|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which component of Freud's psychological model acts according to the "pleasure principle", seeking to avoid pain or displeasure aroused by increases in instinctual tension?
2. What represents that organized part of the personality structure that includes defensive, perceptual, intellectual-cognitive, and executive functions?
3. Breton claimed in Section 3 that the found object acted as a _____ for Giacometti.
4. Breton argues that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion, and how?
(a) In space.
(b) In repose.
(c) In existence.
(d) In the mind.
5. What, in psychoanalytic theory, is a group of largely unconscious (dynamically repressed) ideas and feelings which concentrate on the desire to possess the parent of the opposite sex and eliminate the parent of the same sex?
(a) Aphrodite complex.
(c) Oedipal complex.
(d) Venus complex.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it that Breton recounted going to a restaurant, in Section 1?
2. Breton noted in Section 2 that answering how a memory might stand out as a sign of the spontaneous was likely not an appropriate answer to be sought through what?
3. Where did Breton meet Lamba?
4. What Austrian neurologist founded the psychoanalytic school of psychiatry?
5. What term relates to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
2. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
3. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
4. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
5. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
6. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
7. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
8. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
9. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
10. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)