|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
(a) Jacques Vaché.
(b) Francois Depardieux.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Alfred Jarry.
2. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
(a) His daughter's
(b) His wife's.
(c) His own.
(d) His son's.
3. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
4. What is the first of the questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
(a) "What do you consider the essential encounter of your life?"
(b) "What is the meaning of life?"
(c) "To what extent did this encounter seem to you, and, does it seem to you now, to be fortuitous or foreordained?"
(d) "Is there a God?"
5. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a mythological monster, half-man and half-bull?
2. Who wrote Mad Love?
3. Who first stated and established the Hegelian dialectic?
4. Whose grief at the premature death of his wife, Nusch, in 1946 inspired the work "Le temps déborde" in 1947?
5. What was the second object found by Breton and his friend at the flea market in Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
2. What did Breton conclude of his trip in Section 6?
3. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
4. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
5. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
6. What did Breton write of his own relationship to discord in Section 6?
7. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
8. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
9. What did Breton feel the edits had done to the poem "Sunflower"?
10. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)