|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What art form does Breton invoke in the beginning of Mad Love?
2. What nineteenth-century French poet's Les fleurs du mal was very influential on surrealism?
(a) Andre Breton's.
(b) Charles Baudelaire's.
(c) Antonin Artaud's.
(d) Marquis de Sade's.
3. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
(a) Francois Depardieux.
(b) Alfred Jarry.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Jacques Vaché.
4. What refers to the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed?
5. What German social scientist, author, political theorist and philosopher co-founded communist theory, alongside Karl Marx?
(a) Benito Mussolini.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Friedrich Engels.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the original French title of Mad Love?
2. What did Breton define as "the form making manifest the exterior necessity which traces its path in the human unconscious"?
3. Who wrote Mad Love?
4. What story did the spoon from the flea market evoke for Breton?
5. Breton uses a metaphor in Section 1 comparing great quartz crystals found in grottoes in Europe and the simple crystals found in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Breton define "chance" in Section 2?
2. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
3. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
4. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
5. What was the first object found by Breton and Giacometti in Section 3?
6. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
7. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
8. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
9. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
10. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)