|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Breton suggest had had a major influence on his love life in Section 6?
2. What term means an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast?
3. What French writer and poet, novelist, critic, and political activist helped initiate the periodical Littérature?
(a) Pierre Reverdy.
(b) Charles Baudelaire.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Philippe Soupault.
4. "Sunflower" is an example of what type of poetry?
5. What happened later the same evening that Breton wrote of having met Lamba?
(a) They never spoke.
(b) They were married.
(c) They had an argument.
(d) They had their first rendevous.
6. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
(a) 123 BC.
(b) 390 BC.
(c) 200 BC.
(d) 293 BC.
7. In describing Lamba, Breton wrote, "This young woman who just entered appeared to be swathed in mist - clothed in" what?
8. When was Paul Cezanne born?
9. The island volcano that Breton went to in Section 5 was a part of what body of islands?
(a) Mediterranean Islands.
(b) Spanish Canary Islands.
(c) Hawaiian Islands.
(d) Virgin Islands.
10. What kind of behavior did Breton write love "stirred up" in Section 4?
11. Breton wrote, "What is required most earnestly to keep up this sort of life loses all its value at the passage of the great _____."
(a) Mad love.
(b) Dream fantasy.
(c) Dream fruits.
(d) Dream trees.
12. What poem of Baudelaire's is discussed in Section 5?
13. Breton regretted, in Section 4, that he no longer had the _____ of "Sunflower."
(a) Original manuscript.
(b) Last adaptation.
(c) Second version.
(d) Third version.
14. When was Alice in Wonderland published?
15. Who was presumably with Breton in Brittany in Section 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Breton refers to the myth of Venus and the what?
2. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
3. In what year was Salvador Dali born?
4. Jacqueline Lamba was which of Andre Breton's wives?
5. Breton noted in Section 6 that his birthday coincides with the conjunction of Venus with what?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)