|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Breton and his friend, in Section 3, associated the mask's original purpose as being what?
(a) German sabre mask.
(b) British sabre mask.
(c) Russian sabre mask.
(d) French sabre mask.
2. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
3. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
4. What did Breton define as "the form making manifest the exterior necessity which traces its path in the human unconscious"?
5. What art form does Breton invoke in the beginning of Mad Love?
Short Answer Questions
1. Breton recalls a trip to the flea market in what year, in Section 3?
2. When was The Surrealist Manifesto released?
3. While the responses of the survey from Section 2 were largely insufficient, there was enough interesting material there that Breton felt what?
4. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
5. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
2. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
3. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
4. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
5. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
6. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
7. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
8. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
9. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
10. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)