|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lady Macbeth act when the king arrives at her castle in Act 1, Scene 6?
2. Who has sole responsibility for the impending doom of Banquo?
3. What does Lady Macbeth say she would do before breaking a promise?
4. Who is the first person to see the king dead?
5. Who does Macduff think is responsible for killing Duncan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one of the witches sense in the air in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What does Duncan reward Lady Macbeth with the evening before his assassination?
3. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Macbeth lament that Banquo has taken from him?
4. What plans does Macbeth hide from his wife in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. In Act 4, Scene 2, why is Lady Macduff so frustrated with the flight of her husband?
6. When do the witches vow to meet again before they part at the beginning of the play?
7. What does Duncan make the King of Norway do in order to bury his dead?
8. What does the witch do to punish the sailor's wife who offends her?
9. How does Angus pledge to purge Macbeth of his bloodlusty sickness?
10. What does Ross speak with an old man about the morning after Duncan's assassination?
Essay Topic 1
Valor is a theme of this play very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself, and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
General Siward was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Siward had not been in the play at all?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)