|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
(b) Thin blade.
(d) Thin paper.
2. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
(a) His wife's.
(b) His daughter's
(c) His son's.
(d) His own.
3. Who wrote "Annabel Lee"?
(a) Arthur Rimbaud.
(b) Comte de Lautréamont.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) Alfred Jarry.
4. What French aristocrat and author from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century is known for his erotic and blasphemous novels, many of which were written while he was imprisoned?
(a) Charles Baudelaire.
(b) Andre Breton.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Marquis de Sade.
5. What term relates to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it that Breton recounted going to a restaurant, in Section 1?
2. What did Breton note was "lacking" in Giacometti's sculpture?
3. What Austrian neurologist founded the psychoanalytic school of psychiatry?
4. On what date did Breton recount going to a restaurant, in Section 1?
5. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
2. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
3. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
4. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
5. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
6. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
7. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
8. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
9. What did Breton write of juxtaposition in the found object in Section 3?
10. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)