|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Macbeth say about killing Duncan after Duncan arrives at his castle?
(a) It is not the time.
(b) He cannot do it himself.
(c) He must not be seen as the culprit.
(d) It must be done soon.
2. What do the witches vow to do at the beginning of the play?
(a) Fool the soldiers.
(b) Meet again.
(c) Kill Macbeth.
(d) Confuse the messengers.
3. What does Macbeth say the people would do if Duncan were killed?
(a) Go on with their lives.
(b) Seek justice.
4. What is so surprising about the way Lady Macbeth treats the king when he arrives at her castle in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) She is planning his murder.
(b) She should be grateful to him.
(c) She did not seem nervous before.
(d) It appears she has changed her mind.
5. What does Banquo suffer from on his first night in Macbeth's castle?
(a) A terrible rash.
(b) Bad thoughts.
(c) Flashes of hot and cold.
(d) Horrible dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who escaped the ambush on Banquo in Act 3, Scene 3 do?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, why does the sergeant not finish telling Duncan of the battle?
3. What does Banquo acknowledge in his soliloquy at the beginning of Act 3?
4. What news does Macbeth choose to not tell his wife after Banquo rides away from the castle in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. How does Lady Macbeth act when the king arrives at her castle in Act 1, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do the witches vow to meet again before they part at the beginning of the play?
2. What plans does Macbeth hide from his wife in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Macbeth write to his wife about while he is away at war?
4. Why are Duncan's sons both considered suspects in Duncan's murder?
5. What does Banquo wish to speak with Macbeth about late in the night just before Macbeth murders Duncan?
6. In Act 3, Scene 1, what do the witches prophecy for Banquo's future?
7. In Act 1, Scene 4, what title does Duncan bestow upon Malcolm after the battle?
8. What is to be done with the captured Thane of Cawdor in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. Who does Duncan say will replace the Thane of Cawdor in his position?
10. How does a sailor's wife offend one of the witches?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)