|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Mad Love?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(b) Luis Bunuel.
(c) Jacques Vaché.
(d) Andre Breton.
2. What was the second object found by Breton and his friend at the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A mask.
(b) A doll.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A spoon.
3. With whom does Breton relate a trip to a flea market in Section 3?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(b) Alberto Giacometti.
(c) Paul Eluard.
(d) Paul Cezanne.
4. Breton claimed in Section 3 that the found object acted as a _____ for Giacometti.
5. When was The Communist Manifesto produced?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment?
2. What did Breton recall an early definition of as "big spoons, enormous bitter-apples, and chandeliers of soap bubbles"?
3. While the responses of the survey from Section 2 were largely insufficient, there was enough interesting material there that Breton felt what?
4. Who wrote The Poverty of Philosophy?
5. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
2. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
3. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
4. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
5. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
6. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
7. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
8. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
9. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
10. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)