|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who published Civilization and Its Discontents?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Friedrich Engels.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
2. What book's last line stated, "beauty will be CONVULSIVE or will not be at all"?
(a) La Revolver à cheveux blancs.
(b) Ralentir travaux.
(d) Un Cadavre.
3. Which component of Freud's psychological model acts according to the "pleasure principle", seeking to avoid pain or displeasure aroused by increases in instinctual tension?
4. Who wrote The Poverty of Philosophy?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) Friedrich Engels.
(c) Karl Marx.
(d) Benito Mussolini.
5. What did the dishwasher shout in the diner, as described by Breton in Section 1?
(b) "S'il Vous Plaît."
(c) "La bouche!"
(d) "Poisson soluble."
Short Answer Questions
1. Breton and his friend, in Section 3, associated the mask's original purpose as being what?
2. What was the second object found by Breton and his friend at the flea market in Section 3?
3. What French aristocrat and author from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century is known for his erotic and blasphemous novels, many of which were written while he was imprisoned?
4. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
5. What term relates to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)