|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers are in Dunsinane in Act 5, Scene 3?
2. What do the soldiers in Dunsinane enter Act 5, Scene 2 with?
3. Where does the first scene in Act 5 take place?
4. Who wants to take revenge personally on Macbeth during the battle at the castle?
5. Who are speaking at the beginning of Act 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Macbeth's army so small in comparison to Malcolm's army?
2. Where is most of Malcolm's army from?
3. Where has Macduff fled to after hearing about Banquo's death?
4. What does Macbeth see at the banquet that frightens him beyond measure?
5. What is the source of a horrible shrill cry Macbeth hears while preparing for battle in Act 5, Scene 5?
6. Why does Macbeth not want to receive any more reports from the doctor and his attendant in Act 5, Scene 2?
7. How was Macduff born?
8. What does Macbeth ask Seyton to help him with before the battle begins?
9. Why does Malcolm tell lies to Macduff as they converse in England?
10. What does Macbeth think his enemies will suffer before he is defeated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 3
General Siward was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Siward had not been in the play at all?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)