|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Breton noted in Section 6 that his birthday coincides with the conjunction of Venus with what?
(c) The moon.
2. What was Jacqueline Lamba's occupation?
3. Where was Salvador Dali from?
4. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
5. Who was Jacqueline Lamba's second husband?
(a) David Hare.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Andrew Lloyd Webber.
(d) Samuel Beckett.
6. Who summarized his approach in the first line of chapter one of The Communist Manifesto: "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles"?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Friedrich Engels.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
7. It was suggested to Breton that the house in Section 6 was where what had occurred?
(a) A vision.
(b) His dream.
(c) A murder.
(d) A hurricane.
8. Who directed the film, L'Age d'or?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(b) Paul Cezanne.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Luis Bunuel.
9. Who wrote Alice in Wonderland?
(a) Lewis Carroll.
(b) Richard Burns.
(c) F. Walter Scott.
(d) Andre Breton.
10. Venus is associated with what Greek goddess?
11. While Section 5 ends by extolling love and passion, Section 6 emphasizes what?
12. Where did Breton go to the top of a volcano in Section 5?
(a) Gran Canaria.
(c) La Palma.
13. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
(a) 200 BC.
(b) 293 BC.
(c) 390 BC.
(d) 123 BC.
14. What happened later the same evening that Breton wrote of having met Lamba?
(a) They never spoke.
(b) They were married.
(c) They had their first rendevous.
(d) They had an argument.
15. What French writer and poet, novelist, critic, and political activist helped initiate the periodical Littérature?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Philippe Soupault.
(c) Charles Baudelaire.
(d) Pierre Reverdy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Breton note about the stories of Venus in Section 6?
2. The film L'Age d'or was controversial because it was considered an attack on what?
3. In what year was Salvador Dali born?
4. What did Breton see as a monument to things that are hidden, in Section 4?
5. What is the narrative point of view Breton used in describing his trip to Brittany, in Section 6?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)