|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Breton noted in Section 6 that his birthday coincides with the conjunction of Venus with what?
(d) The moon.
2. Who does Breton refer to as a symbolic founder of civilization in Section 6?
3. Where did Breton go to the top of a volcano in Section 5?
(c) La Palma.
(d) Gran Canaria.
4. When was Paul Cezanne born?
5. Breton regretted, in Section 4, that he no longer had the _____ of "Sunflower."
(a) Second version.
(b) Original manuscript.
(c) Third version.
(d) Last adaptation.
6. Who painted The House of the Hanged Man?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Salvador Dali.
(c) Charles Baudelaire.
(d) Paul Cezanne.
7. Who wrote the film, L'Age d'or?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(b) Paul Cezanne.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Luis Bunuel.
8. In what year was "Sunflower" written?
9. When was L'Age d'or released?
10. What poem of Baudelaire's is discussed in Section 5?
11. Paul Cézanne can be said to form the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and what early 20th century's new line of artistic inquiry?
12. When was the oldest known temple of Venus dedicated?
(a) 123 BC.
(b) 390 BC.
(c) 200 BC.
(d) 293 BC.
13. Jacqueline Lamba was which of Andre Breton's wives?
14. Who was presumably with Breton in Brittany in Section 6?
15. In Section 5, Breton made the connection between lovers as linked and lacy grass and as what in turn?
(a) Trees and flowers.
(b) Kittens and puppies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his descriptions of Lamba, where did Breton write of "a tiny, unforgettable fern climbing the inside wall of an ancient well, the deepest, most somber, and most extensive of all those that I have ever leaned over"?
2. What book states that once private property is abolished, "we can reasonably affirm that far from disappearing, monogamy will be realized for the first time'"?
3. In its ability to foresee his relationship with Lamba, Breton referred to the poem "Sunflower" as a poem of what?
4. While Section 5 ends by extolling love and passion, Section 6 emphasizes what?
5. What kind of behavior did Breton write love "stirred up" in Section 4?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)