|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The killer in Section 6 claimed in court that he had been driven to exasperation in part due to his wife's long-standing refusal of what?
(a) Sexual advances.
(b) Doing housework.
(c) Having children.
2. New Justine was set against the backdrop of what location?
(a) Mt. McKinley.
(b) Mt. Ranier.
(c) Mt. Etna.
(d) The Swiss Alps.
3. What did Breton suggest had had a major influence on his love life in Section 6?
4. In describing Lamba, Breton wrote, "This young woman who just entered appeared to be swathed in mist - clothed in" what?
5. Who was presumably with Breton in Brittany in Section 6?
6. What happened later the same evening that Breton wrote of having met Lamba?
(a) They had their first rendevous.
(b) They were married.
(c) They never spoke.
(d) They had an argument.
7. What did Breton see as a monument to things that are hidden, in Section 4?
(a) ÃŽle Saint-Louis.
(b) Tour Saint-Jacques.
(d) Bois de Boulogne.
8. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(c) René Char.
(d) Paul Cezanne.
9. Breton wrote, "What is required most earnestly to keep up this sort of life loses all its value at the passage of the great _____."
(a) Dream trees.
(b) Dream fruits.
(c) Dream fantasy.
(d) Mad love.
10. In what month did Breton describe visiting Brittany, in Section 6?
11. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
12. Breton remarked in Section 4 that he had retained a copy of "Sunflower" for over how long?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 25 years.
13. In what year was Salvador Dali born?
14. Who was a Trojan hero, the son of the prince Anchises and the goddess Aphrodite?
15. When was Paul Cezanne born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Brittany is located where in France?
2. Breton noted in Section 6 that his birthday coincides with the conjunction of Venus with what?
3. Who summarized his approach in the first line of chapter one of The Communist Manifesto: "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles"?
4. According to Breton, "____, the only motive of the world, ____, the only rigor humans must be acquainted with, where could I better situated to adore it than on the inside of the cloud?
5. What did Breton note about the stories of Venus in Section 6?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)