|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Macbeth give the chamberlains to make them sleep?
2. What two reasons does Macbeth give for not wanting to kill Duncan?
3. What does Banquo suffer from on his first night in Macbeth's castle?
4. in Act 1, Scene 3, what do the witches tell Macbeth he will become?
5. Where is the Old Man standing when he first appears on stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 4, what title does Duncan bestow upon Malcolm after the battle?
2. What plans does Macbeth hide from his wife in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Why does Macbeth want Banquo and his son killed?
4. What does one of the witches sense in the air in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does Lady Macbeth do in order to allow for Macbeth to have safe passage past Duncan's chamberlains in Act 1, Scene 7?
6. What does Ross speak with an old man about the morning after Duncan's assassination?
7. After reading her husband's letter in Act 1, Scene 5, what does Lady Macbeth fear Macbeth may be?
8. Who is framed for Duncan's murder?
9. In Act 1, Scnee 6, what does Duncan say helped Macbeth to arrive at his castle so far ahead of himself?
10. Why are Duncan's sons both considered suspects in Duncan's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
General Siward was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Siward had not been in the play at all?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)