|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to that of high moral, aesthetic, intellectual, or spiritual value; noble; exalted?
2. Jacqueline Lamba was which of Andre Breton's wives?
3. Breton remarked in Section 4 that he had retained a copy of "Sunflower" for over how long?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 15 years.
4. What is the narrative point of view Breton used in describing his trip to Brittany, in Section 6?
(a) Second person plural.
(b) Third person singular.
(c) First person singular.
(d) First person plural.
5. In Section 5, Breton described some of the automatic writing games, including the repetition of some "childhood mirages," most notably the phrases "tree for bread" and "tree for" what?
6. Paul Cézanne can be said to form the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and what early 20th century's new line of artistic inquiry?
7. In what year was "Sunflower" written?
8. "Sunflower" is an example of what type of poetry?
9. New Justine was set against the backdrop of what location?
(a) Mt. Ranier.
(b) Mt. McKinley.
(c) The Swiss Alps.
(d) Mt. Etna.
10. Who wrote Alice in Wonderland?
(a) Lewis Carroll.
(b) Andre Breton.
(c) Richard Burns.
(d) F. Walter Scott.
11. Who wrote the Aeneid?
12. What French writer and poet, novelist, critic, and political activist helped initiate the periodical Littérature?
(a) Charles Baudelaire.
(b) Pierre Reverdy.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Philippe Soupault.
13. Breton wrote, "What is required most earnestly to keep up this sort of life loses all its value at the passage of the great _____."
(a) Dream fruits.
(b) Dream fantasy.
(c) Mad love.
(d) Dream trees.
14. Where was Pierre Reverdy born?
(a) Narbonne, France.
(b) Sicily, Italy.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Bois de Boulogne, France.
15. Who wrote the film, L'Age d'or?
(a) Luis Bunuel.
(b) Paul Cezanne.
(c) Salvador Dali.
(d) Andre Breton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term means an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast?
2. What was Jacqueline Lamba's occupation?
3. When did Jacqueline Lamba die?
4. In reviewing his poem, "Sunflower," Breton wrote, "Today I am unhesitatingly convinced of its profound ____."
5. What did Breton see as a monument to things that are hidden, in Section 4?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)