|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book's last line stated, "beauty will be CONVULSIVE or will not be at all"?
(a) Ralentir travaux.
(b) La Revolver à cheveux blancs.
(c) Un Cadavre.
2. Who wrote "Annabel Lee"?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Comte de Lautréamont.
(c) Alfred Jarry.
(d) Arthur Rimbaud.
3. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
4. What did the dishwasher shout in the diner, as described by Breton in Section 1?
(a) "Poisson soluble."
(b) "S'il Vous Plaît."
(c) "La bouche!"
5. Breton uses a metaphor in Section 1 comparing great quartz crystals found in grottoes in Europe and the simple crystals found in what?
(a) Rock salt.
(d) Building material.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French aristocrat and author from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century is known for his erotic and blasphemous novels, many of which were written while he was imprisoned?
2. What fragmented phrase had Breton thought of months earlier, which resurfaced after the flea market in Section 3?
3. What American writer, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement, was best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre?
4. Breton claimed in Section 3 that the found object acted as a _____ for Giacometti.
5. In Freud's theory, the ego mediates among the ___, the super-ego and the external world.
Short Essay Questions
1. What art form does Breton open Mad Love discussing? Why?
2. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
3. Who was Friedrich Engels? How did he influence Breton?
4. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
5. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
6. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
7. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
8. Who was Sigmund Freud? What impact did he have on the Surrealist Movement?
9. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
10. What was Breton's conclusion of the purpose of the objects in Section 3?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)