|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so surprising about the way Lady Macbeth treats the king when he arrives at her castle in Act 1, Scene 6?
2. Who is the first to greet Duncan at Macbeth's castle?
3. What color does Macbeth say he shall make the green sea?
4. Who offends the first witch in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What two reasons does Macbeth give for not wanting to kill Duncan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is to be done with the captured Thane of Cawdor in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Where is most of Malcolm's army from?
3. How does Macbeth feel about his first kill in the battle against Malcolm?
4. What does Duncan make the King of Norway do in order to bury his dead?
5. What is Hecate mad at the three witches for?
6. What does Duncan reward Lady Macbeth with the evening before his assassination?
7. What does Malcolm suggest that his soldiers use as camouflage while approaching Macbeth's castle?
8. What does Ross speak with an old man about the morning after Duncan's assassination?
9. What does Banquo wish to speak with Macbeth about late in the night just before Macbeth murders Duncan?
10. When do the witches vow to meet again before they part at the beginning of the play?
Essay Topic 1
What were the prophecies given to Macbeth, and how do these prophecies alter the progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)