|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Breton go to the top of a volcano in Section 5?
(a) La Palma.
(b) Gran Canaria.
2. Who was a Trojan hero, the son of the prince Anchises and the goddess Aphrodite?
3. Regarding the poem, "Sunflower," Breton wrote, ""I say that there isn't anything in this poem of 1923 that did not announce the most important thing to happen to me in ____."
4. The film L'Age d'or was controversial because it was considered an attack on what?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) The Anglican Church.
(c) World War I.
(d) Western Civilization.
5. Venus is associated with what Greek goddess?
6. New Justine was set against the backdrop of what location?
(a) The Swiss Alps.
(b) Mt. McKinley.
(c) Mt. Ranier.
(d) Mt. Etna.
7. What term refers to that of high moral, aesthetic, intellectual, or spiritual value; noble; exalted?
8. When was Jacqueline Lamba born?
9. Breton wrote, "What is required most earnestly to keep up this sort of life loses all its value at the passage of the great _____."
(a) Dream fantasy.
(b) Dream trees.
(c) Dream fruits.
(d) Mad love.
10. In what month did Breton describe visiting Brittany, in Section 6?
11. What term means an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast?
12. Paul Cézanne can be said to form the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and what early 20th century's new line of artistic inquiry?
13. In Section 5, Breton described some of the automatic writing games, including the repetition of some "childhood mirages," most notably the phrases "tree for bread" and "tree for" what?
14. What poem of Baudelaire's is discussed in Section 5?
15. What did Breton note about the stories of Venus in Section 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the practice of marriage with only one person at a time?
2. Where was Salvador Dali from?
3. In reviewing his poem, "Sunflower," Breton wrote, "Today I am unhesitatingly convinced of its profound ____."
4. Who directed the film, L'Age d'or?
5. Who wrote the film, L'Age d'or?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)