|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Malcolm and Duncan related?
2. Who is speaking with the Old Man when he first appears on stage?
3. Which of the following is NOT a strange anomaly seen by the old man?
4. How are Banquo and Fleance related?
5. What are the witches anticipating at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Duncan's sons both considered suspects in Duncan's murder?
2. What causes Macbeth to hesitate in killing Duncan?
3. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Macbeth lament that Banquo has taken from him?
4. What does Lady Macbeth do in order to allow for Macbeth to have safe passage past Duncan's chamberlains in Act 1, Scene 7?
5. What plans does Macbeth hide from his wife in Act 3, Scene 2?
6. When do the witches vow to meet again before they part at the beginning of the play?
7. What is Banquo's first impression of Macbeth's castle?
8. In Act 1, Scnee 6, what does Duncan say helped Macbeth to arrive at his castle so far ahead of himself?
9. What does Ross speak with an old man about the morning after Duncan's assassination?
10. What is the Porter doing just after Duncan is assassinated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides is a theme presented in this play. What are some of the examples of this theme, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this play that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does Macbeth's relationship with his wife change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the play?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)