|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Breton note was "lacking" in Giacometti's sculpture?
(a) The arms.
(b) The legs.
(c) The face.
(d) The torso.
2. What nineteenth-century French poet's Les fleurs du mal was very influential on surrealism?
(a) Andre Breton's.
(b) Marquis de Sade's.
(c) Charles Baudelaire's.
(d) Antonin Artaud's.
3. What year was it that Breton recounted going to a restaurant, in Section 1?
4. What refers to a pack of cards (most commonly numbering 78), used from the mid-15th century in various parts of Europe to play a group of card games and for divination?
5. What was the first object found by Breton and his friend in the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A mask.
(b) A puppet.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Breton define as "the form making manifest the exterior necessity which traces its path in the human unconscious"?
2. With whom does Breton relate a trip to a flea market in Section 3?
3. In Section 2, Breton sought to answer how one memory might stand out as being a "sign of the spontaneous, the indeterminate, the unforeseeable or even the _____."
4. Section 3 begins by invoking one of the cornerstones of the avant-garde, referred to as what?
5. What, in psychoanalytic theory, is a group of largely unconscious (dynamically repressed) ideas and feelings which concentrate on the desire to possess the parent of the opposite sex and eliminate the parent of the same sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Breton define "chance" in Section 2?
2. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
3. What questions did Breton pose in Section 2? Where were they published?
4. How did Breton go about stating his case on "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
5. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
6. How effective was Breton's survey in Section 2? What did he conclude?
7. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
8. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
9. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
10. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)