|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, why does the sergeant not finish telling Duncan of the battle?
2. What news does Macbeth choose to not tell his wife after Banquo rides away from the castle in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Who kills Banquo?
4. How many witches are there?
5. What does Macbeth ask his wife to prepare for him for after he has completed his chore in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 1, what do the witches prophecy for Banquo's future?
2. What does Lady Macbeth do in order to allow for Macbeth to have safe passage past Duncan's chamberlains in Act 1, Scene 7?
3. What is the Porter doing just after Duncan is assassinated?
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Macbeth write to his wife about while he is away at war?
5. What causes Macbeth to hesitate in killing Duncan?
6. What does one of the witches sense in the air in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. Why are Duncan's sons both considered suspects in Duncan's murder?
8. What does Ross speak with an old man about the morning after Duncan's assassination?
9. What is Banquo's first impression of Macbeth's castle?
10. What is to be done with the captured Thane of Cawdor in Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the play and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)