|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two reasons does Macbeth give for not wanting to kill Duncan?
2. What does Lady Macbeth tell her husband to do in front of the king when he comes to their home?
3. Who is sent for to help the wounded sergeant in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Malcolm tell Duncan of the Thane of Cawdor just before the new Thane is named?
5. What is Lady Macbeth assured of after Banquo rides away from the castle in Act 3, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first scene of the play, who else do the witches say they will meet with when they next meet?
2. How did the Thane of Cawdor die?
3. What is the Porter doing just after Duncan is assassinated?
4. What causes Macbeth to hesitate in killing Duncan?
5. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
6. After reading her husband's letter in Act 1, Scene 5, what does Lady Macbeth fear Macbeth may be?
7. What is Banquo's first impression of Macbeth's castle?
8. What does Banquo wish to speak with Macbeth about late in the night just before Macbeth murders Duncan?
9. What plans does Macbeth hide from his wife in Act 3, Scene 2?
10. When do the witches vow to meet again before they part at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the play and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this play are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Valor is a theme of this play very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself, and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)