|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Macbeth say she would do before breaking a promise?
2. What is so surprising about the way Lady Macbeth treats the king when he arrives at her castle in Act 1, Scene 6?
3. Why is Banquo not able to attend the banquet until nightfall?
4. What is Lady Macbeth assured of after Banquo rides away from the castle in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. What does Macbeth see in a vision just as he is about to murder the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the rebel Macdonwald die?
2. What is Banquo's first impression of Macbeth's castle?
3. Who is framed for Duncan's murder?
4. In the first scene of the play, who else do the witches say they will meet with when they next meet?
5. What is to be done with the captured Thane of Cawdor in Act 1, Scene 2?
6. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
7. In Act 3, Scene 1, what do the witches prophecy for Banquo's future?
8. When do the witches vow to meet again before they part at the beginning of the play?
9. After reading her husband's letter in Act 1, Scene 5, what does Lady Macbeth fear Macbeth may be?
10. What does one of the witches sense in the air in Act 1, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 2
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)