|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a mythological monster, half-man and half-bull?
2. What season was it that Breton went to the flea market with his friend in Section 3?
3. Breton and his friend, in Section 3, associated the mask's original purpose as being what?
(a) Russian sabre mask.
(b) German sabre mask.
(c) French sabre mask.
(d) British sabre mask.
4. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
5. What refers to the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What German social scientist, author, political theorist and philosopher co-founded communist theory, alongside Karl Marx?
2. What Surrealist journal is cited in Section 2 of Mad Love?
3. Breton stated, in the first postscript of Section 3, that he had repressed the connection between the spoon and the what?
4. What is the second of the two essential questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
5. What story did the spoon from the flea market evoke for Breton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton associate with his sense of discord on his trip in Section 6?
2. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
3. What automatic writing games did Breton describe in Section 5?
4. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
5. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
6. How old was Aube when Mad Love was written? How did Breton address her in the final section of the book?
7. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
8. What images did Breton use in closing Mad Love?
9. What did Breton feel the edits had done to the poem "Sunflower"?
10. What is the subject and focus of Section 4? How does this section contrast from the previous one?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)