|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second of the two essential questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
(a) "What do you consider the essential encounter of your life?"
(b) "What is the meaning of life?"
(c) "To what extent did this encounter seem to you, and, does it seem to you now, to be fortuitous or foreordained?"
(d) "What do you want the most out of life?"
2. What was the second object found by Breton and his friend at the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A doll.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A mask.
3. Breton noted in Section 2 that answering how a memory might stand out as a sign of the spontaneous was likely not an appropriate answer to be sought through what?
(b) A survey.
(c) A magazine.
(d) A test.
4. While the responses of the survey from Section 2 were largely insufficient, there was enough interesting material there that Breton felt what?
(a) There was reason to use them, regardless.
(b) There was reason to send them again.
(c) There was more to say.
(d) There was some scientific justification.
5. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first object found by Breton and his friend in the flea market in Section 3?
2. What fragmented phrase had Breton thought of months earlier, which resurfaced after the flea market in Section 3?
3. What American writer, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement, was best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre?
4. What German social scientist, author, political theorist and philosopher co-founded communist theory, alongside Karl Marx?
5. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
2. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
3. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
4. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
5. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
6. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
7. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
8. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
9. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
10. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)