|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has caused Macbeth's fiery rage while the soldiers are all in Dunsinane?
2. How many soldiers are in Dunsinane in Act 5, Scene 3?
3. What is Macbeth's title in the castle at Dunsinane?
4. What brings Siward comfort when he hears of his son's death?
5. Who of the following is not among the soldiers in Dunsinane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Malcolm so afraid for his life in Act 3, Scene 6?
2. How does Macduff prove that he has slain Macbeth?
3. How does Angus pledge to purge Macbeth of his bloodlusty sickness?
4. Where is most of Malcolm's army from?
5. What about his new English soldiers is Malcolm most worried about?
6. Why does Macbeth not want to receive any more reports from the doctor and his attendant in Act 5, Scene 2?
7. In Act 4, Scene 2, why is Lady Macduff so frustrated with the flight of her husband?
8. How was Macduff born?
9. What is the source of a horrible shrill cry Macbeth hears while preparing for battle in Act 5, Scene 5?
10. What is peculiar about the appearance of the surprise visitor to Macbeth's banquet in Act 3, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides is a theme presented in this play. What are some of the examples of this theme, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
General Siward was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Siward had not been in the play at all?
Essay Topic 3
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)