|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Macduff tell Malcolm to do after they have both fled?
2. What makes Macbeth feel invincible in Act 5?
3. Who appears at the door when the banquet first begins?
4. What does Macbeth tell the unexpected visitor to the hall at the beginning of the banquet to do?
5. What were the boughs held by the army used for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is peculiar about the appearance of the surprise visitor to Macbeth's banquet in Act 3, Scene 4?
2. How was Macduff born?
3. What about his new English soldiers is Malcolm most worried about?
4. Where is most of Malcolm's army from?
5. What does Macbeth think his enemies will suffer before he is defeated?
6. How does Macduff prove that he has slain Macbeth?
7. Why does Malcolm tell lies to Macduff as they converse in England?
8. What does Macbeth ask Seyton to help him with before the battle begins?
9. Why does Macbeth not want to receive any more reports from the doctor and his attendant in Act 5, Scene 2?
10. What is the source of a horrible shrill cry Macbeth hears while preparing for battle in Act 5, Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)