|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two reasons does Macbeth give for not wanting to kill Duncan?
(a) Duncan is the king and Macbeth loves him.
(b) The prophecy will come true on its own, and he is likely to be caught.
(c) Macbeth is his host and he is a kinsman.
(d) Lady Macbeth is crazy, and Duncan loves them both.
2. What does a voice tell Macbeth he shall do no more after killing Duncan?
3. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(a) Lightning and thunder.
(b) Torrential rain.
(c) Dark and misty.
(d) Sunny and bright.
4. What must the loser of the battle between Scotland and it's enemy do in order to bury their dead men?
(a) Steal the bodies in the night.
(b) Pay a tribute.
(c) Release their prisoners.
(d) Beg for mercy.
5. What is Macbeth's first reaction to the witches?
(a) Skeptical and unbelieving.
(b) Impatient and worried.
(c) Amazed and terrified.
(d) Surprised and disgusted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has sole responsibility for the impending doom of Banquo?
2. Why is Banquo not able to attend the banquet until nightfall?
3. Where is this play set?
4. How is the first witch offended in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What is so surprising about the way Lady Macbeth treats the king when he arrives at her castle in Act 1, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
2. What is the Porter doing just after Duncan is assassinated?
3. What does Lady Macbeth do in order to allow for Macbeth to have safe passage past Duncan's chamberlains in Act 1, Scene 7?
4. After reading her husband's letter in Act 1, Scene 5, what does Lady Macbeth fear Macbeth may be?
5. What does Macbeth think his wife will do when she hears of his devious and secret plan in Act 3, Scene 2?
6. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Macbeth write to his wife about while he is away at war?
7. When do the witches vow to meet again before they part at the beginning of the play?
8. In Act 1, Scnee 6, what does Duncan say helped Macbeth to arrive at his castle so far ahead of himself?
9. In Act 3, Scene 1, what do the witches prophecy for Banquo's future?
10. How did the Thane of Cawdor die?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)