|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story did the spoon from the flea market evoke for Breton?
(c) Hansel and Gretel.
(d) Sleeping Beauty.
2. When was the second postscript of Section 3 written?
3. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
4. What is the name of Andre Breton's daughter, to whom much of Mad Love is dedicated?
5. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A shoe.
(b) A girl.
(c) A cat.
(d) A ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the photograph in Section 1 which accompanies Breton's discussion of Tarot?
2. What kind of brooch was the waitress in the diner wearing, as described by Breton in Section 1?
3. Breton recalls a trip to the flea market in what year, in Section 3?
4. What term refers to a violent agitation or disturbance; commotion?
5. What art form does Breton invoke in the beginning of Mad Love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
2. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
3. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
4. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
5. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
6. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
7. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
8. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
9. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
10. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)