|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Alice in Wonderland?
(a) F. Walter Scott.
(b) Andre Breton.
(c) Richard Burns.
(d) Lewis Carroll.
2. Who summarized his approach in the first line of chapter one of The Communist Manifesto: "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles"?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) Antonin Artaud.
(c) Friedrich Engels.
(d) Karl Marx.
3. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
(a) René Char.
(b) Paul Cezanne.
(c) Salvador Dali.
4. The killer in Section 6 claimed in court that he had been driven to exasperation in part due to his wife's long-standing refusal of what?
(a) Sexual advances.
(b) Having children.
(d) Doing housework.
5. What French writer and poet, novelist, critic, and political activist helped initiate the periodical Littérature?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Charles Baudelaire.
(c) Pierre Reverdy.
(d) Philippe Soupault.
6. What did Breton write that he considered "temptation" to be?
7. Where was Pierre Reverdy born?
(a) Narbonne, France.
(b) Sicily, Italy.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Bois de Boulogne, France.
8. What was Jacqueline Lamba's occupation?
9. What poem of Baudelaire's is discussed in Section 5?
10. New Justine was set against the backdrop of what location?
(a) Mt. Etna.
(b) Mt. McKinley.
(c) The Swiss Alps.
(d) Mt. Ranier.
11. While Section 5 ends by extolling love and passion, Section 6 emphasizes what?
12. When was Alice in Wonderland published?
13. What did Breton refer to as "a splendid fourteenth-century French town today abandoned to gypsies"?
(a) Bois de Boulogne.
(b) ÃŽle Saint-Louis.
(c) Tour Saint-Jacques.
14. Who directed the film, L'Age d'or?
(a) Andre Breton.
(b) Salvador Dali.
(c) Luis Bunuel.
(d) Paul Cezanne.
15. What astrological sign was Andre Breton?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was L'Age d'or released?
2. In what year was Salvador Dali born?
3. What happened later the same evening that Breton wrote of having met Lamba?
4. The island volcano that Breton went to in Section 5 was a part of what body of islands?
5. Breton regretted, in Section 4, that he no longer had the _____ of "Sunflower."
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)