|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
2. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
(a) Jacques Vaché.
(b) Antonin Artaud.
(c) Francois Depardieux.
(d) Alfred Jarry.
3. The only works published of Comte de Lautréamont include Les Chants de Maldoror and what?
(a) L'amour fou.
(d) Mad Love.
4. In his self-reflection, Breton argued, he could point out the most significant and trivial details of his life and link them to the importance of what?
5. What is the title of the photograph in Section 1 which accompanies Breton's discussion of Tarot?
(a) "Myself and her."
(b) "Cards and wine."
(d) "Tarot and love."
Short Answer Questions
1. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
2. What was the pen name of Eugène Émile Paul Grindel?
3. What art form does Breton invoke in the beginning of Mad Love?
4. What French poet produced his best known works while still in his late teens and gave up creative writing altogether before the age of 21?
5. What is the original French title of Mad Love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Breton define "chance" in Section 2?
2. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
3. What was the first object found by Breton and Giacometti in Section 3?
4. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
5. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
6. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
7. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
8. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
9. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
10. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)