|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "Annabel Lee"?
(a) Arthur Rimbaud.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Alfred Jarry.
(d) Comte de Lautréamont.
2. What American writer, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement, was best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre?
(a) Sam Shepherd.
(b) Jacques Vaché.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
3. In his self-reflection, Breton argued, he could point out the most significant and trivial details of his life and link them to the importance of what?
4. What was the pen name of Eugène Émile Paul Grindel?
(a) Sam Beckett.
(b) Antonin Artaud.
(c) Paul Eluard.
(d) Andre Breton.
5. What term relates to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Breton uses a metaphor in Section 1 comparing great quartz crystals found in grottoes in Europe and the simple crystals found in what?
2. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
3. What refers to the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed?
4. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
5. In Section 2, Breton sought to answer how one memory might stand out as being a "sign of the spontaneous, the indeterminate, the unforeseeable or even the _____."
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
2. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
3. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
4. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
5. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
6. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
7. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
8. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
9. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
10. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)