|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his self-reflection, Breton argued, he could point out the most significant and trivial details of his life and link them to the importance of what?
2. In Freud's theory, the ego mediates among the ___, the super-ego and the external world.
3. Breton uses a metaphor in Section 1 comparing great quartz crystals found in grottoes in Europe and the simple crystals found in what?
(b) Building material.
(d) Rock salt.
4. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A ring.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A girl.
(d) A cat.
5. What did the dishwasher shout in the diner, as described by Breton in Section 1?
(a) "Poisson soluble."
(c) "S'il Vous Plaît."
(d) "La bouche!"
Short Answer Questions
1. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
2. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
3. What French poet produced his best known works while still in his late teens and gave up creative writing altogether before the age of 21?
4. Who published Civilization and Its Discontents?
5. Breton noted in Section 2 that answering how a memory might stand out as a sign of the spontaneous was likely not an appropriate answer to be sought through what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
2. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
3. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
4. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
5. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
6. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
7. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
8. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
9. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
10. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)