|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the second postscript of Section 3 written?
2. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Stephen Mallarmé.
(c) Francois Depardieux.
(d) Jacques Vaché.
3. What German social scientist, author, political theorist and philosopher co-founded communist theory, alongside Karl Marx?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Friedrich Engels.
(d) Benito Mussolini.
4. What represents that organized part of the personality structure that includes defensive, perceptual, intellectual-cognitive, and executive functions?
5. What did Breton recall an early definition of as "big spoons, enormous bitter-apples, and chandeliers of soap bubbles"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
2. What is the second of the two essential questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
3. What art form does Breton invoke in the beginning of Mad Love?
4. What Austrian neurologist founded the psychoanalytic school of psychiatry?
5. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Breton remark about the responses received from the survey in Section 2?
2. What metaphor did Breton use in defining "convulsive beauty" in Section 1?
3. What did Breton write of "chance" in surrealist theory in Section 1?
4. What did Breton write in the postscripts for Section 3?
5. What is the subject and focus of Mad Love? What previous work of Andre Breton's did it expand upon?
6. How did Breton define "chance" in Section 2?
7. What is the subject and focus of Section 3? What story did Breton retell in illustrating this subject?
8. What story of a diner did Breton recount in Section 1? What descriptions did he use?
9. What did the dishwasher call out in the diner, in Section 1? Why did Breton point to this?
10. What lines of Lautremont's did Breton quote in Section 1? Why?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)