|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
2. What did Breton recall an early definition of as "big spoons, enormous bitter-apples, and chandeliers of soap bubbles"?
3. Which component of Freud's psychological model acts according to the "pleasure principle", seeking to avoid pain or displeasure aroused by increases in instinctual tension?
4. What is the second of the two essential questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
(a) "What do you consider the essential encounter of your life?"
(b) "What is the meaning of life?"
(c) "To what extent did this encounter seem to you, and, does it seem to you now, to be fortuitous or foreordained?"
(d) "What do you want the most out of life?"
5. What refers to a pack of cards (most commonly numbering 78), used from the mid-15th century in various parts of Europe to play a group of card games and for divination?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
2. What term refers to a violent agitation or disturbance; commotion?
3. When was The Surrealist Manifesto released?
4. What Surrealist journal is cited in Section 2 of Mad Love?
5. What season was it that Breton went to the flea market with his friend in Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton and Giacometti conclude of the first object in Section 3?
2. What did Breton write in Section 1 of "the woman to appear"? How did he relate this to the Tarot?
3. What did the second found object in Section 3 represent for Breton?
4. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
5. How did Breton define "chance" in Section 2?
6. What did Breton conclude about the use of public survey in Section 2?
7. Who was Man Ray? What contributions did he lend to Mad Love?
8. What is the subject and focus of Section 2 in Mad Love?
9. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
10. What did Breton conclude would be his approach in Mad Love in Section 2?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)