|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Freud's theory, the ego mediates among the ___, the super-ego and the external world.
2. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
(a) His own.
(b) His son's.
(c) His wife's.
(d) His daughter's
3. Who published Civilization and Its Discontents?
(a) Karl Marx.
(b) Friedrich Engels.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Carl Jung.
4. What Surrealist journal is cited in Section 2 of Mad Love?
(a) The Minotaur.
(b) The Centaur.
(c) The Venus.
5. Breton claimed in Section 3 that the found object acted as a _____ for Giacometti.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it that Breton recounted going to a restaurant, in Section 1?
2. Which component of Freud's psychological model acts according to the "pleasure principle", seeking to avoid pain or displeasure aroused by increases in instinctual tension?
3. Whose photography is featured throughout Mad Love?
4. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
5. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
2. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
3. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
4. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
5. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
6. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
7. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
8. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
9. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
10. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)