|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 5, Breton described some of the automatic writing games, including the repetition of some "childhood mirages," most notably the phrases "tree for bread" and "tree for" what?
2. Who was presumably with Breton in Brittany in Section 6?
3. Regarding the poem, "Sunflower," Breton wrote, ""I say that there isn't anything in this poem of 1923 that did not announce the most important thing to happen to me in ____."
4. When was L'Age d'or released?
5. When did Jacqueline Lamba die?
6. Breton regretted, in Section 4, that he no longer had the _____ of "Sunflower."
(a) Third version.
(b) Second version.
(c) Original manuscript.
(d) Last adaptation.
7. What did Breton see as a monument to things that are hidden, in Section 4?
(b) ÃŽle Saint-Louis.
(c) Bois de Boulogne.
(d) Tour Saint-Jacques.
8. What poem of Baudelaire's is discussed in Section 5?
9. What is the narrative point of view Breton used in describing his trip to Brittany, in Section 6?
(a) Third person singular.
(b) Second person plural.
(c) First person singular.
(d) First person plural.
10. Who painted The House of the Hanged Man?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(b) Antonin Artaud.
(c) Charles Baudelaire.
(d) Paul Cezanne.
11. According to Breton, "____, the only motive of the world, ____, the only rigor humans must be acquainted with, where could I better situated to adore it than on the inside of the cloud?
12. What did Breton suggest had had a major influence on his love life in Section 6?
13. What did Breton note about the stories of Venus in Section 6?
14. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
(a) 293 BC.
(b) 390 BC.
(c) 200 BC.
(d) 123 BC.
15. In Section 4, Breton cites one of his poems where the tower sways like what?
(a) A sunflower.
(b) A blade of grass.
(c) A tree.
(d) A bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
2. What term refers to that of high moral, aesthetic, intellectual, or spiritual value; noble; exalted?
3. Where did Breton and Lamba pass after the Tour Saint-Jacques?
4. In Section 5, Breton compared passing through the rough landscape to the volcano with passing through what?
5. "Sunflower" is an example of what type of poetry?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)