|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Andre Breton's daughter, to whom much of Mad Love is dedicated?
2. What refers to a pack of cards (most commonly numbering 78), used from the mid-15th century in various parts of Europe to play a group of card games and for divination?
3. Who wrote Mad Love?
(a) Luis Bunuel.
(b) Andre Breton.
(c) Jacques Vaché.
(d) Salvador Dali.
4. What refers to the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed?
5. What Swiss sculptor, painter, draughtsman, and printmaker created the monument on the grave of Gerda Taro at Père Lachaise Cemetery?
(a) Paul Cezanne.
(b) Roberto Gogol.
(c) Paul Eluard.
(d) Alberto Giacometti.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to a violent agitation or disturbance; commotion?
2. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
3. When was the second postscript of Section 3 written?
4. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
5. What German social scientist, author, political theorist and philosopher co-founded communist theory, alongside Karl Marx?
Short Essay Questions
1. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
2. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
3. How did Breton define "chance" in Section 2?
4. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
5. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
6. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
7. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
8. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
9. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
10. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)