|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 4, in an aside to the audience, what does Macbeth say he is carrying?
2. What is Lady Macbeth assured of after Banquo rides away from the castle in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Where is Macbeth going to be crowned king?
4. Who is the first to greet Duncan at Macbeth's castle?
5. Where does Duncan decide to camp at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a sailor's wife offend one of the witches?
2. Who does Duncan say will replace the Thane of Cawdor in his position?
3. What causes Macbeth to hesitate in killing Duncan?
4. What does Duncan reward Lady Macbeth with the evening before his assassination?
5. What plans does Macbeth hide from his wife in Act 3, Scene 2?
6. How does Macbeth plan to kill Banquo and his son?
7. In Act 1, Scnee 6, what does Duncan say helped Macbeth to arrive at his castle so far ahead of himself?
8. In Act 1, Scene 4, what title does Duncan bestow upon Malcolm after the battle?
9. After reading her husband's letter in Act 1, Scene 5, what does Lady Macbeth fear Macbeth may be?
10. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the play and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this play. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)