|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
(a) 390 BC.
(b) 123 BC.
(c) 200 BC.
(d) 293 BC.
2. What did Breton note about the stories of Venus in Section 6?
3. When did Jacqueline Lamba die?
4. Who was presumably with Breton in Brittany in Section 6?
5. In Section 5, Breton compared passing through the rough landscape to the volcano with passing through what?
6. In Section 4, Breton cites one of his poems where the tower sways like what?
(a) A sunflower.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A tree.
(d) A blade of grass.
7. New Justine was set against the backdrop of what location?
(a) The Swiss Alps.
(b) Mt. Ranier.
(c) Mt. McKinley.
(d) Mt. Etna.
8. Where was Salvador Dali from?
9. Who wrote New Justine, which was lauded by Breton in Section 5?
(a) Charles Baudelaire.
(b) Marquis de Sade.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Salvador Dali.
10. Who summarized his approach in the first line of chapter one of The Communist Manifesto: "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles"?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) Antonin Artaud.
(c) Friedrich Engels.
(d) Karl Marx.
11. In Section 5, Breton described some of the automatic writing games, including the repetition of some "childhood mirages," most notably the phrases "tree for bread" and "tree for" what?
12. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(b) René Char.
(d) Paul Cezanne.
13. What refers to the practice of marriage with only one person at a time?
14. In what year was "Sunflower" written?
15. When was Alice in Wonderland published?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Breton and Lamba pass after the Tour Saint-Jacques?
2. What book states that once private property is abolished, "we can reasonably affirm that far from disappearing, monogamy will be realized for the first time'"?
3. Breton noted in Section 6 that his birthday coincides with the conjunction of Venus with what?
4. What kind of behavior did Breton write love "stirred up" in Section 4?
5. What term means an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)