|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
(a) René Char.
(b) Paul Cezanne.
(c) Salvador Dali.
2. Where was Pierre Reverdy born?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Bois de Boulogne, France.
(c) Sicily, Italy.
(d) Narbonne, France.
3. What did Breton suggest had had a major influence on his love life in Section 6?
4. What refers to the practice of marriage with only one person at a time?
5. What did Breton note about the stories of Venus in Section 6?
6. Where did Breton go to the top of a volcano in Section 5?
(c) La Palma.
(d) Gran Canaria.
7. Paul Cézanne can be said to form the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and what early 20th century's new line of artistic inquiry?
8. What did Breton write that he considered "temptation" to be?
9. What happened later the same evening that Breton wrote of having met Lamba?
(a) They never spoke.
(b) They were married.
(c) They had an argument.
(d) They had their first rendevous.
10. When did Jacqueline Lamba die?
11. In what year did Breton describe a trip to Brittany, in Section 6?
12. Who wrote the Aeneid?
13. Who summarized his approach in the first line of chapter one of The Communist Manifesto: "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles"?
(a) Friedrich Engels.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
14. Who was a Trojan hero, the son of the prince Anchises and the goddess Aphrodite?
15. The island volcano that Breton went to in Section 5 was a part of what body of islands?
(a) Mediterranean Islands.
(b) Virgin Islands.
(c) Spanish Canary Islands.
(d) Hawaiian Islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 4, Breton cites one of his poems where the tower sways like what?
2. It was suggested to Breton that the house in Section 6 was where what had occurred?
3. Who painted The House of the Hanged Man?
4. What did Breton refer to as "a splendid fourteenth-century French town today abandoned to gypsies"?
5. What did Breton see as a monument to things that are hidden, in Section 4?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)