|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Breton meet Lamba?
2. What was the second object found by Breton and his friend at the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A doll.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A mask.
3. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Jacques Vaché.
(c) Stephen Mallarmé.
(d) Francois Depardieux.
4. Section 3 begins by invoking one of the cornerstones of the avant-garde, referred to as what?
(a) The obscure.
(b) The new.
(c) The rebellious.
(d) The different.
5. When was the second postscript of Section 3 written?
Short Answer Questions
1. What German social scientist, author, political theorist and philosopher co-founded communist theory, alongside Karl Marx?
2. What is the first of the questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
3. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
4. What nineteenth-century French poet's Les fleurs du mal was very influential on surrealism?
5. Who wrote Mad Love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
2. What did Breton note about Giacometti's sculpture in Section 3?
3. What did Breton remark of "desire" in Section 5? Did Breton view desire as a positive or negative emotion?
4. What descriptions of Paris did Breton relate in Section 4? What monument did he take note of?
5. What imagery did Breton use in Section 5? What is the subject of this section?
6. What did Breton write regarding The Origins of Family in Section 5?
7. What is the subject and focus of Section 6? How does it relate to Section 6?
8. What artists were discussed by Breton in Section 1?
9. What metaphors did Breton use in describing the flora and fauna at the volcano in Section 5?
10. Why did Breton cite Pablo Picasso in Section 7?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)