|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was presumably with Breton in Brittany in Section 6?
2. "Sunflower" is an example of what type of poetry?
3. According to Breton, "____, the only motive of the world, ____, the only rigor humans must be acquainted with, where could I better situated to adore it than on the inside of the cloud?
4. Who was Jacqueline Lamba's second husband?
(a) Samuel Beckett.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Andrew Lloyd Webber.
(d) David Hare.
5. The island volcano that Breton went to in Section 5 was a part of what body of islands?
(a) Spanish Canary Islands.
(b) Mediterranean Islands.
(c) Hawaiian Islands.
(d) Virgin Islands.
6. It was suggested to Breton that the house in Section 6 was where what had occurred?
(a) His dream.
(b) A murder.
(c) A vision.
(d) A hurricane.
7. What did Breton refer to as "a splendid fourteenth-century French town today abandoned to gypsies"?
(a) Tour Saint-Jacques.
(b) ÃŽle Saint-Louis.
(d) Bois de Boulogne.
8. When did Jacqueline Lamba die?
9. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
10. In reviewing his poem, "Sunflower," Breton wrote, "Today I am unhesitatingly convinced of its profound ____."
11. Brittany is located where in France?
12. What term refers to that of high moral, aesthetic, intellectual, or spiritual value; noble; exalted?
13. Who wrote Alice in Wonderland?
(a) Andre Breton.
(b) F. Walter Scott.
(c) Richard Burns.
(d) Lewis Carroll.
14. The killer in Section 6 claimed in court that he had been driven to exasperation in part due to his wife's long-standing refusal of what?
(b) Having children.
(c) Doing housework.
(d) Sexual advances.
15. Breton wrote, "What is required most earnestly to keep up this sort of life loses all its value at the passage of the great _____."
(a) Dream fantasy.
(b) Dream trees.
(c) Dream fruits.
(d) Mad love.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his descriptions of Lamba, where did Breton write of "a tiny, unforgettable fern climbing the inside wall of an ancient well, the deepest, most somber, and most extensive of all those that I have ever leaned over"?
2. Where was Salvador Dali from?
3. Where did Breton and Lamba pass after the Tour Saint-Jacques?
4. What kind of behavior did Breton write love "stirred up" in Section 4?
5. In its ability to foresee his relationship with Lamba, Breton referred to the poem "Sunflower" as a poem of what?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)