. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
6. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
7. What did Breton write of "The House of the Hanged Man" in Section 6?
8. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
9. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
10. What did Breton transition to following his descriptions of the volcano in Section 5?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)