|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Jacqueline Lamba's occupation?
2. What French writer and poet, novelist, critic, and political activist helped initiate the periodical Littérature?
(a) Philippe Soupault.
(b) Antonin Artaud.
(c) Pierre Reverdy.
(d) Charles Baudelaire.
3. In the end of Section 4, Breton sat in a restaurant with Paul Eluard and who?
(b) René Char.
(c) Paul Cezanne.
(d) Salvador Dali.
4. When was L'Age d'or released?
5. When was Paul Cezanne born?
6. In Section 5, Breton described some of the automatic writing games, including the repetition of some "childhood mirages," most notably the phrases "tree for bread" and "tree for" what?
7. Breton refers to the myth of Venus and the what?
(a) Golden Ring.
(b) Golden Harp.
(c) Golden Hind.
(d) Golden Apple.
8. When was Pierre Reverdy born?
9. In its ability to foresee his relationship with Lamba, Breton referred to the poem "Sunflower" as a poem of what?
10. According to Breton, "____, the only motive of the world, ____, the only rigor humans must be acquainted with, where could I better situated to adore it than on the inside of the cloud?
11. In Section 4, Breton cites one of his poems where the tower sways like what?
(a) A blade of grass.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A tree.
(d) A sunflower.
12. The island volcano that Breton went to in Section 5 was a part of what body of islands?
(a) Mediterranean Islands.
(b) Hawaiian Islands.
(c) Virgin Islands.
(d) Spanish Canary Islands.
13. It was suggested to Breton that the house in Section 6 was where what had occurred?
(a) A murder.
(b) A vision.
(c) His dream.
(d) A hurricane.
14. Breton remarked in Section 4 that he had retained a copy of "Sunflower" for over how long?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 15 years.
15. Who painted The House of the Hanged Man?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(b) Paul Cezanne.
(c) Charles Baudelaire.
(d) Antonin Artaud.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Salvador Dali from?
2. When was Jacqueline Lamba born?
3. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
4. In reviewing his poem, "Sunflower," Breton wrote, "Today I am unhesitatingly convinced of its profound ____."
5. Who wrote Alice in Wonderland?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)