|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose photography is featured throughout Mad Love?
(a) Pablo Picasso's.
(b) Gustav Klimt's.
(c) Man Ray's.
(d) Ansel Adam's.
2. Breton stated, in the first postscript of Section 3, that he had repressed the connection between the spoon and the what?
3. What was the pseudonym of Isidore Lucien Ducasse, an Uruguayan-born French poet?
(a) Alfred Jarry.
(b) Comte de Lautréamont.
(c) Arthur Rimbaud.
(d) Jacques Vaché.
4. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
(a) Jacques Vaché.
(b) Arthur Rimbaud.
(c) Alfred Jarry.
(d) Comte de Lautréamont.
5. What French aristocrat and author from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century is known for his erotic and blasphemous novels, many of which were written while he was imprisoned?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Charles Baudelaire.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Marquis de Sade.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the author of The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State?
2. What did Breton define as "the form making manifest the exterior necessity which traces its path in the human unconscious"?
3. What Austrian neurologist founded the psychoanalytic school of psychiatry?
4. What French poet produced his best known works while still in his late teens and gave up creative writing altogether before the age of 21?
5. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
2. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
3. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
4. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
5. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
6. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
7. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
8. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
9. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
10. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)