|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mad Love was written as a continuation of what previous work which explored a relationship with a woman who later turned out to be mentally unstable?
(b) L'Air de l'eau.
(c) L'Immaculée Conception.
(d) Ralentir travaux.
2. What, in psychoanalytic theory, is a group of largely unconscious (dynamically repressed) ideas and feelings which concentrate on the desire to possess the parent of the opposite sex and eliminate the parent of the same sex?
(a) Oedipal complex.
(b) Venus complex.
(c) Aphrodite complex.
3. Who wrote The Poverty of Philosophy?
(a) Benito Mussolini.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Friedrich Engels.
4. What Surrealist journal is cited in Section 2 of Mad Love?
(a) The Minotaur.
(b) The Venus.
(d) The Centaur.
5. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which component of Freud's psychological model acts according to the "pleasure principle", seeking to avoid pain or displeasure aroused by increases in instinctual tension?
2. What was the pseudonym of Isidore Lucien Ducasse, an Uruguayan-born French poet?
3. Who published Civilization and Its Discontents?
4. What is the name of Andre Breton's daughter, to whom much of Mad Love is dedicated?
5. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
2. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
3. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
4. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
5. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
6. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
7. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
8. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
9. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
10. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)